BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:51:35 PM EDT
Well, the other night I left to go cook some dinner and watch some tv at a friend's place.
I had been gone from my apartment for about 3-4 hours.

When I returned I found all the drawers and cabnets open in my kitchen. I flicked on the light switch and saw that the sliding glass door had been ripped open in the back of my apartment. I ran upstairs to find everything had been dumped on the beds and sifted through in the bedrooms.
My Bushmaster preban 14.5" m4gery w/ the EOTech and all of its goodies, my WASR-10, my CETME, my roomate's fullsize Bushmaster AR, his custom AK pistol, and his S&W .357 were all taken. I called the cops and they came over took some photos and failed at taking some fingerprints. I'm trying to figure out the serial numbers of these firearms that have been aquired at different times over the past few years.

Whoever did it knew my place pretty well. I just moved in a week ago and placed an order to get my alarm fixed two days before the incident. I was in the processes of finding a good safe to lock everything up in. I was not aware that my back door was as vulnerable as it turned out to be. The neighbors say that people used to come over and pick up drugs or some shit from these two girls who used to live over here and moved out just a few weeks ago. I figure they knew the place pretty well or had been watching me. Whoever it was made off with all that, plenty of ammo, my new digital camera, ipod and my goddamned sunglasses of all things

I guess my babies are lost forever and somebody is either gonna try and sell them or kill somebody with them, maybe they'll come for me.

What sucks more than anything is the amount of time and money that I have put into these.

I'm a poor, enlisted college kid. I had about $2000 into my m4gery. I wouldn't be able to come by that kind of cash anytime soon. The upper (14.5 w/ Phantom) was a gift from my parents before I had to leave for 6 months of schools. The WASR-10 was my first "badass" weapon and the CETME was just fun to bump and it looked cool because someone had put the fat g3 style handguard on it.

Right now I don't know what to do. I am attempting to track down all my serial numbers over the phone through my parents digging through all my old shit I moved in their house while I was away, right now I think I've found two of them and am trying to verify with the shops a bought them from.

The reciept from my Bushmaster 6 position lower I bought right after the sunset gives two numbers, a six digit one starting with two letters, and a 9 didget one starting with BFI or BFT (the paperwork I have on it is barely readable). I'm sure one of you gun geniouses off this site would know which format is the SN for that model. I'm going to try and contact the shop with the receipt number tomorrow. I'm just trying to get my info together as quick as possible, I guess that's the best think to do in this situation when time could play such an issue.

I thank you guys for the support. I don't really know if there is any way to get any kind of compensation for what I lost. I've thought about trying to get something out of my apartment complex for negligence, as apparently they didn't do the required maintenance after the previous people left and my buddy moved in... the next day. Locks had been removed from the rear door, which I find to be odd. Also, when my alarm started going off two days before the robbery with a failure/replace batteries message I brought it to the attention of the management of my complex. They told me to disable the alarm so the noise wouldn't drive people crazy and they would send someone to fix it. That was thursday, the files in the office show that the alarm man came by on friday, but not to my place. The alarm was not armed while the robbery took place, I didn't think it could have been from what they told me. I feel as if I have been raped.

Anybody a fan of the Death Wish series with Charles Bronson?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you remember where you bought these rifles? The FFL might have yur paperwork and you could get the serial numbers from him................then fry the bastards that stole them from you!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks. Hopefully you get you're stuff back. That is why I always keep serial numbers of all my firearms in a safe place. If you bought them through an FFL the ATF should have all your info.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit man, that really sucks. I know what it's like to get robbed of belongings...but not prized possessions. That is just wrong.

Don't give up all hope, though. A lot of times the police detectives can track down thieves and where they keep the stuff they steal, and you've got a shot at getting at least some of your stuff back if they are successful in finding out who did it.

My advice is to keep in touch with the police on this. Get a detective's name who is working on the case (if there is one), and check in with him regularly to see if he has any new information.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
i HOPE YOU GET YOUR GUNS BACK, THEN THE NEXT TIME THEY TRY THAT YOU CAN SHOOT THEM WITH IT.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out the serial numbers of these firearms that have been aquired at different times over the past few years.

