Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 6 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 11:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wulfman] [#1]
I have shot a 155lb 6-point and two 70-80lbs does in the past two years. Using factory loaded Federal Premium (P223S)  55gr Barnes Triple Shock ammo...I am shooting a Colt A-3 Tactical Carbine with a  16" (1 in 9 twist)  heavy barrel. At 100yards it will hold about 1.5 moa three shot group. The buck and one doe was from about 55 yards completely broadside, thru the chest shot (double lung ) they walked about 15-20 ft and fell over, bullet passed completely thru. The second doe was quartering toward me at about 75 yrds...shot her in the right front shoulder, bullet went thru the shoulder into the chest striking a rib as it entered completely jelled the lungs and top of the heart., struck and broke second to last rib on left side and lodged under the skin on the left side. This doe walked about 10 feet, did a complete circle and fell over.....will post pic of the recovered bullet soon...if you go to the Federal Premium website and look up this bullet the recovered one looked exactly like the one pictured there. Here is the link to that page:      http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=797
    Just received my .50 Beowulff 16" entry upper from AA today....about another week to complete and hope to post to the Hog Hunting pages
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/devonsname/IMG_1123.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/devonsname/IMG_1125.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/devonsname/IMG_1128.jpg
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ticonderoga:
Originally Posted By danc46:
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
danc46, scepticism is not a bad thing, but being a blind sceptic certainly has it's shortcomings.  I'm glad to see you were willing to give a proper .224" game bullet an honest day in court.  I hope to see you post some more pics.  

We're having a problem with coyotes this year. Haven't started thinning them out yet but we will.
My son hit a buck in the shoulder, broke it's leg, with a 50 cal sabot using a 240 XTP Hornady.
He lost the deer. I'll find him if the coyotes don't get him.
He was using three pellets of Triple 7 out of a Encore 50x209 and that XTP at 40 yards.
Even with a heavy bullet and plenty of power, getting past that shoulder bone on large bucks can be a bitch.
My son is no slouch of a shot and has killed dozens of deer with everything from a mechanical broadhead to Dodge pickup.
I'm going to be loathe to ever use a 223 bullet, no matter the make or weight, on a nice buck. That's not skepticism, that's 35 years of hunting whitetails in all types of terrain and in several different states.

Not trying to sound like a smartass, I'm serously inquiring here; what is the advantage of shooting the shoulder? My last buck - a very good sized 8 pt - was with a 50 ca;/ 240gr 44 cal sabot with the same powder load.  Shot was behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up.  Bullet hit both lungs and clipped the top of the heart.  Buck ran 30 yards and piled up.

The year previous I hit the shoulder and had to track the buck for 2 1/2 hours.

Also, i don't see the reason for the popularity with all of these "fancy" hollow point muzzle loader bullets.  I shoot a .44 Nosler 240 grain JSP (rather than a JHP); the soft point expands PLENTY before passing through a deer.  The lat 8pt buck I shot, the entry wound was .44 cal and the exit wound was the size of a quarter.

As these bullets have always been through and throuhgs, I don't have any recovered bullets, but these I shot into wet newspirnt to get an idea of how they expand.

240 gr 44:

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bulnosler24044.jpg

I  would think that a JSP would penetrate, especially through a shoulder than a JHP.  Here is a 240gr recovered from wet newspirnt:

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bulnosler24044b.jpg

As the exit hole in my last deer (only through heart and lungs, did NOT hit the shoulders) was the same diameter we can assume that the JSP exited the deer about the same size:

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bulnos240f.jpg?w=359&h=352

And here is another:

http://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bulnosler24044s.jpg

I can't see spending $1.75 a bullet for JHP when you can buy JSPs by the box at 50 (.44 reloading components) that do just as good of a job:

