Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2010 5:40:16 PM EDT
Just curious what you all think of these: http://store.colemans.com/cart/french-military-wool-blanket-p-2508.html

Last year when the German wool blankets (Army Navy Sales I think) were being sold I only bought one, thinking I will buy it to see if I like it, so if I did not I would not be stuck with more than one. Well I liked it so much that it became a bedspread for my queen size bed, unfortunately when I went to order more they were sold out.

I received a catalog in the mail from Coleman's & seen these blankets in there & am thinking of ordering two, but was curious if any of you have opinions on them, negative or positive. I like them cause they are big dimensionally. I am 6'3" & smaller blankets just don't work for me.

Thoughts please.

Is there a better deal out there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got my catalog, was looking at them look like a good buy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
They quoted me almost $19 for shipping (on-line) on 2 blankets. That is why I am asking here about them, to see if they are worth the shipping cost on top of the price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the German wool blankets last year also and wish I would have bought more. I also bought a French WWI wool blanket it was nice not as nice as the German one and can no longer find them. I did come across these Russian wool blankets they are 5lbs and look nice and for the price I might pick two of them up.

I never have used the ones your looking at you might find out the weight of them. From the photo they look thin but who knows with photos right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a brown French surplus wool blanket which I picked up recently at I. Goldberg's in Philly for $19 OTD.  It has some sort of anti-insect treatment so it does not reek from mothballs.  Very heavy, pretty scratchy, should be warm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Deutsche Optik

They no longer have any more of the "best wool blanket in the world", the swiss Swiss officers blanket I bought, but they have the German and Italian ones still.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I forget which country it came from, but I have a nice white one on my bed right now, over a quilt. Keeps the heat nice and locked in. Mom has a few of the italian brown ones, IMO they're a bit stiff and tighter woven.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

They no longer have any more of the "best wool blanket in the world", the swiss officers blanket I bought, but they have the German and Italian ones still.

Would be nice if the German ones they have were the big ones like last years, unless the size listed is a misprint. May have to call & find out.

ETA: Went through the description again & it does not seem like a misprint.

"Each of these beauties weighs about 4.3 lbs. The perfect single bed size. "
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

They no longer have any more of the "best wool blanket in the world", the swiss officers blanket I bought, but they have the German and Italian ones still.

Are you talking about the ones that are tan and have it look like brown arrows on it?

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

Are you talking about the ones that are tan and have it look like brown arrows on it?

It sounds like he is- I wish DO would get more in stock- they're the best!
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

I ask because I found some only problem was there $100 per blanket.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

I ask because I found some only problem was there $100 per blanket.

I believe they were 3 for $120 when DO had them in stock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought one of the German wool blankets last year also and wish I would have bought more. I also bought a French WWI wool blanket it was nice not as nice as the German one and can no longer find them. I did come across these Russian wool blankets they are 5lbs and look nice and for the price I might pick two of them up.

I never have used the ones your looking at you might find out the weight of them. From the photo they look thin but who knows with photos right?

I have one if these blankets. They're a BLEND not 100% wool. They're ok but not as nice as the Italian blankets. I wish I could get a German one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
i have 3 i think USMC blankets  or odd colored army from the late 40's  and a more current usn medical blanket got all 4 for $15.00  @ salvation army

so check  salvation army,  good will, local thrif shops and save
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one if these blankets. They're a BLEND not 100% wool. They're ok but not as nice as the Italian blankets. I wish I could get a German one.

Thanks for the heads up on that saved me some money. It's hard to find a  good wool blanket without spending a lot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deutsche Optik

Yes.

I don't even like wool at all, but this blanket doesn't really bother me ... and it's heavy and warm as hell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#19]

This Italian blanket is the best all around I've ever had:
http://store.colemans.com/cart/wool-blanket-italian-p-2255.html

Not the softest, but super tough and dense.  Larger than most as well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any good sources for the USGI OD green blankets?  I could use a few more.

Try this place they have all kinds there from jungle ones to heavy ones.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
tagscribed i need a couple of these
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a nice German blanket last year from Old Grouch- IIRC it had a date from the '60s on the sewn-on tag.  I should have bought another one or two of those...
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#23]

We bought a few of the Israeli wool blankets from Old Grouch for $15.  They're not as nice as the German ones, but they'll do.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We bought a few of the Israeli wool blankets from Old Grouch for $15.  They're not as nice as the German ones, but they'll do.

Are they nicer then the Italian blankets? No flame on the Italian blankets there great just a little rough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Ebay linky

FYI, I just found some of those Swedish Officers Wool Blankets on ebay.  I hope I didn't get hosed, but I bought one for the buy it now price of $90 +$10 shipping.  Ad says he has three more and that they are brand new old stock.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they nicer then the Italian blankets? No flame on the Italian blankets there great just a little rough.

That I don't know –– I haven't seen one of the Italian blankets.  I think these are 80% wool, 20% something else.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That I don't know –– I haven't seen one of the Italian blankets.  I think these are 80% wool, 20% something else.  

Thanks I might get a few of them! At the price they are at
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ebay linky

FYI, I just found some of those Swedish Officers Wool Blankets on ebay.  I hope I didn't get hosed, but I bought one for the buy it now price of $90 +$10 shipping.  Ad says he has three more and that they are brand new old stock.  

If the picture listed is the blanket you're actually getting, that's the blanket I have.  Same sticker and everything ... you just paid way more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

If the picture listed is the blanket you're actually getting, that's the blanket I have.  Same sticker and everything ... you just paid way more.

