Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePrepared_com] [#1]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Originally Posted By ThePrepared_com:
Besides all the extra accessories what would be the advantage of a 370 over the 170? I may order one for the accessories alone but am curious if there are any advantages to this radio?

the HX370S is a type-certified channelized land mobile radio which may be legally used on MURS, marine, LMR, and amateur frequencies.  it also has a few handy features, e.g. NOAA WX alert.  the HX370S can not be field programmed by the operator; should a new frequency be needed for whatever reason, the radio must be connected to a PC and reprogrammed.  because of the channelized mode of operation, the HX370S is simple to operate -- turn radio on, press the up/down arrow buttons to select a pre-programmed channel, depress the PTT button, and speak.  release the PTT button to listen.  the HX370S has a single mode of operation: memory.  there is no VFO mode.

the VX170 is a non-type-certified frequency-agile amateur radio which may only be legally used on amateur frequencies in the 2M band (144-148MHz).  it has many handy features.  the VX170 can be operator-tuned in the field to RX on any frequency in the 137-174MHz range, and can be operator-tuned in the field to TX on any frequency in the 144-148MHz range.  while pre- or re-programming the VX170 with an PC is a time saver, especially with lots of memory assignments, it is by no means necessary.  every function of the radio can be set/reset using the front panel, including operating frequency and memory channel assignments.  the VX170 has two modes of operation, memory and VFO.

what didn't i cover in my review above that has you wondering?

ar-jedi

Sheesh!  It's like you retyped the review  I guess I was trying to figure out what the advantage would be for me.  But it seems that there really wouldn't be any advantage for me.  In an emergency an open VX-170 would do everything the 370 can do and more.  Though I'll probably pick up a 370 for the accessories
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Grog:
You'd need the cable to program

grog,

are you using a commercial cable or a DIY cable?  
if commercial, what vendor/PN?

i ask because that is the next question to come up here.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By ThePrepared_com:
Besides all the extra accessories what would be the advantage of a 370 over the 170?

I may order one for the accessories alone but am curious if there are any advantages to this radio?

#1 it's a simple to use radio, for those who may let someone who is not "into radios".  I have mine programmed as such, so I can hand one to someone who won't have a radio of their own.  Less stuff to learn, the better.

#2 If you want/need to use VHF marine or VHF business/public safety freqs, you can do so.  So many people just mod their ham rig, but the filtering in a part 90 certified rig will almost always work out as a better operating radio.  

more to follow, gotta run....

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:32:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#4]

grog,

ar-jedi

I used a commercial VX7R yaesu cable, borrowed from another ham  
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]

grog,

ar-jedi

I used a commercial VX7R yaesu cable, borrowed from another ham  

Hot dog!
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Ref the ability to use 12VDC directly into the 370, is there a schematic available to compare power condx ckty with the VX170?

i have not seen a schematic for this radio.

my thinking was that i would use the 6xAA battery pack as a proxy; the only available way to get power into the HX370S is via the battery input contacts which can be seen on the back of the radio with the battery pack removed.  so my idea was to wire up the empty 6xAA battery pack to an external 12Vdc source such that once in place, the contacts on the 6xAA pack would carry current from the wire to the radio.  if any RF filtering etc is needed, it can be done in the ample space internal to the 6xAA battery pack.  

my only question is whether the circuitry behind the radio's battery contacts can accomodate a 12Vdc input.  the stock NiMH battery is 7.2Vdc, and the 6xAA pack puts out the same (6x1.2=7.2Vdc).   so i'm not sure that a direct 12Vdc can be used.

ar-jedi

How about using one of these DC to DC converters built into a battery holder?

MAX15020

2A, 40V Step-Down DC-DC Converter with Dynamic Output-Voltage Programming

Low-Cost, 7.5V to 40V Input, 2A, 500kHz Step-Down DC-DC Converter

datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX15020.pdf

It would be small, easy to layout the PCB with traces specifically to make this pkg friendlier to solder, filter the input and output well to remove harmonics of the sw'ing freq. I can give suggestions of how to lay out the pin area to make hand soldering easy.