You missed my point. I concur with you wholeheartedly about the JSPs.
I'm not crazy about HPs on anything other than two legged varmints.
And Im not crazy about lighter weight bullets that don't have the ability to hold together after hitting bone.
I don't think my son intended to hit the buck in the shoulder, but directly behind the shoulder. The buck was moving and he hit the shoulder. That much was evident he did when it ran off with the shoulder dangling.
Two schools of thought - 1) heavy bullet with lots of energy to break bone and penetrate and 2) light bullet to blow through and cause damage.
I'm of the old school of lots of hit power and massive hemorrhage and organ damage.
So many think penetration is the answer in ballistics i.e. Fackler and ballistic gel.
From my experience of actually killing large game (elk, deer, bear, coyotes, etc) over 35 years nothing seems more important to me than bullet weight and construction with enough energy to do two things - cause blunt trauma and massive hemorrhage.
You won't find me using HPs in a handgun while hunting. Or a muzzle loader.
And from now on I'm sure my son will avoid any HP sabot in his 2.09x50 while hunting whitetail.
It's more than likely going to be a solid bullet of some type.
I do know from personal experience the Nosler 60 gr Partition in 223 is a good bullet to drop does with.
How it would do on a larger and heavier boned buck is still very uncertain in my mind.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I enjoyed the pics of the opened deer. I never really thought about how some rounds tear up the meat more than necessary . It seems that choosing a good round will give you knock down power without tearing the animal up more than is needed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a load that I built up for deer hunting, but of COURSE, I didn't see a single one last season. Maybe I'll luck out and get called by a local farmer about some coyotes so I can test it out. This load is hot as hell and groups extremely well out of both my 16" stag upper (1:9") and my BCM 20" upper (1:7").

60gr. Sierra HP
24gr. IMR 4895
New Remington brass
CCI 400 small rifle primers
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 12:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#5]
I see that .223 is effective and I was wondering if 100-200yds is doable out of a 16" barrel, I don't see much mention of what size barrel people are using and - want to use a 16" 1/7 for the bushwhacking I  have to do in this state.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZoToL:
I see that .223 is effective and I was wondering if 100-200yds is doable out of a 16" barrel, I don't see much mention of what size barrel people are using and - want to use a 16" 1/7 for the bushwhacking I  have to do in this state.

I used a bolt action with a 24" barrel and a single shot with a 26" barrel with the 60 gr Partitions.
If your rifle will shoot well with your bullet, even if it is a 16" barrel, give it a try.
But please be sure it is a bullet designed for larger game and not one for varmints.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Talked to a shooter at an AR match I ran the other day. We were talking about different bullets and accuracy in hunting bullets for the 223.
He told me he hit a Corsican ram with a 44 mag at close range and didn't drop it.
He said it got off about 100 yds and he dropped it where he hit it (quartering away) with a 60 gr Nosler Partition. The muscle and skeletal structure of a large ram is pretty impressive and he said it was no problem for that bullet to drop that ram.
He knows that you often aim for what lays between where the bullet enters and exits. It must have solid structure to expand and break through heavy flesh and bone and continue through the body mass to destroy vital organs.
A bullet that fragments or deflects easily will not penetrate and not leave a long and large interior wound.
From what he reported to me, it did an exceptionally good job going straight in the body, tearing up organs and bones.
That eased a lot of doubt on my mind about a 60 gr Nosler Partition in 223 being decent for a larger buck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Guys,
Just sharing some info !

Here's a very interesting new " .223 Bullet " under " R&D Testing Phase ".

I like that little 223 as well. Twist was 1:9. A 223 NonCon would be extremely interesting, and I think at some point that will happen.... Michael

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3/m/2861098911/p/175

PAPI
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Oooooooooh goody! I like that!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't the deer itself a part of the equation?
I live in Florida and the whitetails here are rather small.
So wouldn't a 55 grain soft point work well here with proper shot placement,
but maybe not so much up north?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hoppinglark:
Isn't the deer itself a part of the equation?
I live in Florida and the whitetails here are rather small.
So wouldn't a 55 grain soft point work well here with proper shot placement,
but maybe not so much up north?

