AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How many of the rifles that had malfunctions were home built?

BINGO...

BTW - I had another 200+ rounds out of my LMT 10.3" with enhanced bolt today - no issues.  I have more than 7k thru another one...
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
We had two complete LMT's in the Virginia Hometown Blackwater class held in May. Mine shot like a dream through the entire class with zero problems. ARFCOM Team Member JC_ had a few issues when using the "Enhanced" bolt&carrier. He switched out the enhanced for a standard LMT bolt&carrier and had zero issues for the rest of the class. He said the LMT enhanced setup worked flawlessly in his NFA registered carbine, but gave him problems with other uppers. Some guy's swear by the enhanced setup, but others have nothing but problems. This is the exact reason I have never purchased one. I stick with LMT standard bolts and carriers with Wolf HD extractor springs and ADCO CRANE O-rings and have never had a single issue.

I'm also not falling for the Colt is perfect BS. I have seen Colt's fail just as bad as any other manufacturer. ARFCOM member Bladerunner had problems with his Colt throughout the entire class for example.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I'll bite.  Both my primary and spare were assembled by me, soup to nuts.  I'm waving nobody's flag, I buy RRA lowers for value, and work from there.  It was refreshing to see indiscriminate failures that didn't follow brand lines or care how much the system cost.  Model 1 had at least one failure (don't remember what), and LMT had a bad day.  

I had a series of type 1's at the end of the day today when I was out of XM193 and into my reserve Wolf 55grs.  Hammer dropped, no fire, cycle, shoot.  Next mag was back to a half-full XM193, end of problem.  Dirty hot carbine + Wolf ammo = sub-optimal for me today (no big surprise).
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ARFCOM member Bladerunner had problems with his Colt throughout the entire class for example.

I think that was the hammer spring.  He was fine friday afternoon, wasn't he?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ARFCOM member Bladerunner had problems with his Colt throughout the entire class for example.

I think that was the hammer spring.  He was fine friday afternoon, wasn't he?

I cannot remember exactly what happened, but he did get it sorted out. I do not recall him having another problem throughout the rest of the class.

I might have mentioned this problem, but I hate broad statements about individual manufacturers based on experiences from one rifle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, I'll bite.  Both my primary and spare were assembled by me, soup to nuts.  I'm waving nobody's flag, I buy RRA lowers for value, and work from there.  It was refreshing to see indiscriminate failures that didn't follow brand lines or care how much the system cost.  Model 1 had at least one failure (don't remember what), and LMT had a bad day.  

Why did LMT have a "Bad Day"? LMT has already stated they do not recommend using the "Enhanced" setup in their 10.5" weapons. That includes the 10.5" MRP. But like anything related to the enhanced bolt&carrier parts there are no real rules. KevinB seems to have no issues with his 10.5" using this setup. JC_ stated he had no problems in his NFA weapon. Some guys have zero problems and love the enhanced parts while others have issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, I'll bite.  Both my primary and spare were assembled by me, soup to nuts.  I'm waving nobody's flag, I buy RRA lowers for value, and work from there.  It was refreshing to see indiscriminate failures that didn't follow brand lines or care how much the system cost.  Model 1 had at least one failure (don't remember what), and LMT had a bad day also.  

Why did LMT have a "Bad Day"? LMT has already stated they do not recommend using the "Enhanced" setup in their 10.5" weapons. That includes the 10.5" MRP. But like anything related to the enhanced bolt&carrier parts there are no real rules. KevinB seems to have no issues with his 10.5" using this setup. JC_ stated he had no problems in his NFA weapon. Some guys have zero problems and love the enhanced parts while others have issues.

Two or three of the MRP's went down, one due to Mk 262 Mod 1, one due to the enhanced bolt in a 16" barrel (no SBR in MI), one bent buffer tube, one LMT LPK went TU...  I wouldn't call that a good day.  Each of those issues was in a separate weapon.  I don't and haven't owned LMT for no reason other than they aren't as prolific for me locally, and as these weren't my weapons this should be considered anecdotal.  

eta - I'm going to address my brass burns and crash, apologies for my share of pulling this OT
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, I'll bite.  Both my primary and spare were assembled by me, soup to nuts.  I'm waving nobody's flag, I buy RRA lowers for value, and work from there.  It was refreshing to see indiscriminate failures that didn't follow brand lines or care how much the system cost.  Model 1 had at least one failure (don't remember what), and LMT had a bad day also.  

