Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2005 12:35:11 PM EDT
I would be instantly sold on the MRP if LMT would offer a gas piston driven barrel for it,

does anyone see this as a possiblity?

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be cool. I know they have prototyped one, I don't know if it will hit production. I'll settle for a 6.8 barrel with any gas system.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Would I like one? yes.
Do I think they will offer one at a reasonable price? No.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That would be cool. I know they have prototyped one, I don't know if it will hit production. I'll settle for a 6.8 barrel with any gas system.

I would like to see an MRP version, particularly in 6.8SPC
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The LW gas piston retrofit will reportedly also work on the MRP.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the LW system, but won't buy one until other manufactures start producing their version and a unversal design is adapted as an industry standard or one is adopted by the gov

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the 6.8 gas piston upper

It should be the next step in upgrading the militaries ARs
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
any more info on the lw system?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
How long have people been trying to find a piston based upper? Since the 1960's
How many companies have dabbled with the concept? Plenty
How many have ever been adopted or accepted? Zero
Prognosis? If you want a piston gun, buy a piston gun. That is never going to be the AR15

Give it up
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It was posted some time ago that this was tried (SCAR candidate prototype) & accuracy suffered. Maybe they are working on a fix, but I don't know. Obviously, FN figured it out. I've read posts from (supposedly) Alex Robinson that his XCR is pushing 1.5"-2" groups out of a standard bbl. in 5.56+ trim, & a little larger for 7.62 cal. Put on an optional heavier bbl. (He claims he'll offer them), & those groups would surely tighten.

LMT seems rather quiet lately, but that is typical of most makers just prior to the SHOT Show (27 days & counting).
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Prognosis? If you want a piston gun, buy a piston gun. That is never going to be the AR15

Give it up

M63 Stoner, yes I'm an old fart compared to most here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Give it up

http://www.leitner-wise.com/products/556cp.htm

Care to explain? Evidently its been doing VERY well in testing, and the military might be looking into it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Leitner-Wise

$595 to convert your existing upper with a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I emailed Leitner-Wise about thier piston system adaptibility to the MRP, waiting to hear back from them.

Yes, alot of companies/people have messed around with a piston conversion for the AR15/M16 over the years, but personally I feel most were half hearted or half *ssed attempts. Improvements in technology, manufacturing abilities, and good ole innovative thinking have changed over the years. I think Leitner-Wise is on to something.

At the risk of repeating myself, I've stated this opinion in other posts, but I don't see way a simple and reliable upper conversion with a piston gas system is'nt doable for the AR15/M16.

It may be that the level of interest/desire for this type gas piston upper from the government/military as opposed to the lowly individual ARaholic is finally high enough for some serious developement.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the LW system, but won't buy one until other manufactures start producing their version and a unversal design is adapted as an industry standard or one is adopted by the gov

Good point!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it just me or do AR's work fine with the regular system and proper cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

-Cap'n

So who will be the first to try this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They already have - watch this space!  
HFG
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Cap'n

So who will be the first to try this?

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
whats the benifit of a piston system?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Though the idea of a piston upper is appealing to some, I don't really think it is necessary.  Do your AR's really work that poorly that you NEED to have a piston upper?  I suggest cleaning your guns if that is the case.  Most AR's these days run very well with an operator that is knowledgable about the maintenance of the weapon.  I have run thousands of rounds throught my AR with only a fresh squirt of lube on the bolt(not exactly the model of maintenance but hey,.. I get lazy too).  By adding the piston aspect to the MRP upper you take away one of the best qualities of the design which is the decrease in weight due to the receiver and handguard being machined of one piece.  Current MRP's run very well.  Just don't see the need I guess....
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Though the idea of a piston upper is appealing to some, I don't really think it is necessary.  Do your AR's really work that poorly that you NEED to have a piston upper?  I suggest cleaning your guns if that is the case.  Most AR's these days run very well with an operator that is knowledgable about the maintenance of the weapon.  I have run thousands of rounds throught my AR with only a fresh squirt of lube on the bolt(not exactly the model of maintenance but hey,.. I get lazy too).  By adding the piston aspect to the MRP upper you take away one of the best qualities of the design which is the decrease in weight due to the receiver and handguard being machined of one piece.  Current MRP's run very well.  Just don't see the need I guess....

The LW system, which has been referenced here is weight neutral so there would be no increase and if you use your weapon competitively, then the reduced recoil and lack of muzzle rise would bring you back on target quicker.  
HFG
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I must have a link to this site in my mind because on the way home from the range today I was thinking about the very same thing. I fired so many rounds today my bolt is so gumed up with carbon that it won't even cycle properly. I am going to be getting a MRP VERY SOON and was thinking to myself how wonderfull it would be to have a MRP with a piston driven system. My first thought was to call Kurt at KKF and see if his piston system could be adopted to the MRP, but if LMT could do something like this, I would just piss all over myself.

Right now I am cleaning my AR and my keyboard is starting to look like my bolt so I better finish cleaning my AR and wash up before I do anymore typing. The keys are getting hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The MRP isn't a big decrease in weight. A 16" upper with a similar profiled barrel and LaRue 12.0 will weigh about an ounce less than a 16" rifle length MRP. With a DD 12.0, it weighs almost 4 oz less than the MRP. The best quality of the MRPs design is a relatively low weight coupled with a fully monolithic upper. An uninterrupted top rail is really nice, and the QCB feature is very convenient.

