Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 11:57:50 AM EDT
My new baby.

Affectionatly named MJOLNIR, "that smashes." Thor's hammer.

I've been too busy to write up a description, so I thought I'd just share the pic and see if you can recognize everything I put into this.

Enjoy!

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's an AR that fires one of those funny calibers you cant buy off the shelf anywhere...

With other useful goodies like an Vltor stock, Aimpoint, Dieter grip, etc.

Cool.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
more: CLICK THE PICS FOR FULL SIZE \/

[url=picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480694][img]picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480694&size=128[/img][/url]

[url=picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480695][img]picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480695&size=128[/img][/url]

[url=picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480698][img]picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=480698&size=128[/img][/url]

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's an AR that fires one of those funny calibers you cant buy off the shelf anywhere...
View Quote

Close, but it is available loaded "off the shelf."

With other useful goodies like an Vltor stock, Aimpoint, Dieter grip, etc.
View Quote

Mmmmmn, yes, but slightly different. And not done yet. The KAC front sight needs to be shortened, and the "can" is faux till the BATF gets done with the forms...

Cool.
View Quote

Thanks! [:D]

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing it's a 458 SOCOM upper.

Is that a PRI handguard?

Tell us about the barrel?

It's very nice, I want to hear all about it! [:)]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing it's a 458 SOCOM upper.
View Quote

Correct. My favorite flavor.

Is that a PRI handguard?
View Quote

Yes, when I started this, they didn't make one that worked with the ARMS-#38-MOD. I got the parts anyway and figured I'd rig it. Then they started making drilled top rails and I sent it back for the new version.

Tell us about the barrel?
View Quote

Ported for integral suppressioni 16" (no SBR regestration needed) CrMo. Done by Pauza Guns through TeppoJutsu. [url]www.teppojutsu.com[/url]

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get the clear magazine? Only thing on the gun I could afford.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn that's a big hole [50]

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the side charger upper. Should help with blowback.

Is it integrally suppressed? If so who did the can?

cruizer
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did you get the clear magazine? Only thing on the gun I could afford.
View Quote

Ramline clear plastic mag. It is a POS. Does not hold the rounds in. I had to tape the top closed for the pic.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Regarding the SOCOM Mfg upper receiver-

Mixed feelings so far. Quality is top notch, but the price is too. And it looks exactly like the American Spirit Arms version judging from pics. But everyone says ASA is crap.

I haven’t shot it since I don't have the can yet. (that's PVC with black paint)

Function is perfect. I'd prefer to have some kind of sharp edge on the front of the lever. It is smooth and folds against the side for a low profile, which is nice, but it seems like it would be a P.I.T.A. with gloves on.

Tony Rumore modified the ejection port so that the cover still works. (nice)

Worth the money? Probably not. Only if you want something different (like me) or have some other reason.

Best,
--Marty
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The upper is from SOCOM Mfg. www.socommfg.com/sdckrupper.html

CORRECTION: The barrel/suppresser was made by Derek at Sportsman's Guns in TX. Pauza works for Derek, not the other way around as I originally thought.

Suppresser is on the way. Just got off the phone with D. Need to come up with $200 for the tax stamp. [:(]

Also need to start loading up some 500gn subsonic loads! the stuff this thing will eat up.

Anyways... best,
--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I like it!

Alot!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
awesome!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet looking carbine!

One question, isn't the Aimpoint ring a little low?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#15]
it's cool, but the front grip looks like a sex toy.... Is the thing front heavy?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Also need to start loading up some 500gn subsonic loads! the stuff this thing will eat up.
View Quote

What kind of reloading setup are you using? I just took a look at the teppojutso site and the reloading info looks a little bit dated. Are you running a single stage or a progressive? Are components like brass and bullets tough to get? Is the procedure loading a 458 any different than a conventional rifle round?

Thanks for posting the pics and the info. Your new baby is probably the most serious looking rig I've ever seen.

I [b]can't wait[/b] to see your range report! [:)]

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Longshot,
I was able to safely reach 1257fps over the chronograph with 31.0 IMR4198 and Hornady 500 RN in my 16" barrel. I'm sure there was room for more, but already faster than you need for suppressed. Functioned fine down to 25.0 IMR 4198 and chronographed in the 900 fps range. Sorry can't remember exact fps without looking in my log. Fun, huh??!!
Dave
P.S. Any problems with the sliding stock and recoil?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Longshot_va, does the side charging handle reciprocate with the bolt or does it stay in the forward position?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

How?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh you make me sick ( with envy! )
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Longshot_va, does the side charging handle reciprocate with the bolt or does it stay in the forward position?
View Quote

[:D]

Stays forward.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How?
View Quote

The supressor increases back preassure into the chamber, you usually get a lot of gas escapeing under the chargeing handle. Other products like the gasbuster charging handle have come out to combat gas being blown back into the shooters face.

cruizer
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sweet looking carbine!

