Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2004 10:26:09 AM EDT
Here are some pics of ARFCOM member, Doctor No at recent Tactical Carbine Competition of Texas Tactical in Hays County.   You gotta snap pics of Doctor NO, he has the gear most operators wish they had plus a spiffy M16 carbine that was more controllable than any 5.56 MG I have ever fired.  Kudo's to Doctor No, he has the skills to put some full auto fire on those IPDA targets while moving dynamically.  Thanks for letting me shoot the M16 Doc!hug.gif

http://img60.exs.cx/img60/3014/Dr_No_M16_Carbine.jpg

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/4757/Dr_No_Tactical.jpg

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/7260/Dr_No_barricade.jpg

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/3932/Dr_NosM16.jpg
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Tactical masking tape rules. 10 points.

I have an idea why that shorty might be so controllable.

I really like the HK style go lever markings, have any idea where that was done?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It appears it is a decal you apply to your lower.  I don't know where they are available.

Only the Doctor Know's The weight on that front end really helps!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell me about that BUIS.  At first glance it appeared to be a LMT one, but now I am not so sure due to its elongated "foot".
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
looks like fun

yea all that weight up front, i bet it's pretty controllable
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is the EO-Tech mounted so far forward?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tell me about that BUIS.  At first glance it appeared to be a LMT one, but now I am not so sure due to its elongated "foot".

Cut detachable carry handle?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Take a closer look, that elongated foot is not part of the BUIS. My quess is that´s mount for NVD.

MN
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be impressed when he finaly ante's-up and buys one of them new-fangled wireless pistols.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=189539

I could be wrong but .....

EDITED TO ADD ..... YUP I WAS WRONG
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont know about those Vietnam pattern "jungle boots" Seems like a real operator would prefer something by Danner or Corcoran.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]
What rig is he running? Looks like a Hellcat/Callahan but I've been wrong before.

What pouches on it?

And whats the drop leg holster? SOTech?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#13]
WTH is all that stuff he's wearing for?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet!  All he needs are some Oakley boots!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know a single real operator that wears Corcorans other than with his dress uniform.  Try Danners in the desert.  Good way for your soles to literally fall off of your feet.  I love my green jungle boots more than my fancy Oakley ballerina boots any day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hydration, secondary firearm, lots of mags for the primary and secondary.  Looks good to go to me!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What the?hat
That Doctor is FLY!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My best friend is SF and his favorite boots are his OD Jungles that have been resoled with Vibram soles.  You'll find lots of folks who still swear by the OD Jungles.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why is the EO-Tech mounted so far forward?

Mounting a dot optic forward that far helps with fast target acquisition. The SBR pictured in this discussion only has so much rail. On a longer barreled rifle, mounting an optic at the end can completely upset the rifle's balance.

mark
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
How much ammo does one carry on board for match like that?  Howm many rounds does it take to shoot a stage?

I didn't realize that the back pack was all water.  

I'm a highpower shooter.  I know nothing about this kind of sport.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I think it would be cool to shoot at one of these wearing WW2 fatigues and web gear and an M1 Carbine or period Thompson and a 1911.

Do not understimate the old school stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'll be impressed when he finaly ante's-up and buys one of them new-fangled wireless pistols.

That was good. Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I shot at the same match.  I ran two rifles (a 20" and a 16") and used somewhere around 300 rounds.  There are usually 6-8 targets a stage, with 2-3 rounds each.

DoctorNo is wearing a SOTech Callahan rig.  His boots are also Wellco Jungle Tuffkushions, which are pretty comfy boots (I have the desert version myself).  

I wear a rig similar, with all my rounds, water, etc. on or in it.  As a result, I'm ready for a stage without having to grab stuff out of a bag or carry other stuff.

For those of you who haven't shot at Texas Tactical's matches in the San Antonio/Austin area, you're really missing out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
i was there too,   i ran in his group.  the doc had some really neat stuff and knew how to use it.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Hah! Thanks for all the compliments. I am merely a guy who loves to shoot.

Great pictures 48th - if you have any more (or hi-res ones) send them my way - I'll PM you with more details. I am jealous of all your HK toys, as soon as you get the go-fast lever on your trigger pack you will be extra premo studly .. :)

AZK9 - There was a fella who posted on Sturmgewehr a while back selling the M16 pictogram stickers. I thought they were pretty sweet, a lot of folks on here poo-pooed my passing it on. :) I can dig up his contact info if anyone is interested. PM me.

