Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2014 12:05:43 PM EDT
I know there are a number of guys running the Elecraft KX3 QRP radio. I found a nice, but somewhat pricey custom heat sink that a Canadian ham is building and offering for sale.  

Here is a blog link that has a good closeup of the heat sink.  http://www.aerodynes.fr/2014/03/26/heat-sink-for-the-kx3/

VE7FMN - Fred Meier has a listing on QTH.com if anyone is interested.  Just search for his call sign on the QTH website and you will find his ad.

I hope this helps those looking for a heat sink for their KX3.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty nice. Sucks you have to spend another $100 to do digital modes with it though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks pretty nice. Sucks you have to spend another $100 to do digital modes with it though.
View Quote

I have to agree, but given the price of the rig it's not too bad. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]

If I owned the KX3 I am absolutely certain that I would buy this heat sink.

The guy even rounded off the sharp edges and the powder coat looks top notch.

As with all things you often times get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.aerodynes.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_20140325_152422-1024x757.jpg

View Quote

I like the look of this heatsink very much and may consider getting one for my KX3.  Thanks K9-Bob for the tip.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.aerodynes.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_20140325_152422-1024x757.jpg

View Quote

It does like great. Way better than the other DIY attempts that are out there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, and really not that bad considering it is custom machined.

You get what you pay for

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I am very tempted to buy a KX3 radio, but I really can't justify the cost. I don't think I would really use a QRP rig all that much.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am very tempted to buy a KX3 radio, but I really can't justify the cost. I don't think I would really use a QRP rig all that much.
View Quote

I'm pretty much the same way
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to buy the KXPA100 amplifier recently, but since I already have and like my 7200, I decided to wait a while.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have plans on getting one before summer. I have used one with the KPA100 amp and it was a nice setup. I have somethings that I don't like but the pros outweigh them.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have plans on getting one before summer. I have used one with the KPA100 amp and it was a nice setup. I have somethings that I don't like but the pros outweigh them.

http://a.pomf.se/ejkcdr.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What were the things that you didn't care for with the KX3 ?

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been looking into these heatsinks the last couple of days, and here's another one that's had some favorable reviews on the KX3 Yahoo group.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been looking into these heatsinks the last couple of days, and here's another one that's had some favorable reviews on the KX3 Yahoo group.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Elecraft KX3 Heatsink N8WTT.jpg
View Quote

I like that one better

I would think to other one would catch on things

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice, just placed my order.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you guys putting "thermal compound" in between the new and old heat sinks? 73, Rob
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is another interesting link about KX3 cooling

http://blog.danegardner.com/2014/03/elecraft-kx3-heatsink-upgrade.html

Caution: Thermal compound is conductive, so use it with caution.  If not you might let the smoke out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know there are a number of guys running the Elecraft KX3 QRP radio. I found a nice, but somewhat pricey custom heat sink that a Canadian ham is building and offering for sale.  

Here is a blog link that has a good closeup of the heat sink.  http://www.aerodynes.fr/2014/03/26/heat-sink-for-the-kx3/

VE7FMN - Fred Meier has a listing on QTH.com if anyone is interested.  Just search for his call sign on the QTH website and you will find his ad.

I hope this helps those looking for a heat sink for their KX3.
View Quote

If I bought this one I'd buy it w/o the powder coating and anodize it black myself.  The powder coating is $35.

Having said that, the other heat sink listed look much better and doesn't add bulk to the KX3.

Any reviews?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, too.  Estimated delivery: Thursday, Apr. 3.  

The cost of this one was $85 + $5.80 shipping = $90.80 Delivered.  Payed with PayPal... no extra fee.  Made in USA.

The cost the one K9-Bob linked to was $55 + $37.25 Matte Black Powder Coating + $5 Quick Screw and Wrench Set + $18.75 Post and Packing to Lower 48 Without Tracking = $116 Delivered.
Post and Packing to Lower 48 With Tracking adds another $10.  PayPal adds 3%.  Made in Canada.

