BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2004 7:29:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You're 9mm carbine is a better weapon than a .223 Pistol.

A .223 with a 7" barrel just makes lots of noise & flash and leaves a wound channel similar to a .22LR.

If you want .223 and want a really compact unit why not get the Kel-Tec SU-16 (preferably the 'B' model with the 16" barrel).
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
forget the AR pistols or SBR ARs for SD

ballistics/ accuracy/ penetration/stability sucks
the 5.56 rnd's strength lies in VELOCITY which it must obtain through adequate powder burn as it travels through the bbl
11.5 in of bbl is not enough

for 5.56 the min bbl lenght i'd go is 14.5 in

how about an AK w/ a folding stock or an AR w/ M-4 stock and 14.5 bbl w/ a perm phantom?
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would not go under 11.5' for a 5.56 barrel, for the reasons you mentioned.  I suppose you could offset the ballistic problems with shorter barrels by using soft point or HP ammo,

Nope.  There is no ammo that will significantly improve the terminal effects of a 7" barrel AR-15.

Now with a 10" or 11"  with a 1:7 twist I'd tell you to run 75gr TAP or Black Hills Heavy Match then you'd have something.

There is another idea, we discussed it breifly on AR15-L and one of the list's members is supposed to be working on one.

An AR-15 Pistol PDW.

Here is the concept.  Get an upper with an 11.5" barrel, and make sure the pistol lower has a single point sling mounting point.

You use the firearm by griping the pistol grip - with your other hand wrapped around the magazine well.  You will need the single point sling attached.  Now push the weapon away from your body (to put tension on the sling) - this is the method used by the Europeans to shoot SMG's w/o using the stock.

With a red-dot optic it should be able to give you enough stability for COM hits out to 100y, and with the 75gr OTMs you should have decent terminal performance for 50-75 yards.

I'd still rather go with the Kel Tec...
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Something compact to extend beyond the reach of my 1911 .45ACP handgun that I also carry.

The military already solved that issue .... M1 Carbine

Really at 100 yards a shoulder stock is more useful then a heavier caliber.

Because as we all know.....

I must fire my rifle true.  I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me.  I must shoot him before he shoots me.  I will.  My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make.  We know that it is the hits that count.  We will hit.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a krink in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
my ar pistol does great for accuracy to 100+ yards

using 75 grain ammo will make a big difference in wound capability also

shoot it like a rifle, nose on charging handle, the extension weld is right between the jaw and cheek, works great
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, that was EXACTLY the set-up and method I had in mind.  Although I would still go with M193.  it hits the 2500 fps limit at about 50 yards, which is all I need it to do in a pinch.

Problem is you need 2600fps for any reliablity...
75gr does a better job, is more reliable, and extends your range.

but it may be more of an exercise in frustration, and simpler just to keep the Kel-Tec...

Yep - and you'll be more accurate with the Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BTW, I'd like to read the thread on the PDW, if there is one.  Forest, could you point me to it? and what's AR15-L?

AR15-L was an e-mail list orginally started on this site (prior to the Forums).  It has since migrated to Yahoogroups (you can sign up for it there).  Pleny of us are on both (here and there).  You can access the list via e-mail or read it online (llike a forum).

The PDW discussion started here: AR15 PDW  but the idea came from a post a day or so earlier (you can seach back from the above post).
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
MRW -

This is exactly what I am doing now.  I am in the precess of building my 7.5" AR Pistol with a CQB single point HST sling.  I currently hunt with a Lone Eagle single shot pistol in 7mm-08.  I have a single point sling attached to the but of the grip and I push the pistol away from my body to steady it.  With my 3x scope I can take down Bucks with ease at 150 yards.

The only difference between the AR Pistol I am building and what you have in mind, is that I have sent in my Form4 for a Noise Suppressor.  With a Can installed, should I need the pistol for a SHTF situation indoors, I won't lose my hearing and almost all muzzle flash will be eliminated.

MadDog
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
PLEASE get back to me when your project is complete and let me know how it shoots, both accuracy wise and your prefered presentation method!

Thanks!

+1 I've taken in interest in this - but alas my state does not allow me to build one.

