Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:
I miss all the good stuff.  Stupid work getting in the way of the really important things.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:

...at least you got your 87 in the post.  :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:
ETA
my truck battery is deader than hillary's campaign and i took it out on dave.

...at least you got your 87 in the post.  :)

alas, this battery lasted january 2007 --> september 2015.  8 years 9 months.  so close to 87...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Whew!

Since ar-jedii is cool with it, I'll leave it up with read-only privileges for all at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwmFA7JSaMlzEASxOahwVIAeCx3wp-0_PEYSkZzP2ck/edit#gid=0.

ar-jedi: If you PM or email me your Google ID I can give you editor privileges.

Likewise, I have created a public folder on my Google Drive, so if anyone wants to host a document related to this forum let me know.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#5]
Originally Posted By Forest:

THAT is a winning idea!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Forest:
t.  to that end i always meant to add a flip side graphic of "field expedient antennas" (including wire lengths, supports, and such)

THAT is a winning idea!

who will answer this call to arms from 2013?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/668178__ARCHIVED_THREAD____EmComm_Frequency_Reference_Card_Update.html&page=2#i11421025

ETA
dammmmmmnnnnn... 2 years to-the-(off-by-one)-day!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
<snip>
alas, this battery lasted january 2007 --> september 2015.  8 years 9 months.  so close to 87...
<snip>
View Quote

Holy crap! This is unheard of in AZ. I have a preventative maintenance cycle of 24 months regardless of how the
battery tests, and I carry a whole spare battery if I'm going away from civilization. I can't even wrap my head around
8 years on one battery.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread resides at the top with the other Important Threads.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By seek2:

Holy crap! This is unheard of in AZ. I have a preventative maintenance cycle of 24 months regardless of how the
battery tests, and I carry a whole spare battery if I'm going away from civilization. I can't even wrap my head around
8 years on one battery.
View All Quotes
<snip>
<snip>

8 years on one battery.

Meh, just park at the top of the hill so you'll at least be able to bump start it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:

Meh, just park at the top of the hill so you'll at least be able to bump start it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
<snip>
<snip>

8 years on one battery.

Phoenix is at the bottom of a hill.

I'm in agreement, 2 years is about what I get out of mine. I usually wait, but I'll probably swap the next one in the Jeep* preventatively, since I'm doing a long trip in Moab. (It's working, but seems weak)

I've gotten a little more out of batteries that are stored behind the back seat (Audi, MB), and thus are not as exposed to the environment. But regular batteries... it's been about 1/year in vehicles with those.

*-The Jeep has been 2 or 3, right now. But it's NOT a DD anymore, and I've been pretty good about driving it at least 1-2 times/week. About as easy as it gets for a battery.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]

8 years on one battery.
View All Quotes
<snip>
<snip>

8 years on one battery.

some of your neighbors in AZ are claiming far longer replacement intervals:  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1341710_Had_to_replace_my_OEM_battery_in_my_BMW_____10_years_later.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Related to the Emcomm reference card, good info to include in your kit:

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1341710_Had_to_replace_my_OEM_battery_in_my_BMW_____10_years_later.html

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
<snip>
<snip>

8 years on one battery.

ar-jedi

My 02 Dodge Cummins still has the factory batteries in it.

I don't know how.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: qwertie] [#13]
Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I just replaced the battery in my wife's car today... I wonder if I should have kept it for radio use.... whatever I got my $12 core fee back so screw it

And I just looked at the frequency chart... looks like it could use a few updates.  Do we really have a daily 40m net?  Not that I've heard...

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Changed the 40m Guard Freq and hosting on HR360 till a better solution is found.

ARFcom Ham EMCOMM Freq Sheet 9/14/18
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
Changed the 40m Guard Freq and hosting on HR360 till a better solution is found.

ARFcom Ham EMCOMM Freq Sheet 9/14/18
View Quote
Thanks for doing that, Cale.  I saw your mention of that in the other thread, but have been busy lately and not had a chance to run down who's the latest EmComm Freq List editor/host.
73 de Greg (BD)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#17]
yessir!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I just found this thread. Great idea and well thought out. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just ask here. How long can you expect to cross band repeat on a car battery and still be able to start the car.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#19]
Originally Posted By Lead-slinger:
I just found this thread. Great idea and well thought out. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just ask here. How long can you expect to cross band repeat on a car battery and still be able to start the car.
View Quote
Too many variables.  Size of the car battery in question, for one.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-11/battery-ratings/

Figure a typical mobile radio will pull 11 ish amps when transmitting at full power.  And a half-amp or so standby.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
In a late model Ford E350 about 2 days......ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
That sounds like the suck factor might have been high.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I vote we need to add the JS8 call 40m/ 20M and 80M freq to the list.