Quoted:
Are you guys putting "thermal compound" in between the new and old heat sinks? 73, Rob

Rob,
Haven't got that far yet, but I did read a little bit about that on the KX3 Yahoo group.  Stay tuned.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is nothing really related to the KX3 itself but the options that are offered. For a radio that I spend $1000 on I would like them to include a microphone. By the time you include the options like a tuner, side plates, heat sink, interface cables you get pretty close price wise to a new TS590. I know they are two different animals but it is just an eye opener.

I would like to play with the SDR side of the KX3 some more because I think that might put it over the top.

Overall it was an amazing radio with a pretty intuitive menu and buttons for all the common things.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The cost of this one was $85 + $5.80 shipping = $90.80 Delivered.  Payed with PayPal... no extra fee.  Made in USA.

The cost the one K9-Bob linked to was $55 + $37.25 Matte Black Powder Coating + $5 Quick Screw and Wrench Set + $18.75 Post and Packing to Lower 48 Without Tracking = $116 Delivered.
Post and Packing to Lower 48 With Tracking adds another $10.  PayPal adds 3%.  Made in Canada.

Rob,
Haven't got that far yet, but I did read a little bit about that on the KX3 Yahoo group.  Stay tuned.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob,

Thanks BD I wasn't sure if the heat sink was "bolt on" or replaces the existing heat sink. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#21]
You must remove the original heat sink in order to install the new larger one.

Also take some time and read the second blog link I posted.

It goes into detail of one ham's experiences with using the larger heat sink. He talks about using thermal paste and a thermal pad to improve the heat dissipation of the new larger heat sink.

What was interesting about this was that he was able to run his rig at 10 watts output for extended periods of time with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It goes into detail of one ham's experiences with using the larger heat sink. He talks about using thermal paste and a thermal pad to improve the heat dissipation of the new larger heat sink.

What was interesting about this was that he was able to run his rig at 10 watts output for extended periods of time with no issues.
View Quote

Thanks K9, that answered my questions.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal compound available. We use it on high power amplifier heatsinks and thermal testing shows that it consistently results in temperatures several degrees lower than any other compound we've tried. You can get it at Gigaparts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It is nothing really related to the KX3 itself but the options that are offered. For a radio that I spend $1000 on I would like them to include a microphone. By the time you include the options like a tuner, side plates, heat sink, interface cables you get pretty close price wise to a new TS590. I know they are two different animals but it is just an eye opener.

I would like to play with the SDR side of the KX3 some more because I think that might put it over the top.

Overall it was an amazing radio with a pretty intuitive menu and buttons for all the common things.
View Quote

Ham radio has typically been a semi expensive hobby.

With Elecraft in particular it is the Customization that makes
them appealing; If they add all the extras then the price goes up.

I have absolutely no use for an internal tuner so for my K3 that is a $300 option that I did not need to buy.
But with other radios I had to pay for that option to have never used it.

As far as Microphones, those are another thing where a lot of people use headsets
or desk mics etc and the hand mic becomes another thing they paid for but never use.

As far as Elecraft as a whole, yes there stuff is pricier but people like it and are willing to pay the price.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually Heat is the biggest issue, if you can keep it cool that can go for a long time.

I have a DEMI transverter and the heat sink is about 10" x 7" for a 35 watt unit.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Great reading K9-Bob.  Thanks again for the link.  http://blog.danegardner.com/2014/03/elecraft-kx3-heatsink-upgrade.html  

OK, all this stuff should be here by the end of the week.  Should be another adventure, right?  

Parts and Supplies

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great reading K9-Bob.  Thanks again for the link.  http://blog.danegardner.com/2014/03/elecraft-kx3-heatsink-upgrade.html  

OK, all this stuff should be here by the end of the week.  Should be another adventure, right?  

Parts and Supplies

View Quote

Did you get your callsign engraved on your heatsink?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you get your callsign engraved on your heatsink?
View Quote

No, I didn't.  I think I bought the same one just after you did.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#29]
You are welcome BD.....I know you are enjoying your new rig. I was just trying to share the wealth of info I had found on my own search about the KX3.

