Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2012 1:08:00 PM EDT
Shouldered one in the gunshop yesterday and it felt great. I'm thinking of getting one in .308 for hog hunting.

What are your experiences with this rifle? Likes, dislikes? Suggestions?

I'd appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
No one with experience and advice?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no hog expert or BAR expert but here is what I think:

If you really LIKE the rifle you will "play" with it and " love on it" if you will, you will shoot it more, cause you like it. The more you handle and shoot it the the better you will be with it and the less it will matter in the equation. When that part of the hunt is kind of a forgone conclusion-you will sholder, aim, fire and hit the target decicivley-you will have more time to consider the parts of the hunt you can not control.

Go get the rifle, find some inexpensive ammo it likes, shoot the piss out of it. Then go rid the world of as many hogs as you can and have a good time with it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm no hog expert or BAR expert but here is what I think:

If you really LIKE the rifle you will "play" with it and " love on it" if you will, you will shoot it more, cause you like it. The more you handle and shoot it the the better you will be with it and the less it will matter in the equation. When that part of the hunt is kind of a forgone conclusion-you will sholder, aim, fire and hit the target decicivley-you will have more time to consider the parts of the hunt you can not control.

Go get the rifle, find some inexpensive ammo it likes, shoot the piss out of it. Then go rid the world of as many hogs as you can and have a good time with it.

Thanks for the reply and the excellent advice RippleSoul.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it would be just about perfect. I almost bought one in .270 i believe awhile back for this exact same purpose...but I wound up being outbid at the last minute
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I owned one in .270 and I loved how it looked, but hated how it shot.  No matter what I tried it could not group well.  It patterned.  I am particular about high powered rifles though and 2 inch groups at 100 yards are not acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I owned one in .270 and I loved how it looked, but hated how it shot.  No matter what I tried it could not group well.  It patterned.  I am particular about high powered rifles though and 2 inch groups at 100 yards are not acceptable.

agreed, might have been a good thing i didnt get it i guess
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
no 2 weapons are the same. just because one did not group does not mean another might not be a tackdriver. get it, shoot it and if it does not shoot to your liking then pass it on. just make sure you get at a price that is reasonable if you decide not to keep it it won't be a total loss on your part.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you send it back to Browning?  As I recall, the story behind their BOSS adjustable muzzle weight was if they couldn't fix the accuracy issues in a given returned BAR, they'd try chopping an inch off the muzzle & recrowning it.  That would change the bbl harmonics enough the groups would tighten up.  The BOSS was an attempt to allow the user to adjust the bbl harmonics to a particular load.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Only experienced with one particular rifle
2 shots very close.  3rd shot 8 inches high (due to heat) at 100 yards
The magazine is little difficult to load since it is hinged and not completely detached from the rifle (may be I don't know how to detach it)
If you load 5 round in the magazine, difficult to seat and retract the bolt and let it fly.
Most of them have very good furniture and too pretty to drag it through brush.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2 inch group with semi auto that is no free floated is fantastic in my standard.  Not so for a bolt gun with free floating barrel
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a BAR Mark II in .30-06.  It loves Federal Premium or Fusion or whatever flavor of Federal you give it.

The lightweight would be a great rifle.  I am not sure about th 2" groups though.  Every BAR I have shot or know of shoots <1" groups.  The exception being .338s then the groups are like 1.25"

The only things I dislike about my rifle are:  1)  It is shiny and has a wood stock and 2) The length of pull is long for me since I am short.  

Mine shoots 5/8" groups.  3 shots, not 10.  

No Boss either, that is a gimic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a lightweight stalker in .308 that I use for whitetails in Northern MN. As stated earlier, it groups at about 2in at 100 yards. If you don't let it cool between shots, the they will stretch downward to 3 inches. I've never hog hunted but for a 50 yard max shot on a deer that's plenty good. I think the aluminum receiver hurts the accuracy some due to flexing. It's a give and take, if you want a semi-auto that groups <1in shot after shot, go get an ar10 that weighs 10lbs unloaded.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never handled one.

Gunbroker is showing $800-1000.

The mag is not detachable?

If this is primarily a hog gun, there must be better options.

So - is it a hog gun, or will you employ it with other critters at varying range?

Is price a real factor?

What is the character of your hunting grounds? Thick stuff? Short lines of sight? Varied?

I don't know NC law. Limitations on round count?

FWIW, I've killed my share of hogs with many different rifles/handguns. One of my favorite beater "hog" guns is a Rem. 76 pump in 30.06 with a 10 round mag. No frills, but keeps the cleaning station busy. If I was looking at a hog stick, it probably wouldn't be a BAR. I'm just not seeing what it does better than some lower priced options. I'd love to own one for the quasi-nostalgia, but at its price point, I may as well pony up a little more for a modern battle rifle.

Hope I didn't piss anyone off!

Whatever you choose, take no prisoners.

It's us or them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top