Cost would be low if someone here could do the PCB layout and have bds made.

Use double sided PCB with provision for soldering a shield to top and/or bottom for RFI suppression.

On board fuse link that is repairable in the field w/ minimal tools.

The voltage rating of the chip would allow ops to >28 VDC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]

It would be small, easy to layout the PCB

damn -- the  MAX15020 EVkit is about 1/4" too wide:
datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX15020EVKIT.pdf

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]

It would be small, easy to layout the PCB

damn -- the  MAX15020 EVkit is about 1/4" too wide:
datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX15020EVKIT.pdf

ar-jedi

Cut off the side next to C6.

But RFI filter ckty will still need to be added, no big deal, piggy back the eval board onto a main board with LP input and output filters.

That board could be a non-etched one, with filter components tacked to the ground plane. Each filter would need 3 chip caps and 2 inductors, small torroids to keep DC resistive loses down.

Looks like eval bd doesn't have a good ground plane...

Cost of the eval bd?
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks like eval bd doesn't have a good ground plane

see figure 4.

Cost of the eval bd?

on monday i'll ask the maxim guy for a couple to play with.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Looks like eval bd doesn't have a good ground plane

see figure 4.

Cost of the eval bd?

on monday i'll ask the maxim guy for a couple to play with.

ar-jedi

Missed that. A few 100 pf chips sprinkled around the gaps should help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#11]
ok, so far i have found only two limitations with this radio:

(1) the aforementioned "no direct 12Vdc input jack"
and
(2) lack of an APO (auto power off) setting.

regarding (2), most amateur HT's permit setting an APO function to 0.5hrs, 1hr, 2hrs, etc, so the batteries are not accidentally drained.  the HX370S does not have this feature, or at least it is not documented in the manual (link to PDF -- 1.6MB).

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I never noticed the APO as all I use are commercial HTs anyway, and the few times I used the Icom T2H in the last few years I got tired of it turning itself off.  Guess I see no APO as a good thing for my uses
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Guess I see no APO as a good thing for my uses

well, a proper APO implementation is disabled by default, and can be enabled for a set of fixed intervals.  so a radio with an APO feature can still stay on forever -- just disable APO.   i'd say that Icom engineers are morons if left they that little tidbit out of your HT.  i would be surprised if they did -- check your manual.

ar-jedi

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/yaesu-vx6r/VX-6R_UserManual.pdf

Set Mode Item 1 [APO]
Function: Setting of the Automatic Power-Off feature.
Available Values: OFF/30MIN/1HOUR/3HOUR/5HOUR/8HOUR
Default: OFF

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/yaesu-vx170/VX-170_Manual.pdf

Set Mode Item 1 [APO]
Function: Setting of the Automatic Power-Off feature.
Available Values: OFF / 0.5H - 12.0 H in 0.5 hour multiples
Default: OFF

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/yaesu-ft8800r/FT-8800R.pdf

Menu #1 [APO]
Function: Selects the Automatic Power Off time (time before power goes off).
Available Values: OFF/0.5 H – 12.0 H in 0.5 hour multiples.
Default: OFF (Disables the APO feature)

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/icom-v8000/icom-v8000-manual.pdf

Auto power OFF
The transceiver can be set to automatically turn OFF after a
specified period with a beep when no key operations are performed.
30 min., 1 hour, 2 hours and OFF (default) can be specified.
The specified period is retained even when the transceiver is
turned OFF by the auto power OFF function. To cancel the
function, select “OF” in this set mode.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]

the few times I used the Icom T2H in the last few years I got tired of it turning itself off.

RTFM much?  

www.icomamerica.com/support/manuals/ic-t2h.pdf

Auto power OFF
This item allows you to set a time at
which the transceiver will automatically
turn OFF. The power OFF time
can be set to 20, 40, 60 min. or turned
off.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I know it has it now, just didn't like having it turned on in the beginning.  The biggest issue was not being able to find the manual for awhile right after I bought it  
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Just a bump for my friends, if anyone is looking for a standalone 440 HT to use with the HX370S or VX170, here is a VX177 on ebay.    