If I had an extra 1k in my checkbook.......I can see myself buying the KX3.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Parts and Supplies

View Quote

Wow. So are you going to try each one of those thermal interface materials and report back which one works the best? Remember to use the thinnest layer practical of the grease/paste/adhesive type products. More is not better, you want the shortest path for the heat possible without voids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:51:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow. So are you going to try each one of those thermal interface materials and report back which one works the best? Remember to use the thinnest layer practical of the grease/paste/adhesive type products. More is not better, you want the shortest path for the heat possible without voids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parts and Supplies

The best way to apply thermal paste is with an expired credit card or similar.  You can spread a thin, even layer with that, but don't think you'll ever get that card clean again.  Hence the "expired" part being important.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow. So are you going to try each one of those thermal interface materials and report back which one works the best?
View Quote

Read the article the link above points to.  All the thermal interface materials are used.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I would be curious to know why users are choosing the eBay heat sink over the larger custom one.  Price?  I would assume more thermal mass and dispersion surface area would be good, and I'm assuming the other one would provide more of both of those.  BigDaddy, please enlighten me!  (also, can't wait for results!)
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:10:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Parts and Supplies

--- Snip ---

View Quote

I was looking at this and thinking if it is going to be a permanent install I would remove
all the paint on the case under the heat sink since pain can act as a insulator.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would be curious to know why users are choosing the eBay heat sink over the larger custom one.  Price?  I would assume more thermal mass and dispersion surface area would be good, and I'm assuming the other one would provide more of both of those.  BigDaddy, please enlighten me!  (also, can't wait for results!)
View Quote

For me it was "What will work to dissipate heat enough to be able to use higher power settings on high duty cycle modes and still keep the aesthetics of the original design."
I wanted the smallest heatsink profile that would get the job done.  It'll still fit in the pelican case I have now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For me it was "What will work to dissipate heat enough to be able to use higher power settings on high duty cycle modes and still keep the aesthetics of the original design."
I wanted the smallest heatsink profile that would get the job done.  It'll still fit in the pelican case I have now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My thought as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought as well.

Thanks guys - that answer wouldn't have been obvious to me because I haven't yet figured out my long term storage goals of my KX3...
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My thought as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought as well.

And mine
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Watching this with interest.  Waiting on the BigDaddy full test evaluation report.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing like a trail blazer to show us the way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Gee, I hope I don't let you guys down.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#42]

ELVIS is not amused!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Read the article the link above points to.  All the thermal interface materials are used.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. So are you going to try each one of those thermal interface materials and report back which one works the best?

Without owning a KX3 myself I'm not certain if these suggestions are workable, but, if possible, I'd a) work the tolerances on the copper heat spreader to use the 0.5mm thermal pad instead of the 2.5mm pad and b) if the fit between the external heatsink and case was flat enough use the Arctic Silver grease instead of the 0.5mm thermal pad. You can run a small bead of black RTV around the perimeter of the heatsink to prevent migration of the Arctic Silver.

The Arctic Silver stuff is ridiculously good. When we first started using it we were skeptical because at the time it was one of those "too good to be true" advertisements in the back of a PC hot-rod magazine, but we had a design problem and had nothing to lose because the more "traditional" products just weren't cutting it. Then we were worried that the manufacturer was fly-by-night and would change the properties of the material without warning. Ultimately though the product has matured and become very well supported and apparently stable. Nevertheless it remains a bit of amateur hour there because they still haven't formally characterized the thermal conductivity of their products (as measured in deg. C/Watt).
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#44]
The bottom line is that the factory heat sink is not adequate to dissipate the heat if you operate your KX3 at 10 watts.  

Increasing the size of the heat sink and adding some kind of thermal conducting material is a must to allow for that heat to be dissipated.

Your mileage may vary, so be careful.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The bottom line is that the factory heat sink is not adequate to dissipate the heat if you operate your KX3 at 10 watts.  

Increasing the size of the heat sink and adding some kind of thermal conducting material is a must to allow for that heat to be dissipated.

