Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2004 3:54:36 PM EDT
I had the pleasure of taking my new BAR-10 16" A3 Carbine to the range today and thought you all might be interested in a few of the details.

Rifle: Bushmaster BAR-10 16" A3 Carbine w/ Izzy muzzlebrake
Scope: Trijicon 1.5x24 Compact ACOG w/ amber triangle
Ammo: 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match and Australian surplus F4 Ball
Temp: 90 DEGF
Alt: 2850 feet ASL
Humidity: What's that?

Let's start with general comments on the weapon:

-As it comes out of the box without scope or mag it weighs 8lbs 11oz.
-The gun ships with one 20-round metric FAL mag which looks brand new (maybe refinished?)
-After mounting the compact ACOG and installing a one-point sling and with a fully loaded magazine, the gun weighs 11lbs 7oz ready to fight
-Fit and finish of everything on the weapon are excellent
-The Izzy muzzlebrake looks pre-ban - more on this brake later
-Ambi mag catch is very well executed.  The FAL mags go straight into the mag well - no "rock and lock" like on a FAL rifle.
-Ambi bolt catch/release is also very well executed.  To lock the bolt to the rear, simply extend your trigger finger to press up on the catch and run the charging handle to the rear with your support hand.
-Charging handle has a mechanical detent which egages the top of the upper receiver - there is no "latch" on the charging handle so it is truly ambidextrous and easy to use.  Why didn't somebody think of this sooner?
-Skeletonized stock is unexpectedly comfortable.  Out of the box it comes with a sling swivel mounted in the "standard" position at the toe of the butt plate.  I moved this to the left side just behind the receiver to accept a one-point sling.  As all holes and screws are included, this was easily done.

Before I fire any new weapon, I disassemble, clean and lube it.  Notes on observations during disassembly:

-Areas around push pins on lower receiver have been beefed up compared to a .223 caliber lower
-An AR-10 upper will definitely NOT fit this lower, or vice versa
-Bolt carrier rails have "sand cuts" in them.  I assume these are so the bearing surfaces will be a little more "self-cleaning" to enhance long term reliability
-Gas Key bolts are double staked
-The cotter pin retaining the firing pin can easilky be removed with your fingers because it is located in a generous cutout area
-The firing pin is l-o-n-g and does not have a travel limiting spring like the AR-10.  It is a low mass firing pin like the .223 caliber.
-Cam pin is easily popped out and looks just like an AR-10 part, but I did not compare dimensions
-Bolt uses three gas rings, unlike the McFarland gas ring on the AR-10
-The ejector looks similar to prior designs, but I did not remove it for closer examination
-The extractor is a whole new design.  Unlike any other AR-15/AR-10 type extractor I have observed which has a spring pushing out at 90 degrees to the direction of bolt travel, this extractor has a spring loaded pin pushing on the back of the extractor, towards the front of the bolt.  The design is something like a Glock extractor (I know this is a stretch and not entirely accurate, but you get the idea).  Extractor pressure is stout!
-Bolt carrier is open on the top of the rearward half.  This makes for easy cleaning and makes the carrier lighter
-Lower receiver was not disassembled, but the FCG, selector, and grip all looked like standard AR-15-type parts
-Handguards are mid-length and have zero wobble
-Gas block is held on with three set screws and has rails at the 3, 12 and 9 o'clock positions
-Izzy muzzlebrake has ports "timed" to 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock positions and is pinned in place on a threaded barrel
-There is a "mystery" screw at the back of the rail on top of the upper receiver.  When removed, it is just a large diameter threaded hole.  Perhaps for a proprietary rear sight?

OK.  It's lubed up with BreakFree CLP and all put back together.  No leftover parts, so it's time to go to the range.

