Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 3:37:09 PM EDT
JET suppressor, .30 caliber titanium on a 6.8 SPC Cardinal Armory 12.5 " SBR, with Spike's tactical lower and D-740, from tactical Night Vision...our friend Victor.

Sounds about like a .22 magnum, with the 110 grain sierra pro hunter SSA combat round (that's all I had time to shoot so far).  If it shoots as well as my 16" superlight barrel, then this is going to be my new hog gun.

Whole rig weighs about 8 lbs.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Me = jelous
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I just threw up in my pants a little bit...

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same thing.But I'm waiting for the Permit to get back.
I'll post a pic of it then.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Very Very NICE!!!!!! You've had me sold on the suppressor idea from my thread and now I am thinking NVS as well!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
That makes my private parts happy
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Want
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
That is groovy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Any report on how the 12.5" bbl is shooting?  I am about to pull the trigger on building another upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Very, very nice.  Just be careful and don't be tempted to try and take a deer or other game (protected) animal with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very, very nice.  Just be careful and don't be tempted to try and take a deer or other game (protected) animal with it.

....I have several other 6.8's for that purpose.  This was built for hog hunting, period.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
HTR, you are my hero.

- AG
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]
You just made the girl passing behind me in the library say 'Oh my god!' at the sight of the kickass rifle on my screen. Thank you, and thats an excellent build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....I have several other 6.8's for that purpose.  This was built for hog hunting, period.  

I'd go so far as to say HTR is a man of integrity and would not even consider such a thing.

Ahh the internet... dont you love it....

I'd say you went just a little too far with your assumptions there, as I was in no way questioning his nor anyone else's integrity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd go so far as to say HTR is a man of integrity and would not even consider such a thing.

Ahh the internet... dont you love it....

I'd say you went just a little too far with your assumptions there, as I was in no way questioning his nor anyone else's integrity.

No. You were just being your usual pious and preachy self.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Sweet build!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No. You were just being your usual pious and preachy self.

Quite wrong, dumbass.  I was making note of the fact that use of a suppressor for game animals is not legal in TX, and believe it or not...not everyone is as up on all the regulations where they hunt as they might be.  If he already is (and appears to have been), then great.  If he wasn't, then he would be now.  No harm either way, and some possible benefit.

I guess it was the part where I complimented him on the rifle that made you think it was an attack of some sort, huh?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#23]
how much a month for that thing!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

rent by the hour or by the hog......?

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK,OK I'll admit there's a lot of dough tied up in this rifle, but the hog problem we have is absolutely out of control.  This is one attempt to get that problem solved.  If I don't, then my deer herd will suffer because I will not be able to maintain food plots, etc.  I will also admit that this type of game management is fun, but has a definite purpose.

All I can say is that I am a dedicated, lifelong conservationist.  If I can improve the deer herd, the habitat and the resource, both for the land I purchased, and that of those around me,  then I have succeeded in life.  Money (while it is an object) is secondary to that desire.

(it also helps that I am not married )

ETA;  as for DanParker's comments:  while unnecessary, I take no offense.  I know the regulations as well as some of the Game Wardens in my area.  I should, since I helped write some of them
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]
ETA;  as for DanParker's comments:  while unnecessary

99% of the posts on this and most any other forum are not "necessary".  But mine was intended to serve some minorly useful purpose, or at least have that potential.

, I take no offense.

Nor is there any reason that you should.  There was clearly none intended.

I know the regulations as well as some of the Game Wardens in my area.  I should, since I helped write some of them

Given that comparison, I hope your local wardens are more well versed on the regs than some I've encountered.  I've asked them for clarifications of public land regulations that were unclear/ambiguous and had them tell me they didn't know the answer and that I should call Austin and ask.  Oh, and...when I do...would I please call them (wardens) back and let them know what I found out?

That's not a slam on those or any other P&W officers.  I've yet to deal with one who wasn't as friendly and helpful as they could be.  But just like other law-enforcement officers, they aren't always as familiar with the laws and regulations they're charged with enforcing as one might think.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ahhh I am once again reminded why I stay in tech...

People insulting one another on the net... no better way to get your point across.  

This is a tech forum.

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Is this the same lack of logic that says every lady is a prostitute because she simply possesses the "equipment" to be so?  [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is this the same lack of logic that says every lady is a prostitute because she simply possesses the "equipment" to be so?  [>:/]

Perhaps 'tis

On other newsof a more tech-like nature, the above rig was employed this weekend for hog killing, but they did not show up (as is so often the case).  S0, just before leaving the blind, I decided to take out three or four raccoons that were hanging in the feeder and spinning the plate

Three of the four were easily dispatched, using the excellent Speer 90grain TNT, which has proved to be very accurate in most of my 6.8's.  I shot the first dead as a stone, then I swung on the other two running and easily got them, too.  The shots were about 80-90 yards.  FOV is quite good considering it is 4 X.

