Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2013 11:16:17 AM EDT
I'm sure this topic has been covered here before, but I searched and came up empty.  I even went through all 22 pages of the subforum looking for the word "generator".

Hurricane season is here.  I have about $400-450 to spend on a generator to power some basic necessities and pump water from our well.  We have a natural gas furnace, water heater, and dryer.  All other appliances are electric.  I should emphasize I don't expect to power the whole house with it, just the bare minimum.

Right now I'm looking at some Chinese brands on Amazon.  There's not a lot of information on the web about these generators.  I get the impression that Arf is not fond of Chinese stuff, but my situation is what it is and I'm not likely to have the budget for a nice Honda this season.  I think I know what I should be getting but I can't afford it.

So assuming I get one of these Shanghai Specials, how much heartache am I going to endure down the road?  What are some of the major sticking points?  Has anyone used one recently, like maybe for Sandy?

Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're looking for a Champion.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure this topic has been covered here before, but I searched and came up empty.  I even went through all 22 pages of the subforum looking for the word "generator".

Hurricane season is here.  I have about $400-450 to spend on a generator to power some basic necessities and pump water from our well.  We have a natural gas furnace, water heater, and dryer.  All other appliances are electric.  I should emphasize I don't expect to power the whole house with it, just the bare minimum.

Right now I'm looking at some Chinese brands on Amazon.  There's not a lot of information on the web about these generators.  I get the impression that Arf is not fond of Chinese stuff, but my situation is what it is and I'm not likely to have the budget for a nice Honda this season.  I think I know what I should be getting but I can't afford it.

So assuming I get one of these Shanghai Specials, how much heartache am I going to endure down the road?  What are some of the major sticking points?  Has anyone used one recently, like maybe for Sandy?

Thanks guys...

Not a lot of info you say???

Here's 986 pages of info on Chinese generators- namely the Champion.
RV.net Mega Generator Thread

While the chinese models may all appear the same or similar on the surface, what you are paying for is the customer service after the fact.  Many brands come and go or disappear after purchase.
Champion is known for low cost, but excellent English speaking customer service, which is based here in the US.  They sell their spare parts direct to you and have a solid reputation for helping out customers.
Check Cabela's and Tractor Supply for various deals.  Cabela's just put the Champion back on sale with remote electric start and the wheel kit for $429.    

I bought one of the 3500 generators and am now saving the spare pennies for a transfer switch to get it hard-wired into the house.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of these:

Powermate 5000 Watt Generator

... that has served me well, through several multiple-day power outages - I think the longest was 4 days, and this genny ran continuously.  It's listed at $649, or $577 after rebate if you pick it up at the store instead of shipped to your house.  So a *little* above your budget level, but maybe worth consideration.  I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.  The last outage was during 0-10° F temps, and I think it started on the second pull.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys...

Not a lot of info you say???

Here's 986 pages of info on Chinese generators- namely the Champion.
RV.net Mega Generator Thread

While the chinese models may all appear the same or similar on the surface, what you are paying for is the customer service after the fact.  Many brands come and go or disappear after purchase.
Champion is known for low cost, but excellent English speaking customer service, which is based here in the US.  They sell their spare parts direct to you and have a solid reputation for helping out customers.
Check Cabela's and Tractor Supply for various deals.  Cabela's just put the Champion back on sale with remote electric start and the wheel kit for $429.    

I bought one of the 3500 generators and am now saving the spare pennies for a transfer switch to get it hard-wired into the house.

I probably should have said "I haven't found much info..."

Thanks, I will give Champion another look and wade into that huge thread later tonight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lowes and Tractor Supply are local dealers,can find on sale sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

The Champions that are 3,000-4,000 watts are usually in that price range.  They have a very good reputation.  Depending on your power needs, consider the Champion Inverter/Generator.  It's 2kw and usually around $600 or so.  Less power output but it offers potentially better fuel economy.  

I have one of these from B&S.  It has a little brother.  I got mine from Tractor Supply as it was about $100 cheaper than anywhere else.  

Oh, be sure to budget some $$$ for fuel storage.  I tried utility jugs but the caps do not hold up to the pressures that build up during hot-weather storage.  Now I have a set of these.  Get a Super Siphon to make filling easy.  

You'll also need to budget for heavy gauge extension cords, spare filters and plugs, etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
For fuel storage I've been looking at getting a few of these:

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you fill them up "full" you can keep gasoline stored for years without having to add any snake oil.

I'm still opening cans I sealed up I bought at at $1.99 a gallon and no varnish, smells fine, works just like gas I bought last week.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you fill them up "full" you can keep gasoline stored for years without having to add any snake oil.

I'm still opening cans I sealed up I bought at at $1.99 a gallon and no varnish, smells fine, works just like gas I bought last week.  

Amazing!

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Amazing!

How so?  (...is that something you've preached for/against? )
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Well pumps can require a surprising amount of power to start and run.  Much greater than you might expect.  Do you happen to know the specs on yours?  You will probably need to size the generator based on that.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Another source for cans:

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
MEP-002A

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

Uh, maybe....

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Concur.  

And sadly, Northern Tool had a 5000W discontinued model for $249 this AM, but now sold out.  

The 4000/3500's are usually pretty reasonably priced, though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur.  

And sadly, Northern Tool had a 5000W discontinued model for $249 this AM, but now sold out.  

The 4000/3500's are usually pretty reasonably priced, though.

Shit! I need one in that size!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry but I'm not understanding the premise. There are many places where you could save money but in a all important genny to actually run your house? Seems silly to me. Instead I wold cancel my Internet for 6 months, phone data plan or about 100 other ways before this.

Not in your budget? Change your budget
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry but I'm not understanding the premise. There are many places where you could save money but in a all important genny to actually run your house? Seems silly to me. Instead I wold cancel my Internet for 6 months, phone data plan or about 100 other ways before this.

Not in your budget? Change your budget

I think he means he doesn't want to spend $4,000 on a Honda when a $500 something-else will fit his needs while also being reliable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

Uh, maybe....

Maybe for?  Or maybe against?

My thought is if you keep it full to seal out oxygen, what little is in there will "react out", do it's damage, and be gone.
There is no loss of "light ends" due to evaporation, and no condensation problems due to "breathing".

So it just sits there until you open it.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've gone a year with same result .Mandated ethanol blend.Plastic cans are incapable.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

EXPY opened my eyes about this a couple of years ago...and I hated him for it

Since I wanted so badly for him to be wrong I did some testing of my own. I "discovered" that gasoline stored in an airtight container will keep just fine, without any fancy additives. My backup gasoline is kept in NATO steel jerrycans, and I've tested fuel that is two years old and counting with zero issues.

Fuel that I keep in generators, pumps, chainsaws etc still gets treated with pri-g or seafoam, but that is primarily a holdover for my peace of mind.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing!

EXPY opened my eyes about this a couple of years ago...and I hated him for it

Since I wanted so badly for him to be wrong I did some testing of my own. I "discovered" that gasoline stored in an airtight container will keep just fine, without any fancy additives. My backup gasoline is kept in NATO steel jerrycans, and I've tested fuel that is two years old and counting with zero issues.

Fuel that I keep in generators, pumps, chainsaws etc still gets treated with pri-g or seafoam, but that is primarily a holdover for my peace of mind.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top