Two or three of the MRP's went down, one due to Mk 262 Mod 1, one due to the enhanced bolt in a 16" barrel (no SBR in MI), one bent buffer tube, one LMT LPK went TU...  I wouldn't call that a good day.  Each of those issues was in a separate weapon.  I don't and haven't owned LMT for no reason other than they aren't as prolific for me locally, and as these weren't my weapons this should be considered anecdotal.  

eta - I'm going to address my brass burns and crash, apologies for my share of pulling this OT

Very strange

Whats with adding the red? Are you trying to make a point?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Very strange

Whats with adding the red? Are you trying to make a point?

Dinger, I'm not intending sarcasm or anything with the highlighting, I just wanted to show what I was responding to.  Tone is difficult to assess via kb and monitor, but I try to make it overtly obvious if intended.  I also wanted to add the 'also' to the "bad day" comment to get the idea across that Mr Murphy zinged both the 3rd tier as well as high investment weapons, not that LMT is bunk.  I have no dogs in that fight.  I don't care whose name is on it, you can't see it easily anyway after I paint it up.

I was surprised that as many of the issues arose, but I know there was a fair percentage that had not done a carbine course prior (myself included), and at least one weapon came in with a pre-existing condition (the MRP with the bolt problem).  I was jammed up for time and money leading up to the class so my shakedown on both carbines I brought was a couple hundred rounds of Wolf w/o failure.  I couldn't get into my class ammo, and I was hoping underpowered Wolf would show up problems that might come up at 1400hrs and 400/800/950 rnds in during the class.  I was right, it showed that Wolf had issues at the end of the day under less than ideal conditions.  

also - I think the disconnector spring was on a two stage, and I think we've all heard that two-stages are bad for class work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]

I will add this; I was running a full LMT setup and had no issues.  I lent out my backup rifle which is also all LMT and it ran 150 rounds with no issues.  I use the standard bolt on both.  I had heard early on that the "Enhanced" bolt caused issues.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
also - I think the disconnector spring was on a two stage, and I think we've all heard that two-stages are bad for class work.

In my opinion for a working gun (non-precision), a 2-stage has no place. KAC or otherwise. Only my precision weapons have KAC/LMT 2-stage triggers. They would be my last option to run in typical carbine class or otherwise (only stock).  In an MR or LR environment, the rules are slightly different.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#13]
It was my factory LMT lower (with 2-stage trigger) that went tits-up. The morning of the 3rd day. LMT said to send it back and they would take a look at it.

Why should I have any less faith in a 2-stage trigger than a standard trigger? It’s not fine china, it should still work no matter how much or how little stress you subject it to.

In hindsight, it wasn’t the best idea for me to try and run my Recce, as I ended up using my M4gery to finish the class, but that’s what I wanted to run.

BTW, my M4gery is a CMT/Bushmaster/Mega/PRI/KAC home-built “franken-gun” that ran fine during the class.

And to get back on topic, I think a typical M4 (red dot sight, rail system, etc) is as close to perfect as a tactical carbine can get. Isn’t that why Big Green uses them?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Has ikold even posted a 2nd time in this thread?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Has ikold even posted a 2nd time in this thread?

No.  Neither did he respond to my e-mail nor my IM requesting that he do so.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe he got scared off?
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I fired 1000 rounds yesterday with Pat in Indiana, using my 11.5" Colt SBR with Krinkov brake.  NO malfunctions whatsoever.

What I noticed other shooters having trouble with:

KAC trigger went TU, I loaned that shooter my other Colt.
People not knowing where their shit was(I watched one uber-tac local range officer grab a 1911 mag and try to stuff it into his carbine during a speed reload)
People buying and trying to use either A)crap gear or B) good gear that they have no real use for, and no proficiency with.