So with the +10, I'm at about -9, right? Does the "SUSPECT" shirt count for anything as well? I really need to get the picture of me running from my buddy wearing the same "SHERIFF" shirt..

Drav - I really like my optics far out. That way I don't have to have a consistant cheek weld in order to find my reticle. This comes more into play when you start shooting on your weak side, or wearing goggles, armor, helmets, etc.

Posterchild - LOL! If you only knew how appropriate that was...

lockedandloaded - Unfortunately for me, I am not a real operator. I just know comfortable boots when I wear them. They are indeed Wellco toughcushions. I've been running them for about a year now, through everything including indoor work and mountain climbing. The soles feel like a tennis shoe, and they fit like a glove. I can't say enough good things about them. On top of that, in the Texas heat, having your feet breathe is fantastic.

Not to mention, oakleys or other 'urban' boots wouldn't have survived a minute with the mud that was out there that day. Gotta be sturdy when you're working with around 80+lbs of extra gear.

THellURider - Here's a complete rundown of what I've got :

SOTech Callahan
From Left to right :
TT single M4 pouch, set up for weak side reload
TT knife pouch, Surefire 6Z
Eggroll Custom open topped 3 M4/3 pistol mag pouch, patterned after Paraclete.
TT kydex lined dual pistol mag pouch
Paraclete medium GP, this has since been replaced with a modular EOD pouch & Reece Gear expanding dump. Provides for much better organization & ability to carry a lot more expended gear or other over-sized things on the move.
On the bib :
Eggroll's FUGLY. I love this admin pouch. It's handy to get to and doesn't get in the way of anything. I usually have all my snacks in there, as well as compass, extra 550, sweat rag, maps, etc. Great piece of kit.
Tactical Command Industries SAS commo rig.

On the back I'm using the paraclete hydration pouch (which I'm probably going to ditch soon, because it's a little too small), and a double M4 pouch to run my Yaesu VX5. I am toying with the idea of adding a Kifaru E&E to it, but it would be difficult to get to, and probably wouldn't be useful if I had to ditch my second line in a hurry. Not to mention it might be a PITA getting in and out of vehicles.

First line :

HSGI drop-leg HK USP 45 holster w/two more pistol mags & Strider SNG.
HSGI dump pouch w/survival kit in rear pouch, 3 pistol mags on front, Kabar.
GI pistol belt with lots of zip tie work done. :)

For those who are curious about the rifle :

RDIAS converted Bushmaster M16
- LMT 10.5" upper
- DD FF rail
- LMT BUIS
 --- All of the above thanks to Wes @ MSTN!
- GG&G PVS14 NVD mount (this is the 'foot' you're seeing. It's easier to distinguish from the other side..)
- MGI RR buffer. I really am liking this buffer, but it won't run with the Natec ammo. No biggie, I have room on my rig to bring along a H buffer too. :)
- Vltor carbine stock
- PRI Big Latch
- TD pistol grip
- Surefire M900
- IR OTAL
- Eotech 552
- The kitchen sink

SWO: The matches we shoot are typically around 100-200 rounds. I have begun running this rig in an effort to a) train myself with the weight, b) compliment my weight lifting program, c) not have to carry along a ditty bag, and d) I have a lot of fun doing it. You can see the SO standing behind me in a few of the pictures - that's what most folks do, as most stages don't require but one or two reloads, at max.

There have been several guys who have come out with M1 Garands and shot these matches. They kick ass! We have another shooter who has a full-auto Thompson... as soon as it comes back from refinishing, he's going to be out there banging it up too. It's all about having fun!

Zmeja: Was good seeing you again. We should get all the gear folks together at the next match and take a photo. Maybe Mike can blur our faces and use us as a marketing tool. Next thing you know, the matches would be 'made in vietnam'... <cheap shot>

daemon734: Great to see you out there! Our group was great, and I hope this encourages more of us 'over the top' types to make it out. :)

Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
What a poser. In the Army we use 100 mph tape for our needs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#27]
MGI RR Buffer!

I knew it!

