Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2003 2:57:56 PM EDT
I'd like to know what you guys think. I found a really good condition COLT AR15 SP1 today at my gunshop. 3 prong flashhider, triangular handguard, no forward assist on the upper, of course A1 upper and A1 stock. All looks oriiginal. It did have a new bolt face though. However it was in GREAT shape from what I could tell.

Serial# SEP 04876.

They're asking 1599.99.

Is that a fair price?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless its gold plated or has some unlta-rare parts, I'd say its over priced. I've seen NIB SP1's are shows for around $1200. It depends on where you live too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming that you had a typo for the serial number, and meant SP rather than SEP, it's a fairly early SP1. Should probably have the three prong flash suppressor and non trapdoor buttstock.

I too think the price is a bit high.  It would go for $1100-1300 around here, depending on condition.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot a 98% SP1 Sunday.  It had an M16 upper, slick side, but with a forward assist carrier.  mmm.  Great handling rifle though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
$1200-1250 MAX.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool thanks.

I'm pretty sure it said SEP though. b/c I remember thinking that maybe it stood for September production or soemthing. I found it kind of curious too.

Oh well, I can't afford it anyways.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
by this time next year you may be able to buy that same rifle for less than $500 if the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
by this time next year you may be able to buy that same rifle for less than $500 if the ban sunsets.
View Quote

How do you figure? Where I live LNIB SP1s were almost a grand even before the 94 crime bill.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Because next year at this time the market will be flooded with used ARs(preban). That will drive the price/value down. Even if it is NIB, its still just a SP1.

Why would you want an SP1 receiver after the ban sun sets, when you could get a BM, DPMS etc... for the same price? I do not think the price will drop down to the $500 level for a complete rifle, though.

....But, since it is an SP1, it might also hold value or become a collectors item. Who knows?
Lets just hope the ban dies and doesn't come back with even more bs signed in it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Because next year at this time the market will be flooded with used ARs(preban). That will drive the price/value down. Even if it is NIB, its still just a SP1.
View Quote

My point is that an SP1 was a collectors item before the 1994 AWB, and will continue to be a collectors item no matter what happens.

If you were referring to a garden variety preban I'd be more inclined to agree, but the desirability of an SP1 goes beyond the AWB.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
No I agree, Thats why I'm not gonna buy it. But a collector might.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/searches/P6oXUtjr-NoAAAa7hlE-1.htm[/url]

Heres a link to what some are going for on GunsAmerica.com.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you figure? Where I live LNIB SP1s were almost a grand even before the 94 crime bill.
View Quote

This one is not NIB, LNIB is still not new. It does not have all the original parts (bolt described as not original) so pure collector value is diminished. It becomes an old used gun if the ban expires. There is no way to know for sure what the value will be until the dust settles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

This one is not NIB, LNIB is still not new. It does not have all the original parts (bolt described as not original) so pure collector value is diminished. It becomes an old used gun if the ban expires. There is no way to know for sure what the value will be until the dust settles.
View Quote

I guess we'll just have to wait and see [:)] Used gun show frankenguns usually sell for more than $500-that's why I'm choking on the idea of a $500 SP1...

...If you end up being right I'm going to buy every single one I can find [:D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No I agree, Thats why I'm not gonna buy it. But a collector might.
View Quote

Rider,
the SP1 isn't even scarce much less rare.  On this type weapon, collectors would only buy NIB.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I guess we'll just have to wait and see [:)] Used gun show frankenguns usually sell for more than $500-that's why I'm choking on the idea of a $500 SP1...

...If you end up being right I'm going to buy every single one I can find [:D]
View Quote

Me Too! :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey I would love to have an SP just for
a knockabout shooter. [:)]

If I see a decent used one for under  $800
next year I'm on it!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My point is that an SP1 was a collectors item before the 1994 AWB, and will continue to be a collectors item no matter what happens.
quote]

I do not know what people see as collector value. I sold two of them to fund a C3 purchase a few months back. Good riddance. Slabside, no FA, No Shell Deflector, Carry Handle, A1 sights, pencil barrel, 1:12. Yuk. I would rather have a New Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

quote]

I do not know what people see as collector value. I sold two of them to fund a C3 purchase a few months back. Good riddance. Slabside, no FA, No Shell Deflector, Carry Handle, A1 sights, pencil barrel, 1:12. Yuk. I would rather have a New Bushmaster.
View Quote

I think it's the historical appeal collectors find appealing. It the same reason I want an M1 garand. It's a piece of our history, kind of like owning a '75 vette or something like that. Not as rare as say a '70 Hemi 'Cuda, but still out of production, and a piece of technological history.

I can buy into that, but only if the prices don't become inflated and unreasonable. like they sometimes do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, $1500 is overpriced.

Earlier this morning there was a nice SP1 for sale at [url]www.falfiles.com[/url] for $1050.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top