Stick to your lane.  If you're Joe Sixpack wanting to learn to run a carbine for HD, don't show up in full Vietnam-era ALICE gear and a FUBAR homebrew gun.

YMMV, and my NSH .02.

Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In my opinion for a working gun (non-precision), a 2-stage has no place. KAC or otherwise. Only my precision weapons have KAC/LMT 2-stage triggers. They would be my last option to run in typical carbine class or otherwise (only stock).  In an MR or LR environment, the rules are slightly different.

I agree 100%, and so do many of the experts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe he got scared off?

Perhaps - and unfortunate if that happened.  

His class was in March.  The last March post was on page 10.  No report on his class.  Few fireworks other than a misinterpreted dig on eggy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Out of the box, Colt LE6920.

AGREED !
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I am also new to this community site. However, I am not new to the AR. My first "Black Gun" experience was in 1978 at MCRD, Parris Island, SC with an M16A1. In 1995, I had to "qual" with an M16A2 in the USAF. Just this year, I purchased my very first AR-15. The DPMS Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR) was my choice after careful deliberation. Not long after the purchase, I added a Spectergear MOUT sling (sgl. pt.) with the GG&G adapter. I also converted the DPMS telescopic stock to the VLTOR Carbine Modstock with the storage compartments mounted. I swapped the M4 handguards out for an A.R.M.S. S.I.R. system and mounted an EOTech holosight (512A65). Additionally, I attached a Streamlight "Scorpion" light with a First Samco rail mount. I have since fired the little carbine with the EOTech and I like it. The weapon operates flawlessly and the HWS worked superbly. I am extremely pleased with the combination I chose. Oh, I just added a Wilson Combat tactical latch for the charging handle too. I works really well. All it takes is the side of your palm to charge the weapon. Talk about easy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%, and so do many of the experts.

Agreed, but it's a nit.  For an otherwise squared away shooter it wouldn't make a difference they had a single or two stage trigger.  Many would take a good two-stage over a crappy single stage anyday, myself included.   There have been times in history when the badasses carried preferred 2-stage triggers (the Colt Python comes to mind)
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I think this is it:

It is small enough for in house use and has the range for out of house use.  It has the speed and accuracy needed for almost situation where I would ever use it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]
my bad
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
The people contributing to this thread have been trying to keep it gun picture free, but you should at the least resize those badboys.

ETA:  No worries, if you need the pics resized for another thread, I'll be happy to resize them.  I'll IM you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#29]
After loading various guns up with rail mounted accessories I've come to understand that keeping it light and simple is the best way to go.  The ultimate match / CQB carbine for me is my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S turned registered SBR with its new, super light 4 pos. RRA stock.  I'm even thinking now that I may swap the upper for one without the lower hand guard rail since I don't need the weight and the plain carbon 15 handguard is more hand friendly than the rail cover.

No pics - thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Accomplish I did not want to further edit your post.

But do you mind explaining the WHY behind the Carbon15?
I appreciate the light weight - but can you give us more.

Cheers

Its compact and handy in addition to being extremely light.  When I spent an entire weekend doing live fire CQB drills alternating between a tacted out, 11+ lb. HK53 clone and a super heavy VEPR based Krebs KTR-03V, I knew that cutting the weight and useless add-ons would be critical to improve operator comfort & speed.  The sleekest, simplest, lightest and most reliable weapon should be the best for most applications.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Roger that - I just had not gotten any good reviews on reliability from the Carbons so was wondering how it was doing for you...

+1  Range Report?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I am also considering taking one of Blackwater's Carbine courses probably next year but first I want to take the Bushmaster Armorer's course they offer so I can totally build my own guns from scratch. I enjoyed reading USMC_03's responses about Blackwater's course that he and others here have taken. I also believe in the KISS method. I have a removeable Armalite scope mount on my Bushmaster that sports a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope on it. I am going to purchase a ARMS BUIS for my rifle. The only gear I own is simple "first line gear". A 5.11 vest that is loaded with 4 AR mags, 2 Glock 19 mags, mini Maglight, Spyderco Delica, A Bersa Thunder .380 with spare mag, felt tip markers, and a chemlight. I have an BHI holster for my G19 and a TAG 2cell 4mag dropleg pouch. I feel thats all I need. I am going to get a Redi-Mag for my rifle and a dump pouch for expended mags. I feel that is a simple but effective load to take a course besides a positive mental attitude,  gloves, sunglasses, and hat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn, some good advice from select people here.
I'll keep my post simple.
THIS

+
THIS

+
THIS

Is money much better spent for the beginner and hell just about everyoneWho wants to improve there shooting and be prepared for a possible situation than dropping lots on simply a setup like
THIS

Thats Alpha9000's carbine, not picking on you, it is an awesome rifle, just fits the roll lol.

