Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2010 5:41:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The blight got all of mine but not before I got a pretty good bunch of tomatoes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]
All of our plants are Bonnie except for the pole beans which I grew from seed.  None of the Bonnie plants have shown any sign of blight, and they are looking really good so far.  Planted June 1 and should have ripe beefsteak and cherry tomatoes this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My only problem this year is lack of rain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here too... I'm really fighting blossom end-rot because I'm growing in buckets and watering problems are making the problem worse. I just can't win, it seems like I need to water twice a day but there just isn't any way for me to do that because I get up and leave for work at 5 in the morning and there is no way I'm getting up an hour early to try to water tomatoes with a flashlight. So I just water heavy in the evening and some of the plants (not all) are having end-rot problems.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My problem is the milkweed bugs literally sucking the life out of my tomatoes.  Every single one!

The ones they didn't suck ended up "cracking" while they were still green.  It's almost like the outside just cracked open while growing.

The cucumbers came out real well though
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here too... I'm really fighting blossom end-rot because I'm growing in buckets and watering problems are making the problem worse. I just can't win, it seems like I need to water twice a day but there just isn't any way for me to do that because I get up and leave for work at 5 in the morning and there is no way I'm getting up an hour early to try to water tomatoes with a flashlight. So I just water heavy in the evening and some of the plants (not all) are having end-rot problems.

Put some lime in those pots and your end rot problems will be cured
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corrections are in the works... but they take time. Several of the plants have come out of it but there are a few remaining yet. I plan to have an actual garden next year which should help with the problem so I'm just going to weather through this year and see what next year brings.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I won't curse myself.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corrections are in the works... but they take time. Several of the plants have come out of it but there are a few remaining yet. I plan to have an actual garden next year which should help with the problem so I'm just going to weather through this year and see what next year brings.

Yep, it just takes time.  Its amazing how quick a mater plant can zap the nutrients out of a massive pot.  I had a lot of problems last year and thought I was putting enough lime and fertilizer down, I upped the dosages and everything is excellent this year, except the lack of rain.  I lost a lot plants of various types to no rain, I'm getting ready to start a late garden closer to the house where I can water them
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Early Blight is a soil borne disease.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You can all rest easy. I can assure you, that every friggin blight spore in the northern hemisphere, is currently residing on my plants, so there won't be any left to infect your plants!

I started these from seed in my Mom's greenhouse, which unbeknownst to me was thoroughly contaminated with blight spores. I sprayed them with a fungicide weekly until I got them outside. Once in the sun, anfd fresh air, the blight minimized until this week. In the last few days, I've got a few plants that were doing a good imitation of German tiger stipe camo! Hopefully, I can nurse them along for a little while to get the crop in.

While we're on the topic, is there any way to sterilize soil after the growing season so I can get decent tomatoes next year? Moving the garden isn't really an option.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same issues, and I am growing them in buckets as well.  I added some lime, but some are still having issues.  There is no lack of rain here.  I am more worried about my plants staying too wet.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
It takes a little time for the lime to take effect, but it eventually will.  Too much water can cause problems, but I've never had blossom rot from too much water.  If you think you are getting too much water just drill a few holes towards the bottom of the buckets, it always helps me with overwatering problems from rain
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I detected a few leaves with tell-tale yellowing & brown spots at the bottom of a couple plants today. Here we go again. Pisses me off.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Last year my dad gave me 2 plants he bought in FL while on vacation. They had blight and I think it spread to my other plants when I used the same clippers. This year I cleaned the clippers with a bleach solution after each plant. So far I have 1 brandywine with some yellowish leaves near the bottom. The other 15 plants all look good. Last year I lost all of them to blight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can all rest easy. I can assure you, that every friggin blight spore in the northern hemisphere, is currently residing on my plants, so there won't be any left to infect your plants!

I started these from seed in my Mom's greenhouse, which unbeknownst to me was thoroughly contaminated with blight spores. I sprayed them with a fungicide weekly until I got them outside. Once in the sun, anfd fresh air, the blight minimized until this week. In the last few days, I've got a few plants that were doing a good imitation of German tiger stipe camo! Hopefully, I can nurse them along for a little while to get the crop in.

While we're on the topic, is there any way to sterilize soil after the growing season so I can get decent tomatoes next year? Moving the garden isn't really an option.

In South Texas we deal with early and late blight. This is the best way to deal with it I have found. Sprinkle about a cup of AG grade cornmeal in a space about 20 inch x 20 inch cover with black plastic. When planting time comes peel back the plastic and cut a inch and a half hole in the center of plastic. Dig deep hole and add small handful of Super Phosphate small handful of Gypsum and small handful of sugar. Replace plastic with seedling going thru the hole. Keep plant groomed so no bottom leaves touch ground or can get richochet splashed off of ground. Every thirty days spray Daconil.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]

In South Texas we deal with early and late blight. This is the best way to deal with it I have found. Sprinkle about a cup of AG grade cornmeal in a space about 20 inch x 20 inch cover with black plastic. When planting time comes peel back the plastic and cut a inch and a half hole in the center of plastic. Dig deep hole and add small handful of Super Phosphate small handful of Gypsum and small handful of sugar. Replace plastic with seedling going thru the hole. Keep plant groomed so no bottom leaves touch ground or can get richochet splashed off of ground. Every thirty days spray Daconil.

What does the cornmeal do?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I got mine from the Depot and they are looking good so far. None are red yet save a few grape maters, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What does the cornmeal do?

Blights are a soil based fungus that aer resistant to alot of chem fungicides. Cornmeal is a organic fungicide. If you have a garden space that no matter what you do is loaded with blight or nemeatodes dig down about a foot and about 1 sq foot. remove this soil replace with fresh that is treated with DE and cornmeal or add lots of DE and cornmeal, work into old soil, water heavily and cover with black plastic for 1 year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top