Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:06:38 AM EDT
There were seven of these being auctioned locally on Government Liquidators, I had a bid on one of them to $680 and was high bidder until the last few minutes.  Then the pros came in and bid them all up; I dropped out when mine went over $1K.  I quickly bid on another one and lost.  They all ended up between $1,000 and $1,100 each.

When I woke up this morning I have an email saying I won?!  

All I can think is that someone bid and then backed out, or the last minute bidders were really GL pushing the price up and they didn't want to win.

So anyway, it looks like it's brand new, 2009 manufacture, and will cost me $890.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice score! I saw those for sale but can't really justify another trailer after having won/purchased an M101A2 last year. What are your plans for it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice score! I saw those for sale but can't really justify another trailer after having won/purchased an M101A2 last year. What are your plans for it?

First, get it home.
Then hack off the military 12-pin plug and put a 7-blade standard in its place.  It has 24V LED lights that may need to be swapped out.
Then I'm thinking of adding some risers and putting my roof-top tent on it.  I need to find the soft-top kit for that and they're hard to find.

If it looks like too much drama, put it on craigslist and sell it off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice! I'm thinking about doing a pickup bed trailer... But honestly one like yours would be better. For that price, maybe ill have a go at it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice! I'm thinking about doing a pickup bed trailer... But honestly one like yours would be better. For that price, maybe ill have a go at it!

Here's the specs on the manufacturer's website: http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/military/cargo_trailer_ltt-l.shtml

Torsion suspension, mostly aluminum, surge brakes, dual parking brakes, run-flat tires...

GL has several coming up at the end of the month in NC and Georgia.

It looks like there's one available in a more fashionable paint scheme over in Hawaii for $4000 on craigslist: http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/2847419977.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would a pickup camper shell fit on it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet deal!

Frame it up to be a tow behind camping shelter....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They are nice and go for less around here.  

I have had several M101A1, A2 and A3 and find them to be a better utility trailer.   Don't know about making a camper trailer.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have had several M101A1, A2 and A3 and find them to be a better utility trailer.   Don't know about making a camper trailer.

Been seeing lots around lately, for some VG prices.
There's a used car lot near me that has a bunch of mil trailers, all look VG, some with hoops/tops, and some with generators mounted, for sale.

I'm tempted from time to time, but like others, don't NEED another trailer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would a pickup camper shell fit on it?

On a pickup bed trailer, yep. on the surplus trailer here... probably not. Looking at the schematic above, it looks to e a bit bigger than a conventional pickup bed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:19:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Badass  (and heavy). What are you going to tow it with?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jeep WK.  It has a Hemi.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeep WK.  It has a Hemi.

Better plan on getting a pintle hitch plate with a 12" drop/rise, like this:

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to expedition portal dot com. You will find many ideas on how to outfitt that. Beware though, you pocket book will hate you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been seeing lots around lately, for some VG prices.

There's a used car lot near me that has a bunch of mil trailers, all look VG, some with hoops/tops, and some with generators mounted, for sale.

I'm tempted from time to time, but like others, don't NEED another trailer.
Shhhhheeeeeeet.    What I paid for some of mine. They might as well gave them away. And they would throw in a new tarp and brand new tires.
It's worth the time to get a GL account and wait until Meade gets a lot of trailers in.   Take the time to preview them and decide what to bid on.  Some people, like ebay, get into a bidding war and pay way to  much.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother's ( not sure what model) got pulled to both SD and KY last year, at SPEED, on the original 1968 tires.

No problems. He told me I could have it for $350, as he has a LOT of trailers too, but it's a solution for a problem I don't have.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be an A1 with tube tires and split rims.

My A1 with brand new tires was $220 from GL.  I've seen them go for the minimum bid  but with no bows or tarp.

Link Posted: 2/19/2012 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup, it has split rims.
He got it with bows, top, and what looked to be an unused spare for about a $3-350 trade.(he had ZERO in trade item, but that's what it was worth)

Need to start with Maine trailer tags if I get anymore.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I have Maine tags.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I got the first two hurdles behind me.  My EUC status is Received, and the pintle hook is ready to go.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Neat. Can't wait to see the trailer brought home. Hopefully your project idea works out. I've always wanted that setup (tent-trailer.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
How high off the ground is that pintle?

And don't forget the hitch pin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How high off the ground is that pintle?

And don't forget the hitch pin.

lol, yes there is no pin in the picture.  I was using the hitch to hold the thing while I bolted the pintle to the riser plate.

The trailer lunette ring is 29½" off the deck, and my jeep's receiver is 22".  I actually need to move the pintle up to the last set of holes to be level, but I'm hoping that with a slight nose-down config it'll not rattle as much when I'm towing it home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't remember if you can lock out the brakes on this model, so be careful of them locking up.  Remember to stop after a bit and check the bearing temp to make sure they are not over heating.

You have tow lights?

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't remember if you can lock out the brakes on this model, so be careful of them locking up.  Remember to stop after a bit and check the bearing temp to make sure they are not over heating.

You have tow lights?

Since it's almost all freeway for the one hour drive home and daytime when I do it, I was thinking of just going for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have tow lights?

Since it's almost all freeway for the one hour drive home and daytime when I do it, I was thinking of just going for it.

You get rearended - even if it's the other guy's fault - and you can end up paying all the damages.

