Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2004 4:26:18 AM EDT
Does any one have any experience with the MGI QCB Upper Receiver.... looks like a great idea....especially since it uses unmodified barrels..........http://www.ccfa.com/qcb.htm
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have experience with it, but I am the National Sales Manager for MGI, and under 100 lucky  others actually have these right now. It is a brand new product to the market. Only out for a few weeks so far. The first production run sold out, and the 2nd run is now available.

The QCB does "really work" and uses standard barrels for AR15. There is no barrel nut, delta ring, or handguard ring needed, so these need to be removed from your barrels that will be used with this system. The system has its own free-float tube, so no handguard rings or delta rings are needed. No barrel nut is needed, because the MGI QCB system uses a locking block with rotating cams to hold the barrels in place securely. The front sight base and gas tube stay together with the barrel when you switch.

You can switch barrels in under 1 minute with no tools needed, and I have done it in as little as 30 seconds. It works great, and shoots great.

The system is strongly built  and quick to use.  Accuracy is as good as your barrel/ammo will support. Fully guaranteed.

It comes with a flattop upper, and a ventilated aluminum free float tube, and the QCB locking block/cam system. No barrels are included with the package.

Please email me with any particular questions you might have, or with orders.
I work for the MGI factory, so you can order directly from the source of this system if you wish.
[email protected]
Thanks for your interest.
Link Posted: 6/13/2004 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have one....?????????
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT....... anyone else??????????
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]

I have one, but I also sell them. Here
Here are a couple of pics I shot over the weekend.
I have the upper on a Bushmaster M16 with 11.5" barrel.  I shot 500 rds through it Saturday.
The QCB performs just as advertised, even after back to back Beta mags. Just swing the levers and remove the barrel.
Better wear gloves though, the barrel gets HOT.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Kewl!

Does anyone have the results of a SCAR-L testing, or is it still ongoing?
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just received mine last weekend.  Went together fine.  Put 200 rounds through it over the weekend, was very accurate with my Fulton Armory M4gery bbl.  Removed and replaced barrel between groups twice during one shooting session, the groups printed over each other at 100 yards with a red dot sight.  In fact, removing and replacing the red dot sight changed POI about 1 moa, removing and replacing the the barrel had no discernable change.  Best 5 shot groups were about 1.5 inches at 100 yards with SS109 and the red dot.

Color match of the new upper to my DPMS lower was very good after I gave the upper a bath in Break Free, the upper was a little on the light side before that.

This QCB unit has a carbon fiber HG and is very light.  All parts I installed fit perfectly including an ARMS Swan Sleeve.  The only thing I am not 100% happy with is the paint job on the HG.  There are a couple of screws that hold the levers in and they must not have prepped them too good because the paint is off of them after the thorough cleaning I gave it after 200 rounds.  I am being a little picky here but the screws are bright.  I will just cold blue them.

All in all I am totally satisfied so far, after 2 range outings.  I will be curious to find out if and how much the cam system wears over time.  

cap
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
twl and hg112,

I appreciate you guys mentioning up front that you are involved with the system from a production/sales standpoint.  You have both had to weather a lot of skepticism but have been very professional about it and your answers have been most informative.  

Being that you both have some experience with the system I had a question or two:

1. Has there been any long term testing of wear from repetitive cycling of the cam system and any testing on its effects on barrel mounting rigidity/ultimate accuracy?  Although I would not expect 10,000 cycles of the cams in real life, I sill was curious if any testing has been done.  I am sure the design of the actual system would have a lot to do with wear, and not having one in hand I can only ask the question.

2.  Not that I would expect this to happen, but in the event of cam wear/failure, is there a replacement kit for these parts?  Or is this covered under warranty? Or both?

3.  I heard through the grapevine that MGI is producing/going to be producing a sleeve that covers the additional exposed gas tube between the free float tube and the front site on a 20" barrel.  Any confimation of that?

4. (optional)  Any plans by MGI  to make spare barrel cases/tubes?  Seriously, something insulated would be great for those who are using this as an MG barrel change system for when they get HOT and need a place to store and carry it.  

Dawg

[edited]  BTW hg122, what are you shooting at?  Did you see the Predator out in those woods, LOL!

Link Posted: 6/30/2004 3:27:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Dawg180, the cams and locking block are made from ordnance grade steel. The cams are quite robust diameter, and have lubrication points. While wear can occur on any moving part, the expected lifetime of these parts is beyond the number that most users will ever attempt. The test units were operated under testing for over 2 years, with many more barrel changes than would typically ever be attempted by a user. I don't have an exact number of times they were opened and closed. Remember, this system is designed by the man who designed the quick-change barrel system for the M2 50 cal Machine gun used by the military, so this is not his first QCB system.

Replacement parts can be obtained through us, if that ever becomes necessary.