I am only posting this here as I have delt with him several times on the batlabs forum, and I would trust him 110%.  He's selling this to standardize on the Icom 82 series (he has a commercial version already for work, plus the desire to try out the D-star in his area).  

cgi.ebay.com/Yaesu-VX-177-440MHz-UHF-HT-complete-mint-cond_W0QQitemZ330170239725QQihZ014QQcategoryZ40069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my HX370S but it was a few $$$ more expensive... Sale was over.

Now to find time to pgm it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Got my HX370S but it was a few $$$ more expensive... Sale was over.

Now to find time to pgm it.

Eh? Still the same price the place we bought them: $107.89
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]

well, how many HX370S owners do we have now?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]

well, how many HX370S owners do we have now?  

ar-jedi

I just lit the candle on one...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Will the programming cable for the VX-170 work on the HX370S? Also where is the best place to purchase the programming software for the HX370S? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By jagibson81:
Will the programming cable for the VX-170 work on the HX370S?

yes -- it's the exact same setup.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you know where I can get the programming software for the HX370S?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Do you know where I can get the programming software for the HX370S?

i sent you the url to the store via IM.  
click on "Unread Messages" in the upper right hand corner of your screen

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grog] [#26]
Here's a new one for sale on RR. I have talked with this guy and trust him, in fact I was thinking of a trade for his HT and some cash for something I have, but I know he needs the cash for another project so I'll try to help him make money instead of spending it  

Not sure if a non-RR member can click the e-mail link to him but I can shoot him a PM with your info if you wish.  

Tell ya what guys - offer a DEAL for somebody $100 shipped with your programmed channels OR $85 shipped with factory specs. Need the money - only reason I'm parting with it.

He said it comes with everything, he just opened the box to make sure it worked.  He works at Ocean Isle Beach NC so I bet he didn't have to wait long to hear something.  In fact, he works about 1200ft from where I used to live  

www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87812

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Have any of you guys had an issue with the audio dropping out for a few seconds at a time?   It's only happening on one CH, so I assume it's a codeplug glitch, but figured I'd ask.  When I get a cable of my own I will just load another codeplug to see if that fixed it.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#28]
height=8
It is just like programming a LMR radio, program the TX freq, program the RX freq, set the RX & TX CTCSS/DCS, and the alphatag.  

I'll shoot you a PM about the other thing.....

I just picked up a HX370 and also have this same question...

Can it programming through the keypad or do you have to have to the ct-111 cable and software?    Ill shoot you a PM about this as well.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#29]
RX and TX back to ya
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 1:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caverspencer] [#30]
If I am not mistaken I need either a Standard Horizon  CT111 cable or a VX7R yaesu cable  will work too correct?

What is the best price for one of these?  

EDIT:  found this one online  http://valley-ent.com/catalog/yaesu-vx6r-vx7r-vx6r-vx7r-radio-programming-cable-p-129.html?cPath=44&language=en

1- will that cable work?  
2- is that a good price?
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 7:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#31]

Originally Posted By caverspencer:
If I am not mistaken I need either a Standard Horizon  CT111 cable or a VX7R yaesu cable  will work too correct?

any VX6, VX7, VX170 or similar cable will work.

also, if you know how to operate a soldering iron, you can make one for about $7.50 or so.
reply if you want the details.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I want the details. I would much rather make my own cable than buy one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#33]
height=8
height=8

any VX6, VX7, VX170 or similar cable will work.

also, if you know how to operate a soldering iron, you can make one for about $7.50 or so.
reply if you want the details.

ar-jedi

Yes of course I would like the details if you would be so kind.  Ill shoot you a PM wiht my email adress if that is easier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
look around herelink

and here

link 2

Pretty much okay with anything from Standard Horizon or Icom.

Thanks to members this is not essential but out of curiousiy I looked at both links and darned if I can find anything.