Dude, I hate it for your loss, there is only one person to blame for this and that's the cocksucker that stole your stuff.  One of the essentials parts to being a responsible gun owner (IMO) is to have your serial numbers documented.  You dropped that ball on that man.  Good luck with your future.  I had a GLOCK 20 stoke years ago, it was later recovered in a drug bust and returned to me after the trial was over with.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
that really sucks.  where in FL do u go to school?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to leave sometimesbecause I have been robbed also.I found out the hard way what insurance will/wont pay.get insurance ,renters if you get the stuff covered helps,sorry I'm tellin you now but next time it may be a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats too bad.  hopefully you can get something from the apartment for the alarm not working.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The number with the prefix "BFI" is your serial number.

Sorry to hear about this. It's a nightmare of mine because I'm still living at home while going to school and my dad's safe is full........and NONE of my rifles are in there (M14, AK, 3.5 AR's, SKS, 3 shotguns, 2 .22's, and a pistol......all somewhat hidden in my room.)

We really need another safe, and this might just be the thing that kicks me in the ass to get one.

Sorry again to hear about your loss. At least nobody was hurt in the break-in.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry man
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I know the feeling and don't think it will ever go away.  A young punk that I use to know and hunt with got into drugs so I stopped hanging with him.  A few years later he hit my home for drug money scoring 19 firearms from me.  I got none of them back even though I gave the cops his name and they had tied him to the burglery as well as others in the area within 24 hours.  And I had complete serial numbers for all of them.  While he did end up serving a little time for his deed, he didn't serve near enough as far as I am concerned.  I hope I never run across the SOB because I am still afraid of what I would do to him if I ever meet him face to face.  Needless to say I wouldn't piss up his ass if his guts were on fire.  I hope you have better luck than I did but if you think the cops are going to go to any trouble to get your guns back better think again.  Even though they had the kid within 24 hours they said they could not get my guns or go after any of them because this little bastard's word was not good enough for a search warrent.  I smelled a fish then and still do today, over 30 years later.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that sucks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
wow, that sucks!  You have my support and sympathy.  If anything, in the future, and for everyone here, take pics of your guns, record serial numbers, have home owners insurance or even renters insurance if you rent, s ign up for the NRA and you get free $1000 in insurance, and if you're in a more permanent place than an apt, get a safe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
sorry about your place.

that sucks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
First off, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hope they catch those worthless bastards.

Secondly. This is the reason to have Renters Insurance!

This is something that SOOOOOO many people don't even think about.

But its so CHEAP!

Belive me man, I'm not trying to lecture you here, as that won't solve anything.

But more a warning to others that are renting.

It's cheap, and it's worth it.

I've been through two house fires, so I know.

If you are renting..............

get it....Get it....GET IT!.........And GET IT NOW.............
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that is really too bad. Sorry to hear it, man. You should try to memorize/write down the serial numbers of your weapons. I've memorized both my Mega lower's serial number (same as my brothers # on his Ameetec ) and the one on my Romanian M44. I haven't memorized my Marlin 60's # but that is locked in a safe at all times. My AR is next to my bed though. Try to get something out of those serial numbers and then get a safe IMMEDIATELY. Then get your alarm fixed...in whichever order.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
If anything I hope that all this advice might help anyone else who has been putting a duty to themselves aside to secure their own possessions.

I will have more guns.  I've rounded up most of the SN's and hopefully somehow I can get ahold of something that was once mine or my buddy's.

Right now, all I've got is this....   amt hardballer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Taking another man's guns is just...WRONG!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#22]
that blows. sorry to hear that. I just picked up a pretty cheap stack on safe that fits perfectly into a small closet I have. its super light empty. might be a good idea whenever you get a chance to rebuild the collection. Also have to 2nd or 3rd or whatever about the renters insurance. I think mine is for like $50k or something silly like that, but when I sit down and think about how much my collection is worth, Im glad I have it. This reminds me that I need to re jot down my serial numbers and put them in a safe place.  When/if you get the SNs, swing by or fax them to all the local pawn shops.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
You may want to locate as many of your local area pawn shops also.  Some of the pawn owners aren't on the up and up and buy stolen guns.  Not only that, your serial numbers are not registered as stolen yet.  So if they do run the numbers they won't come up stolen.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably some one that knew your area as your new to the place or some one that knew you had guns.One reason why unless its close friends...only 3 of them and family I tell no one about what I have or where.Yes insurance is fine and well but a gun safe around the 1000 lb mark bolted to the floor on top of insurance is what I would do.Unless your floors wont support the weight go lighter.Sounds weird though you just move in and the place gets B&Ed..If it seems they knew the place well chances are they have been there before.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
That sucks sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#26]
That sucks... at least they left your computer behind

I'd keep an eye out on local pawn or gun shops. Who knows if they'll try to pawn or sell them off. I'd bet money that someone saw you carrying them in when you moved in, and that's why you got targeted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sorry for your loss.  However, they're just things, and you can replace them.  Thankfully, you still have your health.  