MRW: IIRC the Model 1 pistol buffer was discussed.  It's shorter than the buffer systems used in other AR pistols and IIRC comes with a sling swivel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#17]
The Model 1 buffer tube is a little smaller than the one on the Bushy Pistol but it does not come with a sling swivel.  I replaced the "receiver end plate" with an end plate made by GG&G that has a loop for a sling.  If I had a digital camera I would take pictures of my project especially after my Advanced Armament Noise Suppressor is approved, however the cost of a good camera would eat into my AR funds (therefore no camera).

MadDog
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PLEASE get back to me when your project is complete and let me know how it shoots, both accuracy wise and your prefered presentation method!
Thanks!

+1 I've taken in interest in this - but alas my state does not allow me to build one.
MRW: IIRC the Model 1 pistol buffer was discussed.  It's shorter than the buffer systems used in other AR pistols and IIRC comes with a sling swivel.

Forest-
Do you have a link to the actual passage?  I recall something like this, is it because all AR Pistols are considered copys of one of the named "assault pistols"?  I'm thinking about building one, and the fam still lives in MD.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Forest-
Do you have a link to the actual passage?  I recall something like this, is it because all AR Pistols are considered copys of one of the named "assault pistols"?  I'm thinking about building one, and the fam still lives in MD.  Thanks.  

Nope it was not included in the assault pistol law.

However all HANDGUNS in the state of MD produced after a certain date (longe since passed) have to be on the Approved Handgun roster.

As AR-15 pistols are NOT on the approved list you can't buy or build one.  BTW they would also lack the mandated built in lock - but there is a newly approved device that might work with an AR-15 Pistol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...An AR-15 Pistol PDW.

Here is the concept.  Get an upper with an 11.5" barrel, and make sure the pistol lower has a single point sling mounting point...

You mean like this? (I'll be adding a red-dot sight to it soon):

[The bottom picture (of just the lower) is just so you can see the single-point-sling plate.]
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Harshell - that is the concept (nice job BTW); though I was thinking a red dot as a primary sight (EOTech 512 or an OKO with the steel hood).  BUIS would be required...
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Forest:  While we're discussing these (and knowing your expertise on such subjects), how would the low-powered frangible USGI ammo (Federal R2LP, IIRC) work in one of these 11.5" uppers?  I thought it would eliminate some of the wasted powder/excess noise/giant fireball of the short barrel, but I have no idea how it would behave ballistically?...
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
[However all HANDGUNS in the state of MD produced after a certain date (longe since passed) have to be on the Approved Handgun roster.

As AR-15 pistols are NOT on the approved list you can't buy or build one.  BTW they would also lack the mandated built in lock - but there is a newly approved device that might work with an AR-15 Pistol.

So does that preclude importing (i.e. transporting through/into the state)?
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So does that preclude importing (i.e. transporting through/into the state)?

Hmm interesting question.

There is no law prohibiting you from owning one (it's not covered in the Assualt pistol ban.  The law only prevents one from being transfered to you (i.e. you can't buy one or buy an AR lower tagges as a 'pistol receiver').  However if you own one as a resident of another state and you move into MD and become a MD resident there is no law that I'm aware of that would prevent that.

Of course if you own one and are just passing through that would be legal to posses.  You could also bring one in state for a shoot.  However you could be hassled by LEOs who don't know the law and just assume your prohibited from owning it (court case ensues).
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
i think an ar pistol with a rapid expansion round would be a good weapon... the round may not penitrate but your going to blow about a fist size hole in a chest... and its one of the smallest lightest weapons possible...

put a vortex on it if possible(weight)... and an aimpoint...(optics don't count toward the 50oz)
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Forest:  While we're discussing these (and knowing your expertise on such subjects), how would the low-powered frangible USGI ammo (Federal R2LP, IIRC) work in one of these 11.5" uppers?  I thought it would eliminate some of the wasted powder/excess noise/giant fireball of the short barrel, but I have no idea how it would behave ballistically?...

Terminal ballistics would suck (which is my primary interest).  I don't know how well it would fly (I have no data on that round).
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Terminal ballistics would suck (which is my primary interest).  I don't know how well it would fly (I have no data on that round).

Terminal is what I had in mind - and I suspected as much.  Like you, I don't care how well it flies if it doesn't do anything meaningful when it "lands."

