Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2011 4:03:25 PM EDT
I have been working on placement all day long-and what I got just ain't gonna fit! (Kenwood TS50S too deep)
Green Spud 7 box

So here I sit all broken hearted....

I'm awaiting some 80/20 Aluminum to come in for the inside frame (for radio and control panel mount), then I will make final call on whether I can get it all in or not....if not, someone could get a deal on the foundation of a ECB.

Anyone have any leads on a less-expensive "Rack Mount" box? need about 14" deep and at least 11" high (inside dimensions)

QRV

80-/20 Now Listed in This EE Posting

Voltmeter Found Here

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't posted my EmComm box yet but I went with the IC7000 and tuner.  After looking at the real estate in the spud box, I decided to leave the batteries out.  Didn't want to, but that worked for me.  If I go in the field I'll have to carry a spare battery.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I haven't posted my EmComm box yet but I went with the IC7000 and tuner.  After looking at the real estate in the spud box, I decided to leave the batteries out.  Didn't want to, but that worked for me.  If I go in the field I'll have to carry a spare battery.

good thought....that is where the problem lies....batteries!
thanks for reminding me of the obvious
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I mounted the Samlex PS in the rear (bottom) right.  Rather than circuit breakers, which are a really good idea, I mounted a Rigrunner on the left back side.  Tuner is below the 7000 and even had room for a Kenwood mono band next to it.  Put in some led's from superbriteleds to light things up.  Also added a small muffin fan below the 7000 just in case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been working on placement all day long-and what I got just ain't gonna fit! (Kenwood TS50S too deep)
Green Spud 7 box

So here I sit all broken hearted....

I'm awaiting some 80/20 Aluminum to come in for the inside frame (for radio and control panel mount), then I will make final call on whether I can get it all in or not....if not, someone could get a deal on the foundation of a ECB.

Anyone have any leads on a less-expensive "Rack Mount" box? need about 14" deep and at least 11" high (inside dimensions)

QRV

I feel your pain, I was going to mount my tuner in the box but it is too big. It is an Icom AT-150, I knew it was a little big but trying to make due with what I have at the moment. I am building the slide in rack tomorrow will have to look for an LDG to make it work,
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

good thought....that is where the problem lies....batteries!
thanks for reminding me of the obvious

why not split the system into two pieces –– radio box and (a smaller) battery box.  you can use the radio box standalone if you have an AC power source, and you can use the battery box for other uses as well.   moreover, the radio box is lighter, which has it's benefits.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There just aren't too many situations I could envision where I wouldn't have access to some sort of 12 volt supply. I can't swing a dead cat in any direction without hitting half a dozen vehicles - and every one of them has a battery that could be scrounged in an emergency.

Then, there's the weight issue to consider - I didn't really want to permanently attach 4-12 pounds of lead to my radio...
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Those above responses are why I posted my frustration-Thanks guys!

(can I change my screen name to 'Captain Obvious'?

I use the MTM boxes for ammo storage, will try to grab one of those and move that way....guess this kinda coincides with my post on back-feeding 12v into the box in a different thread.

Got my Smile back on
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Rackmount boxes:

This is where I bought mine after shopping prices. They have SKB and Gator brands.

http://www.wwbw.com/SKB-Studio-Flyer-4-Space-Rack-545004-i1492618.wwbw

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a scuffed 6u SKB Ultimate Strength Series Roto Rack Case for $89.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I picked up a scuffed 6u SKB Ultimate Strength Series Roto Rack Case for $89.

If I could find something like that for less than $100 I'd bite :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those above responses are why I posted my frustration-Thanks guys!

(can I change my screen name to 'Captain Obvious'?

I use the MTM boxes for ammo storage, will try to grab one of those and move that way....guess this kinda coincides with my post on back-feeding 12v into the box in a different thread.

Got my Smile back on

The more i think about it the more I think I am going to run an ammo can for the batteries, I have 2 17ah AGM batteries and the weight of one alone makes the box much heavier. I am still waiting on some parts to come in, and have been making some revision on it.