Figures.   Oh well, its only money

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Youch!  It's really nice blanket tho.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

Just found them here for 50.00 apiece. ordered two and it went thru. if I get an email saying they are out ill post it    http://go-armynavy.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody have these: http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=armynavy&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=687206447&Count2=604346871&ProductID=3068&Target=products.asp&__utma=1.202427060.1287714114.1287714114.1287953327.2&__utmb=1.3.10.1287953327&__utmx=-&__utmc=1&__utmz=1.1287954915.2.3.utmcsr=yahoo|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=surplus%20wool%20blankets&__utmv=-&__utmk=230065308

They are nice & big like I'm wanting/needing, but are they comparable to the German blankets of last year?

ETA: May have found some of the German blankets like last years, in very good used condition with just some minor fraying on the edges. Says they are 6.56ft x 6.8ft. Just my size. Gonna call them tomorrow for more info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

Just found them here for 50.00 apiece. ordered two and it went thru. if I get an email saying they are out ill post it    http://go-armynavy.com/

I had found those, but it said they were used, and I kinda wanted new. Let us know how they are when you get them

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

[/quote

I had found those, but it said they were used, and I kinda wanted new. Let us know how they are when you get them

hmmm......dont see that on the web page. Where did you see it ?

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#35]

These are all 100% wool and look to be as nice as anything I can find out there.  The prices are right too!

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

[/quote

Hell, I dont know  I swear I saw it earlier, maybe it was another website.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#37]
If you search for wool blanket this is what I got. You might try giving Eddie a call or email. I go to his store all the time in Billings and its a great place he is really helpful in finding what you are after and might have it in his store but not on the website.............Billings Army Navy is GTG.

ETA. link does not go to the blankets do a search for wool blanket

http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/wool-blankets/swedish-military-officer-s-wool-blanket.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#38]
They look well worth it to me. I have been known to spend a lot money on wool blankets. I just like them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#39]
OK, I just called place that I mentioned earlier that I thought had the used German blankets like I bought last year, & the blankets are the same so I ordered 2 more. The guy I spoke to on the phone was very helpful & friendly. Shipping was pretty reasonable at $15 & some change from TX to IA on heavy items.

He said they are brown even though the pics make them look green, & that he would pick out the 2 very best blankets he has.
http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2374

I will post an update after I get them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebay linky

[/quote

Hell, I dont know  I swear I saw it earlier, maybe it was another website.

I just recieved them.....if they are used you cant tell it.........These are fantastic......the italian ones are good.....the german are great....and these are superb.
I mustve got the last of them as they arent on his site anymore........If you see these become available again and you want a wool blanket buy one....or 4
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I got my German wool blankets Friday, they are in very good condition & very big. They fit on my Queen size bed. I am very happy with them.

I think they are a different version (different stripes, same markings) of the 6lb one I ordered last year from ArmyNavySales.com from this thread: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=629529.

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got a bit of a collection going on and eventually I'll do a thread on this, so far my personal ratings are

(I also haven't bought or 'tested' the Swedish or Swiss blankets)

1. German
2. Czech
3. French
4. Italian
5. U.S. Korean-era
6. E. German
7. Israeli
8. U.S. current/modern
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got my German wool blankets Friday, they are in very good condition & very big. They fit on my Queen size bed. I am very happy with them.

I think they are a different version (different stripes, same markings) of the 6lb one I ordered last year from ArmyNavySales.com from this thread: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=629529.

They're perfect on a Queen sized bed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I just bought (3) US military issue wool blankets, 100% wool.  Picked them up for $10 per blanket at a local surplus store.

Best prices I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just recieved them.....if they are used you cant tell it.........These are fantastic......the italian ones are good.....the german are great....and these are superb.
I mustve got the last of them as they arent on his site anymore........If you see these become available again and you want a wool blanket buy one....or 4

Aren't they badass?!  I wish I could find more- they are hands down the best I have bought ( I also have the Italian and German blankets).
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Someone tell me why wool blankets are the bees knees and why I need a coupe lying around.  Please.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Off the top of my head:

Wool is flame retardant.

Wool maintains it's warmth when damp.  It's a very good insulator.

Wool is tough and durable- it doesn't wear out as quickly as synthetics.

Wool is easy to care for as it resists dirt and can be cleaned/freshened by brushing or rinsing and then airing and exposing to sunlight.

Wool is naturally mildew and mold resistant.

Wool "breathes" and wicks away moisture without overcooling you.

Wool is slightly water-repellant - it can resists spills, drizzle and snow.

Wool resists wrinkles.  It easily pulls back into it's manufactured shape.

Wool is not an allergen.  The lanolin and chemicals in it might be, but most people can use wool without any problems.

There's nothing like the feel of a heavy woolen blanket on top of you.  Instant warmth and a weight that comforts without oppressing.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Kar.  You make a strong argument.  I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand.  You guys always cost me money.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks Kar.  You make a strong argument.  I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand.  You guys always cost me money.  

Best I've come across.  Where did you find them in stock?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best I've come across.  Where did you find them in stock?

The link posted above, though they may not be the German blankets everyone here holds in such high regards.  They're labeled German and 100% wool.  They do seem lighter than some of the other blankets.  I'm anxious to get them, but have nothing else to compare them to since they're my first wool blankets.
http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top