Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2007 1:11:07 PM EDT
I picked one up the other day, should have bought a few. Also got a bunch of trioxane bars, and plan to go buy alot more.  I earned my Eagle scout award 10 years ago and really havent used any of my learned skills since.  I am trying to get back in the swing of things.  I have cooked on a coleman stove and over a fire, but have never used one of these.  I was just trying to see what it would take to heat up a canteen cup of water.  I took 2 of the small 1" or so tabs to heat it up too hot to touch it.  I may have to get some larger bars to go along with it to cook up some mre's or ramen.  Here is a pic.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. This reminds me that I need to get a canteen cup like that.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
pic reminds me of all the times I burned my darn mouth on those canteen cups, hehehee. Esbit stoves rock, I took one to Desert Storm, used it just about every single night to make coffee or mocha, that is until one of my supervisors ran over it with an ATV...I'm still pissed off to this day............. eheheheheh
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Where did you purchase your stove from? I have been looking for something similar to use and this looks like it might work. What are your opinions so far, worth it or not?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i got mine from the sportsmansguide.com
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked it up at an Army NAvy store for $3.  I plan on getting a few more and a pile of trioxane to go with it.  I like it so far, it is not the best system, but if you want hot food, you dont have to start a fire which can give your position away.  I mainly got it for my BOB/3rd line gear.  I want to put one in my truck too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My setup is a lot like yours.  Instead of using the Esbit stove, I'm using the USGI one that goes with the canteen cup.  Trioxane is ok but doesn't burn as hot.  I have been using Esbit tablets but I'm about to upgrade.

I was camping with a buddy of mine and he showed me a pepsi can stove that burns alcohol.  This thing was fantastic!  I did some research and found this guy who makes some really nice ones, and I ordered one that is sized to replace the Esbit in a stove like yours and mine.

It's called the SSBIT and is made by Minibull Design.

He's got a Youtube video of it here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
mainstay of the German Infantry from before ww2 to present....i got my 1st Esbit cooker about 25 years ago when i was a 3rd I.D.  soldier posted in Germany...i still use one today, it stays in my belt kit along with the large Esbit tabs...really a timeless item of kit....vince g. 11b inf...
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I love em'. The first one I had was some kind of replica but it worked just fine.
Later I bought a used surplus stove.
Earlier this year I bought a brand new real Esbit for $2 at a gunshow.
I should have bought three at that price.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used one since the early 90's. They are awesome. Have pics on paper of me using but no scanner and I don't know how to post pics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the same one and I love it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice to see one in action. I've been thinking about getting one- now that I know they work, I will.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My setup is a lot like yours.  Instead of using the Esbit stove, I'm using the USGI one that goes with the canteen cup.  Trioxane is ok but doesn't burn as hot.  I have been using Esbit tablets but I'm about to upgrade.

I was camping with a buddy of mine and he showed me a pepsi can stove that burns alcohol.  This thing was fantastic!  I did some research and found this guy who makes some really nice ones, and I ordered one that is sized to replace the Esbit in a stove like yours and mine.

It's called the SSBIT and is made by Minibull Design.

He's got a Youtube video of it here.

I made one.  It isn't as pretty but it works.

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't impressed with my esbit stove. It was cool and compact at first.

The trioxine is actually kind of bulky for any long term use. If you need one days supply then its ok.
The other thing is that I wore mine out pretty quick. It wouldn't hold half open very well. Granted I could bend it in the right places but it just never folded up and folded out and stayed upright the same again.

Oh, also the first time I used it on dirt/grass I started a small grass fire.

I bought a msr pocket rocket instead. I like it much better. It is kind of like the big knife analogy. A big knife can do the job of a small knife but a small knife can only do the job of a small knife. With the pocket rocket I can boil one cup for a coffee or multiple or a bigger pot for multiple people.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
hey ak223boarder it sounds like you did'nt have a Real esbit stove...it sounds like you had a eastgerman one which is a Real Bad copy of the WestGerman stove..the eastgerman one only folds open to hold the large base of thier issued messkit and the WestGerman stove has the ability to fold and to hold various widths of cups or messkits..also the stove really was'nt made to cook a large meal it was made to heat a soldiers pre-cooked rations and to heat a drink..and if it does'nt have the word Esbit inpressed on the stove it's not a Genuine stove..the stove will burn any type of solid fuel to include small sticks..for me the large Esbit tablets are less bulky than the foil covered trioxane and i can carry more for less bulk..to just heat something up this solid fuel stove is a great item of kit....vince g. 11b inf.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine has Esbit and W. Germany stamped on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
11Binf,

That explains my first stove.
Looking at the two side-by-side, it's kind of AK vs. HK as far as fit and finish.

They fold up to nothing. Lo tech good.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The fuel tabs are more valuable than the stove itself.  The stove just makes a good storage unit.  Those tabs will make a fire anywhere but it's tough to get a cup of water boiling off of one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you are right about me having a cheap one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
this might be  a nice stove, but too expensive to have shipped over.
note they call these hexamine stoves, but triox could be used. hexamine has more health issues

http://www.farsm.com/hexaminecookers.php
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mine has Esbit and W. Germany stamped on it.

That is the real one and only one worth having.

You can modify it to be more effective.  Add a back piece made from tin.  If you look closely, you can see I have a piece under it as well.  Air still flows through the slots but it reflects more heat upwards.  FYI a triox bar burns too hot for tin and will warp them, but when using esbit fuel, small sticks or alcohol they are fine.  They also fit inside the stove when folded.

You make the alcohol burner from a rectangular Velamints tin, others brands do not fit.  Also use perlite and window screen.  Always boil with lid on.  I forget the various boil times but alcohol with the MSR stowaway pot and lid on were fastest.  A couple minutes.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You can modify it to be more effective.  Add a back piece made from tin.  If you look closely, you can see I have a piece under it as well.  Air still flows through the slots but it reflects more heat upwards.  FYI a triox bar burns too hot for tin and will warp them, but when using esbit fuel, small sticks or alcohol they are fine.  They also fit inside the stove when folded.
....snip

I've used Triox in mine about 8-10 times so far without any problems...

Can anyone second that... ? Either way?

I'd hate to screw it up due to poor selection of fuel...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....snip

+1 I need to know.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I used triox bars in my real one and so do my kids and we have never had them warp. On;y the Choegans ones have warped on us. Gonna make me a deflector like that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#25]
If you carry a US canteen cup then carry the cp holder too, it takes a lot less space than the Esbit stove.

I have a lot of Triox but even using 2/3s of a bar doesn't get a good boil in the summer.

I have 4 of MiniBulls stoves and they are better than what I can build, still it's easy to make a working one in a pinch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
....snip

+1 I need to know.

Triox works fine in the original stove, it will warp the mods I made out of thin tin.  So if you add tin sides use alcohol burner or esbit fuel, remove them when you use triox.  Sorry for the confussion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody have any experience with the Mil-tec copy?

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=350958
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#28]
the item shown in your link is not a copy of the Esbit stove but a copy of the British/aussie issue hexy stoves...these stoves are much larger than the small Esbit stove and are issued with larger hexy blocks that come in a cardboard box carried inside the stove...looks  like a decent copy from here,and as long as the metal is good it should standup  fairly well to regular use....i have about 4ea. of the genuine British issue stoves and a crap load of the hexy blocks stockpiled in my storage area ,i collect Brit. kit you see... vince g. 11b inf..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top