Here are some preliminary pictures.

I am waiting on the power pole panel, the digital volt meter and the BNC bulkheads. I originally picked up the ones that are pictured but decided the BNC are a better idea. One thing I am going to do different is the breakers. Although I like the idea of the magnetic breakers, they are expensive and if they were to break finding replacement in a post SHTF world would not be easy. I am opting for a fuse panel, that uses ATC blade type fuses, and using thermal breakers. This way they auto reset and if they fail I can replace them with fuses. Although a failure would be unlikely for the marine breakers, being in the automotive industry I have a lot of little parts laying around. And there should be plenty of unused cars to scavenge parts off of.

I built mine with a rack, although it take up a little bit of room it can be pulled out at base camp allowing more airflow. It leaves a little bit of room for the clip board, connectors, maps, Frequency charts, ect. Since I have decided to go with a standalone battery box I am going to go ahead and mount my Icom AT-150 in the bottom, although it is large it gives me the option of a long wire and 3 antenna switch. And the motif of this box is use as much stuff that I already have first. I will later upgrade to the SGC antenna coupler.

A simple solar panel on the lid will allow me to charge the batteries with the lid open, I may add a second panel above it. Held in place with Velcro it can be pulled off and set somewhere with the battery allowing me to seal the radio box.

I am also going to incorporate into the switch panel a 1/4 mono plug for the CW key to plug into. Mine will be somewhat different but should work when it is done. I will post further pictures as it progresses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the way you repurposed that piece of cardboard.  Hams have a reputation of being thrifty and we all need to uphold the tradition.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the way you repurposed that piece of cardboard.  Hams have a reputation of being thrifty and we all need to uphold the tradition.  

LOL,

It just worries me if I happen to spill coffee on the box the switch panel will not hold up!
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using cardboard too for the mock up of course

Looking good!  keep up the pics!  My 80/20 should be in tomorrow....
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got one of these:

http://www.tac-comm.com/

That's a very good option. It may be a little on the expensive side but doable. Good find.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Try muscian stores, like Guitar Center or other similar local places for used transportable boxes.  I picked up a used SKB (or Gator - don't remember the brand) with 4U (1.75" per U) rack rails cheap that way years ago that I used to build a traveling network center: switches, routers, patchpanel and the travel bag it went into has a pouch on the side that I used for spare cables and adapters.  See: Gator GRB Rack Bag

GrinningWolf
In Chicago IL the elected officials don't understand simple english.  Otherwise they would not be so confused by "shall not be infringed".
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#18]
You might also want to look at

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

and as a cheaper alternative to Pelican cases:

http://www.seahorsecases.com/
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh now thats cool!!

Thank you  Mr. A_F_M
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh now thats cool!!

Thank you  Mr. A_F_M

Oh yeah, you just made my day! I've got some projects to work on now...
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a 6'x24' .025 sheet of aluminum and am using a Nibbling Cutter on it.  I need to get a labeler.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
every summer I get my hands on a vinyl plotter  last year I made a bunch of call signs for people. I'm not sure if it will happen this summer but if you keep your eyes out for a thread around the ed of july early august i might be taking requests

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh now thats cool!!

Thank you  Mr. A_F_M

Oh yeah, you just made my day! I've got some projects to work on now...

That program is awesom, and the panel will run about 45 bucks getting it done this way.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]
people,

I AM GETTING REALLY TIRED OF FOLKS MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE I DID.  

read the following carefully and consider the information presented...

if you plan on using your EMCOMM box PRIMARILY as part of a fixed station at home, turn my design upside down.  that's right, do it the other way around.  put the radios at the bottom and the switch/meter/cable panel at the top.  yes, you will have to figure out a way to dress the cables so they don't hang in the operating area.  BUT the benefit of making this change is that tuning around the HF bands looking for QSO's is at least one metric ton easier/less tiring if the radio is mounted at roughly desk level compared to being hung 10" in the air.  TRUST ME.

this completes my unsolicited public service announcement.  

yours and with warmest regards,
ar-jedi

my "old" home office in the last house...

and the same box /qrp-portable

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Just run your "upside down" box from HRD––problem solved!

