AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tried a colt 9mm buffer in a m16 with a 11.5 barrel. started having problems with empties jamming in the upper receiver, changed to a 14.5 upper same problem, installed H buffer back in fixed problem. 9mm buffer for sale.

What kind of ammo?

Winchester Q3131A and Federal XM193 same problem with both brands.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot my 16" M4 with a 9mm buffer for the first time today.  The recoil seemed harder... almost like an AR10.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It also seems to get rid of the annoying buffer spring noise.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Stainless,

Thanks for the very accurate information.
The x-buffer works nice to reduce the rate of fire
on full auto M-16's.
Best regards,

Frank
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I had forgotten I'd put the 9mm into my carbine.  Went through a few hundred rounds messing around and I remembered the change on the way home.  Recoil seemed more solid and I'm not sure I'd call it an improvement.  I'm guessing the 9mm buffer might have been part of why the AK and CETME I fired didn't seem to kick, everything seemed similar that day...

I'll do a side by side trial with my new 14.5" build next week and revisit the issue.  I will get another H buffer for the second carbine though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Stainless,

Thanks for the very accurate information.
The x-buffer works nice to reduce the rate of fire
on full auto M-16's.
Best regards,

Frank

I really would have liked to buy an X buffer, but the $100 price tag was just a little much for me.  I AM very happy it is working well for you.

S
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is there a down-side to heavier buffers?

Sam

yes.

heavier rifle
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally got to try the 9mm buffer on my 16" middy w/carbine stock.

I works like a dream. Yeah it's a bigger slower push but it gave me no problems in rapid fire staying on target. The lack of snap was weird at first. I'm sold with no reason to switch back.

I ran it with wolf, and federal 55 gr. As well as Radway 62gr with no cycling problems at all.

Thanks Stainless.

JR
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I finally got to try the 9mm buffer on my 16" middy w/carbine stock.

I works like a dream. Yeah it's a bigger slower push but it gave me no problems in rapid fire staying on target. The lack of snap was weird at first. I'm sold with no reason to switch back.

I ran it with wolf, and federal 55 gr. As well as Radway 62gr with no cycling problems at all.

Thanks Stainless.

JR

AWESOME.

mine has now logged over 3k rounds of wolf, and is running just fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
FWIW, I had forgotten I'd put the 9mm into my carbine.  Went through a few hundred rounds messing around and I remembered the change on the way home.  Recoil seemed more solid and I'm not sure I'd call it an improvement.  I'm guessing the 9mm buffer might have been part of why the AK and CETME I fired didn't seem to kick, everything seemed similar that day...

I'll do a side by side trial with my new 14.5" build next week and revisit the issue.  I will get another H buffer for the second carbine though.

Yep, my position was reinforced today.  I was having faster splits and better tracking with a standard CAR buffer, not even an H.  It isn't marked anyway, and is what came with my VLTOR, so I could be wrong about it not being an H.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yep, my position was reinforced today.  I was having faster splits and better tracking with a standard CAR buffer, not even an H.  It isn't marked anyway, and is what came with my VLTOR, so I could be wrong about it not being an H.  

Well, if you have a small scale, drop the buffer on and see what it weighs. Even with a cheap food scale, you should be able to see if it's closer to 3 or 4 ounces. The difference in weight between a standard carbine buffer and 9mm buffer significant. I'm still happy with the standard buffer but at least I have a 9mm AR I can pull a buffer out of if I want to try it again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you have a small scale, drop the buffer on and see what it weighs. Even with a cheap food scale, you should be able to see if it's closer to 3 or 4 ounces. The difference in weight between a standard carbine buffer and 9mm buffer significant. I'm still happy with the standard buffer but at least I have a 9mm AR I can pull a buffer out of if I want to try it again.

It's not that important to me, I know it isn't H marked.  I agree, I have a backup buffer that I can play with when I get bored with 'old reliable', or want to preserve my brass so it isn't stretched when I take a knee and dent the snot out of it
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know what the LMT H-buffers weigh?  Are they a regular H or a 2H?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im confuzzled, so are you saying that the standard VLTOR buffer did better? Or does better than the standard CAR buffer to begin with? Wasnt aware VLTORs buffer was any different than a standard CAR one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I shot my 16" M4 with a 9mm buffer for the first time today.  The recoil seemed harder... almost like an AR10.  

A carbine with a rifle length stock and rifle buffer 5.15 ounces  
is almost equal to a carbine with a collapsible stock with a 9MM buffer 5.47 ounces
so why is nobody complaining about the kick of a carbine with the full rifle stock. Or does
the extra .32 ounces make that big of a difference.

no flame intended just curoius
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I swear by the 9mm buffers now. My 2 carbines are operating smoother and are ejecting more towards the rear (unlike throwing the empties in front of me at about the 1-1:30 position).

This also means that the action of my carbine isn't beating itself into an early demise. I'm very happy with them, but can't bring myself to get anything more expensive than the RRA 9mm buffers.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Anybody know what comes in the long ACE skeely stock?  I guess I could find a digital scale and wiegh it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered a 9mm buffer from ADCO becasue of this thred, hope it's worth it, if not I'll use it on my SBR build when ever that is thanks for the tip hope it works.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just ordered a 9mm buffer from ADCO becasue of this thred, hope it's worth it, if not I'll use it on my SBR build when ever that is thanks for the tip hope it works.

