Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/25/2005 9:05:31 PM EDT
Hello,  I am a new member here.  However, I have read enough to know that the bashers love to fight on threads like this.  I would like to have honest opinions on which manufacture you guys think are the best.  I would like to repeat,  especially to the colt cult and colt bashers,  NO BASHING ON THIS THREAD!!!

thank you for your honest opinions,
Couch-Commandohug.gif

ETA:I want an honest opinion about the QUALITY of a given company,  do not allow politics or price influence your vote.

ETA: I am talking about basic rifles direct from the factory without any modifications.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Without regard to price/value, Colt is the best manufacturer of AR rifles (specifically their LE line). The major factor that sets them above the others is QC methods.

As far as I know, no other manufacturer listed shot peens their bolts and MP inspects all bolts and barrels. While this process does not gaurentee a perfect riflle, it is a safety measure above and beyond what other companies are doing.

The other difference on the Colt rifles is that the furniture seems to be made of a different type of plastic that may be more durable.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]

BUSHMASTER.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Please explain your reasoning if you are going to post in this thread. Opinions are worthless without supporting evidence
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BUSHMASTER.

+1 on the

But -1 on Bushmaster.

RRA for me

WIZZO

ETA: I predict this thread will be locked before it gets to 3 pages.....if that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
please,  i want you to explain your reasoning.  

head.gif This doesn't explain your reasoning
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]

ETA: I predict this thread will be locked before it gets to 3 pages.....if that.

Please don't turn this into another bashing thread.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only frquented the site for the past couple months (since Nov. '04) but this comes up all the time.

Now, to answer your question directly, I like RRA because it is the highest quality rifle I've handled. My brother's Bushmaster 20" A2 that is a couple years old is a great rifle, but the fit & finish isn't on par with my RRA. I have also handled quite a few NEW Colts at some local gunshows and, while they were just as nice as my brother's Bushy, they couldn't quite overcome my RRA.

But, as always, this is just my $.02.

WIZZO

ETA: I don't want another one of these threads to resort to bashing......Can't we all just get along?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess the best is the one YOU buy and if it works you think hey it's the best.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
sabredefence.com

they make M2 and M60 barrels for the Military and AR rifles too... they are relatively new to the US... ah heck.. I'll think of a better reason after i do some research
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
It really depends on what your intentions are but I assume that you are talking bone stock rifles in this case.  I know that Colt has a supurb QC compared to most other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You neglected to add KAC and LMT to the poll.

Oh, and my reason for those two, because I like them. Pick what you like and go shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
As much as I hate to admit it, it has to be Colt.

They have the highest QC standards in the industry and dont spare any expense.  Govt contracts keep Colt in business and they would be damned to let any POS  get out of the factory.

And they have union labor!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are hoping to get a definitive answer to this question you're going to be waiting a long time. It's a very objective question. A person that owns a Colt will say Colt. A Bushmaster owner Bushmaster... for the most part.

Odds are most people that will respond have never shot all five of your choices to make an accurate assessment of "what's best".

I don't know about CMMG... but the quality of the other four brands you listed are pretty much top tier AR manufacturers. There's also DPMS, Cav Arms, Fulton Armory, Les Baer, Z-M Weapons, Wilson Combat, Vulcan, Olympic, Knights...

Don't necessarily base your decision on prices... just because it costs more doesn't mean it's any better. Definitely read the warranty information for all of them. Some are lifetime, some are limited (1 year?), etc.

It also depends one what you plan on using it for. Infrequent plinking (once a month or less with less than 500 rounds per trip) I would venture to say anything you buy will last longer than you'd ever expect.

I own a Bushmaster and a Fulton. I love my Bushmaster and the Fulton is ok, but I got it in trade and it's a little worn. If I buy another AR I plan on making it a RRA. Partly because they seem to have a good rep, a very reasonable price, a good line of models, and partly because I'm not convinced that either of the brands I own are "the best".

Probably not the answer you're looking for but it's closer to reality.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The best value would have to be CMT.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
RRA / Stag lower combo... ;)  Bargain and best.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
For fit, finish, and $$$ I see nothing wrong with RRA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ETA:I want an honest opinion about the QUALITY of a given company

Why do you want this information? What is your intention in starting this thread?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I fully support the idea of hanging the next guy who posts this question.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

FNGs always step right into this s--t.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#20]
bushy, rra
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to yet another "My rifle's better than your rifle" thread.

There are at least four high quality manufacturers of ARs (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River) - maybe more.

I have heard, many times, about Colts' superior quality controls. What we don't know, with any degree of certainty, is whether or not their QC translates into superior firearms. You could also get excellent outcomes with excellent process controls. QC simply checks to see that your processes worked to specs. In other words, to catch mistakes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I voted Colt. After many years as a youngster not knowing how to clean my SP-1's, they always ran.  After screwing a 'float tube' on a RRA reciever and the barrel not centered up front, RRA and Armalite halves not mating or even pivoting fully on the front pin, Parts kits from supposed sources which contained M-16 parts I did not request, pivot pins which were not milled 90 to the slot, Trigger/hammer pairs which produced a  horrible fit and a bunch more.  Colt and Bushmaster parts have never been returned by me. A 'new' Colt take out bolt carrier with rot in the chromed gas ring bore was sent back and not replaced and I deserved that as I bought used junk from a major dealer not selling new product.  I must say I do love my 6400c and that is an example of quality current Colt product.
My .03
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#24]
dont forget DPMS and olympic arms
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]
It wasn't me that started this
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#26]
If your talking about mfg. I would have to say STAG/CMT
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank God you didn't insult us by including OLYMPIC ARMS!