How about a hint?
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont have a cable yet  but I am playing with the software and have a couple of questions with the programming:

How do I know whether I should be using Wide (5Khz) or Narrow (2.5Khz)deviation?  
For 2M Ham frequencies which should I use?  
An example is a repeater with an RX of 147.120  +600 offset  Tone 103.5hz.     Or either just simplex of the 146.520.    Which should I use?

For SAR frequencies which should I use?

Also trying to interpret my SAR channel plan.  Here is an example:
CH: 2
Description: F2 west
TX: 154.170
Offset:  -4.260
Tone: 25(162.2)
RX: 158.970

I think i understand it all except the Tone.   I am guessing the 25 is the TX DCS tone of 25N,  and the (162.2) is the TX CTCSS?     However I can only choose one or the other,  not both.     Same thing applies to the RX tone  but I don't think RX tones are used much.    So my guess would be that I just need a CTCSS TX tone of 162.2  and it would work?    

Thoughts???

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#36]

ok, since i have 4 IM's asking for the same info:

background...
in the dark ages of computers, a serial PC-to-peripheral interface protocol called RS232 was developed.  RS232 uses bipolar signalling (-15Vdc to 15Vdc) and uses inverted logic (a low @ -15Vdc is a binary "1").  RS232 has survived until recently, being displaced on most laptops and some desktops by USB (universal serial bus).  USB has several advantages, namely much higher data rates and the fact that the USB connector also can supply power to the peripheral.  to support "legacy" peripherals, USB to RS232 "dongles" are available, converting a newfangled USB port into it's much slower forefather.  

most modern radios have programming interfaces which use TTL signalling.  TTL is shorthand for transistor-transistor logic, and is unipolar (0vdc to 5Vdc) with normal logic (a low @ 0Vdc is a binary "0").  as you can see, TTL differs from RS232 in that the logic is opposite, and the signalling voltages are different.  to connect a TTL-based radio to a RS232 host requires some work.

for this job we need a level-and-logic converter.  fortunately, the very same type of device  used on a PC motherboard to convert the motherboard's TTL logic to a rear panel RS232 port can be employed to convert back -- that is taking the RS232 and giving us back TTL.  the most common device for this purpose is one of a famliy from Maxim (no, not that Maxim! the other company that makes integrated circuits.)  although not quite completely correct, these devices are known simply as level converters.  

moving on...
Maxim's MAX232 products and related derivative level converters make our job easy.  in fact, one such device, the MAX233, requires so few external components to make a radio interface.  moreover, radios actually use just two wires on the TTL side; TX and RX are carried on the same wire, and the other wire is ground.  nothing could be simpler.

i want to point out one thing -- although the PC interface connectors on various radios differ, they can all use the same level converter circuit.  in other words, you can use a "build once, connect many" approach to this project by putting some type of connector on the radio end of the level converter.  then, you just need to make up the right cable for a given radio.  i have used the level converter circuit described below with the Icom V8000, Yaesu VX6R, Yaesu VX170, Yaesu FT8800, and the Standard/Horizon HX370S.

i mentioned prior that one limitation of the RS232 port is that it does not supply power to the attached peripheral.  this creates a situation wherein powering the level converter is either a little tricky or dead straightforward.  the level converter device draws so little power that it is sometimes possible to power it from a couple of RS232 handshaking pins, but this does not always work (especially with laptop serial ports).  in case of difficulty, the level converter board must be powered by external 5Vdc.  you can either use a 5Vdc output wall wart, or you can carve up a USB cable and use a USB port to provide the 5Vdc.

the following DIY level converter directly replaces an Icom OPC-478 and also the cable that Yaesu supplies with their OEM programming software.

many of you know that the Icom OPC-478 cable needed to program the Icom V8000 using a PC is quite expensive, ranging from $39 to $49 or so. (i would like to point out the irony that the programming cable is priced at 1/4 of the retail of the entire V8000 transceiver. i imagine Icom makes more profit margin on the cable than the transceiver.)