Along with the DMR Arfcoms TG and possible a DMR simplex freq / TG.

So

JS8 @ARFCOM Group Name

40M 7.078 Primary
20M 14.078 Secondary
80M 3.578

DMR TGIF Network TG 556

DMR Simplex Possibly use same UHF freqs?
Time slot 1 556
Time slot 2 762

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
I vote we need to add the JS8 call 40m/ 20M and 80M freq to the list. 

Along with the DMR Arfcoms TG and possible a DMR simplex freq / TG. 

So 

JS8 @ARFCOM Group Name 

40M 7.078 Primary 
20M 14.078 Secondary 
80M 3.578 

DMR TGIF Network TG 556 

DMR Simplex Possibly use same UHF freqs? 
Time slot 1 556 
Time slot 2 762

Thoughts? 

View Quote

I thoght Olivia was the mode of choice for Arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Still is, JS8 is a great addition tho
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

I thoght Olivia was the mode of choice for Arfcom.
View Quote

Probably was 10yrs ago I think the features of JS8 far out weight that of what Olivia have to offer.

The program is simpler than trying to set up PSK on FLdigi or HRD. And the networking features ad a huge bonus than any other mode (to my knowledge) have to offer.

Im not suggesting we get rid of Olivia by any means just add JS8 to the list.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gyprat] [#26]
I see. Just curious. It's been about 5 years since I used any digital modes. Just can't get excited about it. I do need to set it up and ready, possibly for the next emm. comm drill. I'm very good at procrastinating tho.

ADD JS8 TO THE LIST!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I see. Just curious. It's been about 5 years since I used any digital modes. Just can't get excited about it. I do need to set it up and ready, possibly for the next emm. comm drill. I'm very good at procrastinating tho.

ADD JS8 TO THE LIST!!!!!!    
View Quote

Well JS8 is not super thrilling I’ll give it that. It’s a weak signal utility mode that has its place in the tool box. Program is free and if one can setup Wsjtx then you can set up JS8. Very simple and a lot of Youtube videos on the topic.

I imagine in 10 more years we will see another revision to this list discussing which Digital Voice HF mode I hope.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Well JS8 is not super thrilling I’ll give it that. It’s a weak signal utility mode that has its place in the tool box. Program is free and if one can setup Wsjtx then you can set up JS8. Very simple and a lot of Youtube videos on the topic. 

I imagine in 10 more years we will see another revision to this list discussing which Digital Voice HF mode I hope.
View Quote

I think JS8 would be useful to alert people that an emergency net has been activated.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Back to the spread sheet, I need to be able to print this in a larger format. May we get the list in a larger font size?
Rob
Originally Posted By Jazzemt:
I plan on making this a laminated sheet in my grab bag. 

i attempted to make it so that it can be printed, cut out, and folded in half vertically.
let me know if i failed.

ar-jedi
View Quote

@ar-jedi
In all seriousness the print size is way too small and would be horrid in poor lighting, if possible lets get it rearranged. tnx
Rob
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

I think JS8 would be useful to alert people that an emergency net has been activated.
View Quote

Does JS8 even support audio alerts?

Even if it did, your computer's audio is feeding your radio - so there isn't any way of hearing any alert generated by your computer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

I think JS8 would be useful to alert people that an emergency net has been activated.
View Quote

That is if you leave your radios running all the time. It may work somewhere in Arizona, where it rains once per year. My radios are turned off and disconnected from antennas and power when I leave the shack. It doesn't matter what grounding or lightning protection is installed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#33]

That is if you leave your radios running all the time. It may work somewhere in Arizona, where it rains once per year. My radios are turned off and disconnected from antennas and power when I leave the shack. It doesn't matter what grounding or lightning protection is installed.
View Quote

I was thinking of turning it on if it looked like an emergency was inbound or if something happened.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I leave mine on all the time excluding storms. Need a loop antenna for indoors use.