It's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
tag for later reading
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anybody know what comes in the long ACE skeely stock?  I guess I could find a digital scale and wiegh it.

The long Ace Skeleton stock uses a rifle length buffer, so it would be 5.x ounces, and this topic would be non-applicable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#27]
A nugget of info that probably doesn't mean a whole lot to most, but may be pertinent to some:

I have a chopped 20" Dissy upper that is showing intermittent FTF issues using Wolf ammo, an M16 carrier and a 9mm buffer.  This is the weakest ammo, with the heaviest moving mass, so issues like this are likely in a custom build.  I could tweak the gas port more, but I'll likely just not shoot Wolf ammo in this or swap to an H buffer and see if the lighter moving mass can correct the issue.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I'am going to try one of these , thanks for the information

Copdills
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A nugget of info that probably doesn't mean a whole lot to most, but may be pertinent to some:

I have a chopped 20" Dissy upper that is showing intermittent FTF issues using Wolf ammo, an M16 carrier and a 9mm buffer.  This is the weakest ammo, with the heaviest moving mass, so issues like this are likely in a custom build.  I could tweak the gas port more, but I'll likely just not shoot Wolf ammo in this or swap to an H buffer and see if the lighter moving mass can correct the issue.

FWIW.

Doesn't really surprise me. I have had last round bolt lockback failure a few times with all of my ARs when using Wolf, even with standard weight buffers. Never have failures of any kind with other ammo, not even cheap stuff like Norinco yellow box or Silver Bear, and certainly not with XM193 or the like. Also have a buddy who has an BM M17S which has a strong return spring and has issues shooting Wolf because it doesn't cycle the bolt all the way 100% of the time, he never has issues with XM193 or WWB.

I can't see modifying a rifle to work with underpowered ammo like Wolf, when it works well with full strength ammo like XM193, BH, WWB, Q3131A, Rem green Box, PMC, etc, etc.

I still shoot Wolf polymer coated .223 for plinking from time to time, but I just accept that there will be few issues due to the underpowered nature of it, and leave it at that. No way I'm modifying anything to accomodate Wolf though, when there is nothing wrong with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I can't see modifying a rifle to work with underpowered ammo like Wolf, when it works well with full strength ammo like XM193, BH, WWB, Q3131A, Rem green Box, PMC, etc, etc.

Pretty much my feelings also.  The first two range trips with the 9mm buffer, the Dissy upper worked great.  On the third, it started to hiccup on Wolf.  It runs great on S&B, Win White box, 77gr handloads and my M855 handloads.  It is pretty much narrowed down to the Wolf ammo being the weak link.  Surprise, surprise.

Generally speaking, since this is a 9mm buffer thread, don't be surprised if, when adding a 9mm buffer, that you see some problems when running Wolf ammo.  The ammo is underpowered to begin with, and adding weight to the moving mass can and will cause problems, even in standard configurations.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Mongo, I assume your dissy has a carbine stock? I'm dumb, how else would you have a 9mm buffer

I have a 20" A2 upper with a 6 position stock on it with a standard CAR buffer and standard AR carrier (full circle at the rear and cut under the firing pin). With Wolf 62gr (does the same with 55gr), it will eject to my rear at about the 4-4:30 position. The same place a standard 20" with a rifle stock ejects. It sounds like you really have a heavier operating system with the M16 carrier and 9mm buffer.

I'd be willing to bet an H buffer or even a CAR buffer would make it run fine on Wolf. My opinion, anyways.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
man, have a 9mmbuffer that came with my colt6450

cant decide on what to use it in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#33]
tag, (i hope)
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I like using Wolf (more trigger time ) and I think the 14.5" M4gery currently has a 3oz carbine buffer (I think, it's not stamped & is the standard one that came with the RRA 6-POS stock).  

Would a 4.7oz H2 be a good "middle road" before stepping up to the H3/9mm ~5.55oz buffers?  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the information I'am going to try this myself , sounds like a very good combo
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:42:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Mongo, I assume your dissy has a carbine stock? I'm dumb, how else would you have a 9mm buffer

I have a 20" A2 upper with a 6 position stock on it with a standard CAR buffer and standard AR carrier (full circle at the rear and cut under the firing pin). With Wolf 62gr (does the same with 55gr), it will eject to my rear at about the 4-4:30 position. The same place a standard 20" with a rifle stock ejects. It sounds like you really have a heavier operating system with the M16 carrier and 9mm buffer.

I'd be willing to bet an H buffer or even a CAR buffer would make it run fine on Wolf. My opinion, anyways.

WIZZO

RRA makes a spacer for A2 stocks which allow use of 9mike-mike buffers
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a video of slow then rapid fire with a 9mm buffer on my AR15...

If you guys want to see the muzzle rize and recoil of the rifle I can share it.

I just need someone to host it.

Its a close up video and you get to the rifle clear as day.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#38]
tag
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top