Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:53 PM EDT
You thought this was about the book, didn't you?  

Our power went out at 12:30 today.  The power company website estimated almost 100,000 in their service area without power.  They told "The Boss" it would most likely be tomorrow morning for the lights to be restored in our area.  I got home at 5:00 and pulled out the generator, changed the oil in it, and cranked her up.   Put the window unit in the bedroom window and plugged it, the fridge, the freezer, and of course the laptop in.   I did run out to get some burgers.  Other than that, I had everything else.  

More updates later.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You know your just wrong for that. So when do I get to have you sign my copy? still waiting
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No book for sale

No pics of cobbler baking in the dutch oven

ETA ya made me look
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
you suck.

I thought we were in for an update.

your writing gets me every single time, even when you're kidding...  you suck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
 tease!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow you really suck... you are gonna screw around and not get that book out soon and I'm gonna be in the middle of building my cabin and not have any money to buy it.  Then I'm going to have to sell a kidney or maybe the next door neighbor's kid or something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I think every one that checked this thread needs a autographed and numbered book from you once its out .
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think every one that checked this thread needs a autographed and numbered book from you once its out .

Great Idea!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Darn right I thought it was about the book.

I hope your post isn't the beginning of a new book, because as far as a survival stories go, it sucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Mean...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 tease!

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great Idea!

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great Idea!

Agreed

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I usually go thru all that and the power comes back on as I'm either making the last connection or with 2 minutes of me finally sitting back down w/a cool drink in my hand.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
you suck.

I thought we were in for an update.

your writing gets me every single time, even when you're kidding...  you suck.

+1

Seriously, when are you going to get it published?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
saw the thread, got my CC and open thread.. now i'm sad. really want to read this book, or should i say. the book with the same title as this thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
saw the thread, got my CC and open thread.. now i'm sad. really want to read this book, or should i say. the book with the same title as this thread.

yep...I'm one of the late comers that only read a partial pdf before they got pulled down.

C'mon already!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
DUDE, we talked about it, rememeber? 1)Go to CreateSpace.com  2)upload the book and cover3) Done. People can buy it on Amazon, you keep the copyright, so you can still sell it later to a publishing compnay, do a movie, or just about anything you want. Hell you can stop selling it entirely if you regret it. I'll tell you one thing though, its damn nice to see your book there, read people' s reviews (you already know people love it) , and yes make some money.

It just can't be any more simple. I want to buy your book! So does a lot of people.
I'd like to recommend it to my blog readers as well.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#18]
what a tease
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Publish it !
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, karma is a bitch, and I reckon I had it coming after teasing you all.

About two hours after I posted, the generator crapped out.  It'll start on the first pull and run for about 30 seconds.  If I let it sit for just a few seconds, it'll do the same thing over and over, so I'm pretty sure it's a fuel delivery problem.  The fuel flows out of the tank fine and the fuel line is clear.  I think I've got a piece of trash in the carb or the float is bad or something simple like that, but I wasn't up to pulling it completely apart at midnight.  

I was so proud of myself, too.  I thought I was totally prepared this time.  I had tested the genny just a few weeks ago.  I had gas, extention cords, surge protectors, and even oil for the engine.  I didn't have to run out for anything.  Then, Murphy showed up!   It was so humid last night and there wasn't any breeze at all until about 5 this morning, so I'm running on a couple of hours sleep.  I know, it serves me right.

The power is still out, but hopefully it will be back on by lunch.  The power company website says they are down to 17,000 customers without power this morning.  I'm starting to get worried about the meat in the freezer, but hopefully the time I ran the freezer last night will have been enough.  If not, big BBQ at my place this weekend!

On the book, I still have a lot of unknowns, so I don't have a release date yet.  A lot of people are working very hard to make sure we have it as soon as possible.   I can say that this is WAY more work than I thought it would be.  Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a better handle on where we are, and I promise I'll let you all know.  Thanks for all the support and I am very, very, very sorry for teasing you all.    Donne3 is right.  I do suck!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Bummer about the power outage....bigger bummer about the generator...biggest bummer is no release date for the book yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I still want to buy about 10 copies and have them autographed for the library I run.  I would LOVE to have you come up here and hold a forum on publishing you work and what it entailed to move from the brain to arfcom to hardback.  
Yea private schools...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 for a free signed copy.....   And the cover of the book needs to be in Multicam PLEASE!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the book, I still have a lot of unknowns, so I don't have a release date yet.  A lot of people are working very hard to make sure we have it as soon as possible.   I can say that this is WAY more work than I thought it would be.  Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a better handle on where we are, and I promise I'll let you all know.  Thanks for all the support and I am very, very, very sorry for teasing you all.    Donne3 is right.  I do suck!