I run only a 16'' CAV-Arms Carbine with a 3 point and an LMT BUIS.  I bought an OKO for it also, which is a nice little red dot by all means.  I've never really even used it.  I was going to buy an aimpoint, than i started reading stuff like this from USMC, Yaeger and others on Lightfighter and i only have bought ammo since than.  I need more good mags too, but thats another point all together.  I feel damn proficiant with my Irons, but the groups arn't one hole yet, so i keep practicing.
I already registered for the Tactical Rifle class from Tactical Response in October that is in Tucson.  Sure, i could spend the $500 (300 course, $200 ammo) on a badass optic and other stuff.  But man, i REALLY feel the training will do more, so that's what i am going to spend the money on.  Hell, the OKO won'T even come to the course with me.  It will be me, my CAV-15 16'' with LMT buis and 3 point and maybe a light.
So i echo what others have said.
Simple Carbine, Irons, Light, Good MAGs and ammo, TRAINING, TRAINING and a good simplem pistol setup.  I only own one pistol, a stock P228, which i will also be taking to that course.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#36]
EDIT - I guess you missed my point about the rationale to posting pics...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
KISS
www.hunt101.com/img/311553.jpg

nice rig, prdatr1

curious though......does the riser-mounted BUIS allow proper aiming?

Maybe its an optical illusion, but they look uneven. (your front and rear irons)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#38]

curious though......does the riser-mounted BUIS allow proper aiming?

Maybe its an optical illusion, but they look uneven. (your front and rear irons)

It looks to me like the riser is an ARMS#38 SWAN rail, in which case the rear sight is built-in to the rail and would be at the right height.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
KISS

If that is your idea of KISS, I'd hate to see what 'complex' looks like...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KISS

Add a light and an optic?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KISS

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Well folks, I've gone and done it now. I'm taking a Tactical Response Tactical Carbine class this weekend. I'll post an update on how my rifle(s) hold up. My main gun is my tricked out, every thing Larue, MSTN built, uber carbine, which I now call the "boat anchor" . My backup is an almost stock Bushmaster, with a Mag-Pull stock, TD Battlegrip,and a 3 pt sling  being the only real mods. Anyway both guns run well (knock on wood), each having over 1000 rounds through them.

Stay safe and shoot straight

-sc
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#43]
M3 light not mounted here.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Keep It Simple.  You won't regret that!

I like a basic M4 carbean with a weapon mounted light of some sort.  I use the M3 light rail from GG&G.  Iron sights only for me.  And an Israeli sling to finish it off.  I hate 3 points slings they are too limiting.  The Israeli sling offers the same method of carry, but with versitility of the two point attachment.

Simple is good in these classes.

w00t!

+1!  Like the bottom carbean here!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]
@ prdatr1

Hi, whats that for Compensator on your Rifle?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#46]
edit
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#47]
edit
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#48]
edit

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Edit
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Hmmm.. More gun porn in this thread? Damn....

Anyway, my carbine survived the Tactical Response Tactical Rifle class, with no failures to feed, extract, etc as long as I fed it loaded magazines. Ammo used was XM193. On day 2 of the class it was found that my rifle was shooting low and left no matter how the aimpoint or the irons were adjusted. I'm thinking the barrel nut might be loose, but if it isn't that then the barrel is hosed somehow. It's an LMT 16" M4 barrel with about 6000 rounds down the pipe, 100% XM193. No worries because I just happen to a have a spare barrel anyway.  Any ideas? Anyway I had a great time, and learned alot.

-sc
Page / 13
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top