The size of the deer does matter.
But most 55 gr soft points in 223 are of the varmint type.
Made to enter and blow up, not puncture a hole on the other side for fur reasons.
A game bullet for larger game has controlled expansion for deep penetration with maximum hemorrhage.
Sometimes with heavier game you need a heavier bullet with higher kinetic energy so it will penetrate instead of blowing up on a shoulder and wounding the animal where it can still run off.
It's a balance between expansion for tearing up organs and being stout enough to get deep if it has enough kinetic energy.
Meaning jackets are harder and thicker on some bullets than others so the expansion is slow during penetration instead of instantaneous when it first hits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#13]
Just an update on : Terminal Bullet Performance : " Cutting Edge Bullets "

Pg# 183
" Trauma to medium was nearly non existent from the Nosler, which surprised me a bit, just a tiny hole with pieces from beginning to end at 6 inches.
The Barnes gave a bit more trauma than the Nosler, but not as much as the BBW #13 NonCon.
This concludes my "TINY-ITTY-BITTY Big Bore" report, we will now move to something a bit more, entertaining!
Michael " http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/2861098911/p/183

PAPI

EDIT:
...Now do not forget either, that it has been determined, and proven from great deal of study over the years that a solid tested in my test medium here will penetrate on average 35% more in animal tissue, since in most cases it is less dense than the test medium. Softs, expanding and NonCons will be from [span style='text-decoration: underline;']75%-80% to 100% deeper penetration on animal tissue than in this test medium... Michael

Tested in the " LAB ", and then " Field Tested " on Live Game ...

Deeper Penetration , Better Bullets ,HMMMMM !!

Sounds like a " WINNER ".. !
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  Where do we get these?  $$$???  Thanks, 9080
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#15]
They are still in the " Testing Phase "

NEWS: 08/05/2011
http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pages/news

PAPI
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Would this be a good round to take a deer with?  I want to use my LaRue stealth 18' for this years hunting season.  I hunt in the Tx panhandle and most bucks up here are pretty big, last years opening buck was a dressed 165 lb 8 point.  I have a 308 i have been using but though it might be fun to hunt with my AR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jnsey:
Would this be a good round to take a deer with?  I want to use my LaRue stealth 18' for this years hunting season.  I hunt in the Tx panhandle and most bucks up here are pretty big, last years opening buck was a dressed 165 lb 8 point.  I have a 308 i have been using but though it might be fun to hunt with my AR.

I reloaded the 60 gr Partition and used it. I killed one nice sized doe and a young man hunting with me killed another doe with that bullet. I shot mine at around 100 yds, his at 175. He smashed the spine and blew threw the deer, dropping it where stood. Mine wasn't that spectacular a kill but it went down pretty quick too.
It made a believer out of me for hunting Oklahoma whitetail with a 223.
How it would do on the bigger heavier bones on a nice sized buck is still a question to me but I am beginning to think it would be OK if the distances were under 200 or so.
Longer distances I don't think it would have the kinetic energy to break through the hard bone and give good deep organ damage.
If you are going to shoot longer distances, 300 yards or so, I'd probably sitck to the 308 myself for dropping them quicker.
But that's my opinion and not from experience at shooting big bucks with a 60 gr Partition at that distance so take if for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]

I reloaded the 60 gr Partition and used it. I killed one nice sized doe and a young man hunting with me killed another doe with that bullet. I shot mine at around 100 yds, his at 175. He smashed the spine and blew threw the deer, dropping it where stood. Mine wasn't that spectacular a kill but it went down pretty quick too.
How it would do on the bigger heavier bones on a nice sized buck is still a question to me but I am beginning to think it would be OK if the distances were under 200 or so.
Longer distances I don't think it would have the kinetic energy to break through the hard bone and give good deep organ damage.
If you are going to shoot longer distances, 300 yards or so, I'd probably sitck to the 308 myself for dropping them quicker.
But that's my opinion and not from experience at shooting big bucks with a 60 gr Partition at that distance so take if for what it's worth.

