Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 3:55:49 PM EDT
I had the day to kill, so I figured why not.
A couple of years ago, I bought these 2 pieces of sheet metal for something (can't remember what), but I never ended up using them.  So today I decided to turn them into a little wood travel stove.
First, let me handout an automatic "cool story, bro" to anyone who decides to comment on my obviously shitty welding skills.  Somebody with my level of welding skill using 22 gauge sheet metal with flux-core wire is a recipe for disaster.  I admit, it's fucking ugly, but it works (I think, haven't actually fired it up yet).
Total cost?  Maybe $10 for the sheet metal I already had, $5 worth of wire, $3 worth of paint and a couple hours of my time.
Just because I welded mine does not mean you need a welder to make your own.  I could have just as easily have done this with a hacksaw and a hand drill and just bolted the sides together.  
Anyways, here's how to build one:
Start with 2 sheets of sheet metal.  You can see the cut lines I've drawn on mine.

Cut the pieces up.  I used a grinder with a cutting disk, but a hacksaw would work just as well.

The 4 long strips you see were cut so that I could bend them in half and weld them onto the corners for added strength.  I only had a hammer and vice to do the bending, and they didn't turn out as straight as I was hoping.

Here it is all tacked together:

Next I turned up the heat and cut some air holes in the side and bottom

Oil jug simulates a pot

I ground some of the crap off, finished welding it as best I could and sprayed it with a can of BBQ flat black paint I had lying around

It weighs about a pound all said and done and will support my weight when I stand on it (250lbs), so it's fairly strong.
I think if I were to make another, I would use thicker steel (maybe 1/8") so that I could get better welds and actually get it square(er) then it is.  If I'm not working tomorrow, I'll throw an old pot on it with some water and see if it actually boils it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like what an orc from middle earth cooks on!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
i think all things considered, it's pretty DAMN GOOD!!!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
run out of metal 5 gal buckets?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Too easy.  I like my equipment to look like it's been used in every scene of a Mad Max movie.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Too easy.  I like my equipment to look like it's been used in every scene of a Mad Max movie.  

understood....I have used 5gal buckets for years....
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A for effort
B for functionality
D for Appearance
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for taking the initiative. Well done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

very homemade
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like shit on a shingle. Are we related?

Hope it works good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you did a good job sir. Tag to see how it does boiling water.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Cool ,   practice makes stuff ,  

next time you need to bend (brake) metal that is longer than  your vice ....cut some 1X4 or 2x4s the length of the metal you are needing to bend and sandwich your piece between then hammer time  .......also you might have better success spot welding that thinner metal instead of trying to run a bead ,  spot -space-spot-space etc etc and then fill in the spaces between the spotwelds until fully welded .

if that makes any sense
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Slick
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty neat!   Def. +1 for initiative...also +1 for working on your skillz.   Good to know how to do stuff

(no offense, but I did laugh at the Orc-stove comment)
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking at that thing...You should sell them.  With the right marketing tugging at the right strings, you could sell that to a million urban hippies and retire.

"get your own authentic country water boiler.  Hand made by country simpletons.  Go Green and boil your water with this quality wood boiler!"  $199.99  20sec warranty.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking at that thing...You should sell them.  With the right marketing tugging at the right strings, you could sell that to a million urban hippies and retire.

"get your own authentic country water boiler.  Hand made by country simpletons.  Go Green and boil your water with this quality wood boiler!"  $199.99  20sec warranty.

Are you a marketing major, or a direct descendant of P.T. Barnum?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
My HS shop teacher was a korean war navy vet, he would have gave me "the look" if that was my project. Have you tried it out yet? If it functions well who am I to argue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, you're not winning any cosmetic awards.  Given its size and dimensions, you may be challenged to get enough wood in there to build an adequate fire and get the BTU's you need to really cook/heat.  I hope it works out though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First, let me handout an automatic "cool story, bro" to anyone who decides to comment on my obviously shitty welding skills.  Somebody with my level of welding skill using 22 gauge sheet metal with flux-core wire is a recipe for disaster.  

Nothing there that a little bit of practice and experience won't cure.  It looks like you did most of the welding in a flat position.  Next time, try positioning the weld area so that you can weld at a downhill angle.  It should help keep your bead flowing without burning through.  As was mentioned in a previous post, starting and stopping is OK, just fill it all in at some point.  Or don't- several good tack welds would hold this project together for a long time.  If you would have used some c-clamps or vise grips you could have held the pieces in place without having to deal with large gaps and the gaps can be adjusted (hammered) closer once the tack welds are in place.

I like the way you have over-built the project.  It could probably double as a jack stand in a pinch.

+2
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i agree +2

several questions though.

why such a complicated design?

why not a simple cone with a base? it's only 2 continuous welds.

how will you prevent it from rusting away?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I like it. Looks pretty cool.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job.  Thanks for posting.

I want a GD dinner pick thread after cooking dinner on that thing.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, you're not winning any cosmetic awards.  Given its size and dimensions, you may be challenged to get enough wood in there to build an adequate fire and get the BTU's you need to really cook/heat.  I hope it works out though.

I'm going to do a test this weekend, work schedule pending.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i agree +2

several questions though.

why such a complicated design?

why not a simple cone with a base? it's only 2 continuous welds.

how will you prevent it from rusting away?

The design is simple as hell.  It was a dozen cuts and that's it.  

It's 22 gauge sheet metal, so it should take awhile to "rust through", if you will.  It's not super heavy duty, though.  I've painted it black, but I'm not sure how that will wear being in direct contact with flames.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]

That's ugly as sin.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LMAO!  That was great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's got Orc written all over it!!!!!!

Two thumbs up!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like it has sharp and pointy sides which can slice a finger clean off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I see my stove is ready

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I see my stove is ready

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/588085_f520.jpg

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I got BTU's, BABY!!!!

I bought a little stainless bowl that fits quite nicely in the top of the stove.  The water wasn't covered and I did not have enough wood in the stove to bring the water (maybe 1/3 gallon) to a nice, rolling boil.  So I had to reassess and hack up some more wood, and that was enough to get it boiling no problem.

The bowl was hot enough that you wouldn't want to touch it in about a minute and (the first time) the water was in a partial-boil in about 15 minutes.

Dinner pic here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1107117&page=1

Some pictures of the stove in use:

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#31]
You need to make a way to add wood without removing the cooking vessel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pretty neat!   Def. +1 for initiative...also +1 for working on your skillz.   Good to know how to do stuff

(no offense, but I did laugh at the Orc-stove comment)

ditto  

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Needs more Eye of Sauron hovering on the top.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top