Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2004 10:42:06 PM EDT
The gist of my sotry is that I was shooting with a buddy of mine and my AR all of a sudden started to have FTF problems.  He noted that it was only on the left side of the mag of one of my mags.  And sure enough there was a TINY, ITTY-BITTY ding on the mag lip the ding was a bout a hair (a blond hair at that) off.  If I wasn't experienceing FTF's I would have passed it off as a cosmetic scratch.  Looking at my feed ramps I see where the rounds have been hitting just low.  See the pic below.  So I am going to grid that edge where the nicks are so that any round that hits that spot won't snag and just feed up.  Before y'all jump up on why not to do it.  I completely agree that good mags in good repair are always best.  But wouldn't it be nice if your AR could feed crap mags in neglected repair?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this pic from another thread of mine.
Here's how my RRA A2 looks...
(and I didn't do it. It came that way)

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm Dremillin' mine.  Will post pics of how it came out
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Just in case you weren't aware of it, check out Steve from ADCO's informative thread on M4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Steve's thread and I understand his point.  Don't buy into M-4 feed ramps if you don't need them, and beware of hype.  I feel that I know what I'm getting into.  I am not going to touch the barrel nut.  I am having FTF's with rounds that hit that flat face just under the barrel nut ramps.  I want to just chamfer that edge a bit so that my rounds don't have a chance to get caught.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I saw Steve's thread and I understand his point.

As I recall, it was 'If you don't have a real Colt, you don't have M4 feed ramps'.

Don't buy into M-4 feed ramps if you don't need them, and beware of hype.

I think you need them.  And they certainly wouldn't hurt anyone else to have them, either.  Even if you don't  pay a royalty to Colt.  But don't call it an M4, because they will sue you.  Yeah, the Colt  hype is ... hype.

I am not going to touch the barrel nut.

I hope not, because it's nowhere near the part where the bullets go into the barrel extension.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As I recall, it was 'If you don't have a real Colt, you don't have M4 feed ramps'.

Shit!  Then what the hell are those notches on my LMT upper?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
and the ones on my Armalites.  Read the thread again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top