Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:20:07 PM EDT
I placed an Internet order for two cases on Sat. evening ($139 to my door $5.79/meal).  So they shipped on Monday via UPS ground and arrived Friday morning.  While the boxes aren't as rugged as Mil spec, they arrived in good order, shipping from Evansville IN to Ft Worth.

12 meals in each box, 2 each of 6 varieties (which a fewer choices than Mil spec).  Note the thick inner cardboard cover to protect the meals from being cut when the box is opened.

The plastic outer pouch is not nearly as thick and rugged as Mil spec, but you can see into them, and there is a meal card in each, showing the nutrition info, which is nice.  BTW, the meals are in the 1200 to 1300 cal range.

This is a shot of the back side of the outer pouch.

One thing I really like about these meals is that they are FRESH!  No more guessing about the MRE's, where they came from, how stored, how old, etc. etc.

So, here are the contents spread out for review.  The food will be discussed below, note the clear pouch is the salt water used in the heater.

I got raspberrry drink (it was aspertame sweetened), but had to supply my own bottle of water, and it was rather yummy.  I also supplied  my own paper plate.

Nice and simple heater instructions, perfect for SF members to understand, even under extreme duress :-)

The entree (Southwestern Style Chicken with Black Beans & Rice) slides inot the heater, pour in the solt water and set aside to 10 minutes to warm.

While the meal heated, I decided to have the crackers and cheese spread as an appetizer.  The crackers were crisp and fresh, and broke along the dotted lines.  I kneeded the cheese spread, so it came out consistent, with no nasty juices.  These items seem very similar to Mil spec, but were fresher and a bit better tasting.  I ate them all, it was good, and I was hungry.

The entree came out fo the heater too hot to handle, but I managed to get it onto my plate.  Looks good, I used the supplied pepper on it.  It was surprisingly spicey, but needed salt for my taste.  Mouth feel was good, no nasty grizzle, fat or any other suprises.

It was good enough that I cleaned my plate :-)

Then, I had the raisens and short bread cookie.  The raisens were moist, and dark, very, very fresh.  Even better than the ones I usually get at the store.  The only downside, they did taste a bit like the packaging.  The short bread cookie was crisp and loaded with fat.  Yummy, I never get to eat this kind of dessert except in MRE's.

More dessert!  Fig bars this time.  Kinda smushed in the package, but every bit as good as Fig Newtons.  However, by this time my tummy is pretty full.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it will be full the rest of the night.

The remnants.  OK, Apacks aren't environmentally friendly ;-)  

Conclusion:  These things get my coveted +P+ rating.  There are ver similar to Mil spec MRE's, but have lighter duty packaging.  A lesser variety of entrees could become an issue after a few days.  What I like about them, the freshness, the good taste, and the availability.  Just get on tyhe Internet and order some

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by Danner (the 130th)
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, great review, and thanks for all of the pics.  I was about to order some Mountain House and give them a try, but now I have to order both, haha.  Thanks for sharing.  Oh yeah, where did you get these?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
GREAT post! Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. Perhaps I might give them a try.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Good post.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
NO linky

Good post
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NO linky

Good post

D'oh, here the linky to the Apack site, which is where I ordered from.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
MREs dont come with plates for a reason.  They should remain in the opaque bag.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Costco had these on sale last year for $25.00 a box. I think that it was a regional specific item due to the hurricane season as others stated that they couldn't find them outside the southeast. Hopefully they will have them again this year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Given the lighter packaging, I wonder how the good taste and freshness will hold up over time.  However it looks like only the outside is lighter, are the entrees and snacks in the same type of bags as milspec?

Thanks for the good report and hopefully you can do a followup in 2-4 years .  Great to see real heaters in there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#10]
GROUP BUY!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent.  I have some Apacks, haven't torn into one yet though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]
You did good with the 6/2011 date (that's 4 years).  I got mine in May and it was already 6 months into its 3 year expiration date.

AmeriQual was unsympathetic to my whining about the lost 6 months. Yes, I'm aware they really last much longer at cooler temps.
www.mreinfo.com/mre-longevity.html

Quote from email response...
"Our storage facility is kept below 50 degrees, giving the product a longer shelf life. We store the product in Marango Cave just outside of Kentucky.

Thanks for your interest in APack Ready Meals
AmeriQual Group, LLC"
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Great Review.

But I think I'll stick with Mil Spec MRE's unless I find those somewhere at a bargain price.  Those meals are basically a collection of MRE components repackage up for commercial sale.  All of those items, with the exception of the main dish, appear to be the same as current MRE items.  You even appear to get fewer items in those meals than in a standard MRE.

I admit I'm also a bit of a MRE snob as I can get a good Brother in Law deal on current issue MRE's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]
very good post
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice... may have to order some
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top