If you are responsible enough to own guns, you are responsible for securing them.   I never could figure out how someone can afford six guns, and no safe.  Even a cheap-ass cable lock or a sheet metal gun cabinet might have stopped these dirtbags.  Now there are six more guns out on the street.  

Your guns have just now become our problem.  

Secure your weapons when they are not under your direct control!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm sorry for your loss.  However, they're just things, and you can replace them.  Thankfully, you still have your health.  

If you are responsible enough to own guns, you are responsible for securing them.   I never could figure out how someone can afford six guns, and no safe.  Even a cheap-ass cable lock or a sheet metal gun cabinet might have stopped these dirtbags.  Now there are six more guns out on the street.  

Your guns have just now become our problem.  

Secure your weapons when they are not under your direct control!

Im out of the state right now and I left most of my toys at home. You could say unsecured. This thread has convinced me of getting a safe when i get back.

Ironically, I was so bored one night I started to develope a spreadsheet with all my firearms, caliber, brand, model, modifications, serial #s, and estimated value.

When I get home, I will finish it, take pictures of all my weapons individually, and store it somewhere safe. Hopefully, in the fucking safe I will buy, and at a sep. location.

Now with renters insurance, depending on which one you use, you might have to file an extra note on there that you are insuring firearms.

Anyone been through that process yet?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuck that pisses me off!!!  I had my RRA midy stolen from me last year.  The fuckers tore the nob off of my door.  It was a good thing most of my firearms were still at my folks house.  I have a safe now and that thing is bolted town tight
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
sorry....

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Dont feel alone I've been there, burglars SHOULD GET THE DEATH PENALTY! I hope you had good insurance, because the odds are stacked way against you seeing any of your stuff again, even if by some miracle you do get your stuff back, it will probably be damaged or tied up in court for so long...oh shit this pisses me off. I'll say it again BURGLARS SHOULD GET THE DEATH PENALTY!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Hooah,

Don't mean to be insulting, but one of your "Friends" has run his pie hole to the wrong assmaggot, or is himself to blame.

Inside Job.

Tighter circles of "friends" and tighter lips in the future, might be a good thing.

There ain't a corner in Hell cool enough for whoever did this.

I'll bet my Gandpa's K-Bar the shit bag has recently smiled with you, and shared a beer with you ,or is connected to someone you have done the same with.

"I know this guy who has like a million guns and is too cool!"

We all have too many anti gun, pacifist, and useless neighbors, to find Gun theft random.

PLEASE post numbers and work with the local L.E. and NRA.

If any of yours show up here locally, count on proper follow up.

It's weak thanks to the volume, but it's what we got.

Also.

Your room mates friends......

Do the math.

Good Rabbit dogs start their cricles small and work outward.

Hang in there!
S-28
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn man that sucks but I have some good news for you. You said you were a college kid so I assume that you are not financially independent from your parents. Assuming this your parents home owner insurance will cover up to 10% of of your parents assets not including their house and various other things. While it probibly wont put you back 100% it will at least let you and your roomie get another EBR.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#34]

What sucks more than anything is the amount of time and money that I have put into these.

Sincerely sorry for your loss.  But, "what sucks more than anything" is the fact that these tools are now in the hands of dirtbags.

I am often asked for my opinion regarding which firearm to buy.  I reply that while there are many excellent choices, and I give specific suggestions, that generally it's smart to plan to spend equal amounts on training and ammunition, and on security, usually meaning a gun safe.  

Bro, I have been burgled, and it would not be appropriate  for me to bust your chops.  I am sure  you have spent more than adequate time doing that yourself.

What is to be learned?  Address security from now forward.  Should you move? Fix doors and windows?  What?  You will do the right thing.  

I agree with S-28 as far as a place to start.  

Hit the pawnshops fast, hard and repeatedly.  The local LEOs can't do it as well as you.

Go Dog! Please let us know how it goes.

My sincere best regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear that. I had my SBR stolen a few months ago.

Renters insurance covered the loss minus a 500 deductable.

The police (other agency, not mine) did get a fingerprint hit, made contact but no arrests yet.

ETA: sounds like it someone who knew you. They knew their way around and was perpated to haul off their bounty. Moving that many uncased weapons is not easily done discreetly.