It's awesome for control.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#28]
omega: I never pose for pictures, and I was never in the Army :) Plus 100mph doesn't stick to cardboard targets well....

twl: I'm liking the MGI. It really helps when I slap the 9mm kit on the M16, as well. Not having to switch out buffer springs is a big help - I can just carry different buffers if I want to play around with ammo. The price tag is a little high, but the features it offered made it worthwhile to me.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks muddy there.   If ya'll aren't careful you'll get all your spiffy tactical gear muddy
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice stuff, love the Callahan.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#31]
where did you get that callahan?  all ive ever seen is the hellcat which doesnt have the bib or rear molle panel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I assure you there was no posing going on.  He did not know I took the pictures until after the match.

I WAS in the Army, and I would never begrudge someone for coming out to a match like that and having fun.  Its nice to have the gear in the rear.  For a fella like Dr. No, he could likely give up his job and swear in as a Police officer, or join the military, but he like me does not want to give up a high dollar job for LCF and some fun.  Why would he?  He is too damn smart.  You can have both.  Its not like he dresses up like this and roams the streets with a Navy Seal shirt on claiming to be an OPERATOR like so many asswhipes do.  He makes no claims to be anything but a guy who likes guns and gear .  To boot he and I for that matter can pop off as many rounds, put the eotech where we want, and do what we want as free men without some ahole telling us what to do.  

You had better start dressing down the WWI and II, civil war re-enactors, or every guy with an M4 clone as posers too.  

No posers here, just having a blast!!!  Jealous?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
where did you get that callahan?  all ive ever seen is the hellcat which doesnt have the bib or rear molle panel.

Lightfighter sells them, last time I checked they are out of stock.

www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1136&HS=1

BTW, the 'bib' and rear panel are actually plate carriers with PALS webbing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#34]
HKocher: "I learned it by watching you ..."

daemon734: I ended up ordering direct from SOTech a few months ago. They originally quoted me a lead time of 3 months or so, but it ended up on my front doorstep in about 6 weeks. I like the ability to take the plates off and run it a lot lighter if need-be, and the way the straps secure around your body seem to hold everything in place securely.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What a poser. In the Army we use 100 mph tape for our needs.

first of all, the tape was there because he was not only competing, but nice enough to give instructions and time us as well.  the tape was to cover the holes on the target.

second, i lift weights and run almost daily, and i dont think i could have hacked it out in that sun with that kind of gear on.  Doctor no not only pulled it off, but made it look easy, and smoked most of our times in the process.  

posing is for the internet.  that was real life.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Doc, anything you'd change on your mag pouches if you could?  I'm looking to buy right, not twice  

You Class III guys make me jealous!  No CIII or SBR here
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Are they now allowing you to shoot select fire rifles in the matches since they moved.  I had shot in Johnson City a couple of times and I thought they had posted no more select fire at that time.  I wouldn't mind running my AC556 through its paces the next time around.  I have shot with my AR15 there in the past.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think it would be cool to shoot at one of these wearing WW2 fatigues and web gear and an M1 Carbine or period Thompson and a 1911.

Do not understimate the old school stuff.

That does sound cool, actually. I could not be less interested in "Cowboy Shooting" but "WWII Shooting" sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#39]
tagged
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#40]
DOC!!!!

Three thumbs up for the Stetson and the subdued Texas flag patch!

Dont mess with Texas.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
http://img68.exs.cx/img68/7260/Dr_No_barricade.jpg

How long does it take you to move from this position?  Did you need help getting up?  Looks painful.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Called the Rice Paddy Prone position back in the 'Nam days.
Now its known as the Camel Dung Squat position
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Quoted:

posing is for the internet.  that was real life.  

Or was it an IDPA match..... I get the two confused..... must be the vauge rules about cover and silly rules relating to how and where reloads must be accomplished - but I digress.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Where does one get a "SUSPECT" shirt?
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Very cool setup there.

I'd also like to know where to get a "Suspect" shirt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Resq47: I'm liking what I've got so far. I've already moved a few things around and settled on this rig. The only thing I've yet to do is work in confined areas with it - I view this setup as more of a direct-action, door kicking type of rig. The open-topped pouches and thick middle don't make themselves condusive to foresty activities. I really modeled this setup after several EP contractors, so that will give you an idea. Once I take the pro-tac class in October, I will have a much better idea how this baby will run in tight areas. I'll probably post a review of my gear in that class review as well.

