Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2012 3:25:33 AM EDT
Most of the military gas masks are too tight to fit with glasses.
What are other options?
What about these from Lowes?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are other options?

3M and other respirators are worn in industrial plants around the world keeping people alive in hazardous atmospheres every day. Get the right cartridges, learn how to wear it, and make sure it fits properly.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are other options?

3M and other respirators are worn in industrial plants around the world keeping people alive in hazardous atmospheres every day. Get the right cartridges, learn how to wear it, and make sure it fits properly.

I was more concerned if their filters provided with the masks from Lowes of good quality or if they should be upgraded.
I figured these were mostly for minor work like painting and pesticides and useless toward other more potent airborne particles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of potent airborne particles are you worried about?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Inserts

Yepp, this is what the .mil does.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are other options?

I was more concerned if their filters provided with the masks from Lowes of good quality or if they should be upgraded.
I figured these were mostly for minor work like painting and pesticides and useless toward other more potent airborne particles.

If it is just a filter, then it will not be suffient for some gasses and particulates. You will need something like an organic gas cartridge plus the particulate filter to be effective. Give me a minute and I'll put some pics up of what I use. Keep in mind that there are specific cartridges for different gasses, and a multi gas cartridge won't last as long as a specific, but protects against more things.

I find it amusing that the commercial safety stores have jumped on the prepping bandwagon.

Safety Products Inc. Domestic Preparedness

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
They have glasses w/rubber straps for arms that were issued to me in 03. I believe you could just put the mask on over them.

I wore contacts every time to the gulf...yeah, I know...bad idea. They dry out quickly in the mask and a pita when you fall asleep w/the mask on .

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inserts

Yepp, this is what the .mil does.

I have a whole shit pot of the temple pieces of these inserts, but none of the frame part that holds the lens.  Got them in some surplus I bought a couple years back from DRMO.

LC
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are other options?

What level of protection and environment is the mask you're looking for intended for?

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are other options?

What level of protection and environment is the mask you're looking for intended for?

As close to the military gas masks as possible.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhh my new favorite topic on arfcom, the need vs. want of gas masks.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The thing I would be worried about the most is chlorine, and you have to have a filter rated for it. Most are not.
Why would one be worried about chlorine you ask? Lots of food processing plants use it. Big tanks of it. If someone were to target, or otherwise rupture one, it wouldn't be a pretty sight downwind from it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems like most of the things you would want a mask for affect your eyes along with your respiratory tract. To me the two things you would most likely need a mask for in any kind of SHTF situation are smoke and tear gas. Both of those will irritate your eyes and make it very difficult to see. A respirator that allows you to breathe won't help all that much if you can't see and your eyes feel like they are on fire.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have glasses w/rubber straps for arms that were issued to me in 03. I believe you could just put the mask on over them.

I wore contacts every time to the gulf...yeah, I know...bad idea. They dry out quickly in the mask and a pita when you fall asleep w/the mask on .

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nostra/FramesLenses/PublishingImages/MCU2P.jpg

I have a couple pairs of those.  Hated the damn things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are other options?

As close to the military gas masks as possible.

It's hard to know what you want and try to '"cheap" your way towards your goal. The only way that truly gives what your looking for is the right CBRNE mask and filter. Then you can get the right Gas Mask Insert(GMIs) for the mask. Regardless of the mask, you may still be screwed as some agents absorb through the skin, blister skin etc.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The confusion here is nomenclature.  You aren't looking for a 'gas mask'.  You are looking for a protective mask.

'Gas' implies that you have an external supply of breathable air and a non permeable/sealed mask.  Firefighters wear gas masks, otherwise known as Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.  Aircraft egress bottles are also gas masks.  These are active systems, providing breathable air from a closed tank.

A "Protective Mask" uses a filter to remove toxic particulates from the air.  These are passive systems, they provide filter protection in an otherwise toxic environment.  It does not protect you from gases that are heavier than or displace breathable air.  It merely removes the 'stuff' in the air.  It doesn't work against smoke, it does not give you air in an airless environment.  Chemical agents in aerosol form, you'll want a protective mask.