The one thing I notice about the D-740 that is a disadvantage versus a PVS-14 / Eo / Aimpoint, is the reticle size.  When you are swinging rapidly to a running target. the single, 1 MOA dot is superior, IMO.  The D-740's is sharp and infinitely adjustable for intensity, but I wish so much, that instead of a color change (amber to red), which is kind of Ghey , that you could change from cosshair reticle to 1MOA dot.  That would be MUCH more useful to me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2008 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I apologize for polluting your tech thread.

That is good feedback on the FoV.  I haven't had the opportunity to do any hunting with mine yet, but that factor was one of the key considerations in going with the 4X instead of 6X.  

You also make a very good point about the reticle.  Is it safe to assume that you use the red one?
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK,OK I'll admit there's a lot of dough tied up in this rifle, but the hog problem we have is absolutely out of control.  This is one attempt to get that problem solved.  If I don't, then my deer herd will suffer because I will not be able to maintain food plots, etc.  I will also admit that this type of game management is fun, but has a definite purpose.

well if you  need any help uhhh...sighting that thing in you let me know!

Thats one good lookin stick though!
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I apologize for polluting your tech thread.

That is good feedback on the FoV.  I haven't had the opportunity to do any hunting with mine yet, but that factor was one of the key considerations in going with the 4X instead of 6X.  

You also make a very good point about the reticle.  Is it safe to assume that you use the red one?

No apology necessary.   Your analogy was apropos.

I am still trying to figure out whether I like the amber or red reticle better.  I am now starting to lean back toward the amber again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for further enhancing my vocabulary; I had to pull out the Merriam-Webster for that one.  

The red obviously offers greater contrast, and I have defaulted to it through past experience with AP's and ACOG's; what draws you to the amber?  I can't imagine that it is available intensity, since they both can go way too bright if one so chooses.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thank you for further enhancing my vocabulary; I had to pull out the Merriam-Webster for that one.  

The red obviously offers greater contrast, and I have defaulted to it through past experience with AP's and ACOG's; what draws you to the amber?  I can't imagine that it is available intensity, since they both can go way too bright if one so chooses.

I has to be that the reticule itself is something that I don't want to be drawn to, until and unless I decide, at that very last second, to place a bullet.  I like to focus on my target, not so much the sight.  Does that make sense?  The color of the reticle is not a problem, so the difference between red and amber is nil.  And, for that matter, I really don't need  two colors.  Simply give me one, and then maybe an intensity feature, but my perfect NVD would contain an optional 1 MOA dot feature.  I don't care if its purple  

When I am trying to get the proper angle and view of the area of the animal I want to hit, I don't want to have to look around that reticle.  This is why the dot is so desirable.  It is very unobtrusive, and then when a precise shot is needed, one can focus on it only to place the bullet.  Also, when you have a pig running away from you at 200 yards, you have to actually focus on the reticle to find the center cross, and eliminate the rest. This is all busy, and noisy to the brain when milliseconds count.  Moreover, it is harder to have to look past that thing, than it would be to have the animal in focus, and then find the dot, and place it on the target, not completely covering over it, like the crosshair does.

Of course, JMHO, based upon my personal exp.

Link Posted: 11/25/2008 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#35]
-Finally gussied her up with Ergo grip and sling.

-She is also now bloodied  I have shot two pigs and 3 raccoons with her.

-Oh, and SM3, I will take you to the stand with me, when you are here, and let you shoot her if you want to.

-anyone else that books a guided hog hunt will also get to shoot this beautiful instrument.

-Another quick note:  She shoots SSA 85 grain Barnes TSX's at 2974 FPS!

Link Posted: 11/25/2008 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Fine looking piece of machinery you have there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#37]
I hadn't previously thought about the concept that the amber might be better due to its relative LACK of contrast against the beautiful "green glow", but maybe you are on to something as far as minimizing distraction to the cranial unit.

Have you considered putting your EO in front of the D-740, and adjusting the latter's reticle intensity down far enough for it to disappear?  I realize that would sort of defeat the purpose of a dedicated NV riflescope, and the dot would be mag'd up to 4 MOA, but if it produces the desired result.....  At least there would be less lenses to suck up the light as compared with a PVS/3x combo, which for whatever reason has never really worked well for me, hence the D-740 acquisition.

Of course, a laser is always an option as well, particularly since you are already using an illuminator during small moons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top