Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2010 6:50:20 PM EDT
ok guys been looking at (2)

this one is fairly cheap, gets good reviews........but doesnt filter out viruses.....mostly everything else including pesticides, chemicals, and arsenic.

http://www.justwater.me/index-3.html

this one is fairly expensive and looks to filter out all protoza, bacteria, cysts, and VIRUS.........but does not filter pesticides, chemicals, or arsenic.

http://www.sawyerpointonefilters.com/point-zero-two-purifier.php

which would you go with and why?  what would be a better filter for us here in the staes.....especially down south.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There might not be a lot of people with experience with these water filters. I have looked at the sawyer at Walmart many times but never made the jump since my Katadyn hikers have covered my needs so well. I do know sawyer has a good reputation so I would believe it is a reasonable choice. I might just pick one up for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a first need water filter its big bulky but works great and lasts a long time. My home water filter was bad so to make my tea I used the first need for a day or two it only took about 5 min to fill up the 1 gal jug.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a Sawyer from Wally's that i carry in my GHB.  I tested it and it works, but you have to suck like hell to get anything out of it.

If a Crunch happens, then it will do the job.  and the price is right.

I'm going to test pushing it through a gravity feed and see if it will filter like the bigger units they sell will.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking for something that will do high volume...........the First need looks good........looks as if it removes bacteria, protozoa, cysts, viruses, and chemicals/pesticides...is this correct?

what other filters will filter all that?  I am not concerned about weight or size so much as this wont be for hiking but more for emergency purposes around home.....I have many ponds and lakes in my area
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am looking for something that will do high volume...........the First need looks good........looks as if it removes bacteria, protozoa, cysts, viruses, and chemicals/pesticides...is this correct?

what other filters will filter all that?  I am not concerned about weight or size so much as this wont be for hiking but more for emergency purposes around home.....I have many ponds and lakes in my area

I'm in for an answer on this, too.  I'd like some kind of high-production filter setup to augment my MSR.  I figure pumping that MSR every day for water around the house would get old REALLY quick.

By the way, Survivorman, I think you said we are relatively close to each other.  Maybe we should try and meet up some day?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used a sawyer filter on wilderness trips the last 2 years and really like it
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The Sawyer point-02 would be the best filter.  it costs a little more, but it is absolutely the tightest filter that i have seen.

According to the flow rate, with a 5 gallon bucket, and a 3 foot hose into your clean bucket, you can expect 3.5 gallons per hour, or 87 gallons per day.  That is assuming you are at sea level, like here in Tampa Bay, and that the water is relatively clear.  That's a lot of water in one day.  The filter is rated for 1 million gallons, but i think that is based on theory, not on actual testing.  They are assuming unlimited back washing.

If you can get near 20,000 gallons out of it, it is about half the price of a katadyn pocket filter, which is rated for 13,000 gallons through the colloidal silver filter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have been watching the Sawyers for several months,
been thinking heavily about the .02 4-liter, but maybe the bucket would be better for home use

may pull the trigger this weekend.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the sawyer........I just dont care that it wont filter out pesticides and such

I like the just water filter......but it wont knock out Viruses

the First need filter looks as if it may do it all and is not a bad price

I want something that will filter out everything.......I know you can boil water and kill viruses(but what a pain)    I worry about pesticides and such as well.....who knows what people dump in ponds and stuff.  COme on guys we have all these so called survivalists and nobody can recommend a filter that will knock out all this shit?? lol :)    I know viruses are not very common in our ponds, creeks and so on(correct?)  but why take chances.....and the pesticides and shit just worry me.......you can filter all the water you like  but if you got chemicals in the water your screwed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#11]
These are the ONLY two water filters I've been looking at.
I personally believe that I should be willing to drop a little more cash on a nicer filter if it's going to do the job of getting all anything that could effect my health when I need it the most!

This first filter is the Lifesaver Bottle 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle ($149.99) and it filters down to 15 nanometers... and the smallest viruses are 25 nanometers, so it does a great job!
http://www.amazon.com/Lifesaver-Bottle-4000-Ultra-Filtration/dp/B001EHF99A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1274448819&sr=8-2

The second filter option is the Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter ($224.29) and it filters any organisms larger than 0.2 microns.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U00YE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1257660137&sr=1-3

The water capacity and output is greater on the second, but I'd personally go with the first filter because it seems to do a better job.
The first filter also has a safety feature that stops the flow of water when the filter needs to be changed (which would decrease it's ability to filter safely)

Bran <><
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Survivorman,  have you thought about a "double-down".  I haven't seen a filter that will filter out virus and pesticides.  If you like the two you listed, then get both, and use one in series with the other.  I would put the sawyer first in the line since it can be backflushed "forever" and then use the Just water filter to get any remaining pesticides.  If price isn't an issue, sounds like that might work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The use of a granulated charcoal or carbon block inline filter can remove pesticides and other VOCs after a biological filter takes care of bacteria and viruses.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one of the MSR HyperFlow Water Filter

Hollow fiber technology offers an extremely high flow rate of 2.75 liters per minute
At just 7.8 oz., the HyperFlow is the lightest, most compact pump filter created by MSR
Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others
Pump is fully field maintainable and does not require tools for complete disassembly
Included Quick-Connect™ bottle cap interfaces with MSR hydration products, Nalgene bottles and other containers with 63mm threaded openings
Quick-Connect™ cap allows the pump to attach directly to the bottle or hydration bladder for the most convenient filling
Included prefilter attaches to the end of the intake hose and blocks larger contaminants from entering the microfilter
Prefilter floats near the surface of the water to avoid intake of contaminants located at the floor of your water source
Over-molded end caps on the pump provide an excellent grip and pumping comfort
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
If I'm letting gravity do the work it'll be with one of these.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Now this is what I was looking for.....I new the AR15 crew would not let me down :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top