As to the advantages of a piston system, I can honestly only see one in 5.56. It's better suited to OTB ops. Yes, followup shots are faster, but with a 9 lb 5.56 gun followups are fast anyways. From a true blue operator's point of view, I can see the advantages. Those advantages, however, don't really apply to me.

With that being said, if I find a CQB MRP for a reasonable price, it might find it's way to L-W to be set up with a piston.

HipFiredGun, is there any difference in the velocity of ammo fired in the piston upper versus a direct impingement gun?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Capn,

I agree with a normal upper, but when a "can" is attached, that changes everything.

The direct gas system really shines when its unsupressed.

The true benefits of a piston system can be seen when it's suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
HipFiredGun, is there any difference in the velocity of ammo fired in the piston upper versus a direct impingement gun?

-Cap'n

Not with the 10.3" barrel and only slightly with the 14.5".  We recorded an average 25 fps increase with the gas piston weapons over the direct impingement ones (14.5" M4's).  

By the way, while typing away here, I got an MRP out of the armory and one of the piston uppers - there is no reason why you could not convert an MRP barrel to gas piston and the gas hole in the MRP upper looks like it's ready to accept the LW bushing.  This bushing by the way, still allows the use of the standard gas tube as the op rod and gas tube are of the same OD.  
HFG
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it up

http://www.leitner-wise.com/products/556cp.htm

Care to explain? Evidently its been doing VERY well in testing, and the military might be looking into it.

Blah blah blah...the military is looking into it. Like we havent been hearing this for the longest. Colt showed a piston upper in the 80's and the military blew it off. Take the AR15 as it is, because it isnt going to change. We'll get a new rifle first. EVen the HK piston upper is being totally ignored.

Without goverment adoption a piston upper will be nothing but a headache due to conflicting parts and no uniform standard, and the goverment isnt looking to adopt yet another AR15. If no one noticed there have been some contacts put up for grabs and the AR15 isnt a contender for them, which rules out a piston based M16A5.

If you really want a piston rifle buy an XCR or AR180B
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
whats the benifit of a piston system?

Well you see, when you shoot there is gas, and with a piston it gets all "gass-pistoney".  Then you never have to clean your weapon and bullets will always hit the target, even around corners.  Pretty flowers will grow where you shoot and childeren will laugh and play with gumdrop smiles on their faces.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The benefit is the gases do not enter the chamber and build up carbon or clog gas tubes. The piston operation proposes a "self-cleaning" system, where the gases to not enter the chamber, rather force the piston rearward cycling the action and ejecting into the atmosphere.

While there are many arguments that AR15's do not jam due to clogged gas-tubes, I would rather be safe than sorry and use a system that has proven to be reliable.

BTW. I would TOTALLY be down for an LMT MRP CQB with a Leiter-Wise pistion-operation. The one OTHER piston-operated M16/AR15 upper receiver people have forgotten about is the Shrike.

No Kitty's were harmed in this posting.

Sammy
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
While there are many arguments that AR15's do not jam due to clogged gas-tubes, I would rather be safe than sorry and use a system that has proven to be reliable.

No offense, but you don't get much more proven than the direct impingement system. Sure, it has drawbacks, but so does every other system out there.

HFG, thx for the info. What do they run like suppressed? Any louder than the standard guns?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I would be instantly sold on the MRP if LMT would offer a gas piston driven barrel for it,

Dude, get real! In your topic post your already sold. Now it's this you say "I like the LW system, but won't buy one until other manufactures start producing their version and a unversal design is adapted as an industry standard or one is adopted by the gov.."

Which is it? Are you SOLD or not?

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, but you don't get much more proven than the direct impingement system. Sure, it has drawbacks, but so does every other system out there.

HFG, thx for the info. What do they run like suppressed? Any louder than the standard guns?

-Cap'n

Run very well suppressed, no increase in dB's over standard weapons regardless of which cans we used - mostly KAC.  
HFG
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Run very well suppressed, no increase in dB's over standard weapons regardless of which cans we used - mostly KAC.  
HFG

So, to recap...

It runs great with a can, no loss of velocity, weight neutral, no noticable loss of accuracy, and it can be retrofit to the MRP.

Sounds like it's calling my name Now to find a CQB MRP for a decent price...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, get real! In your topic post your already sold. Now it's this you say "I like the LW system, but won't buy one until other manufactures start producing their version and a unversal design is adapted as an industry standard or one is adopted by the gov.."

I am sold on the idea of a gas piston upper especially if an MRP will be made with the option, however I don't know if the LW system will be the one to buy or not... I hope I'm not sounding too much like john kerry
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Variablebinary, if you only knew
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sold on the idea of a gas piston upper especially if an MRP will be made with the option, however I don't know if the LW system will be the one to buy or not... I hope I'm not sounding too much like john kerry

Oh my god, Flip Flopitis is potentialy carreer ending disease. Drink a beer and relax. As long as you dont mention anything about Cheny's lesbian daughter you should be OK.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Buey, stop being such a fucking asshole!

Sammy
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Bite Me! He can handle it, and he probably is a big enough man to handle his own problems if he even had any, which obviously he doesnt. and no Im not going name calling with you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I hate to expose my own stupidity, but what does "MRP" stand for?

thank you

Richard
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

thank you

Richard

Monolithic Rail Platform
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

thank you

Richard

Over priced waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

thank you

Richard

Mainly Rich People?  
HFG
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Manufacturers Rippedoff Property.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

thank you

Richard

Oh dear, look what you've started!!!
HFG
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you

Richard

Over priced waste of money.

IIRC, aren't you the guy that digs the RobArms M96 and FNC?

-Cap'n
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top