I will have to talk with Mack about an "extension tube" for longer barrels with exposed gas system. I have not heard anything about that from him yet, so I don't want to comment on that until I talk with him today.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Dawg180, I just got off the phone with Mack, and he says that there is an extension tube for adding to the forend tube, that will soon be available on request, when purchasing the QCB system.
Not sure about how soon delivery of these will be available.
There is currently a 2-4 week delay on delivery of QCB systems.
Orders are still being taken for the next delivery date.

Regarding spare barrel tubes, we don't have any, but you might consider using PVC tubing with end caps for holding the spare barrels. You could even put a sling on them, and carry them over the shoulder. Paint them camo, and they'll look "tactical".
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
twl,

Thanks, that more than answered all my questions.  I totally forgot that he deisnged the M2HB QCB system, so that pretty much allays my fears!

Great idea about the tactical PVC!
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

I met up with a fellow AR15.com member at the range this weekend and he brought his MGI QCB upper. (Please note I have not posted his screen name- he can identify himself if he wants.) That is one nifty piece of hardware!  After looking at it (read: playing around with it) I had a thoughts and a few more questions for TWL, so here goes:

Dawgs Random thoughts:

Setting up a barrel for this upper involves removing the barrel nut and the forward handguard ring.  The guy who owned it recommended placing a washer in to space the front sight base forward enough, as if the FSB is flushed back on the barrel it rubs against the handguard (as the front handguard ring is no longer there to space it).

The cam sysm is STURDY.  Barrel runs straight through with little play even when cams are unlocked and the bolt locks into the barrel extension of the inserted barrel.  very little play, and the barrel is ROCK SOLID when the cams are locked down.  

The gas tube opening in the upper is a flared slightly to help insertion and there is a cooling hole drilled right in front and above of it on the hanguard which makes it very easy to see.

Barrel cleaning is considerably easier- just remove the barrel and no more acrobatics to clean the locking lugs!

The FF tube and rails look to be carbon fiber, and rails may have a coating.  Looks very easy for factory installation of longer rails or a top rail (although this would block some vent holes)

One downside- I hold the HG pretty close to the magwell and found the cam levers a bit in the way for my hold method.  nothing bad, just not quite as comfortable.  With an extended bottom rail and vert. grip this would not be an issue IMHO.

From what I saw, pretty much any caliber that works in a standard AR upper could be used in this with the proper barrel and bolt, i.e. 9mm, 45ACP, .22lr, etc. (TWL, please confirm this).  I have a crazy idea, but I will wait until I can get the $$$ together to test it out/show it off.

Lastly, someone pointed out that expandible plastic drafting rool tubes work great for barrel tubes.  Leave it to someone to tell the architect this!

Link Posted: 7/12/2004 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Update:

I met up with a fellow AR15.com member at the range this weekend and he brought his MGI QCB upper. (Please note I have not posted his screen name- he can identify himself if he wants.) That is one nifty piece of hardware!  After looking at it (read: playing around with it) I had a thoughts and a few more questions for TWL, so here goes:

Dawgs Random thoughts:

Setting up a barrel for this upper involves removing the barrel nut and the forward handguard ring.  The guy who owned it recommended placing a washer in to space the front sight base forward enough, as if the FSB is flushed back on the barrel it rubs against the handguard (as the front handguard ring is no longer there to space it).

The cam sysm is STURDY.  Barrel runs straight through with little play even when cams are unlocked and the bolt locks into the barrel extension of the inserted barrel.  very little play, and the barrel is ROCK SOLID when the cams are locked down.  

The gas tube opening in the upper is a flared slightly to help insertion and there is a cooling hole drilled right in front and above of it on the hanguard which makes it very easy to see.

Barrel cleaning is considerably easier- just remove the barrel and no more acrobatics to clean the locking lugs!

The FF tube and rails look to be carbon fiber, and rails may have a coating.  Looks very easy for factory installation of longer rails or a top rail (although this would block some vent holes)

One downside- I hold the HG pretty close to the magwell and found the cam levers a bit in the way for my hold method.  nothing bad, just not quite as comfortable.  With an extended bottom rail and vert. grip this would not be an issue IMHO.

From what I saw, pretty much any caliber that works in a standard AR upper could be used in this with the proper barrel and bolt, i.e. 9mm, 45ACP, .22lr, etc. (TWL, please confirm this).  I have a crazy idea, but I will wait until I can get the $$$ together to test it out/show it off.

Lastly, someone pointed out that expandible plastic drafting rool tubes work great for barrel tubes.  Leave it to someone to tell the architect this!

I noticed this thread when it started, but my question is, how  would it work with a 20" barrel?  I think this is a cool idea, by the way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, maybe someone 'in the know' can answer better but currently you would have some exposed barrel and gas tube between the FF handguard and the front site base.  MGI is supposedly coming out with some sort of tueb extension to cover this and protect the gas tube.

I have been thinking about this a bit and one solution might be to use a pipe clamp or something like a Tac2000 flashlight clamp to mount a metal tube around the gas tube- it would look a bit like a operating rod tube I guess.  To be honest i don't think it would work dimensionally but I think the idea is sound.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top