BTW, the poll question should read WHAT AR DO YOU HAVE since that is the basis for almost everyone's vote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#28]
In terms of Quality Control, proofing and overall metallurgical vetting, the only manufacturer that might come close to, equal or surpass Colt would be FN Herstal with the M16A2/A4 and H&K with the HK416 (formerly known as the HKM4). Neither of these are sold to Civilians.

The fact that Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. rollmarks every barrel as proofed when the  company admits to only random spot-check proofing automatically rules them out as the best, no matter how good their product is otherwise, IMO.

So of those in the poll that would make Colt the best in terms of these measures.

Not Saying Colt is the best value for the Dollar. Only you can be the judge of that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Colt.

but you can put together an AR that is just as good and in some ways better by mixing and matching parts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Colt for MP of barrel and BCG. I own an RRA with a Colt M16 BCG.

Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it this time of the week again????

You get nothing but opinions here on this issue, most of which cannot be backed with much experience on what they like and don't like.

Quoted:

I second this motion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I have owned or had a friend who owned all of the listed brands, and Colt is without a doubt the best quality. Followed by LMT.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Colt. Anything else is just a copy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:BTW, the poll question should read WHAT AR DO YOU HAVE since that is the basis for almost everyone's vote.

This is exactly what happens and what I was trying to avoid.hereh-Commando
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#35]
How do i add more options to a poll? I am a he
Thanks,

Couch-Commandohug.gif
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I like Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, and LMT.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How do i add more options to a poll? I am a  I wanted to add LMT, DPMS, and Olympic, so I could poll on all of the name brands.

Thanks,

Couch-Commando

Sadly, Polls cannot be edited, not even for typos.

BTW, there are far more brands than you have listed, even in the US only. I can come up with about twenty companies that still produce AR15 variants today. There are more every day, seems like.

here are a few current semi-auto AR makers that make a 5.56mm version:

American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite/Eagle ARms
Barrett
Bushmaster
Cavalry Arms
CMMG Inc. (now makes complete rifles)
CMS FAB 10 (now makes complete rifles)
Colt
DPMS
DS Arms (now makes a complete rifle)
Fulton Armory (now makes complete rifles)
Knight's Manufacturing
Leitner-Wise
Les Baer
Lewis Machine & Tool
LRB
Olympic Arms
P.O.F (now makes a complete rifle)
Sabre Defense
SNS Industries
Stag Arms
Wilson Combat
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#38]
My two rifles are by Bushmaster and RRA. All I can speak to is that I've noticed the fit between the upper and lower receivers is tighter on the RRA. Don't know if this really means much in terms of quality, but it does make the RRA feel like a better built gun. FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do i add more options to a poll? I am a he
Thanks,

Couch-Commandohug.gif

Sadly, Polls cannot be edited, not even for typos. here
here are a few current semi-auto AR makers that make a 5.56mm version:

American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite/Eagle ARms
Barrett
Bushmaster
Cavalry Arms
CMMG Inc. (now makes complete rifles)
CMS FAB 10 (now makes complete rifles)
Colt
DPMS
DS Arms (now makes a complete rifle)
Fulton Armory (now makes complete rifles)
Knight's Manufacturing
Leitner-Wise
Les Baer
Lewis Machine & Tool
LRB
Olympic Arms
P.O.F (now makes a complete rifle)
Sabre Defense
SNS Industries
Stag Arms
Wilson Combat

When i clicked on the poll thing, it had only five slots.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#40]

<<<<<<<<<<<-----------------Colt

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Why does Armalite have such a low rating?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#42]
SABRE DEFENCE is a great value and I would describe it as the underappreciated star of the AR-15 world..."No Repsect I Tell 'Ya!"
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Colt makes a great weapon but I am partial to Bushmaster. I think a Bushy can do anything a Colt can do for hundreds of dollars less. I've had a couple of Bushies and they have performed flawlessly.
+ 1 for Bushy
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Why does Armalite have such a low rating?

If I were to venture a guess (since all the votes are based on opinions of the owners), I would assume they don't garner the same votes because they don't have the same number of dealers selling their rifles.

Bushy, on the other hand, has stocking dealers everywhere. Just look at the top of this forum at the tacked threads. Theyre is one that was done by Troy stating how many rifles were put out in the last couple years. Bushy is kicking some serious ass in sheer numbers, and they have pretty decent quality to go along with it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Although I like custom builds, if I were to buy an out of the box it would be RRA. For a little bit I thought Colt was the best, then I started to think Bushy. Once you have full BRD, you realize only you know as an individual person what you want in a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/266964.JPG

h.gif

Thats just sick...hat

Couch-Commandohug.gif
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I dunno, I know that colt's quailty has been slighty declining.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#50]
HESS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top