No need to be jealous, you're more than welcome to come live in Texas. Lots of room for folks who are handy with a weapon

TACO: Yep. The range owner of Hill Country Sportsman's Park, Sam, is a fantastic guy. It's so refreshing to have someone who is excited to have us out there, and has spent a *ton* of money re-working the bays so that it will be safer and more useful for us to use. He loves the class 3 stuff, and has come to talk to me about it several times. Plus, at 25$/yr for a membership, he's running the cheapest game in town! You can go out there 7 days a week and use all of the IDPA gear Mike has... I can't say enough good things about it. From my house it's about the same distance as Crazy Richard's was, and now you don't have to give money to that crazy kook. There's a link to the new range here. Bring out your AC! I have another buddy who is going to bring his when he makes it out as well. The more rock and rollers the better.  

FiveO: The coolest one I remember is the guy who brought out his M1 Garand. He was also wearing appropriate time-frame web gear and helmet. He began the stage by 'ping'ing one of the garand clips off his helmet, and then going to work. :) That was awesome!

davesbedroom: It's not hard to get up from the California kneeling position. If you rock your weight back from this position you move into a rice patty prone, and from there you can go to standing or whatever. I like this position because when you have adequate cover, it's very stable. In that stage I was pie'ing off the corner and taking shots out to about 25y, so this allowed me to flip the selector forward and still maintain tight groups, as well as keeping entirely behind cover. I wasn't going to have to move from there, so it wasn't important for me to be instantly mobile.

A buddy of mine made up the suspect shirts a long while back. He's since fallen off the face of the planet, so I'm not sure I can get ahold of anymore. There's not much to it if you want to make your own. Find the same font as the 'SHERIFF" shirts. Everyone gets a kick out of the, especially people who are usually suspects.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Or was it an IDPA match..... I get the two confused..... must be the vauge rules about cover and silly rules relating to how and where reloads must be accomplished - but I digress.

IDPA is certainly not a two-way range. Let there be no mistake about it.

Vague rules about cover? How is having more than 80% of your body behind cover vague?

"Silly rules" about reloading? What part of 'reloading behind cover' and 'not leaving ammo on the ground' is sillly? These 'rules' may not apply 100% of the time, but I'd venture to say that they are pretty good standards to go by.

Whatever gripes you may have with certain rules, there's no better way to practice shooting on the move, engaging multiple targets, using cover, and shooting in odd positions than IDPA. If you really disagree that strongly with their rules, do it YOUR way and take the penalty. If you're shooting to practice saving your own ass, you shouldn't care what your score is. Either way, if you don't practice anything, you're just another boob with a shiny chunk of metal!

Doc
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Doc - I ain't here to hi-jack your thread - so I will leave it at this

- when I do shoot IDPA matches - I take lots of penalties
- I have discussed the short commings of the IDPA rule book extensively with ROs in 3 states and on several forums - in the end, all parties agree that my b*tches about rules have merit, yet the rules are the rules and those rules are in place to serve the function of the game even though in many respects they have absolutely nothing to do with defensive style shooting.

BTW - 80%+ cover (and what is often termed cover is merely concealment) is your own club's local rule. Per pg 33 of the IDPA rule book, section 19, "More than 50%....."

Anyway, I am not here to rehash lame rules.

good luck
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#49]

A buddy of mine made up the suspect shirts a long while back. He's since fallen off the face of the planet, so I'm not sure I can get ahold of anymore. There's not much to it if you want to make your own. Find the same font as the 'SHERIFF" shirts. Everyone gets a kick out of the, especially people who are usually suspects.

Just once, I would like my day to be easy. However, I bet I can make a buck or two on "SUSPECT" raid shirts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Drav - I really like my optics far out. That way I don't have to have a consistant cheek weld in order to find my reticle. This comes more into play when you start shooting on your weak side, or wearing goggles, armor, helmets, etc.

Thanks, Doc, I'll have to give that a try. I have it mounted as far forward as it'll fit on my flattop, but I'll need the knight rails/foregrip to get it as far up as you have it. And, since I just got it, I haven't even shot with my eo-tech yet but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top