Using the mag which came with the gun:

-Insert empty mag, pull back charging handle - bolt locked back on an empty mag
-Push mag release on right of gun and mag dropped free.  Re-insert and repeat with mag release on left of gun and mag again dropped free.
-Load mag with one cartridge (Aussie F4), insert into weapon and press bolt catch.  Round was stripped from mag and fully chambered.
-Put selector on "SAFE" and pull trigger - no bang
-Put selector on "FIRE" and pull trigger - bang and bolt locked back on empty mag
-Load mag with 20 rounds (Aussie F4), insert into weapon and press bolt catch.  Round was stripped from mag and successfully chambered.
-Roughly zero weapon with 10-12 rounds while moving back to 50 yards
-Fire rest of the mag at steel plates from 50 yards until mag was empty.  Bolt locked back when mag was empty and there were no malfunctions of any kind
-Switch to 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match and zero the weapon for POA/POI at 50 yards.  Three 5-round groups all were about 0.5" and there were no malfunctions of any kind
-Move back to 200 yards and zero weapon with the Federal GMM.  Groups were all about 3", but this had to be me, not the gun.  It is very hard to maintain a precise point of aim at 200 yards with a 1.5x scope!  No malfunctons of any kind
-Shot Aussie F4 at 200 to compare POI.  Aussie hits about 5" higher than the GMM, but no windage difference noted.
-I had 5 other metric FAL mags with me, so I loaded them up with Aussie F4 and shot various exercises at differing ranges and at various rates of fire from slow to rapid.  There were no malfunctions of any kind!

Overall observations:

-Man, I like this gun!
-The Izzy muzzlebrake was very impressive.  Noise from the shooter's position was less than both my AR-10's (one with the ArmaLite recoil check and one without).  Muzzle flip was also noticeably reduced
-Overall recoil was very mild.
-When shooting from prone, there was little or no dust signature
-Ejection was very consistent
-Chambered rounds were lightly dimpled, just like all other AR-15/AR-10 rifles I have had
-Did I mention I really like this gun?

So, after 120 rounds or so of two different kinds of ammo out of six different magazines with no malfunctions - yes, I am very well pleased.

Thank you, Bushmaster, for an obviously quality product, innovative design features, and out-of-the-box reliability.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Edited to correct scope description

Edited to add following pics and comments:

On the range with the mags that have been qualified for use so far:

One mag was difficult to remove although it functioned perfectly.  It dropped free, but it was difficult to get the mag release to release.  This one mag has been segregated until I determine the cause.

Right side of gun showing ambi mag release and ambi bolt catch/release:

Close-up of Bushmaster's "Izzy" muzzlebrake and where it was pinned on to a threaded barrel:

This muzzlebrake controls recoil extremely well.

Stock butt plate:

I removed the soft rubber pad that came on the stock - it tended to grab at my clothing and gear.  The recoil is mild enough so you don't need the rubber pad.

Accuracy with Australian surplus ammo and a Trijicon TA01B scope:

And with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo:

Link Posted: 6/18/2004 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
SWEET!!!!

S
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir for the detailed review!

So I'm guessing 2x Compact ACOG's 2.1" eye relief didn't leave you with a scope marks on your eye?
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you sir for the detailed review!

So I'm guessing 2x Compact ACOG's 2.1" eye relief didn't leave you with a scope marks on your eye?

Oooops!

In my excitement to get the review posted, I made a mistake about the scope.

The scope I had mounted was the TA24-2 1.5x24 with 3.6" of eye relief.

Sorry about that.  Will correct review.
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude

I have been so waiting for a post like this. I USED to have an AR10 untill the problems broke the love affair. I can't wait to see a BAR-10 with an inch 30 round mag!!! Now that is a "bang bang, shoot shoot.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice post.  Compared to the AR10 which is the better deal?

Max
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Max

Eagle Arms AR10 $999

Bushmaster .308 $1400+

Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
What's your overall impression of it compared to an AR10?
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
To me a "better deal" is a rifle that works as well as my AR-15's do, period. I don't want to butcher any more mags from another rifle system to try to get them to work etc etc etc.

If it works everytime I pull the trigger without any excuses, and the mags don't cost a bundle and work, then that's a "bargin."

