Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/20/2005 6:02:54 PM EDT
Has anybody purchased these hand guards and are they better the ones that are being sold by Yankee Hill Machine, I’m torn between the two and need some advice on this issue. Personally I’m leaning towards the MI hand guards but I like other opinions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
YHM has been used by a lot of people with a lot of solid reviews.  Go with the other and it is more of an unknown.  Then again, you could be the first cool kid on your block.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a set from Bravo Co. Will let you know what I think when they get here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply's
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just installed a set of the MI handguards tonight!  Ordered them on a Wednesday from Bravo, and received them the following Friday.

They are very tight.  Even with a handguard tool, they were very difficult to install on the M4 barrel and flat-top upper that also came from Bravo.  With the delta ring compressed as far as it would go (it was touching the upper receiver!), there still wasn't enough room to install the handguards.  I had to file down the delta ring and use a C-clamp to get them installed.  It took me about an hour and a bent handguard tool to get it done, but they are very solid and will probably never come-off.  Don't even attempt to install it without having a handguard tool.  If you're willing to deal with some hassle installing them, then I strongly recommend them.  They are rock solid even when swinging the rifle around by the forward pistol grip.  I'm not going to put optics on the handguard top rail, but they appear solid enough to maintain a good zero.

I haven't used the YHM or any other brand so I don't know how they compare.z
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I just installed some on my Colt LE 6920.  They went on with just a little fiddling thank goodness (I have one of those tools to help remove handguards).  I didn't need to modify anything on my gun to make them fit.   I am VERY pleased, they have a nice tight fit and they look great!!!!  I haven't taken any pictures yet but I will.  These were Model #17C (for Colt) so I can't vouch for the fit of model #17 made for other manufacturers.

I also put a set on my Colt 6450.  Those were a tad loose but just barely.  I haven't decided if I am going to keep them on the 6450 or not .  Probably will since I like how they look and the very slight movement may not be an issue at all.  The 6450 doesn't have that little tube (sorry but I'm new to ARs and don't know what that part is called) under the handguards like the LE6920 does so they aren't as tight fitting I think because there isn't the tube that locks in place in an indentation on the handguards (sorry, hard to explain).    They fit OK but not like the fit on the LE6920.  

I'm very pleased with them however I'm curious if anyone else put them on a 6450 and had any movement in them.  I have a second 6450 that perhaps I should try them on and see if there is any difference....and also another 6920 that I could try them on.  Maybe it's the handguards and not the gun???  I'll look into that tomorrow night.

The Yankee Hill handguards don't fit Colt, correct?  At least that's what the ad for them said.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope that's not the norm for MI Hand guards and sounds like a no so perfect fit. I have read that there are two types of hand guards you can order the colt version and the non-colt version, you should check and make sure they sent you the right hand guard set.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]

I have read that there are two types of hand guards

I talked to them, and they said their barrels had the "normal" handguard caps, so I had the correct ones.  Maybe the FSB on the barrel was a little out place rather than the guards being too long.  I don't know, but I do know that while it was a lot of trouble, it was worth it.  I didn't think AR handguards could ever be this tight.  Just plan ahead and order the handguard tool.z
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to try a set of these though I have the YHM on my 6920. That one was a PITA even with the handguard tool. I had to take some metal off on the front where it mated up with the HG cap but it's so damned solid, I like it. I'm hoping the MI won't be as hard to install since super tight is not a requirement as I don't intend on putting optics on the rail. Anyone know the weight difference if any between the YHM and the MI?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 2:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered mine on Friday from Bravo Company USA and I got them today.  (Ordered to received in one business day!)  Mine installed easily and fit nice and tight.  I am very pleased with the quality of them.  I would recommend them.  A friend of mine bought the YHM and I have not had a chance to compare them side by side, but I think the Midwest Industries ones are nicer.  The top rail of the MI's are at the same level as the rail on the upper receiver.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had a set for a while now and they are fantastic.  Rock solid, top rail in line with the upper, and pretty good looking to boot.

My digital camera is broken and I had planned a whole thread about how great they are... look for it in the future.

Buy with confidence from Bravo.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Just received mine, and installed them on my LMT upper. They are a little "fun" to get on, but only because I don't have a handguard tool (It's on the list...). They mount up VERY solid. The finish and machining looks to be top notch as I couldn't detect any flaws. Now I just need to get to the range so I can get them dirty!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Recieved mine- installed on LMT upper, very very nice, very tight, and quality as good as those costing hundreds more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I installed a set on my RRA this week & I'm very pleased.  Quality & design is top notch.  Installation was no harder than the regular handguards.  Very, very nice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagged for pics .
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the YHM and I like it very much.  However looking at the MI, had they been around when I purchased I probably would have gone with the MI

Why?

Primary reason is the rails.   MI uses SOLID rails (especially on the bottom).  The YHM rails have that 'lightening' slot that runs down the middle of the rail.  While the slot doesn't effect mounting of lights - it DOES effect mounting of the KAC type handguards.

Also the offset rail is a nice feature for those with VFGs & lights.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I got a set and i installed them on my Olympic Arms- CMT  M4grey  they went on kind of hard ( no handguard tool used) but once on they move side to side  just a little. The bottom section moves the most and the top moves just so ever so much that i dont think i can mount optics on it. but other than that they look great and the match my CMT  T-marked upper. they are the same height as the flat top so one could move his Eotech  up to brige the gap between the upper and forearm.
All in all they are great for the money

kind of dark but you get the idea.  Has Magpul  xt rail covers on it

, http://img241.echo.cx/img241/2774/flattop0034ra.jpg
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]
is MI going to make a rifle length handguards? it would be nice
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes all lengths are coming with free-float brothers...

also 2 piece rifle length?
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:55:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone put a set of these on a Bushmaster yet?
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I got mine from BC USA on Friday. Installed no problem on my BM M4gery and they fit tighter than the YHM unit which quickly became fodder for the EE.