One question, isn't the Aimpoint ring a little low?
View Quote

Thanks Lumpy! (Means allot coming from you.)

The Aimpoint is dead on center with the ARMS as far as I can tell without a proper front sight. I have a good eye for straight lines, but I won't know for sure until I have a front. ARMS has not returned my email request for information about how high the line of sight is. [b]Anyone Know?[/b]

Again the plan is to cut the KAC flip up front sight to lower it to match the ARMS rear.

That part is still work in progress.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
it's cool, but the front grip looks like a sex toy.... Is the thing front heavy?
View Quote

Hah, that's the DIETER/CQD vertical grip I got from Wes at [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=144756&w=searchPop]MSTN.[/url]

With black PVC substituting for a suppressor (no I don't plan on firing it like this) it is NOT front heavy at all. Very light and easy to direct.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How?
View Quote

The supressor increases back preassure into the chamber, you usually get a lot of gas escapeing under the chargeing handle. Other products like the gasbuster charging handle have come out to combat gas being blown back into the shooters face.

cruizer
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What kind of reloading setup are you using? ...?
View Quote

Dillon 550B. I only load about 20 rounds at a time and I go slow since I'm new to reloading so I only do one operation and the check everything and them come back the next night to do the next stage.

Can you do a search fot 458 here for more info? (or is that a member only feature?) There is tons of info about reloading the 458. If not, let me know and I’ll forward you more info!  [:D]

Quoted:
P.S. Any problems with the sliding stock and recoil?
View Quote

Thanks for the info dr! Still looking for a local source for IMR. Been using WIN296 with 300gn JHP in my standard upper so far.

Don't like the sliding stock with the full 458s. I'm thinking the subsonic loads will play well with the short tube.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#27]
LS,

I have a Swansleeve on my 458, with the flip up rears (a 38, I think), and a Comp ML2.  The front is the DPMS 3 rail gas block, with a BM flip sight.  When I picked up my ML2, I also picked up a spacer.  Did not need it.  When I mounted the ML2, it was only 5 or 6 clicks down, and a couple to the left of being perfect.  I can look over the flipped up irons to see the dot, or I can flip them down for a better field of view.  I have a pretty good cheek weld.  

Man oh man, what a cartridge.  With my sitting bipod, and my ML2, I can hit targets, see the impacts, and get onto the next target pretty darn fast, without a comp.  As a matter of fact, I have this certain metal spinning target that needs mending, as I Hammered it to death with 4 fast shots at 80 yards.  It broke the welds.  A semi-auto 45-70?  Now this is horsepower......

Craig
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you gotten the can yet???
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Just sent the pprwk in Feb 9th.

Wish someone could tell me why the hell it takes 3 months to process those things.

Did you notice all the ppl at Shot Show who copied my config?

- LS
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Very sweet longshot.
Marty is putting a .458 upper together for me. Can't wait to get it. What load performs best out of your rifle, with 300 gr. bullets, and 296?
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just sent the pprwk in Feb 9th.

Wish someone could tell me why the hell it takes 3 months to process those things.

Did you notice all the ppl at Shot Show who copied my config?

- LS
View Quote

I even noticed some of them had the front site on the PRI tube....didn't you find that it wouldn't work that way???

Link Posted: 2/19/2004 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Soooo are you bringing this to the BRD? [:)]
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if I can get my FFL to bring it down... [:(]

That and I have to load up some sub-son loads....   too busy getting ready for the baby on the way.

- LS
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if I can get my FFL to bring it down... [:(]

That and I have to load up some sub-son loads....   too busy getting ready for the baby on the way.

- LS
View Quote

[rofl2]

Hope you got all your gun stuff before the conception .... you ain't gettin' any more now.

Congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations on the baby! You definitely better get the big purchases out of the way now. You will soon be like me and have to take the small purchases when you can get them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#36]
[s]You will soon be[/s]

[size=6][red]Am[/red][/size=6] . . . .already.

MJOLNIR = last hurrah!

- LS
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[s]You will soon be[/s]

[size=6][red]Am[/red][/size=6] . . . .already.

MJOLNIR = last hurrah!

- LS
View Quote

No way.....no M16???

Sell that Explorer and buy a RDIAS....
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
But it gets better once you can buy rifles and tell the Mrs. "these are for the boys".  Heck, both my 2 yr old and 3 mo old already have their own scoped 22LR bolt guns ... courtesy of Grammpa (Lt bird-ret with the 101/Rgr, so perhaps that has something to do with it ....)

And yes, what's with folks copying your design ... ;o)

M
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top