http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/January_Deer_001_Resize.jpg

Ok we have before pics.

Where are the after pics?
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a rough year this year.

I have an unfilled Missouri tag, Kentucky Tag, and still able to take deer in Tennessee.

I only hunted 3 states this year instead of the 6-9 I usually pull off.

Leaving this Wed. to take 10 Wounded American Heroes duck hunting for couple of days, so doesn't look like will make it out this weekend.

The following weekend I think I am headed to Missouri to close on a piece of property we (Family Hunting Group) are buying adjacent one of our properties.

Maybe when I head to Florida in Feb to take 10 Wounded American Heroes on a Deer and Hog Hunt.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats sucks you season is so short.  Nj sucks but i have to say we have a really long hunting season.  You can hunt with the bow from september to mid Feb EVERYDAY except christmas day.  Muzzleloader is between 20 and 60 days long (depending what zone your in)  shotgun runs about the same amount of days depending where you are
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats sucks you season is so short. Nj sucks but i have to say we have a really long hunting season. You can hunt with the bow from september to mid Feb EVERYDAY except christmas day. Muzzleloader is between 20 and 60 days long (depending what zone your in) shotgun runs about the same amount of days depending where you are

Our archery season is from October 1 to the first Sunday in January. Our firearms season is two weeks long, and our muzzleloader season is two weeks long. I'm glad our season is "short", and wish it were a little shorter. States with long deer seasons usually have small bucks.

Agree

Wish more states would go to an antler restriction, and even "Earn a Buck"

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I am fine with the seasons the way they are. What I don't like is the screwy license structure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont know if I would have the balls to cut the wire so close to a trapped pissed off deer - you are correct they can kick the beejesus out of you.
Kudos to you for a good job and a cool story to tell.

We have an interesting story too from the property we hunt in upstate NY. Coyotes are a real problem lately so after we shot the 3rd deer of the season my friend put out 2 leg traps with the gut piles. 2 days later my other friend (the property owner) is out and sees a strange sight from up the hill where the traps were set. As he walks closer he thought we were playing a trick on him, Upon closer inspection it was a red tailed hawk - fully splayed out, wings apart laying on the ground.  He thought the thing was dead untill he got 10 feet from it and it went berserk, sadly still hooked into the trap.

He quickly returned home dressed up in his carhartt coveralls, motorcycle helmet and heavy jacket and returned with a blanket.  Amazingly, he was able to free the bird (thank God!) without getting his eyes poked out or tore up from the talons. He said while the leg looked "crooked" the hawk didnt seems any worse for the wear - maybe a busted leg.  He's seen it soaring over the house (the leg is still a little crooked) but it's been 2 weeks or so, and we think the Hawk will be OK.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh that first pic is a beauty of a twofer shot

Really is a nice pic and good save on her!
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am fine with the seasons the way they are. What I don't like is the screwy license structure.

Don't tell me you missed out on the "lifetime license"

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought as well.

My grandfather did just that back in the 60's. He shot a buck and also happened to kill the doe standing directly behind it with the same slug.

I had a cousin do it in Pa.  Being the ethical guy he is, he drug the buck out, found the game warden, told him what he had done.
GW went to the site of the incident with him, acknowledged it, talked and walked with him while he drug her out.....then wrote him the ticket and took the deer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I got 2 does this year, but it was a really strange year!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I got back from AFG, New Years Eve.  Only went out one evening and saw 3 Does.  Since Im Antler hunting Im 0 for 2 since moving back to Indiana.  At least I smacked a Doe on base last year and still have some meat
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandfather did just that back in the 60's. He shot a buck and also happened to kill the doe standing directly behind it with the same slug.

I had a cousin do it in Pa.  Being the ethical guy he is, he drug the buck out, found the game warden, told him what he had done.
GW went to the site of the incident with him, acknowledged it, talked and walked with him while he drug her out.....then wrote him the ticket and took the deer.

Never talk to the police. Or the game warden.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never talk to the police. Or the game warden.

It happened locally here this year.  Guy shoots 2 small bucks on opening morning in the fog w/ slug.  He tries to cover it up after getting some bad advice from friend.
Game Wardens hear, investigate and believe his story.  They write him a written warning, only because he did not call.
They would have issued tickets if it involved trophy bucks or if he would have tried to maintain the lie.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top