i built an OPC-478 cable substitute today and i just wanted to post a few details for the next guy to go down this road. there are quite a few DIY designs floating around, with several variants. some use discrete transistors and other use RS232 level translator IC's, for example the max232 and max 233. i wanted to try the max233 approach because, well, i thought it to be the most elegant and it had the fewest parts of all the designs i found on the 'net. :*)

the basic schematic i used is the following, with one errata which i will explain a bit later:
http://www.zorg.org/radio/max233md.gif

as you can see there are a minimum of parts.

step 1, procuring the parts:
the hardest is the max233. you can use a max232, however the max232 requires external capacitors for the 15Vdc/-15Vdc charge pumps. the max233 has internal charge pump capacitors, and thus requires 4 fewer parts than an equivalent max232 design. the max233 doesn't appear, however, on the hooks at radio shack nor anyplace else that i've looked.

fortunately, Maxim will send you 2 FREE samples of any parts you want, including the max233 -- that's one more than you need. just go to
www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?pdf_num=1798
then
www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1798/t/or
and scroll down to where it says "Request Samples".
specifically you want a "MAX233CPP".  use the "Sample Cart" to "checkout".  

you'll have to fill out a form with your name and address etc for them to send the part(s) to you, but it's all very simple. for the questions regarding the intended use, just put down "Education" or "Research". your parts will arrive in about 3 days via the USPS -- it could not be simpler. make sure that you specify the EXACT package that you want; i find the DIP parts easier to use when doing projects like this. otherwise you may end up getting the SOIC package and that will require the use of a magnifying glass. (i should point out that you would do well to "sample" any other maxim/dallas parts you are interested in. it's always handy to have an extra max232 laying around, plus the odd adjustable voltage regulator). you can of course also order devices directly from maxim, using the shopping cart application on their web page.

for the rest of the parts, radio shack has them. i really only needed to get the 5.1V zener (radio shack cat# 276-565 / 1N4733A) as i had everything else in my parts bin. but i also picked up a PCB-mounted 1/8" stereo jack, and a 6' long 1/8" stereo patch cable (w/ plugs on both ends). total outlay was around US$7. this is on the high end, if you don't construct it like i did you can come away for about half that. i wanted the patch cable so i could directly clone a pair of V8000's as well. if you make up the patch cable yourself, using connectors from radio shack and some spare wire, it comes out more expensive than just buying the patch cable outright.

step 2, construction:
i used a small piece of perfboard to mount everything onto, along with a DB9 on the end of a ribbon cable leftoever from a prior project. see these pictures of my setup:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/icom-v8000/

as you can see, all of the components mount topside, with point to point wiring on the bottom. i employed a 20 pin socket to wire to, then inserted the max233 after everything was tested. speaking of, after completing the soldering, first check for a power to ground short. then, plug the adapter into your COM port and measure that the +5V rail is correct. this voltage *may* only appear when the Icom SW is running and trying to talk to the radio, as the adpater requires that DTR and CTS are asserted (+10v). otherwise, you may notice no voltage. now unplug the adapter and insert the max233.

step 3, testing:
my enthusiasm for the max233 design dropped significantly when it initially didn't work. i checked and rechecked my wiring, buzzed out all of the connections from the DB9, and so on. initially i suspected the RS232 (PC) side of the max233, but my voltmeter confirmed everything was as it should be. i noticed a few things about the TTL (radio) side. namely, my logic analyzer told me that data was going from the PC to the radio when i hit the "Connect" button on Icom's software. but for some reason, the radio was evidently not responding. i thought perhaps that my (new) radio had a defective port, or the cable that i purchased at radio shack was defective. however, by disconnecting the radio from the adapter, and just plugging the cable into the radio, i could run a simple test. go into clone mode (see your users manual) and initiate a "clone out". the radio will send data out the port, regardless of whether it is connected to anything. low and behold, my logic analyzer (connected with clip leads to the far end of the unterminated patch cable) captured the pulses. so the cable and radio were both good.

