Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 9:14:05 AM EDT
My oldest daughter (13) shot a little buck during youth rifle season here in Mo. over this past weekend. I packed his torso with 40lbs of ice and let him hang for two days. I'd say about 1/2 of the ice melted inside my garage and the meat was nice and cool. Wish it was cooler so I could hang him until the meat started to firm up a bit. Cut the loins thick for grilling or pounding out, steaks were cut swiss steak thick, fajita style, brown and cook in gravy style, scalopini and spedini thin, stir fry style, and a couple packages for kabobs. Rest was ground up into burger into 1lb 4oz packages which is what we need for tacos with 5 mouths to feed. Deer was large enough to provide us with 40 meals this coming year. A couple more and we will have enough to see us through until next Fall.

She made a nice shot freehand at less than 50 yards on a moving deer quartering toward her. It made it 40 yards with the bottom of both lungs gone.

I don't think she is done bragging yet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Gratz to your kid, nice looking little deer
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
SWEET!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
good job! give her high five for me
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Boone and Crocket buck for sure!

I miss back in the 90's when it seemed like there was snow on the ground come deer season so you could hang it for days and not worry about it. I always like to shoot the smaller bucks and does for their delicious tenderloins, that one should be great.

Your daughter deserves some serious credit though
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#7]
GAZ I can remember back late 80s when I was her age hunting opening weekend and walking out to my stand sweating with just a flannel shirt on. Seems like second weekend is the mutha in these parts compared to opening weekend. Plus they want to get youth season out of the way early so the bow hunters won't complain about them hunting during peak rut times.

I'm trying to raise three daughters to enjoy gardening, fishing, hunting, cooking and food preserving. If they can find themselves husbands who think along those lines they will all be very lucky.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My oldest daughter (13) shot a little buck during youth rifle season here in Mo. over this past weekend. I packed his torso with 40lbs of ice and let him hang for two days. I'd say about 1/2 of the ice melted inside my garage and the meat was nice and cool. Wish it was cooler so I could hang him until the meat started to firm up a bit. Cut the loins thick for grilling or pounding out, steaks were cut swiss steak thick, fajita style, brown and cook in gravy style, scalopini and spedini thin, stir fry style, and a couple packages for kabobs. Rest was ground up into burger into 1lb 4oz packages which is what we need for tacos with 5 mouths to feed. Deer was large enough to provide us with 40 meals this coming year. A couple more and we will have enough to see us through until next Fall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Swamplvr/P1020161.jpg

She made a nice shot freehand at less than 50 yards on a moving deer quartering toward her. It made it 40 yards with the bottom of both lungs gone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Swamplvr/P1020160.jpg

I would say buy that girl a ice cream, but maybe a new 30-30 is in order.

Where in MO?

I am looking forward to being up there next week. (week from tomorrow).

Sure hope they get the crops in, before opening morning on the 14th.

Quoted:

GAZ I can remember back late 80s when I was her age hunting opening weekend and walking out to my stand sweating with just a flannel shirt on. Seems like second weekend is the mutha in these parts compared to opening weekend. Plus they want to get youth season out of the way early so the bow hunters won't complain about them hunting during peak rut times.

I'm trying to raise three daughters to enjoy gardening, fishing, hunting, cooking and food preserving.If they can find themselves husbands who think along those lines they will all be very lucky.
You will be lucky.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Good Shot!!!  My hat is off for the young Miss moswampy  

Best,

BJ in Carthage
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Swamplvr/P1020161.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Swamplvr/P1020160.jpg

I thought my family was the only ones that have ever heard about this.
I love doing spedini. How do you prepare yours?
Venison Spedini sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Good job to her.

Nice looking deer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]
tenderize the meat until thin but easily handled, dredged through spiced bread crumbs and into hot grease to brown both sides.

drain on paper towel

place in the center some fine chopped basil, fresh mozz and a piece of tomatoe. Secure with a skewer and bake for 20min. It is not a true spedini but the family likes it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top