Where/when/in what application might that round be useful defensively, if ever.  (At present, I only use them for practice at the range, when I am shooting VERY close to my backstop (CQB drills, etc.) and "splatter" might be an issue - that's what I bought them for.)
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
jar3ds -

The 50 oz. weight limit is no longer an issue with the ending of the AWB as far as I know.  At least I hope so since I just built a 7.5" with phantom flash hider and added a SureFire E1 putting it over the limit.  Bushmaster now offers their pistol with a full length hand guard all the way to the muzzle brake putting it over the 50 oz. limit and I think they have done this because of the AWB sunset.  Before the AWB sunset you could not have a hand guard on an AR Pistol.

MadDog
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Get a krink in 7.62x39.

SickMAK beat me to it.  A krink SBR in 7.62x39 or AMD65 (SBR or with an extended flash supressor) would be a much better choice than a short barreled AR15 with no stock for engagements up to 100yrds.  Personally, I'm having an AMD built as an emergency/trunk gun.  The stock will help at longer distances and the heavier bullet isn't as dependant on velocity to do its damage.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[However you could be hassled by LEOs who don't know the law and just assume your prohibited from owning it (court case ensues).  

And therein lies the rub.  Always seems to be that way, doesn't it?    Thanks Forest.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
My pick is CLOSE to what has been mentioned, and now that I'm pretty sure I have one on reserve, I'm free to spill the beans.

Kel-Tec SU-16C

I won't even mention the details, because it's way too exciting.

http://www.kel-tec.com/su16cpr.htm
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Where/when/in what application might that round be useful defensively, if ever.

Frangibles are mostly meant for shooting at steel at close ranges (for training), for defensive use they lack penetration.

I ought to pick some up to try out against common building materails.  Sounds like a good winter project.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Personally, I'm having an AMD built as an emergency/trunk gun.  The stock will help at longer distances and the heavier bullet isn't as dependant on velocity to do its damage.

Shaggy,
You're going to keep a NFA item in your truck? and in NY no less?

Hombe you got a set of big brass ones.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Personally, I'm having an AMD built as an emergency/trunk gun.  The stock will help at longer distances and the heavier bullet isn't as dependant on velocity to do its damage.

Shaggy,
You're going to keep a NFA item in your truck? and in NY no less?

Hombe you got a set of big brass ones.

Well for starters, I'm in NYC and I don't even own a truck so NFA in the truck is automatically out.

I do, however, have a place in PA and a car though, so an AMD65 in the trunk is possible when I'm there.  I'm not going to SBR it though - there's decent looking extended brakes available that can be permanently attached to get it up to 16".  Besides, the inch or two I'd save by SBRing it isn't really worth the $200 tax to me.  The whole thing, including the receiver, AMD parts and assembly should only run about $400.  Even if I was to SBR it, keepin an SBR in the trunk doesn't worry me though - its not terribly expensive like a transferable MG.

Link Posted: 11/19/2004 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I do, however, have a place in PA and a car though, so an AMD65 in the trunk is possible when I'm there.  I'm not going to SBR it though - there's decent looking extended brakes available that can be permanently attached to get it up to 16".  Besides, the inch or two I'd save by SBRing it isn't really worth the $200 tax to me.  The whole thing, including the receiver, AMD parts and assembly should only run about $400.  Even if I was to SBR it, keepin an SBR in the trunk doesn't worry me though - its not terribly expensive like a transferable MG.

Sounds good - kinda like the M4geries with the elongated FS to make them non-NFA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good - kinda like the M4geries with the elongated FS to make them non-NFA.

Exactly.  I think an SBRed krink would be better - you can get a krink and a 75rd drum (or several mags) in a small backpack - probably the best solution for a very compact, rifle caliber weapon with a good punch for short range engagements.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
question for those with a pistol buffer- does the edge of the cap dig into your face when you shoot it?  The one pictured above looks like it would leave a mark if you tried to get a cheek weld.

I've only shot a few AR pistols, but I just held the thing at arms length like a regular pistol.  The 5.56 doesn't have a lot of recoil, but I'm not sure I want to put it right up against your face.  I'd feel pretty stupid if I limp wristed and busted my grill!  

If/when I build one, it's going to be with a CAR-length recoil system for a number of reasons.  I picked up a Colt 6400C buffer tube to cut down for a pistol-specific receiver extension a few months ago.  Member h8mtv has a similar setup, and has an ACE foam tube over the buffer.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=219331
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top