i began to wonder if there wasn't a contention problem on the TTL end. the Icom "1 wire bus" connection requires that each end alternate relinquishing the "bus" so that the other end can talk. indeed, a little more inspection showed that the max233 TTL output driver was holding the bus high when the radio wanted to speak to the PC. this is easily solved by introducing a diode (another 1N4148 or 1N914) into the schematic, as shown below:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/icom-v8000/opc478-via-max233-mod1_sm.jpg

with this new diode in place, the circuit worked perfectly. i'm not sure whether the omission of this diode is due to my new vintage radio, or an oversight with the schematic i found on the web, or the original schematic just happened to work for the original author. but nevertheless, the published max233 circuit used in conjunction with my "diode mod" works 100% with my brand new V8000.

step 3, finishing up:
my original plan was to just take a 1" dia piece of heat shrink tubing and "enclose" my adapter. i'm not going for any awards for looks here -- i just want to prevent any possibility of shorts between the adapter and whetever it is sitting on. but then i noticed that just by serendipity, the little clear plastic box that maxim sent my max233's in is just the right size for the adapter. so i'm going to drill a hole for the 1/8" jack, and provide a cut-out for the ribbon cable. simple, no cost, and my pics will make a nice "thank you" to maxim as well.

---

i hope all that info helps somebody looking for an OPC-478 or similar level converter substitute.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#37]

How do I know whether I should be using Wide (5Khz) or Narrow (2.5Khz)deviation?  
For 2M Ham frequencies which should I use?  

2m amateur uses 5Khz deviation.  MURS uses 2.5Khz deviation, although 5Khz is allowed on the upper two channels.   mismatch of deviation will either result in weak audio (2.5KHz transmitter and 5Khz receiver) or somewhat "splattered" audio (5Khz transmitter and 2.5Khz receiver).  

An example is a repeater with an RX of 147.120  +600 offset  Tone 103.5hz.    
Or either just simplex of the 146.520.
Which should I use?

5Khz all around.

For SAR frequencies which should I use?

what SAR frequencies?  in the 2m band --> 5Khz.  others, you have to find the relevant deviation for that frequency.  most public safety systems in the 150MHz zipcode are 5Khz.  MURS is as noted above.

here is MURS chan 1:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/vertex-hx370s/lmr-programming-1.jpg

I think i understand it all except the Tone.   I am guessing the 25 is the TX DCS tone of 25N,  and the (162.2) is the TX CTCSS?     However I can only choose one or the other,  not both.     Same thing applies to the RX tone  but I don't think RX tones are used much.    So my guess would be that I just need a CTCSS TX tone of 162.2  and it would work?    Thoughts???

does the system use DCS or PL/CTCSS?  it definitely doesn't use both.  RX tone decode can be handy, keep reading.  

here is the setup for a 2m amateur repeater which uses PL/CTCSS for access, and also repeats the tones on the output.
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/vertex-hx370s/lmr-programming-2.jpg

since the repeater sends PL/CTCSS on the output, and the radio is set up to only de-squelch on a valid PL/CTCSS tone, where you actually set the HT's squelch threshold is a "don't care".  the radio will not emit anything unless the repeater output is active.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]
There is one issue with the RX tone, this radio does not have an operator selectable way to open the RX tone, so if if you think someone is calling you without a tone, you have no way to "drop" the tone and listen.  You could always program the frequency twice, one with the RX tone and one without.  Not perfect, but I bet they didn't design this rather unique radio for us
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Those look like good radios... I may have to pick up a few.  I have a bunch of GMRS/FRS radios (yes, they suck, and I'm one of those few licensed people), but I really need something durable/waterproof that I can program and give to non-radio-saavy individuals.

My situation is one of being the only HAM and GMRS licensee in my neighborhood.  Actually... I'm probably the only one who knows anything about radios at all.  My wife and I are good friends with a couple of other families in the neighborhood, and if something happens (natural disaster are frequent here), they're all going to contact me.

It sure would be nice to have something I can simply hand out, such that they can contact us, and we can contact them when the phones stop working.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#40]

I think i understand it all except the Tone.   I am guessing the 25 is the TX DCS tone of 25N,  and the (162.2) is the TX CTCSS?     However I can only choose one or the other,  not both.     Same thing applies to the RX tone  but I don't think RX tones are used much.    So my guess would be that I just need a CTCSS TX tone of 162.2  and it would work?    