Now, back to your original question: any maker worth buying from has corrective lens inserts for their masks.  3M is a good place to start, MSA is another.

If you type 'us army nbc' into a search engine, you'll find information relevant to your interest.

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Gas mask isn't an industrial hyginist's term, but it is understood to mean a full face resperator with cartridges.  This is the common use by lay people, the military, and DOT (which requires gas masks in vehicles transported placard quanties of chlorine gas.)

Note gas masks are designed for use in use in an IDLH (Immeadiate danger to life and heath) atmosphere.  Normal full face and half face resperators are not.  If they fail, or the cartrtrige reaches end of life, you can walk out of the danger area, without a significant risk.   You are generally not allowed to use such a s mask against chemicals if the chemicals cannot be detected by tatse or order.  For example isocynate paints require  a supplied air resperator..OTOH, If a gas mask (chlorine or CBRN) fails in it's intended use the wearer is dead.

SO I'm not sure what the half face resperator pictured is supposed to do.  It doesn't protect the eyes, skin, or have the same protection factor as a full face respirator.  It would be useful against a dirty bomb, or for mildly hazardous pesticide or VOC exposure.  It's a paint spray resperator, it filters VOC out of the air to comfort the user, prevent altered mental state, and the long term dangers of inhaling solvents.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The confusion here is nomenclature.  You aren't looking for a 'gas mask'.  You are looking for a protective mask.

'Gas' implies that you have an external supply of breathable air and a non permeable/sealed mask.  Firefighters wear gas masks, otherwise known as Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.  Aircraft egress bottles are also gas masks.  These are active systems, providing breathable air from a closed tank.

A "Protective Mask" uses a filter to remove toxic particulates from the air.  These are passive systems, they provide filter protection in an otherwise toxic environment.  It does not protect you from gases that are heavier than or displace breathable air.  It merely removes the 'stuff' in the air.  It doesn't work against smoke, it does not give you air in an airless environment.  Chemical agents in aerosol form, you'll want a protective mask.

Now, back to your original question: any maker worth buying from has corrective lens inserts for their masks.  3M is a good place to start, MSA is another.

If you type 'us army nbc' into a search engine, you'll find information relevant to your interest.

+1.  To add a bit to this, I have used both positive pressure and negative pressure masks, as well as cartridge respirators.  When I was on active duty, I could never be sure what mask I would get in a drill/emergency, so I never worried about an insert.  

Now that I have my own mask on my department, I took it in to my eye doctor and asked him to get me a prescription insert.  We use the Scott SCBA and he ordered me the insert to fit it just like ordering a pair of glasses.  So the best advice is to talk to your eye doctor and see what they can do.

The Scott insert was/is a lot nicer than the MSA insert I had.  The Scott insert has a little notch that fits on a tab on the nose cup and stays in place.  The MSA insert had a suction cup that stuck to the inside of the facepiece.  It was always popping off and was a PITA.

If you are set on the cartridge respirator, see what he can do in terms of prescription safety glasses.  An even better option would be the cartridge respirator that is full face instead of half-mask.  

On a side note, I also bought prescription lenses for my dive mask.  They were awesome, although I don't think they were from the eye doctor.  If I remember right, the dive shop I was using could order them and tried different powers until I found one I liked (kind of like reading glasses).  

ETA:  I guess that I should add a review of the mask that you linked.  I have a half-mask cartridge respirator that looks like it is the same model as the one that you found.  I use it when working with insulation, dry wall, and otherwise dusty projects around the house.  It is awsome for its use.  I should also point out that you can get different cartridges for different jobs and they will work with this mask.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeap,
I have a department issued Scott av-3000 SCBA mask, and use thenose piece mounted  lense inserts as well, and it works great.  The best part is that you never have to worry about a fog up if your tanked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top