Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2004 3:44:49 PM EDT
Hey,
I'm thinking of purchasing and replacing the factory gas rings with a one-piece gas ring, like an E-Ring.

I was wondering if the factory gas rings are hard to remove, and if the one piece gas ring if easy to install?

Thanks,
kc
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey,
I'm thinking of purchasing and replacing the factory gas rings with a one-piece gas ring, like an E-Ring.

I was wondering if the factory gas rings are hard to remove, and if the one piece gas ring if easy to install?

Thanks,
kc

No, and Yes.

Simple procedure for both.  I love the one piece ring I have.  I've fired over 1K since using it with zero malfunctions.   I dont know if there's a bit of difference but it sure seems like a good idea....
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I had a bud shoot a 7.5" M16 with the McFarland rings.  He said that the first time around on them he smoked them.  The lost the seal and you could stand the BC on end and the bolt would literally drop with its own weight.  He couldn't speculate on the 16"bbl.  Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a McFarland in my SPR, it was short stroking for a little while, but it has since stopped.  I have heard that they take some time to break in and they need to be lubed pretty well when new.  TIFWIW.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FWIW, I had a bud shoot a 7.5" M16 with the McFarland rings.  He said that the first time around on them he smoked them.  The lost the seal and you could stand the BC on end and the bolt would literally drop with its own weight.  He couldn't speculate on the 16"bbl.  Just some food for thought.

The McFarland ring in my AR10 did the exact same thing, after a couple days of all out blasting at Bulletfest. Once it loosened up, the rifle began shortstroking (my theory) and having associated failure to ejects. I replaced the ring with a new one Armalite sent me, and it tightened the bolt/carrier back up.

I've found some rifles are too tight with a McFarland ring until the ring wears in, after which they seem fine. My rifle was fine until the ring wore in (out?). Personally, I think the McFarland ring is an inferior design vs the standard three split ring setup since the split rings can expand as things wear, and keep a more constant tension against the inside of the carrier, thereby improving long term seal. After my ring wore out, there was a crap load of gas residue on the back of the bolt, where it had blown by the ring.

I really do wish Armalite would make conventional rings available to us AR 10 owners. That is my only complaint about my AR10 so far.   PLEASE?????

Still haven't been able to test the rifle again since I replaced the ring, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, havent heard any complaints before...maybe I should buy some spare gas rings...??
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How many people have problems with the 3 regular rings? Not many.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

7.5 will melt just about anything.  My SBR gets VERY hot.  After a mag or so of semi shooting, I can't hold the free floating handguard.  I can't imagine doing a mag dump with an M16.  I don't know that it is a fair comparison but I am suprised to hear so many complaints.  I guess I'm out of the loop.  I have had no problems with my McFarland rings that go with my 14.5 inch Colt upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had NO problems with McFarland rings in my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
As long as you're putting in new rings you may want to get a valve job too while you're at it. LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As long as you're putting in new rings you may want to get a valve job too while you're at it. LOL

Funny thing is, it's the same sort of design (engine piston rings -> AR gas rings)...
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny thing is, it's the same sort of design (engine piston rings -> AR gas rings)...

That's kind of why I was making a joke out of it. The three little rings remind me so much of rings on a piston. Don't forget to stagger the gaps to prevent blow by on both the AR rings and your cars piston rings. LOL
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I use 'em.  No problems to report, and I run suppressed.  4x as dirty as an unsuppressed rifle..
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
     I shoot the one piece rings with no problems.  Never had a problem with the three rings either.  I hear the one piece rings repel lightning and I have not been struck since installing them, they must work!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top