Are you sure it says 25?  The CTCSS tone of 162.2 was/is also known as "5B".  What radio is that CH programmed into?

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I see they offer a voice scrambler with that radio... is it the old frequency-inversion "donald duck" scrambler, or something more sophisticated?

I can't find any information on it
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
I see they offer a voice scrambler with that radio... is it the old frequency-inversion "donald duck" scrambler, or something more sophisticated?

Did you check Standards site, or Google?

Here it is, ~$89.

www.marine-electronics-unlimited.com/Standard+Horizon+FVP-31+Scrambler.html
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Here it is, ~$89.

Yes, I did check Standard's site, as well as Googling endlessly for some more information on that add-on.  According to the HX-370S's manual, there are four encryption codes you can choose when that module is installed, so I assume it's not the old voice inversion scheme.  I can't find any more information beyond that, so I was hoping somebody here could enlighten me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Here it is, ~$89.

Yes, I did check Standard's site, as well as Googling endlessly for some more information on that add-on.  According to the HX-370S's manual, there are four encryption codes you can choose when that module is installed, so I assume it's not the old voice inversion scheme.  I can't find any more information beyond that, so I was hoping somebody here could enlighten me.

Sorry, my reading comprehension circuits were off when I read your post.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Here it is, ~$89.

Sorry, my reading comprehension circuits were off when I read your post.

No offense taken.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Are you sure it says 25?  The CTCSS tone of 162.2 was/is also known as "5B".  What radio is that CH programmed into?

Wow this radio is pretty cool!!!! for the $120 I paid including shipping I am VERY happy!!
Do you realize you have the capability to program all the Marine frequencies too?
The leaves you with 360 duplex frequencies (without tone capability),  360 simplex frequencies,  and 40 frequencies that can include all the tones and everything.
760 customizable channels in all.  VERY NICE!!

To answer your question, The info I posted above was from a handout in my SAR manual.  The handout is titled  "SAR CHANNEL PLAN"  and the info I gave was for Channel 2.   Channel 1 is just a simplex frequency so that is why I used ch2 as the example.
There are 4 other repeaters with the specs written the same way.

Unfortunately the SAR Teams radio "expert" guy wasnt there today so I wasnt able to ask him.   But I am going to go ahead and program is presuming the info between the () is the CRCSS tone  and ignore the other number.  

Thanks for everyones help on this! I am so glad I was able to find this forum among all the other useless info on google about the radio.  I am sure I will become a common face around here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Do you realize you have the capability to program all the Marine frequencies too?
The leaves you with 360 duplex frequencies (without tone capability),  360 simplex frequencies,  and 40 frequencies that can include all the tones and everything.
760 customizable channels in all.  VERY NICE!!

My mistake.  You can NOT customize the Marine channel Frequencies with the CE68 software.  It looks like you can change everything but the frequency.  

Anyone know of a hack? PM  me please if you do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok I have a couple of Icom radios and I found this cable on ebay:

cgi.ebay.com/USB-Programming-cable-for-Icom-Alinco-radio-OPC-478U_W0QQitemZ180194773379QQihZ008QQcategoryZ40066QQcmdZViewItem

I was going to build a cable, but at $20 for a pre-built USB cable... My question is... If I were to build an adaptor cable to with a female stereo plug on one end to a 4-way male on the other end would it this USB cable work with the HX370S, VX-170, etc.? They also have a prebuilt serial cable that is $19 if the USB cable will not work.

cgi.ebay.com/Programming-cable-for-Icom-Alinco-radio-OPC-478-NEW_W0QQitemZ180196663352QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56987QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#49]

My question is... If I were to build an adaptor cable to with a female stereo plug on one end to a 4-way male on the other end would it this USB cable work with the HX370S, VX-170, etc.?

yes, it should.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/20/2007 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow that was fast. Would the 4-way have to be threaded to work?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top