Bill
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

Eagle Arms AR10 $999

Bushmaster .308 $1400+

Shivan answered that question very clearly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To me a "better deal" is a rifle that works as well as my AR-15's do, period. I don't want to butcher any more mags from another rifle system to try to get them to work etc etc etc.

If it works everytime I pull the trigger without any excuses, and the mags don't cost a bundle and work, then that's a "bargin."

Bill

Interesting Comparison

Funny you should mention AR-15 vis a vis the AR-10's function, fit and finish.....

Pretty concise assessment, from a pretty knowledgable shooter.

Link Posted: 6/18/2004 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Could you be a little more specific/ detailed in your next review?  

Just kidding!!!

Awesome review!

John
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Gaijn:

Absolutely outstanding review!

Thanks for taking the time to tune up your bros.

Question: Isn't that amber reticle a little hinky in the bright NV sunlight? I've never cared for them here in the Phoenix area.

Best regards,

SD
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Max

Between spare parts, freight back to ArmaLite, troubleshooting time, gunsmithing time and over $1,500 spent on magazines, followers and springs ...

So far, the BAR-10 with readily available $10 mags appears to be a good bargain for the price.

Further evaluation will include shooting for groups with match ammo to see if the accuracy is as good as initially indicated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What's your overall impression of it compared to an AR10?

Compared to my 16" AR-10A4 Carbine:

-BAR-10 is lighter
-BAR-10 muzzlebreak is much more friendly and more effective
-FAL mags are ceaper and more reliable than 20-round AR-10 mags
-So far, the BAR-10 is 100% reliable - something I could never say about the AR-10A4

Further use and testing will decide, of course, but so far I like the BAR-10 better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2004 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gaijn:

Question: Isn't that amber reticle a little hinky in the bright NV sunlight? I've never cared for them here in the Phoenix area.

Best regards,

SD

Thanks for the good words!  Sometimes the "negative waves" make me reluctant to share the knowledge.

Answer: Yes, the amber reticle is not the best.  I would greatly prefer the red, but we all learn, right?  It works pretty well most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
BTT for added pics and comments
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the pic!

Do you shoot .308 with TA01B? IIRC its eye relief is only 1.5"?

Link Posted: 6/25/2004 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pic!

Do you shoot .308 with TA01B? IIRC its eye relief is only 1.5"?

Sure.  With a standard nose to charging handle cheek weld it's no problem.

Recoil of this gun is mild.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
very cool
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Great review, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Great review, thanks.

My pleasure, sir!
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the review!  Keep us advised on the performance on this gun.  Do you mind giving us the ticket on your gun?  I'm certain these will come down as they become available.  

Did the gun feel "tight" or anything when you first broke it out?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gaijn:

Best regards,

SD

Thanks for the good words!  Sometimes the "negative waves" make me reluctant to share the knowledge.

Answer: Yes, the amber reticle is not the best.  I would greatly prefer the red, but we all learn, right?  It works pretty well most of the time.

Ditto SailorDude.

"negative waves"...?  Whatever are you referring to?

Mirage in your scope?
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks for the review!  Keep us advised on the performance on this gun.  Do you mind giving us the ticket on your gun?  I'm certain these will come down as they become available.  

Did the gun feel "tight" or anything when you first broke it out?

Thanks again.

I paid $1,495 through Davidson's - this includes their lifetime guarantee.

The gun felt "gritty" at first - e.g. when operating the charging handle, the bolt carrier group felt and sounded like a dry gun even though it was well lubed.  This is smoothing out with use.

Function from the first round has been flawless.  I am a bit surprised at this, but well pleased.  Even when I fully load a 20-round mag, it never fails to feed and chamber the top round from bolt lock.

HTH
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gaijn:

Best regards,

SD

Ditto SailorDude.

"negative waves"...?  Whatever are you referring to?

Mirage in your scope?

Yeah, mirage in my scope - that's the ticket!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top