Also, the box is probably even more "upside down" for portable applications as then you are more likely to be spinning that dial without a computer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
people,

if you plan on using your EMCOMM box PRIMARILY as part of a fixed station at home, turn my design upside down.  that's right, do it the other way around.  put the radios at the bottom and the switch/meter/cable panel at the top.  yes, you will have to figure out a way to dress the cables so they don't hang in the operating area.  BUT the benefit of making this change is that tuning around the HF bands looking for QSO's is at least one metric ton easier/less tiring if the radio is mounted at roughly desk level compared to being hung 10" in the air.  TRUST ME.

ar-jedi

my "old" home office in the last house...

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/computing/DSCN2861_sm.jpg

and the same box /qrp-portable

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/qrp/DSCN2993_sm.jpg

Hey, you beat me to it.....in this farce known as "building my EMCOMM Box", I was looking at things and thought-Hey, you need ur radios on the bottom (makes sense mounting as well with less stress pulling down on the wall of the box).and to add; wouldn't it allow further heat dissipation-hot air rises?  Thanks for chiming in ar-jedi and confirming what I had considered!

Back to the drawing board-again

good post y'all!

QRV
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey, you beat me to it.....in this farce known as "building my EMCOMM Box", I was looking at things and thought-Hey, you need ur radios on the bottom

my view:
if you are not tuning around a lot, the ergonomics and audio are better with the radios at the top.
if you are tuning around a lot, the ergonomics are better with the radios at the bottom.

Quoted:
wouldn't it allow further heat dissipation-hot air rises?

heat dissipation with be more or less equal either way.  if you are seeing higher than expected/wanted temperatures, use this passive cooling enhancement approach documented in the Big Thread of EMCOMM Box Knowledge:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=627490&page=6#10804270

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
people,

ar-jedi

Ergonomic...Smergonomic.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ergonomic...Smergonomic.  

that came out nice.  i recall mentioning this alternative approach to you some time ago, but didn't know you got the drill out.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ergonomic...Smergonomic.  

that came out nice.  i recall mentioning this alternative approach to you some time ago, but didn't know you got the drill out.

ar-jedi

Thanks, ar-jedi.  Yeah, it was several months ago that you mentioned the ergo advantage that this would provide, but I didn't follow up on it till this morning when I saw your recent post.  The camloc fasteners made it easy to change the panel orientation and the radios just needed a flip over in their mounts.  I think I'll like this way better.  I do most rig control with HRD, but this is much easier when doing manual tweaks.  Good call.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#31]

ps
what's atop your tuner?  little black box with the knobs.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#32]
what AWG wire and how much are you guys getting in the camping cloths line reels?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ps

ar-jedi

It's technical...

J/K!  It's an Autek Research RF Analyst Model RF-1.  Just a convenient place to keep it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's technical...

oh, and here i thought it was a stand-alone version of Angry Birds.

Quoted:
It's an Autek Research RF Analyst Model RF-1.  Just a convenient place to keep it.

i can't find the thread with your writeup, where is it?  
plus i am sure your detailed writeup includes measurements of the UnUn connected to a random wire sloper and counterpoise.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's technical...

oh, and here i thought it was a stand-alone version of Angry Birds.

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an Autek Research RF Analyst Model RF-1.  Just a convenient place to keep it.

i can't find the thread with your writeup, where is it?  
plus i am sure your detailed writeup includes measurements of the UnUn connected to a random wire sloper and counterpoise.  

ar-jedi

Ok, it's not technical.    
AFM let me borrow his when I was building  the coil loaded 80m dipole and the fence-top 80m antenna and I found it so handy I had to get one of my own.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
what AWG wire and how much are you guys getting in the camping cloths line reels?

