Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2011 8:51:19 PM EDT
Well, my Augason Farms One Month Emergency Food Kit  arrived today from samsclub.com
I like other products I have purchased from Augason Farms (Morning Moos, etc) so I wanted to try this.
My thought is that these might be nice kits to have around to handout to family members in need or to use ourselves.

I have not tried any of the food yet and I am not listing the contents here as there is a comprehensive list on the samsclub and the Augason Farms website.
The box claims this kit will provide 2150 average calories/day.

I like the fact that the kit seems to provide a variety of foods to mix and match.
However, I have noticed that some of the recipes need items not included in the kit, (i.e. cornstarch, vanilla, garlic powder, nutmeg, water)
Most of the additional items are optional. (except water )
The menu booklet is divided into breakfast, lunch & dinner meals.

The cans themselves are easy open with pull tops and each has a plastic lid to reseal after opening.

I do not think this is an end-all be-all food storage, but it seems pretty decent.
Bad news is it really contains no meat (other than the bacon bits), there is vegetarian beef and chicken substitutes. [>://

The package comes directly from Augason Farms, packed in a discreet brown box. Nothing on the box indicates the contents:

Open the outer box and you see the actual kit:

The kit measures 17"H x 12-1/2"D x 20"H:

Opening the box reveals a menu booklet with meal suggestions for breakfast, lunch & dinner:

The kit contains 48 - #2-1/2 cans:

Here is a comparison with a #10 can:

The menu booklet is nice and gives lots of ideas of different ways to prepare the included food:
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
have you tasted any of this product line?

chef.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Good info, thanks. I may just have to order a couple of those soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bit confused as I'm a bit of an uneducated noob, but is this supposed to represent 30-days for one person, or 30-days for a family of four as portrayed on the box?  The literature on the site seems to indicate the latter, but I wasn't sure.  I didn't do a calorie calc to check.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a bit confused as I'm a bit of an uneducated noob, but is this supposed to represent 30-days for one person, or 30-days for a family of four as portrayed on the box?  The literature on the site seems to indicate the latter, but I wasn't sure.  I didn't do a calorie calc to check.

Thanks!

I clicked on the link. It says enough for one person for one month.  $134.00

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Taken from the link to samsclub

"These smaller cans include enough food for one person for one month."
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Even the bacon bits are extruded vegtable protien. This kit is a great way to sample products to, or as the Op stated to give to others .Shelf live varies from 10 to 30 years depending on the can. The cans that dont have shelf life printed on it can be found on augasons website.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

chef.

Yes,
We have not tried anything from this particular kit yet,
but from Augason Farms and included in this kit we have tried:
1) Morning Moos - tastes good, provides some fat, grand kids will drink it
2) Country fresh instant non-fat milk - only powdered milk we have tried that my wife will drink
3) Dried whole eggs - these seem as good or better than any powdered eggs we have tried
4) Banana slices - taste like bananas, I am not wild about the honey coating, but most anywhere you buy them they are honey-coated
5) Freeze dried whole strawberries - taste like strawberries

Not included in this kit, we have tried their:
1) Vegetable stew blend - makes a decent stew, mixed with rice it is not bad.

All of the above products were good quality, well packed and tasted good.
Nothing tastes as good as fresh, but they compare well with similar products from mountainhouse and the LDS.
In fact, a lot of the LDS members we have talked to stock Morning Moos vs. the LDS milk.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Even the bacon bits are extruded vegtable protien. This kit is a great way to sample products to, or as the Op stated to give to others .Shelf live varies from 10 to 30 years depending on the can. The cans that dont have shelf life printed on it can be found on augasons website.

This is one thing I am not thrilled about. (However, got this covered with Yoders canned bacon )
We are meat eaters here and I think we would still supplement this kit.

I do like the variety of items it provides and the included recipe booklet has lots of meal ideas.

ETA: I figure if this would prevent one family member from moving in with us after an event, it is well worth the price.
Oh, and another thought I had last night was they are convienent barter size cans.
If you believe in that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
So-60K calories plus? That's a lot of calories for such a small box.

Question- were the recipes fairly fuel efficient? If so, this might be a good to have on hand for a bug outs/hand out.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Specifications

48 smaller size cans
   2,149 average calories per day
   Over 600 servings of product
   Large variety of different foods
   More usable quantities
   Less product to use after opening
   Takes up less space in the pantry
   Easier to rotate as food storage
   New, easy-to-open, pop-off lids
   No MSG added
   Each can contains an oxygen absorber for freshness
   Shelf life is best when stored in a cool, dry place at temperatures between 50°F-60°F
   Sealed, this product will last for 25 years; opened, up to 1 month refrigerated

Proteins Included:

1 can Vegetarian Meat Substitute Beef (flavored)
   1 can Vegetarian Meat Substitute Bacon Bits (flavored)
   1 can Vegetarian Meat Substitute Chicken (flavored)
   1 can Dried Whole Eggs

Vegetables Included:

2 cans Dehydrated Potato Gems
   2 cans Dehydrated Potato Dices
   1 can Dehydrated Chopped Onions
   2 cans Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn
   2 cans Freeze-Dried Broccoli Florets & Stems

Fruits Included:

4 Honey Coated Banana Slices
   1 Freeze-Dried Whole Strawberries

Soups Included:

2 cans Cheesy Broccoli Soup Mix
   3 cans Creamy Potato Soup Mix
   3 cans Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
   3 cans Southwest Chili Mix

Drinks Included:

2 cans Orange Delight Drink Mix
   2 cans Chocolate Morning Moo's Milk Alternative
   2 cans Country Fresh 100% Instant Nonfat Dry Milk

Grains Included:

4 cans Long Grain White Rice
   6 cans Creamy Wheat Cereal
   3 cans Buttermilk Pancake Mix

I can't see how that calorie count can be right?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Question- were the recipes fairly fuel efficient? If so, this might be a good to have on hand for a bug outs/hand out.

