Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2008 2:47:13 PM EDT
After spending way to much time reading this forum, looking at Ar-jedi's communications box and trying to decide exactly what I wanted in mine, I finally decided which way I wanted to go.

Although not complete, here it is...

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/LWCOMM/Picture116.jpg

I was going back and forth with putting my FT-817 in the box or purchasing either a IC-703, IC-706 or an FT-857. (All great radios) Funding is limited for purchasing another radio at the moment and the problem I had with the FT-817 was that it can be difficult to make contacts with on an average day.

I feel the FT-817 is great on receive and would be very valuable in a true SHTF situation but for simple everyday use QRP is somewhat difficult. It is fun to make contacts on and is great for taking out in a backpack.

In the end I decided that I wanted to be able to take my portable box and go somewhere other than my home QTH (location) and make contacts as confidently as if I was home. In order to do this I figured I didn't need to buy a new radio, just put the one I was confident in into the box. Thus the IC-718 was and still is my primary HF rig.
I also figured that in almost every case I would probably have AC power available.  

The FT-8800 on the bottom is a great dual band radio that allows me several options including using it as a cross band repeater.

Power poles are a great way to go and they allow me to change or swap things out very quickly. The Rigrunner is fused and I have a couple of other Rigrunner’s I could swap out in a minute if I was having a problem.

The LDG Autotuner on the left allow me two antennas for HF and also has the power and SWR meters that helps me to see immediately if it looks like I am having issues.

I plan on adding a panel on the lower right for my antenna connections as well as a better hookup for AC power and for DC power.

It seems like everything in HAM radio is a tradeoff, you simply can’t have it all! With that said I think I have come up with a solution for a portable box that suites my needs. I can go to someone else’s place with a portable antenna and be up in running in minutes. Any thoughts or opinions on my solution would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

I need to build mine yet
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Great looking box!

I have to find a way to fit in my 857, 8800, and Alinco DR235 into one, and keep it clean still.

How is that Radio Shack power supply working for you?

I run off of a Marine Batt, but Im thinking of picking up a power supply, and right now the local RS is running a sale on that model.

Link Posted: 9/29/2008 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had that power supply for about six months with no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top