By far the best HG i've tried. My older model YHM rails were not spec, hence the dremeling on my TDVG. I also like the circular cuts on the MI HG much more than the long cuts [openings] on the YHM HG.

The MI HG will definately fit the bill when my rifle length build gets started here soon. I hope they plan on a rifle length!

HS1
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for pics
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes all lengths are coming with free-float brothers...

also 2 piece rifle length?

Absolutely... No ETA yet though

thank you
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I recieved mine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok it's not the height that's off it's the spacing.
Creeper

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]
See in the picture above how they have a detachable rear carry handle. Now take that detachable rear carry handle and move it so one end half is on the handguard and the other end half is on the reciever. Now try and lock it down- Guarantee you can't lock it down because the spacing is off somehow, by only half a rail.

The only reason they DGS Tactical or guns whoever could lock down an Eotech in the picture from their website is because the cross bar for the Eotech is in the area where the delta ring is located so spacing doesn't matter. Technically in the DGS tactical picture of the Eotech mounted only one crossbar/crossbolt is locked into the rails the other is floating above the delta ring. This means if you try to lock down any device between the two systems you can't have any with a cross bolt on one side and on the other.  

Creeper
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I see Marc allready linked to my thread, but I thought I'd chime in.

Installation was NO hassle on my LMT upper. And no I didn't use a handguard tool. Eat your Wheaties boys! Or have a buddy help you I reckon.

I'm very happy with mine as I stated in the other thread. Rock solid, and most of all, TD fit is excellent, with NO slop. That was the main thing I was looking for when they first arrived. I suspect that Paul told MI that TD fit was something that people would specifically be concerned with, as its has been an issue with other systems. If so, they did a great job IMO.

For the price, I don't they can be beat really.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Has anybody purchased these hand guards and are they better the ones that are being sold by Yankee Hill Machine, I’m torn between the two and need some advice on this issue. Personally I’m leaning towards the MI hand guards but I like other opinions. hr

Mine are on a Bushmaster upper and barrel.  It works great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got mine from Rusytx (thanks btw ) and it goes on very easy. Don't let that fool you into thinking it's loose. It's not. I can move my Eotech from the flat top to the rail and maintain zero despite my  best efforts into twisting the rail out of position. Best thing is that the Larue lever has the same tightness on the flat top as it does on the rail suggesting they're toleranced better than the Yankee Hill that I have which is too tight. BTW, mine is the one for the Colt. Highly recommended over the YHM rail.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered a set of MI  handguards as well as a tangodown vertical foregrip, handguard tool, and magpul rail covers.  They arrived last night.   Unfortunately, the handguard tool snapped in half.  Needless to say, my index fingers and thumbs are still sore.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm torn between this hanguard and the Surefire m73's. My main conern is that it is rock solid, yet comes off if I decide to change it out later. How hot do these get? It looks like without a heat shield they would get pretty toasty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm torn between this hanguard and the Surefire m73's. My main conern is that it is rock solid, yet comes off if I decide to change it out later. How hot do these get? It looks like without a heat shield they would get pretty toasty.

Played with M73 and like this one better.  The M73 is also not level with the flat top so keep that in mind also. This is very solid, enough so that I wouldn't be afraid of mounting optics on it if I had to. As far as heat, get a tango down VG.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Nice pic Ramen... You broke the HG tool? If it was ours, be sure and send an email so we can replace it...

Thanks, Rusty, but this order came from Bravocompany.  Though look out for my order for 10 or so mags from your site when I get the chance.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#46]
BTW, Bravocompany made it right.  They're great to deal with.

+1 from me to Paul.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I put a set on my Bushmaster M4A3 last week and they went on a little tight but with no problem using two people.  I did notice that my TD vertical grip slid on it much easier than the previous YHM.  No pounding needed!!!!  The fit and finish seem superior to the YHM also.  No movement at all.  I can post pics if anyone wants to see them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put a set on my Bushmaster M4A3 last week and they went on a little tight but with no problem using two people.  I did notice that my TD vertical grip slid on it much easier than the previous YHM.  No pounding needed!!!!  The fit and finish seem superior to the YHM also.  No movement at all.  I can post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks for the feedback. I have another carbine build going, and my always changing rifle is waiting for a rifle length set.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I got mine yesterday from Bravo Co.  I put it on a 14.5" upper (Model 1 Sales).  Fit is perfect, no play at all.  Mine was easy to install with handguard tool.   Took 5 minutes or so.  Overall, I am very pleased.  They are nice looking also and my KAC grip fits great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I got mine yesterday from Bravo Co.  I put it on a 14.5" upper (Model 1 Sales).  Fit is perfect, no play at all.  Mine was easy to install with handguard tool.   Took 5 minutes or so.  Overall, I am very pleased.  They are nice looking also and my KAC grip fits great.

+1.  Got and installed mine today. No hand tool needed...just some strong fingers!

As stated above, very tight, wiggle-free install.  For the $ and compared to rails costing twice as much or more, a good deal.

Cheers!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top