This kit is not really designed for BO, more for BI.
Some of the recipes require just the ability to boil water.
Some of the recipes call for ice and blenders.

Example:
There is a recipe for creating beef patties from the beef substitute and potatoes pearls then cooking like a hamburger patty.
I would not consider that fuel efficient (boiling water to make the patties, then cooking on a grill),
however, during an event (weather or man-made) we could pretty much make any of the recipes with stuff we have on hand here at home.

We store our LTS items in #10 cans or mylar. These kits would certainly not replace that.
We are not big believers in freeze dried entrees, lots of sodium, etc.

However, if there was an event that prevented people from going to the store,
I could certainly see giving the in-laws a case (to prevent them from coming to stay with us for a few days ).
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Thanks jspek and TUBBY...I have to learn to read the details.  I skimmed the listing and went to the in-depth description and missed that bit up front.  I will do better next time!  
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

chef.

Hey cookie,

I've tried pretty much everything AF sells, they are sort of local to me and I've been in there a bunch.  We actually eat a lot of their soups in the winter and make some of their muffin and corn bread mixes for dinners.  I guess I'm saying they are a somewhat regular part of our diet.

The chili is really bland but is a good easy start as long as you don't think it's worth eating right out of the package.  The soups are really good, fruits and berries are fantastic, I've not tried the bread mix but the muffins and cornbread are great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Question on the fruit products. I see both freeze dried and dehydrated apples. What is difference? Also on the strawberries, I am looking to make my own Special K Red Berry cereal ( That crap is good but very $). Any one know if this is a freeze dried or a dehydrated strawberry in it.

Edit: Found out the difference. Here
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#15]
ETA: I figure if this would prevent one family member from moving in with us after an event, it is well worth the price.  Thats my thinking too
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
wshbrngr, thanks for the pics & write up.  I'm gonna save up for this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Auguson has a great list of recipies on their site.
It's probably what is printed in the booklet.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/recipes
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually, very few of those recipes are printed in the booklet.
The recipes in the booklet are made primarily with just the items found in the kit.

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, very few of those recipes are printed in the booklet.
The recipes in the booklet are made primarily with just the items found in the kit.

Good to know.

I just ordered a lot of single cans of the "Every Day" size cans to try out some things.
I like that I don't have to open a whole #10 can to do some experimenting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I got the one year supply from Augason Farms and I'm fairly well pleased with it.
We tried several of the different cans and the product has been pretty good in all of them.
Other than being vegetarian supplies, I'd say you get a very good product for the dollar you spend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good to know.

I just ordered a lot of single cans of the "Every Day" size cans to try out some things.
I like that I don't have to open a whole #10 can to do some experimenting.

You bring up another good point.
We are planning to try some of the items that we did not want to order #10 can sizes.
Quoted:
I got the one year supply from Augason Farms and I'm fairly well pleased with it.
We tried several of the different cans and the product has been pretty good in all of them.
Other than being vegetarian supplies, I'd say you get a very good product for the dollar you spend.

I wish they offered the same kits w/meat.

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

So how long would it last one ARFCOMMER?
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I took the nutrition info from the samsclub website which shows calories per servings and the number of servings per can and calculated:

Beef Flavored Meat Substitute       100cal/serving x 10 servings/can =      1000cal
Bacon Flavored Meat substitute     20cal/serving  x 46 servings/can =       920cal
Strawberries Freeze Dried             30cal/serving  x 5 servings/can =        150cal
Cheesy Broccoli Soup Mix                190cal/serving x 8 servings x 2 cans =  3040cal
Chicken Flavored Meat Substitute   80 cal/serving x 13 servings/can =      1040cal
Orange Delight Drink Mix                 100cal/serving x 23 serving/can x 2 =   4600cal
Creamy Potato Soup Mix                 200cal/serving x 8 servings/can x 3 =   4800cal
Chicken Noodle Soup Mix               90cal/serving  x 8 servings/can x 3 =   2160cal
Potato Gems Mashed Potatoes130cal/serving x 9 servings/can x 2 =   2340cal
Whole Eggs Dry Egg Product100cal/serving x 14 servings/can =      1400cal
Banana Slices Honey Coated250cal/serving x 5 servings/can x 4 =   5000cal
Creamy Wheat Cereal160cal/serving x 11 servings/can x 6 = 10560cal
Southwest Chili Mix160cal/serving x 8 servings/can x 3 =   3840cal
Corn Freeze Dried Sweet Yellow100cal/serving x 4 servings/can x 2 =    800cal
Buttermilk Pancake Mix270cal/serving x 5 servings/can x 3 =   4050cal
Onions Chopped, dehydrated5cal/serving   x 171 servings/can =      855cal
Broccoli Freeze Dried15cal/serving  x 9 servings/can x 2 =    270cal
Rice Long Grain90cal/serving x 12 servings/can x 4 =  9120cal
Chocolate Morning Moos150cal/serving x 61 servings/can x 2 = 18300cal
Potato Dices170cal/serving x 5 servings/can x 2 = 1700cal
Milk - Instant Non-fat Dry                      90cal/serving  x 9 servings/can x 2 = 1620cal

Grand total: 77,565 cals / 30  which equals 2,585.5/day
If you believe the published data.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
tag for later
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Those smaller cans really appeal to me. #10 cans are great, but for someone living solo I think these would be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I would get some of the #10 cans of freeze dried beef chunks on Samsclub.com and turn that vegan stew into vegetable beef stew.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#28]
If you happen to be or someone you know is gluten intolerant they have a decent selection for you.
Gluten Free
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top