Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2009 11:32:03 AM EDT
I am growing potatoes in a rubbermaid bin.  They are doing well, but I want more.

Could I pull up a few of the potatoe plants and start them in their own bin.

Also, is the potatoe plant the ultimate survival SHTF garden plant?

Thanks
Hun
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree with Feral...... Long growing season, bugs and diseases like them, not much nutrutional value, not too great eaten raw, etc.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
i love spuds but have to agree with the other folk, not the ultimate plant
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A little off topic, but is it too late to plant potatoes?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i love spuds but have to agree with the other folk, not the ultimate plant

What would you say is the ultimate garden plant for the modern survivalist.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
No one plant or crop will do all things for all people...  Climate, rainfall, soils, pest etc all play a role...

However, it is one of the major SHTF crops for me and my family. Over the past several years it has proven reliable.  It gorws well for us, in our soils and climate.  And on a per foot basis it provides more usable calories than anything else I grow.  Roughly 45-50 feet of potatoes, planted in one double row, provided some 500 lbs of spuds.  We still have 100 lbs or so left over.  That one row provided a full year of potatoes.  

I can and do grow other things. However, the potato provides for carbs than most anything else I can grow.  I do like another aspect of the lowly spud:  Its low tech and low cost.  I need no specialized equipment except a shovel.  I do not have to dry, freeze, can or otherwise preserve the spuds.  I cure em, stack em in baskets and stick em in a cold room.  And they provide viable "seed" for next year.

I cannot grow rice.  Corn is more susceptible to pest and problems, and far less reliable, for me.  It also produced substantially fewer calories.  I have not tried wheat or other cereals, but the process of growing, harvesting, threshing, removing chaff, grinding, etc looks to be substantially more work for similar or likely less calories.

The spud is the cornerstone (but by no means the exclusive) crop in our garden...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top