Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2005 10:27:31 PM EDT
I'll be getting my first AR in 3 weeks. It will be a Bushmaster 20" A2. What do I do when I first get it? Do I clean it to break it in? Or do I go to the range and shoot the hell out of it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it's a Bushmaster, it'll be chrome lined. Definately the latter. Have fun and post some pics for us.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing you do.........take that nice new rifle......and drop it onto your cement driveway.

After you wake-up from passing out, you'll realize that the rifle was meant for shooting and not for looking pretty. You should then take it to the range and put about 400rds through it.

You might want to run a cleaning rod down the bore to make sure it is clear before shooting.

Congrats on the rifle, BTW.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean it, lube it, then go shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And then when your done, shoot it some more
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And then when your done, shoot it some more

and then shoot it a lot more!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
And try BUMP FIRING

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
ok you get it outa da box. you clean it and lube it. i hope you bought some extra 30 round mags. you load them and go to the range. put ya a target at the 25 yard line. zero it in. then move the target back as you go. 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard. by good ammo. i would stay away from any thing with an animal in it. ie wolf - silver bear. then when you get home clean and lube it. for gods sake man use the damn chamber brush.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Clean it, lube it, shoot it.  Repeat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First thing you do.........take that nice new rifle......and drop it onto your cement driveway.

After you wake-up from passing out, you'll realize that the rifle was meant for shooting and not for looking pretty. You should then take it to the range and put about 400rds through it.

You might want to run a cleaning rod down the bore to make sure it is clear before shooting.

Congrats on the rifle, BTW.

WIZZO

Actually, not bad advice. Once that first scratch is in, you will enjoy it a lot more and worry about the looks a lot less.  It's not for show......
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Your going to need a Mag LULA too
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I would definetly clean and lube it before you shoot it
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're not familiar with AR type rifles......

- READ THE MANUAL!!!!!

- Familiarize yourself with all the major working parts

- Do a basic field strip - clean excess cosmoline and lube as instructed

- Use GOOD ammo - American Eagle, Winchester 55 gr, etc

- There are a lot of different opinions on breaking in a new rifle -
.....Some say don't clean the barrell - others insist on breaking in the barrell with swabbing out with
.....solvent after EVERY round for first 10 rds, then every 2 rds, etc
.....others claim cleaning a chromed barrell excessively can do more harm then good....
.....Its your rifle, you make the call!HEN,
enjoy,
Docgary
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to check the info that comes with the rifle.Some manufactures have very particular steps for barrel break in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Find and participate in a local Highpower event. All you really need is 50-60 rounds of ammo, your rifle, an NRA empty chamber flag, an old carpet and a few bucks to cover the targets you'll use. No one will care what your score is or the equipment you bring. Just have fun and make noise.

Trust me.

www.nationalmatch.us will have some good links.

edited note: You may visit one once just to observe their safety protocols. Contact a local rep and find out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
[VoiceOfExperience] The very first thing you need to do is start saving for the next one that the first one is going to make you want... [/VoiceOfExperience]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top