I have so many unprepared friends waiting for a copy.  

I'm waiting for the reviews on Amazon....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I would like pg 2

Lights are on here
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Being new to the SF here at ARFCOM I had not heard of this book and with the numerous glowing reviews I have since downloaded and can't wait to read it.

ETA: only a few sentences in and I already know this is going to be a great book.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Did Jon Olsen swing by to let you know there was a meeting down at his house ??  

Just wondering...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn, that's just wrong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Our power went out at 12:30 today.  The power company website estimated almost 100,000 in their service area without power.  They told "The Boss" it would most likely be tomorrow morning for the lights to be restored in our area.  I got home at 5:00 and pulled out the generator, changed the oil in it, and cranked her up.   Put the window unit in the bedroom window and plugged it, the fridge, the freezer, and of course the laptop in.   I did run out to get some burgers.  Other than that, I had everything else.  

More updates later.

You bastard!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't have a backup generator?

[protus] poser [/protus]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#32]
ban him!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

More updates later.

Yes, I did.

Quit teasing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Another update.  Went home at lunch and worked on genny.  It wasn't the carb, it was the low oil shutoff switch that went bad.  Got it fixed and the fridge and freezer are going again.  The only thing that thawed out was a package of jalapeño franks and a half gallon of ice cream.  The power company website says that our power should be back up at 4:00 today, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another update.  Went home at lunch and worked on genny.  It wasn't the carb, it was the low oil shutoff switch that went bad.  Got it fixed and the fridge and freezer are going again.  The only thing that thawed out was a package of jalapeño franks and a half gallon of ice cream.  The power company website says that our power should be back up at 4:00 today, but I'm not holding my breath.

you don't have to hold your breath.  you wrote the book on power outages.  

(  I crack myself up...)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did Jon Olsen swing by to let you know there was a meeting down at his house ??  

Just wondering...

Go heavy!  That Olsen guy creeps me out.

You don't know how much money that book has cost me......

And good luck on the book.  I'll be buying a copy to go with my PDF.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#37]
what book?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
what book?

only the single greatest survival novel ever written.  ever.  

ever.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what book?

ever.

ever

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
what book?

ever.

ever

ayep
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
what book?

ever.

ever

ayep

He makes the sun rise doesn't he
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Any links to what has been written so far?  I am new in this area so dont shoot me yet.

ETA:  Did the power come back up????
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any links to what has been written so far?  I am new in this area so dont shoot me yet.

the book is fully written, but all known soft copies have been pulled since it's getting published...  it's worth the wait, though, so when it comes out, give it a look.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

you're from texas and you haven't read IT? BS, it's manditory reading, you must not be from TX.

oh, and if you threaten to burn it, your entire family will be consumed by a herd of MZB's
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the book is fully written, but all known soft copies have been pulled since it's getting published...  it's worth the wait, though, so when it comes out, give it a look.  

That part I did not know. Good for Halffast, I look forward to seeing it on the NYT best sellers list.

Group buy anyone?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Lights Out.... that title has bee taken. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and thought the book had been published.  I love your book and have shared it with many friends who all say it's one of the best book they have ever read. It will be sad if your next book is "Generator Fail".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lights Out.... that title has bee taken. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and thought the book had been published.  I love your book and have shared it with many friends who all say it's one of the best book they have ever read. It will be sad if your next book is "Generator Fail".

OK, that made me LOL...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#48]
OK, you guys are embarrassing me.  I'm very flattered that you all like it, but come on, it's just a novel, not the gospel according to Halffast.    Thanks so much for all of the encoragement.  You guys are the best!

The power did come back on at 6:30 Wednesday night and the genny ran flawlessly from about 12:30 until then.  

Now, back to editing the book.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OK, you guys are embarrassing me.  ... it's just a novel...

But it's the best novel in the genre.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#50]
It's not just a novel, it made me think about my current life situation and change some things.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top