Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 4:10:57 PM EDT
It was a hoot. I fired about 80 rounds through it in the process of zeroing the sights. I set it up for a 50 yard zero, but then I shot it at 100. Since it only has the stock iron sights, it's hard to tell about group size at 100, but I was able to hold a 4-5" group. Does that seem about par for the course? (The Bushmaster is a LEO 16" with collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and threaded barrel.)

Also, I began to experience some failures to extract toward the end of the session. Is that fouling buildup after so few rounds or should I be looking for some other cause? The ammo was USA (Winchester) 5.56 ball.

And finally, where is that table that shows trajectory with a 50 yard zero. I saw it here, but can't find it again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you clean it before firing? Usually they leave the factory caked in cosmoline (sticky substance) instead of lubricant. This is sometimes a typical cause of early malfunctions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Shot my new LEO Bushy carbine for the first time yesterday as well. First AR platform I have owned, and the first I have really fooled with since I passed my M16A2 back into the armory for the last time several years ago. I gave mine a good cleaning (smell of CLP brought back some memories) and ran 140 rounds through it. Ran like a champ, no failures or malfunctions. Forgot how much fun they are. Got my BZO for the irons and for the EOTech. Then went to town with the EOTech plinking at targets of opportunity floating down the bayou from 20 to 100 yds. I LOVE this thing!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I did clean it, but left the moving parts of the receiver "generously oiled" as per the manual. I took it apart and cleaned it tonight, but found no excessive fouling and no apparent extractor problems. So, I don't know what the problem was. Break-in maybe? I hope it's not going to be a systemic problem.

And I still would like to have a link to the ballistics charts that are somewhere on the site.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It should be reliable off the line.

Have you noticed the shell casings dropping close by? 5ft or less? I had a BM bolt once with a defective extractor spring (it was too short) which caused a few failure to extracts. What I noticed was shell casings were literally falling out of the receiver instead of being flung out.

A healthy extractor should sling them out a good distance.

BM's Technical data link
BM's Knowledge Base
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
When it extracted (which was most of the time) it threw the empties 5 to 10 feet. The situation when it failed would be that the bolt would be half open, the empty would be out of the chamber but jammed against the live round that was trying to feed. I disassembled the extractor last night, inspected and cleaned it, so maybe it will be fine from now on. I hope so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When it extracted (which was most of the time) it threw the empties 5 to 10 feet. The situation when it failed would be that the bolt would be half open, the empty would be out of the chamber but jammed against the live round that was trying to feed. I disassembled the extractor last night, inspected and cleaned it, so maybe it will be fine from now on. I hope so.

Scope out your ejector.  Hook a case head under the extractor and rock it back and forth on the ejector.  If it doesn't feel butter smooth............yooz got cleaning to do.

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I too have just received the same rifle last week. Shot about 300rd through it already, zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Several of us took FIRE Institute's Carbine 1 over Labor Day.  Two of us with Bushmasters (M4gery and SLC) both ran thru over 600 rounds each with ZERO problems that were not operator induced.  This is a military type rifle, it should go for a thousand rounds without cleaning.  Sounds like an extractor/ejector issue to me, but it may be break in related.  Clean the chamber thoroughly, under the extractor on the bolt, and check to see that the extractor spring is installed correctly.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The ammo was USA (Winchester) 5.56 ball.

I used this ammo on a break in once before. Gun was stiff (new springs, lube etc), ammo was very underloaded. Had several FTE, FTF's etc. After i switched ammo, and shot quite abit, never had a problem.

EDIT: From the original post, i took that the ammo was "winchester white box" standard ammo usually picked up at walmart, NOT Q3131 made by Winchester.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Gas key screws?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ammo was USA (Winchester) 5.56 ball.

I used this ammo on a break in once before. Gun was stiff (new springs, lube etc), ammo was very underloaded. Had several FTE, FTF's etc. After i switched ammo, and shot quite abit, never had a problem.

YMMV. I used to shoot nothing but Winchester ball (I dont have a complete rifle anymore right now, living in CA after SB23). Bought that stuff by the case and never had a failure that wasnt Rifle related. Come to think of it, they of course may have changed quality since 5 years ago. Jeez... amazing how time flys.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two bushies, and both of the 10 rnd mags that they came with are junk.  My first shooting session was about the same as yours.  I got some USGI mags and have had  very few problems after that (I have a few GI mags that give some trouble, but it is always the mags that are causing the problem, not the rifle or ammo)....and I shoot mostly Wolf.  I let my 16" go without cleaning just to see how long it would take to start  jamming.  I put about 1700 rnds through it before it started short stroking.   I cleaned it and in the process found that the gas key screws had worked loose.  Tightened them up and the problem went away ( I decided not to torture the poor thing after that.)  Anyway, the mags that came with the rifle sucked.  Even the old beat up USGI mags work better....seems the 30s better than the 20s in my experience.  Hope you enjoy your new rifles!  (yeah, you may say that you have only one, but we all know that's just for now!)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Went back to the range with LaBelle USGI mags and had no feeding or extraction problems. Set the iron sights up for the 50 yard improved battle sight zero. It is really a fun gun to shoot and much more accurate than my Mini-14. I'm thinking I don't need both - maybe sell the Ruger and get a match Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh uh, you said "Mini-14"...

Get 'im, Boys!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is really a fun gun to shoot and much more accurate than my Mini-14. I'm thinking I don't need both - maybe sell the Ruger and get a match Bushmaster?

Dump the Mini-14.

The AR15 has accuracy, customization, interchangeablity, and many other advantages.  Cheaper, plentiful mags, etc....  Better ergometrics

Standardization of weapons is a big advantage.  The Mini-14 doesn't bring anything to the party.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I am a 'don't sell' type fellow.  Sold my Ranch Rifle to finance a RRA entry carbine.  I must admit that the little rifle will outshoot the Mini, but I still wish I hadn't sold it.  

Oh well, move on.

Doc
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top