Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2004 8:55:08 PM EDT
I'm looking into replacing the polyethelene foam that came with my Starlight case, but I'd prefer not to pay $70 for foam! Does anyone know of any sources for the closed cell foam similar to what Starlight sales?
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Heeyyyyy I'm in here!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Einrich
I just went down this road. I wasted money on "closed cell" foam. I suggest just getting it from starlight 60.00 plus shipping, and in one week you will have a complete set that is precut to  fit in case perfectly
BULLDAWG
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
It's foam! FOAM!!! I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on stuff I really don't need as far as my gun collection goes, but it's very hard to justify spending $70 on foam. I'm sorry, but I'm going to keep looking for an alternative before I order it from Starlight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was into ww kayaking, I knew of places you could buy sheets/blocks of gray minicell (closed cell) foam for outfitting the interior of kayaks.  The stuff is attractive and durable, but may be to difficult to carve for gun fitting (a coping saw with a narrow blade works great, but that only works in 2 dimensions).  It's a rather dense foam.

You might try www.nrsweb.com. Or do a search for "minicell foam" or "outfitting foam"

One idea would be to use a coping saw to carve out the desired shapes from one layer, then glue that over another, uncut layer.  The biggest problem would be that all the cutouts would be the same depth.

Of course, industrial supply companies like MSC will probably have a bewildering array of closed cell foam: www.mscdirect.com.  Come to think of it, I'd try them first before plunging into my wacky minicell idea.

I have no idea of any this will help, as I really don't know the general procedure for shaping foam or the specific type of foam needed for gun cases.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Every source I've found on Google for closed cell foam doesn't offer anything thicker than an inch or so. I thought Starlight just marked their foam up by a ridiculous amount but it appears that closed cell foam is pretty expensive, regardless of where you buy it from
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I wouldn't give up yet!  Here's some of that minicell, it's 3" thick and $8.50 per foot (only 12" wide, though): minicell

If you've ever used on of those cartop canoe-carrier kits with the foam blocks that fit over the gunwhales, that's minicell (or "Minicel" brand name?).

After further consideration, the amount of work it would take to shape this stuff to fit would probably not be worth the cost savings.  Get the Starlight stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]
try going to a fabric store.  My mother used to restore couches and chairs.  She got all of her foam from the fabric or craft store.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/useatoolboxasam4case.msnw  There is a listing of online foam suppliers

John
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on stuff I really don't need as far as my gun collection goes

Nothing personal, and I fully understand your heartache but doesn't that statement alone make it worth $70 more bucks to protect it??
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with Troy. I searched high and low, but returned to Starlight in the end.
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I got mine from www.foamorder.com/packing.html delivered to my house for $32.00.  I got the CD100 Packing Foam and it was better then the original starlight foam. One more note, THEY cut it to the size YOU want it. Just fill in the proper measurements when you order, a no brainer if you don't want to spend the extra money at starlight.
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I got mine from www.foamorder.com/packing.html delivered to my house for $32.00.  I got the CD100 Packing Foam and it was better then the original starlight foam. One more note, THEY cut it to the size YOU want it. Just fill in the proper measurements when you order, a no brainer if you don't want to spend the extra money at starlight.

Is that the hard, closed cell foam? The kind that is water and solvent resistant?
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Check these prices...www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Phessor,

That's open-cell foam, which is always much cheaper than closed-cell foam.  It will also absorb moisture and will pull the oil off of your rifle wherever it contacts the foam.  It is a bad idea to use open-cell foam for gun cases.

-Troy

Phessors link also has closed cell  Polyethylene Foam in 40"x80" sheets

1.5"(3.8 cm) thick $135.00/sheet

Looks like Starlights price isn't all that insane though eh?
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Phessor,

That's open-cell foam, which is always much cheaper than closed-cell foam.  It will also absorb moisture and will pull the oil off of your rifle wherever it contacts the foam.  It is a bad idea to use open-cell foam for gun cases.

-Troy

Yeah that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to about ten posts up . I'm going to order the Starlight closed cell foam Monday. Hey, at least I'll be able to tell people I own "high-speed" foam, right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Phessor,

-Troy

Yeah that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to about ten posts up . I'm going to order the Starlight closed cell foam Monday. Hey, at least I'll be able to tell people I own "high-speed" foam, right?

I think I'm going to order a couple of sheets of the CD100 open cell foam and try it out for carrying guns back and forth to the range, but not for storage. It's about $10 for a precut pipece and $7.50 for shipping to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top