Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 6:43:59 AM EDT
Anyone know how much the standard car length handguards weigh? I am planning t replace the CAR handguards from a Model 1 kit I will buy this sumer with some Yankee Hill free floats, which are 9.5 oz.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah... i wonder the same thing.... how much does the standard m4 handguards weight?  as compared to the regular carbine handguards?

anyone got any insight?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
reallistically, I'm just trying to see if the free float forearms would make a significant weight difference. I am planning to put an ultra light stock on at a later date, and I don't want to have the rifle too top-heavy.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to see what the free float systems weight go to the Rifles/Uppers/Lowers section.  There is a tacked up post on the differeent FF systems and what they weight. (Nice chart by ADCO).

The standard CAR handguards weight 8.0oz IF you add in the barrel nut, delta ring & spring.  This is neccissary because many of the FF systems use their own barrel nut.  So to compare apples to apples you have to add that weight to the CAR handguards.

Over at MD-AR15.com (Tech Data section) we have the weights listed of the CAR/FOBUS/M4 handguards (check some weights are listed for single pieces, some for a pair).  Add 2.5oz for the barrel nut & such for comparison with the ADCO chart.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, ok so it would only be a weight gain of two ounces. Not bad at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top