A random burglar would have not been that prepared.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Dammit, that sucks. I friggen hate thieves!

Look no further than one of your neighbors from the complex.
I guarantee the person or people who robbed you live very close by.

Someone who knew your alarm was not functioning.
The person saw you leave and made their move.

Either there was a getaway vehicle or the scumbag had a partner to help move the weapons.
Either into a car or to another apartment.

I have a feeling you'll get some of your weapons back. I'm hoping the BM M4gery.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for the loss, I'm afraid the same will happen to me.  I even took all of my firearms with me to TX when I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago.  Would have been kinda funny if i would have gotten pulled over.

As for renters insurance, I have it but it only covers 2500 dollars on firearms, and the limit can't be raised.  Does anyone know of a insurance agency that does cover more?

Maybe I'll start a Firearms insurance company...  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I have State Farm Home owners and they cover $6,000 for firearms, however they will not add on additional coverage.  I do not know if they write in NC.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#39]
need to get the serial numbers and enter them into the ncic computer system so when a police officer runs them they will flag as stolen   thatsw the only way to track them
hainsawkill.gif thieves   I lost a 15,000 race replice bike  stolen while i was at work
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Sorry to hear that man. with respect to your situation I posted my tip for the day:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375218

Sorry it's of no use to you this time around.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Doesnt sound like the police is of much help, they didnt look for finger prints.
                       Also, not having  rifle serial numbers.

Living in apartments, gotta be someone who has seen something,ask around.

Could be someone who live next door to you,also someone you know.

I had a employee who stole from me, A few months later,found items at pawn shop.

I'd went  to pawn shops  when it all first happen,  they claimed they didnt havem.

TG

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Pawn shops are a long shot at best, the thiefs would have to present valid ID to sell the rifles and they are not likely to do that with stolen goods. Any pawn shop that engages in the buying and selling of firearms would have to hold an FFL as well and would probably be doing everything by the book, if they don't, they would not have the rifles on display or admit to having them. The gun shows in your area would be the best place to start looking.

Check with all the neighbors, they might have seen something. The girls friends for instance may have been seen in the area, don't rely on the police to do this. Consider posting a reward for the rifles as there is little loyalty among thiefs, local liquor stores would be a great place to do this.

One other thing, if you were on the receiving end of a great deal on a tricked out AR. what would be your next stop? Thats right, the rifle range in your area. Visit your local range and talk to the owner, manager, range officer and leave a description along with your phone number and the name of the detective on your case in case you cannot be reached and make sure to mention the reward.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#43]
That is terrible!

Well, you can't change the past, but I recommend you do the following once you start getting new firearms (or get the old ones back):

1.  BUY A SAFE!!!  Even a $200 sheetmetal gun locker will slow someone down considerably.  I hedged on getting one until I realize the locker cost about 5% of the overall value of all the firearms that were going in it- a very worthwhile investment.

2.  MAKE A LIST WITH YOU FIREARMS SERIAL NUMBERS< PICS AND DESCRIPTIONS, AND PUT IT IN YOUR SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX.  This way, if they do get stolen you actually know what the heck got taken and have some stuff for the cops to distribute.  

In the meantime, try hitting the local pawnshops and see if anythign turns up.  if they were looking for drugs they very likely will try to dump the guns cheap for drug money.

Good luck, and hope you find your guns.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Ouch.. that hurts!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Man, I'm sorry for you losses...

I seriously hope the POS who did this is found and all your guns recovered.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Nothing worse than a common thief! Damn, just damn.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#47]
where are you located in FL? I'd better watch out for those things show up on the street.  Always have a safe if you have more than 1 gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My Bushmaster preban 14.5" m4gery w/ the EOTech and all of its goodies,

SBR or 14.5" with pinned flash hider?

If it's an SBR, I'm sure the ATF will take a great interest in finding the crooks.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

2.  MAKE A LIST WITH YOU FIREARMS SERIAL NUMBERS< PICS AND DESCRIPTIONS, AND PUT IT IN YOUR SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX.  This way, if they do get stolen you actually know what the heck got taken and have some stuff for the cops to distribute.  

I put mine in an Email and email it to myself periodically.  That way, it is time stamped by the system so I can say that I wrote down the serial numbers prior to their loss/theft.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#50]
you have my condolences.....

I know it wouldnt have covered it all, but if your an NRA member they will replace up to $1000 of stolen/damaged/lost firearms. I joined for $10/year, its worth it for the grand of coverage
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top