Awesome that's whats i wanted to hear, thanks.  As for distance, the longest shot i would probably make is around 175 yds so i bet i will be good then.  Next question is do you have a good source for these bullets?

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Awesome that's whats i wanted to hear, thanks.  As for distance, the longest shot i would probably make is around 175 yds so i bet i will be good then.  Next question is do you have a good source for these bullets?

I reloaded mine. I bought the Partitions in a box of 50 and they were almost $25. They are not cheap.
I emailed Federal and asked them what round in 223 they would recommend for whitetail hunting,
The link you put up is that round they responded with.
I googled up this website that lists them:
http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/Federal-Premium-223-Rem-60Gr-Nosler-Partition-20-200-P223Q.html
The load is Federal Premium P223Q. You might put that in Google and see who else has it.
Good Luck and put up some pics of the hit on that big buck you're gonna get!

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I am very tempted to use my DD M4 1:7 to take a deer this year, and from reading this entire thread (only took 90 min )
I am leaning towards Silver State Armory's cartridge topped with either a 62gr or 70gr  TSX.

As I have been reading on the Barnes' website, they just released a 50gr FB.  I'm tempted to have my brother try this in his 1:12 bbl, but will this still be enough bullet for a 100# deer inside 100yrd?
Is is an FB because its only 50gr and not worth making a BT?  - cause my target ammo is a 55gr BT and works great.

Hypothetically, what difference should I see when comparing two identical bullets, except one be BT and the other FB?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By B05T0N22:

...Hypothetically, what difference should I see when comparing two identical bullets, except one be BT and the other FB?

A boat tail supposedly has a higher ballistic coefficient meaning it won't bleed velocity off as fast as a FB.
For hunting purposes, it makes very little difference unless you are shooting upwards of 600 yards or more.
Go with whatever if more accurate in your rifle.
But remember a heavier bullet holds onto it's kinetic energy a bit longer than a lighter bullet at the same distances, giving better penetration to tear up organs.
If the bullet breaks up easily, it's not worth a darn for hunting whitetail.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 9:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zoomer302] [#22]
OK. So I did it. I finally got a box of 60 Gr. Nosler partitions in 223. As a poster from page 1 that got into
it pretty good with "Clyde" over how I think there are much better choices than a 223 for deer, I finally am
willing to try it out this year.  I am still hesitant, as I am a die hard 30 cal/12 Ga slug/50 cal Muzzleloader fan,
but theres no denying the picture evidence and descriptive destruction from this thread.

I figure if Danc46 can give it a fair chance then I should too.  I have a "boatload" of tags this year and there
are 3 does that show up at 1730 every night right behind the house. I wont take headshots unless EVERYTHING
is perfect for the shot (a real possibility from the porch w/a bipod and prone with a range of 60 or so yards) and will
carry the tried and true Ruger M77 (-06) for the majority of the hunt like I usually do. Not willing to take the chance
of a 223 and a booner.

A note of thanks to those that have taken the time to photograph, post and explain their experiences here - it's been
a real eye opener for me.  As a "doubting Thomas" by nature and going againt the collective traditions of literally
100's of years of hunting experience in the areas I hunt I will be the first one that I know of to try a 223 there.
There's alot riding on this one and most of the guys I hunt with are genuinely interested in the outcome. Most just grunt
and shake their heads in disbelief - but have seen me shoot at some extended ranges and say if anyone there should
try it, it should be me.  I'll be sure to document as much as I can while afield. If nothing else it should be a good
lesson - either way.

ETA - Box of 20 was 30 bucks!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I have some MK262 Mod 1 in the safe, I think that I'm going to use that stuff for deer season this year... Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 6:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: demerson] [#24]

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 12:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillyDoubleU] [#25]
Alright, I am OCD'ing pretty bad about what ammo I should use in my new 20" 1:7 AR for my up coming White Tail hunt

I built this rifle for hunting and got a 1:7 for the bigger round specifically.