For y’all who are not familiar with the program and have some time check this video out.

NFARL JS8Call Presentation 2019-02-19
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny, the SHARES group recently formed a JS8Call team (that I'm on) to look at the feasibility of using JS8Call as an alerting mechanism. Personally, I think it's a great digital mode when propagation sucks like it does now. From here in south Texas along the Gulf Coast, I can usually be heard from west coast to east coast. Perhaps not great, but well enough for a decode and display on PSKreporter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Does JS8 even support audio alerts?

Even if it did, your computer's audio is feeding your radio - so there isn't any way of hearing any alert generated by your computer.
View Quote

You can, actually. There in the audio settings you determine what sounds do what and want sounds come out of what speakers.....at least on my CAT controlled IC7100.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Derail---;;;;AMRRON has a pretty good hold on the persistent presence nets along with mulit-mode single rig operating.  Their sys-ops is a mile deep and 3 wide, but it works and is quite impressive. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Does JS8 even support audio alerts?

Even if it did, your computer's audio is feeding your radio - so there isn't any way of hearing any alert generated by your computer.
View Quote

Depending on your computer / radio setup this may not be true.

Within JS8CALL you can configure different audio devices for different purposes.  The USB Audio (when using Signalink or IC-7300) for the radio, and internal speakers for alerts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
Derail---;;;;AMRRON has a pretty good hold on the persistent presence nets along with mulit-mode single rig operating.  Their sys-ops is a mile deep and 3 wide, but it works and is quite impressive. YMMV
View Quote

Gave them a google and holy crap. lol They have alot going on with SOPs code names etc.. Pretty cool.

https://amrron.com/about/
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#40]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

You can, actually. There in the audio settings you determine what sounds do what and want sounds come out of what speakers.....at least on my CAT controlled IC7100.
View Quote

Just discovered that, in the SETTINGS/AUDIO and SETTINGS/NOTIFICATIONS sub-menus.

It doesn't give you the option to only get notification sounds from a particular group callsign (or list of group callsigns), but it's still much better than not getting notifications at all.

Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

Depending on your computer / radio setup this may not be true.

Within JS8CALL you can configure different audio devices for different purposes.  The USB Audio (when using Signalink or IC-7300) for the radio, and internal speakers for alerts.
View Quote

True. The IC7300 is it's own audio device.  :)
Also, there's nothing that says you can't have multiple audio adapters in a PC.  They even make little USB ones.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Are we using an @ARFCOM group callsign for JS8 yet?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Are we using an @ARFCOM group callsign for JS8 yet?
View Quote

Yep been using it for a few months now. I know myself and 1-2 others stay on monitoring it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool - Just added it to my list.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Gentlemen,
 Could I ask for you valuable assistance.  I have 2 baofeng 5R2 radios.  O do not have my Ham licenses yet but got my gmrs a couple of weeks ago.  Do you if my model is capable of being used for gmrs communications.   And if so how could I go about selecting the frequency to do it?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TrueBlueTexan:
Gentlemen,
 Could I ask for you valuable assistance.  I have 2 baofeng 5R2 radios.  O do not have my Ham licenses yet but got my gmrs a couple of weeks ago.  Do you if my model is capable of being used for gmrs communications.   And if so how could I go about selecting the frequency to do it?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

See here for GMRS frequencies

I don't think the Baofangs are technically legal for use on FRS/GMRS frequencies due to the power range and removable antenna.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TrueBlueTexan:
Gentlemen,

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

It will do GMRS. Yes, they are not technically legal but I've never heard of anyone who got in trouble because of this. Just make sure to set the correct frequency and TX bandwidth.

BTW, dual band Baofengs will also work on MURS frequencies. No license required. Just like GMRS, no one ever got in trouble for using a Baofeng on those channels. Just saying, for emergency and educational purposes. ;)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Now that I'm fully digital (minus Allstar), is there an updated sheet?  The latest one I have is nearing 3 years old.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#49]
With Chinesium USB sound adapters at under 10 bucks a  pop, it's easy for the non-7300 crowd to have a dedicated sound card for their rig and retain the internal pc sound device for speakers, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#50]
The shortwave broadcasters section is nearly wiped from the earth now, BBC is the only one left broadcasting on the Freq list. Not sure if anything is worth putting on instead, Radio New Zealand or a VOA transmitter is about it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top