Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2010 12:27:16 PM EDT
I'm thinking about moving my chest freezer out of my heated basement, and into my unheated, but attached garage.  The garage is adjoining the heated basement, and under the living room, so it stays relatively warm.  The coldest it has been in 3 years is 34 degrees when outdoors it has been well below zero, and around zero for days in a row.

The current freezer is a 3 year old, 15cu.ft. Kenmore, but I'm considering picking up an large older upright from somewhere when opportunity knocks, so I'm curious about slightly older ones too.

I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not it's a good idea to put your freezer someplace unheated, thought I'd ask first.

Anyone have an opinion?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a chest freezer in my unheated garage and never had a problem with it.

I think the key is to try and keep it as full as you can.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
34 isn't cold.  It will be fine.  Install an alarm to tell you if it stops working or loses power.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the key is to try and keep it as full as you can.

Sumbitch it always packed, that's why I need another.

Quoted:
34 isn't cold.  It will be fine.  Install an alarm to tell you if it stops working or loses power.

No, it really isn't, but I don't want to assume anything considering the cost of the contents.  I've been looking for a nice alarm, but I open the freezer almost daily for dinner, so it's been low priority.

Quoted:
Think about this. Does it work harder in the summer yes, then it should have to work less in the winter.

Sounds logical to me, I was hoping for a little added benefit from it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't worry about the cold.  I've got a chest freezer in a detached shop that every winter gets well below zero... it just doesn't have to run the compressor to keep things cold .
The bigger problem is the summer, when it's 90-100F in there.  Then it has to work a lot more than it would in the house.  An insulating blanket or something like that helps; we kept the original cardboard box the freezer came in and use that (with a cutout for an air intake) to trap a layer of air next to the freezer.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My grandmother has one in her garage thats atleast 10-15 years old. Garage is unheated in the winter/uncooled in the summer. She has never had a problem with hers. Only thing she did was hook up a wireless temperature unit and has the receiver mounted in her kitchen. She checks it daily i'd imagine and changes the batteries as needed in the unit, it starts beepin and flashin when it's time to do so.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
mine is in my garage too. works fine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
make an R board enclosure for it in the summer so it doesnt' have to work so hard.  Just make sure the hot car can come out the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]
An insulating blanket or something like that helps; we kept the original cardboard box the freezer came in and use that (with a cutout for an air intake) to trap a layer of air next to the freezer.

No.  Do Not Do This.  

On a chest freezer the outside walls radiate the heat away from the interior.  Covering a chest freezer with insulation is like running a marathon wearing a parka.

Don't do it !     If it is an upright,  and the coils are exposed on the back, then you could effectively wrap the rest of it in foam.

NOT on a chest freezer !!!!

here,  look at this....  http://www.repairclinic.com/Freezer-Chest-Appliance-Diagram

All of the walls are heat exchanger surface.

The only time you would ever wrap a chest freezer is during a power outage,  and you have no power.

The only two locations that could be insulated in normal use are the top and the floor, but not the walls.  Glue some foam on the lid,  set the unit on top a couple inches of foam to insulate the floor, but unless you are forcing air around the case with a computer fan,  boxing it in defeats the purpose.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The in-laws here in SW MO keep 2 freezer chests and a fridge in the car port with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a 30+ year old chest type freezer out in my shop right now. As far as I know, it's never been in an air conditioned or heated area. My uncle's got a 50+ year old refrigerator sitting under the carport by his shop...most of it's life has been outside. Still keeps beer cold.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An insulating blanket or something like that helps; we kept the original cardboard box the freezer came in and use that (with a cutout for an air intake) to trap a layer of air next to the freezer.

No.  Do Not Do This.  

On a chest freezer the outside walls radiate the heat away from the interior.  Covering a chest freezer with insulation is like running a marathon wearing a parka.

Don't do it !     If it is an upright,  and the coils are exposed on the back, then you could effectively wrap the rest of it in foam.

here,  look at this....  http://www.repairclinic.com/Freezer-Chest-Appliance-Diagram

The only time you would ever wrap a chest freezer is during a power outage,  and you have no power.

The only two locations that could be insulated in normal use are the top and the floor, but not the walls.  Glue some foam on the lid,  set the unit on top a couple inches of foam to insulate the floor, but unless you are forcing air around the case with a computer fan,  boxing it in defeats the purpose.

Oops, thanks for letting me know.  I thought it was like a house fridge where there was heat exchanger coils on the bottom w/ a fan that blew out the hot air & the sides & top were just inactive insulation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Not at all.    

You're welcome.

This is why SF is so good. Just the facts.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Do Not Do This.  

Oops, thanks for letting me know.  I thought it was like a house fridge where there was heat exchanger coils on the bottom w/ a fan that blew out the hot air & the sides & top were just inactive insulation.

+1
The cardboard, she is off!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My parents have had two chest freezers in an unheated and attached garage for 35 years with no problems, and no repairs.  They have another in an unattached shed for at least that long.  

Rest easy and go for it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a freezer in my utility room. It did fine when it was 115 the other day.

Watch out for this, though:

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Our temps top out in the 125 degree region around here, and our chest freezer from home depot has been running great for 7 years.  Just like others have said keep it full, if you can't I recommend you almost fill (water expands when you freeze it) some 2-liter soda bottles to take up the excess space and provide for support of the freezer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top