Problem is, I can't seem to find any 75-77gr ammo made for hunting deer

I have read just about every post in this thread and see that the Winchester Super X Power Point 64gr is liked as a factory ammo.

I see the TSX 70gr seems to be good but does that come in a factory round, I don't reload (yet).

Same with the Nosler Partition, which is 60gr only right and only for handloaders? (I did see a Federal VitalShok with this bullet).

I have read in here and other places that 'Match ammo' and BTHP type ammo is not for taking deer so that throws out all the 77gr Match BTHP and 77gr Match King and ammo right. I don't want to destroy too much meat.

I just want to use a heavy bullet in case of a slightly longer shot and to make the most of the .223 and to make me feel better

Halp me!

ETA:
I did come across this during my searching

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/tactical/tactical-test.html
The 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 60 grain Nosler Partition, 64 grain Winchester-Western Power Point and 75 grain Swift Scirocco all expanded into classic mushrooms. These four are big game bullets in miniature. You expect great things from Trophy Bonded, Nosler and Swift, but I was amazed at the performance of the Winchester 64 grain Power Point. It did not penetrate as deeply as the Nosler Partition, nor make as large a cavity as the Bear Claw, but it made a significantly larger cavity at much greater depth than either of these. The absolute best performer was the heavy 75 grain Swift Scirocco. Among the hunting softpoints, it won on both penetration depth and largest wound cavity. Although none of these loads is really an ideal deer load, the 75 grain Swift Scirocco is what I would use if I had to shoot a deer with a .223 Remington.

I think I am leaning toward the 64gr Winchester PP or the 75gr Swift (as I want a heavier bullet anyway)...

ETA: Holy shit, never mind on the Swift, it's $200 for a 100 rounds

So I guess the Winchester 64gr PP or the 60gr Nosler Partition?

ETA: I did find a company loading factory ammo with 70gr TSX, $66 for 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:
...I did find a company loading factory ammo with 70gr TSX, $66 for 50 rounds.

^ this - from what I've seen it (and the 62gr) do to wild hogs, you should get a clean kill and not tear up too much meat if you hit them in the right place
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#27]
What company!?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
What company!?

Silver State Armory
http://www.ssarmory.com/556ammunition-70gr-leadfree.aspx

I almost bought some but for this hunt and the fact that deer out here are only in the 100 lb range I went with 64gr Power Points. Left me more money to buy other items I needed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Zoomer302:
Not legal to hunt in my state with a 223. Not sure I would want to either - although those pics do show some catastrophic damage. I shoot deer with a 308, 30-06, 12 Ga. slug gun and a 50 cal muzzleloader. Most everyone I hunt with shoots a 30 cal of some sort. There's an occasional 270 or 7mm mag and maybe a 300 win mag or WSM if your over the cut corn fields() and have a long poke at one.

Not trying to start another caliber war here but with so many better choices out there, why would you want to use a 22?

Why would people use .25's to hunt deer?
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By EliteAmericans:
Not legal to hunt in my state with a 223. Not sure I would want to either - although those pics do show some catastrophic damage. I shoot deer with a 308, 30-06, 12 Ga. slug gun and a 50 cal muzzleloader. Most everyone I hunt with shoots a 30 cal of some sort. There's an occasional 270 or 7mm mag and maybe a 300 win mag or WSM if your over the cut corn fields() and have a long poke at one.

Not trying to start another caliber war here but with so many better choices out there, why would you want to use a 22?

Because it's a perfectly fine deer caliber? 25-06 is no joke.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#31]
[ I went with 64gr Power Points.

Where can I order these from? Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MagnusM4:
Originally Posted By EliteAmericans:

Because it's a perfectly fine deer caliber? 25-06 is no joke.

I cant tell any difference in the deer I shoot with 223 and the deer I shoot with 25'06
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#33]
PAPI- Can we get these yet!! Deer season is approaching...

