Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 6:44:28 PM EDT
I went to the range today and shot the SPR (Mk12 Mod 1) I built from parts from Wes at MSTN.  Every time I shoot it, it just gets better and better. Here are a couple of photos of the results. These were 50 yards, indoors with Black Hills 68 gr OTM Blue. Shot from a wooden bench with bipod and non-trigger hand under the grip as support. Both are 5 shot groups.

Thanks Wes. This thing never fails to amaze me.
Ed
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
damn fine gun, damn fine shooting
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Great looking rifle and even finer looking group.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Good Job Ed!  Glad to see another rifle that really likes the Black Hills 68gr.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
How about the specs on the rifle?  What kind of upper, lower, barrel, etc., etc.?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How about the specs on the rifle?  What kind of upper, lower, barrel, etc., etc.?

We needs details!

- BUCC_Guy

Awesome shootin!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Specs:
(These parts from Wes at MSTN)
1. barrel, SS, 18", 1:7, SPR by Compass Lake with CLE chamber and matching bolt.
2. KAC FF RAS
3. KAC front sight.
4. KAC gas block (fitted by Wes)
5. Ops Inc 2-port brake & collar (fitted by Wes)
6. KAC 600 BUIS
7. ARMS #35 QD base
8. ARMS #35M rings
9. ARMS QD Bi-pod Mount
10 Harris Bi-pod
11. Gas Buster charging handle
12. KAC RAS sling mount
13. KAC QD receiver rear sling mount

Other parts:
Pre-ban Oly lower from last batch before ban
Nolan ambi mag release
DPMS Ambi selector/safety
RRA/White Oak 2-stage trigger
Crane-style buttstock with Colt tube
Surefire 962C
Leupold M1/LR Gen 2 mil-dot with ARD
Left hand Ergo grip
Fulton T-marked upper receiver
Colt H buffer & spring

I think this gets about all of it. I got the barrel from Wes with the gas block and Ops Inc brake fitted and mounted. I assembled the rest. I've shot over 700 rounds with it, all BH and have not had a single FTF or FTE ( or malfunction of any kind). I use 20 round USGI mags. I've shot 68 gr OTM, 69 SMK, 73 Berger, 75 OTM and 77 (non-Nato). It liked them all. Of all of them, the 68 OTM is the least expensive and produces results that are limited by my ability. As I improve I will move to the SMK rounds.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Specs:
(These parts from Wes at MSTN)
1. barrel, SS, 18", 1:7, SPR by Compass Lake with CLE chamber and matching bolt.
2. KAC FF RAS
3. KAC front sight.

This wins the "single post with the most new acronyms for the acronyms and abbreviations list" award:

ARD
BH
CLE
OTM
QD
SMK

And that's just the new ones.  Count all the acronyms in this post that were already in the list, and I think this post also wins the award for most acronyms in a single post, period.

You are keeping me busy...

Anyway, nice rifle and nice shooting.

ETA - Forgot about BH in the title.  Gotta go add that to list as well...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
No doubt, that IS great shooting and the gun DOES look great.

I think, however, that most of our ARs would be just as accurate at 50 yards using hand loads and the same scope.

I'm not trying to knock your shooting - you did a great job.  I just think that 50 yards doesn't prove anything.  Show me what you're capable of at 200, or 300 yards (or farther).  I think that's a far better yard stick.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]
F-Sponge,
No offense taken. Your point is true in that a longer yardstick gives better measurements. I shoot sometimes at Quantico Marine base on range one, 50, 100 and 300yds. Next time I go I'll take some photos.
I own several AR15s and have owned many others-Colts, BMs etc. and none of them are/were capable of the groups this SPR does. Maybe most other AR15s are, I don't know. From my experience at the range, for many, either they or the shooters are not.  I really don't care what others can do or if these results are common for most ARs, this post was mostly about being so very pleased with the SPR I built, the improvement it has allowed me to make in my own shooting ability and to reward Wes for making this possible for me.The Douglas SS barrel, SPR profile, Compass Lake Engineering (CLE)chamber, Minimum headspaced bolt and Black Hill reman 68 gr open tip match (OTM) really work well together, especially with the RRA trigger. Maybe with hand loads it would do even better.
Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
sweet! ...enough said
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Maybe with hand loads it would do even better.
Ed

Good shootin!  Nice musket too.  Ill bet worked up custom hand loads will really get you excited.  I know it does me!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice shootin'  My JTAC SPR does groups like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Specs:

Crane-style buttstock with Colt tube

Ed

You used to have a Vltor clubfoot stock on that right?  Why didi you go to the Crane?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top