Get a cheap set of tow lights and duct tape them to the trailer for the ride home.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have tow lights?

You get rearended - even if it's the other guy's fault - and you can end up paying all the damages.

Get a cheap set of tow lights and duct tape them to the trailer for the ride home.

Or you get pulled over for no brake of turn signal lights. Ticket.  No valid registration or tag.  Ticket plus impounded.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I mounted a set of these on the pintle riser plate for my M101A2...

Seven-way civilian to military trailer adapter

Trailer receptacle cover

That way I didn't have to rewire anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I mounted a set of these on the pintle riser plate for my M101A2...

That way I didn't have to rewire anything.

Can you post up a picture of that?  I can't visualize it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
^^^ Awesome, thanks!

Now could you mount the plug on the other side, that's where my trailer socket is.  

Seriously though, that looks great, and will probably be the way I go with mine.  Everyone else who sells the adapter plugs wants over $100 for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]
You'll be $100 into that adapter cable and receptacle by the time they are shipped to you. Then you still have to fabricate a mount for the receiver plate. And in the end you'll have an extra adapter cable to keep track of. All so you can maintain the ability to hook your trailer up to military vehicle with a 12 pin electrical outlet, an ability you will probably never use.

Or you can spend $5-10 for a standard 7 way trailer connector, lop the existing plug off of the trailer connector, wire in the new 7 way connector and voila', you're done! I know which way I would go (and did ). Seems I have recently read something to this effect as well....
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, it's easy to wire one up and roll your own.
Even cheaper is to pull the front part of the harness out at the junction block and plug your own 4 wire plug in.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Just hauled 3 to Ft Hood.Soldier there said the older ones started at 175 dollar bid.Cool trailer for the money!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Just hauled 3 to Ft Hood.Soldier there said the older ones started at 175 dollar bid.Cool trailer for the money!

They all start at $150 on GL.

Where you hauling them for a winner or the .gov?

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Just an update:  My EUC got kicked back last week.  Apparently n/a is not sufficient and I had to write Not Applicable in all the appropriate blocks.  Got the word that it's approved by GL and on its way to Battle Creek for final approval.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Just an update: My EUC got kicked back last week. Apparently n/a is not sufficient and I had to write Not Applicable in all the appropriate blocks. Got the word that it's approved by GL and on its way to Battle Creek for final approval.

Had that happen to me as well, if this is your first purchase thru GL should only take a few weeks total, I believe I had mine in less than a month.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Any updates?  I see there are more and more of these M1101 and M1102 trailers being auctioned off at Ft Lewis.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish I lived within 200 miles of one of these places so that I could try to get one
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is mine:

I have to pick it up next week at Ft. Bragg. It was $341 out the door ( well out the base gate lol)
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any updates?  I see there are more and more of these M1101 and M1102 trailers being auctioned off at Ft Lewis.

The last batch at Ft Lewis went for $1300+ I didn't even bid.  My EUC is still out, but I expect it almost any day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is mine:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/mj1angier/trailer.jpg

I have to pick it up next week at Ft. Bragg. It was $341 out the door ( well out the base gate lol)

I think you forgot a zero there...

Darn good price!  

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Bragg has had a large number of trailers and when the do the prices are great.

Use to be like that at Meade.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#44]
It took a while for my EUC to clear, but I got the word Monday that the trailer was clear to pick up.  It would happen that the base was having a large scale security drill today and we were warned to telework from home (or Starbucks) and stay well clear.  I decided today would be the best day to run down to JBLM so I took the day off.

It's huge!  I hooked it up and pulled it forward a few feet to make sure the wheels were all turning, there were no locked brakes or scary sounds, and then retracted the landing leg and headed out.  I brought it back at 60MPH for most of the way, although I did hit 70 at one point.  I still haven't decided whether I'm going to keep it or sell it, but I have to admit I really like it.  It tows nice and smooth and looks great.  I may swap out the Hummer wheels for something smaller, but don't know how much money I want to pour into this.

The first three pictures are in the DRMO yard at JBLM.

Thanks to Obamanomics, the mall parking lot is mostly empty anymore, so I stopped to take a few pictures.

Here are a couple close-ups that show how the temporary lights are attached (the magnets on the lights don't stick to aluminum) and the pintle hook.  The safety chains are too short.

Once I got it home I swapped the pintle to the front and guided it up close to the garage.  Not much room for error so I disconnected and pushed it in by hand.  With the wheel on the landing leg it was very easy to move it by myself.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#45]
That last photo is on the money. Talk about a tight fit. Great looking use of money. Defiantly post photos when complete. Great score.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm digging that tongue jack with the wheel. That is one thing I wish my M101A2 had and I am going to fit one to it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm digging that tongue jack with the wheel. That is one thing I wish my M101A2 had and I am going to fit one to it.

I was feeling a little rusty after so many years.  I used to be able to maneuver the huge TF-39 engine trailers into the Test Cell and put it exactly where it needed to go.  For this though, given the tight fit, I dropped the landing leg and pushed it in by hand.  Even with the slight slope of the driveway, it was easy to do it by myself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Man, it really puts the size in perspective seeing it 'towering' behind your Jeep.  Thx for the pics.  Looking at something similar if I can make my storage option work...
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, I got the license and title and now I'm thinking about selling it.  I've listed it over in the EE.  I need the room in the garage.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Where is it that you bid on this?  Do they not use DRMO anymore?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top