Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2005 12:12:22 AM EDT
What is the best way to permanently attach a flash suppressor? Do I have to weld it on? I don't realy want to do that it may look like crap. Some help I need.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
high temp solder (braze?) or "pin" it on
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Blind pin and weld.

ETA:
Then refinish.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Just use High temp silver solder  paste on it per ATF specs like everybody else in the NON AR world does it.

Anybody can do it.  Get some paste, get a MAPP gas set up at wally world, and go to town.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just use High temp silver solder  paste on it per ATF specs like everybody else in the NON AR world does it.

Anybody can do it.  Get some paste, get a MAPP gas set up at wally world, and go to town.

What he said, that is how I do all mine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank guys will do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean the hell out of the threads with a wire brush (No park) to bare metal.  Degrease the hell out of the barrel threads and flash hider.  Use the silver solder paste sparingly on the threads, install and time your FH.  Wipe off any excess paste.  Hang the upper with the muzzle down so solder doesn't run out onto the barrel.  Heat until cherry red.  You are done.  If something does run out on the barrel you can try and wipe it off with something non-flammable while it is still cherry red, or if you plan to refinish you can get it off while hot with a fine wire brush.

If you want to change it later, you heat until cherry and then remove it quickly.

Link Posted: 6/4/2005 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
During the ban I would pin and weld, I am not that crazy about hitting the muzzle of my bbl with 1500* flames, until it turns red/orange. To me it just seems wrong on so many levels. I was also hedging my bets for when the ban finally went away, in Sept. it was real easy to find the weld, drill it and the pin out, unscrew F'ed up brake then add normal supressor to undamaged muzzle.
Good Luck,
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Clean the hell out of the threads with a wire brush (No park) to bare metal.  Degrease the hell out of the barrel threads and flash hider.  Use the silver solder paste sparingly on the threads, install and time your FH.  Wipe off any excess paste.  Hang the upper with the muzzle down so solder doesn't run out onto the barrel.  Heat until cherry red.  You are done.  If something does run out on the barrel you can try and wipe it off with something non-flammable while it is still cherry red, or if you plan to refinish you can get it off while hot with a fine wire brush.

If you want to change it later, you heat until cherry and then remove it quickly.

I'm sure it works but... dude that can't be good for the barrel.
People alreddy yell at be for rapid fireing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
We do either.  Whatever the customer wants.  But as someone who has fired a barrel to cherry red, it is not a problem.  As a matter of fact just about every HK, FAL out there has the FH attached like this and it has never proved problematic.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
During the ban I would pin and weld, I am not that crazy about hitting the muzzle of my bbl with 1500* flames, until it turns red/orange. To me it just seems wrong on so many levels. I was also hedging my bets for when the ban finally went away, in Sept. it was real easy to find the weld, drill it and the pin out, unscrew F'ed up brake then add normal supressor to undamaged muzzle.
Good Luck,
KILO OUT

I am going to opt for this method for mine.  What size/kind pin should I use or is it better to use a set screw?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top