I used 26awg stranded black insulated and got 50' on each reel with some room to spare.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used 26awg stranded black insulated and got 50' on each reel with some room to spare.

what bands can you run with that much wire without a tuner?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, you beat me to it.....in this farce known as "building my EMCOMM Box", I was looking at things and thought-Hey, you need ur radios on the bottom

my view:
if you are not tuning around a lot, the ergonomics and audio are better with the radios at the top.
if you are tuning around a lot, the ergonomics are better with the radios at the bottom.

Quoted:
wouldn't it allow further heat dissipation-hot air rises?

heat dissipation with be more or less equal either way.  if you are seeing higher than expected/wanted temperatures, use this passive cooling enhancement approach documented in the Big Thread of EMCOMM Box Knowledge:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=627490&page=6#10804270

ar-jedi

Taking that post into consideration I find it more ergonomical on my desk the way it is. I think it is because I do not have the box on the desk, instead I pull the rack out of the box and set it on the desk. I will play with it a little more and make sure before i order the panel for the switches. Of course I will have to change my configuration a tad when I change the tuner.

Dont worry ar-jedi, it is not your fault this time

Got to run and start studying for the extra test now
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dont worry ar-jedi, it is not your fault this time

FINALLY!

Quoted:
Got to run and start studying for the extra test now

good luck!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

this may help:
http://www.hamradiofun.com/yoyodeluxe.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this may help:
http://www.hamradiofun.com/yoyodeluxe.html

ar-jedi

I should have known. It's all your fault. working all over europe on 17 today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tried a few hardware stores for 26awg, and could not find it.  Online only or can I get it local?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have tried a few hardware stores for 26awg, and could not find it.  Online only or can I get it local?

used to have it at Radio Shack....do you have an electrical store nearby? or try to find a roll of speaker wire and spit it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wondering if using some of the silky or flexweave braided wire might allow for longer lengths.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]
This is the stuff I bought.  26awg Black Hook Up Wire  $5.99 / 100' spool.   From any distance it's very hard to see.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is the stuff I bought.  26awg Black Hook Up Wire  $5.99 / 100' spool.   From any distance it's very hard to see.

Alright BigDaddy-spill it!  Where'd you come up with the Radio Arfcom patch?!  Want one!
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Alright BigDaddy-spill it!  Where'd you come up with the Radio Arfcom patch?!  Want one!

MidwestJ de BigDaddy0004... SRI, Mucho QSB QSB... Tnx fer short QSO... 73 and best wishes to you and your family...  SK SK

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ps

ar-jedi

It's a little pocket size (literally, fits in my shirt pocket) antenna analyzer.  Runs off a 9v battery.  MUCH smaller and handier than one of the big MFJ's for portable use.  Fits in the kit easily, too.

When I was designing and tweaking my Field Day Antenna I asked to borrow the club president's antenna analyzer.  She apologized about not being able to loan me her MFJ 259, but it was back at MFJ for the third time.  She loaned me her little Autek RF-1 and it worked like a charm for me.  

You can either set it on Frequency, and dial it up and down and find the lowest SWR, or dial it to a particular frequency and then read the SWR.  Also reads C, L, and Z.  

Mine came in my Christmas stocking.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps

ar-jedi

It's a little pocket size (literally, fits in my shirt pocket) antenna analyzer.  Runs off a 9v battery.  MUCH smaller and handier than one of the big MFJ's for portable use.  Fits in the kit easily, too.

When I was designing and tweaking my Field Day Antenna I asked to borrow the club president's antenna analyzer.  She apologized about not being able to loan me her MFJ 259, but it was back at MFJ for the third time.  She loaned me her little Autek RF-1 and it worked like a charm for me.  

You can either set it on Frequency, and dial it up and down and find the lowest SWR, or dial it to a particular frequency and then read the SWR.  Also reads C, L, and Z.  

Mine came in my Christmas stocking.  

$140?

im sold. been in the market for an analyzer too.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
as I continue to rip-off everyone's ideas:

1/2" ply-wood....3/8 threaded rod.....5/8 AL tube....voila!

nice to get a start!

Yes BD-come off on the patch info.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top