View Quote

I think people want to know what that level is. I plan on using mine backpacking so if the smaller one does the job of course I want it, but if the larger one is needed I don't want to waist my time of money.

aa777888-2 Forget all that thermal mumbo jumbo I just plan on using some double bubble. I hear grape works the best.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I just read an interesting post on another site by the guy who makes the larger  profile heatsink mentioned earlier in this thread.  He was replying to someone who questioned why the heatsinks are so expensive to the end user.  This is the guy I emailed directly to get the pricing info on his heatsink.

KX3 heatsink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In point of fact, the first one I just made took 4.5 hours to make on a Haas CNC mill. That is a $450.00 expense up front for the prototype. Here is how it breaks down: There is Master Cad programming, rough out the blanks so they can be strapped into the mill, trial, adjust, another trial, adjust, mill. Oops, one hole is exactly its own diameter off. Programming mistake. Adjust, re-cut. Throw the mistake into the recycling bin.
Now to go to production- You have to produce 50 pieces or more to get the cost under $40.00. 50 x 40= $2000.
You now have a $2450.00 investment. If the seller is charging $50.00 he is making $10 per copy. He has to sell 245 pieces to break even. No profit yet. Do you think he can sell 245 heat sinks? He couldn't and that is why he is no longer in the heat sink business. BTW I am offering them for $55.00 in mill finish. You can email me directly at fsmeier(at)telus.net
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
aa777888-2 Forget all that thermal mumbo jumbo I just plan on using some double bubble. I hear grape works the best.
View Quote

I know you jest, but strangely enough we also use a lot of the Bergquist "Gap Pad" material and because of its consistency and pink color the assemblers have nicknamed it "bubble gum".
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just read an interesting post on another site by the guy who makes the larger  profile heatsink mentioned earlier in this thread.  He was replying to someone who questioned why the heatsinks are so expensive to the end user.  This is the guy I emailed directly to get the pricing info on his heatsink.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

KX3 heatsink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In point of fact, the first one I just made took 4.5 hours to make on a Haas CNC mill. That is a $450.00 expense up front for the prototype. Here is how it breaks down: There is Master Cad programming, rough out the blanks so they can be strapped into the mill, trial, adjust, another trial, adjust, mill. Oops, one hole is exactly its own diameter off. Programming mistake. Adjust, re-cut. Throw the mistake into the recycling bin.
Now to go to production- You have to produce 50 pieces or more to get the cost under $40.00. 50 x 40= $2000.
You now have a $2450.00 investment. If the seller is charging $50.00 he is making $10 per copy. He has to sell 245 pieces to break even. No profit yet. Do you think he can sell 245 heat sinks? He couldn't and that is why he is no longer in the heat sink business. BTW I am offering them for $55.00 in mill finish. You can email me directly at fsmeier(at)telus.net

This guy has it exactly right. Unless you are making them by the thousands or tens of thousands offshore in some sweatshop, low production rate mechanical stuff like this always costs a mint.

Another good lesson is comparing this to say casting or injection molding. Every knows that such parts are cheap, right? But not if you are making only a few hundred. That's because developing the necessary tooling (mold design, etc.) can cost from $10K to $50K depending on complexity. So if you want your parts to cost a buck each to produce after amortization of the non-recurring engineering costs, wholesale for $10 and retail for $20, i.e. have nice profit margins, you better be making a lot of them!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The bottom line is that the factory heat sink is not adequate to dissipate the heat if you operate your KX3 at 10 watts in a high duty cycle mode.  

View Quote

Fixed it fer ya!  The radio works GREAT on SSB or CW at 10 watts and can handle both of those all day long.  It's digital modes with near 100% duty cycles that are highly susceptible to frequency drift that are at issue here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#50]
BigDaddy - while you are waiting for the arrival of the heat sink, can you try Digital at 10 watts with some popular modes that are known trouble makers to get a "before" state and post results?  Maybe screen shots of the waterfall drifting?  I think it would be awesome to get a pre experimental point of reference to see how much effect this has!

VERY much looking forward to your results!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top