Originally Posted By PAPI:
Just an update on : Terminal Bullet Performance : " Cutting Edge Bullets "
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC092931.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC092961.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC093101.jpg
Pg# 183
" Trauma to medium was nearly non existent from the Nosler, which surprised me a bit, just a tiny hole with pieces from beginning to end at 6 inches.
The Barnes gave a bit more trauma than the Nosler, but not as much as the BBW #13 NonCon.
This concludes my "TINY-ITTY-BITTY Big Bore" report, we will now move to something a bit more, entertaining!
Michael " http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/2861098911/p/183

PAPI

EDIT:
...Now do not forget either, that it has been determined, and proven from great deal of study over the years that a solid tested in my test medium here will penetrate on average 35% more in animal tissue, since in most cases it is less dense than the test medium. Softs, expanding and NonCons will be from [span style='text-decoration: underline;']75%-80% to 100% deeper penetration on animal tissue than in this test medium... Michael

Tested in the " LAB ", and then " Field Tested " on Live Game ...

Deeper Penetration , Better Bullets ,HMMMMM !!

Sounds like a " WINNER ".. !

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#34]
PAPI- Can we get these yet!! Deer season is approaching...  

" YES "

10/24/2011
New 22 (.224) caliber bullets are now available: a 55 grain Non-Conventional hollow point.  Click on the image below for more details.
http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pages/news

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DGBR-HP_A02_BBW_13

EDIT: Additional Info !

"... Wet newsprint is denser than animal tissue, penetration is deeper in animal tissue than in the test medium. Correlating data from my test medium as a rule of thumb for expanding or Non Conventional expanding bullets you will get 80% to 100% more penetration in animal tissue than in the test medium . For Solid bullets you can look for 35% more penetration in animal tissue than in the test medium. This has proven out over and over again bullets tested in the medium first, then taken to the field... Michael  "

PAPI
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sneak:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2WNX223R2-1.html
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sneak:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2WNX223R2-1.html

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Try these! 4000 fps!!!
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
Try these! 4000 fps!!!
http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/

Please don't shoot deer sized game with those.  They are loaded with V-Max bullets, which are designed for rapid/explosive expansion in varmints, not deer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 1:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krochus] [#39]
I was surprised to see and bought a box of BARNES 55 g flat base TSX factory loads at academy ill probably try on this weekends opening day

This isn't a Barnes bullet loaded by another manufacturer its actual Barnes brand ammo.

$29 a box of 20 I've already shot some from my ruger 77 MKII all weather and they certainly grouped well enough
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Krochus:
I was surprised to see and bought a box of BARNES 55 g flat base TSX factory loads at academy ill probably try on this weekends opening day

This isn't a Barnes bullet loaded by another manufacturer its actual Barnes brand ammo.

$29 a box of 20 I've already shot some from my ruger 77 MKII all weather and they certainly grouped well enough

I have a box of these I got with a BPS gift card.  I'm anxious to try them out on a deer and will report that later.  Actually, my 11 year old daughter will be doing the shooting

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I've used the .50 muzzleloader, .30-30, .30-06, and .303 to take deer in the past.  One year when the income was very low, I hunted with an SKS and even though I had a good lung shot with it, and more blood sprayed in the woods than a garden hose would do, I never found that deer, even after hours of tracking...  Yada, yada...now I'm thinking of taking the new AR into the woods for deer this year since now any centerfire rifle cartridge is legal, and I'm hoping to get a coyote should that opportunity present itself.  I have no doubt that the accuracy of the AR, and my shot placement will equal deer in my freezer, bullet type is very important, but so far all I've found locally is the 55 gr Remington Express softpoints (in the green/yellow box), so that's what I'm going to use.   I wouldn't think of using a lighter varmit bullet, or one designed for varmits, 2300 fps at 100  yd will get the bullet to the deer with plenty of energy remaining, I'd feel uncomfortable shooting a large buck at beyond 100 yd with it though.  I'll try the coyote out as far as I see them... which, where I hunt, is about maxed out at 400 yards in just a few places.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#43]
So I bought a couple boxes of ammo from Midway to try out, which one do you think I should I take deer hunting?

Federal Vital-Shok 55gr Barnes TSX

or

MFS 62gr SP

Planned on using the Barnes, but figured I'd see what people thought about the MFS stuff. Was pretty cheap and I planned on using it for coons or yotes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot a big doe yesterday with a Fiocchi 55 gr soft point she went down like she was pole-axed, good price on these too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#45]
Rifle:                    Colt 6920
Round:                 Remington 55g PSP.
Range:                 20 yards quartering in.
Terminal Effect:   The round entered about an inch behind the left shoulder and exited the right side about two ribs back. The exit hole was about as big as a quarter, but oblong. She ran about
                           35 yards and piled up.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Maverick52:

So I bought a couple boxes of ammo from Midway to try out, which one do you think I should I take deer hunting?

or

MFS 62gr SP

Planned on using the Barnes, but figured I'd see what people thought about the MFS stuff. Was pretty cheap and I planned on using it for coons or yotes.

Which one shoots better in your rifle?  

I've not tried the Barnes 55, but I can't get the 62 or the 70 to group to my satisfaction, yet.  Still working on 'em.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rob99vm04] [#47]
This thread has been very informative.  I have never been this excited bout hunting .  This year I'm taking my SCAR 16 to WV for opening rifle loaded up some 60 grain hornady spire points with 24.0 grains of  TAC. Hopefully will have some results next week.

I just hope my camp buddies don't throw me out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By raymondh3201:
Originally Posted By USMC69-70:
Originally Posted By wtwining:
If one has a 16'' AR 1/7 twist, what would the max range to use on deer with 62gr. G.I. bullets?
I would think 400m would be max, what ya think?

I would NEVER use 855s on deer. They are not working all that well for the military in carbines. My nephew pulled a tour of duty in the first battle of faluga and swears they are ineffective at most ranges beyond 50yds using short barrel M-4s. He has spent the last 8 yrs. with the Marine grunts and knows his shit. He said they act like ice picks with no yaw or fragmentation. He said he has seen Iraqies hit in the head and the bullets never penetrated the skull only passed under the scalp and left the enemy totally capable of returning fire. Please use a expanding bullet designed to kill not designed for politics. I use 62gr. Federal Fusions and they work great and are not as expensixe as the corbons. Good luck and good hunting.

Quite Correct.

The M855 was designed to deal with the Soviet Horde crossing the Fulda Gap wearing their version of body armor which at the time consisted of titanium plates. Against this the M855 worked well, not so well against malnourished unarmored tribesman.

My use of the 5.56/.223 has always been in marshy/swamp areas. I myself would not have any quams at 300 m but for me that's the limit. Anything more it I reach for the .308 as I would be hunting field that would give me 300 +.

A neighbor came by yesterday with the green tip.  I told him no.  So, I loaded him 16 rounds of Barnes 62 grain TSX.  He gave me 2 boxes (60 rounds) of M855 as trade.  We used the M855 as practice rounds.  Point of impact was very close.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Scott_R:

Originally Posted By Maverick52:

or

MFS 62gr SP

Which one shoots better in your rifle?  

I've not tried the Barnes 55, but I can't get the 62 or the 70 to group to my satisfaction, yet.  Still working on 'em.    

Haven't shot the MFS at all. Where I'm hunting you don't get very long shots, so more than likely anything will end up hitting near the point of aim. The Barnes group with my practice ammo just fine.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Years ago when I had access to a machine shop, I would take bullets I reloaded and saw them lengthwise to check their construction.
There are huge differences in the thicknesses of jackets in bullets made by the same manufacturer.
Because it's a soft point or hollow point is NO ASSURANCE they will perform well on game such as deer.
By all means, contact the manufacturer and ask them which or their bullets or ammo is best for hunting whitetail.
Be specific if they ask questions, such as caliber, range, type of deer, and size of the deer in the area.
Page / 14
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 6 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top