Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2009 9:17:36 AM EDT
First, I don't know shit about batteries.

Have you finally decided to make the switch from alkaline batteries to rechargeable batteries?

I did make that decision and started out to learn a little about batteries.

The most common consumer use Rechargeable batteries are categorized by 2 different types; NiMH Battery (Nickel Metal Hydride) and NiCD Battery (Nickel Cadmium). The working voltage on both of these types is 1.2V, whereas alkaline batteries have a voltage of 1.5v. There is no need to worry as NiMH and NiCD Batteries will work in any consumer product that takes alkaline batteries of the same size

We find two basic types of consumer rechargeable batteries:

NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) (The newer technology)

&

NiCD (Nickel Cadium)
Rechargeable batteries are rated with a mAh (Milliamp Hours) rating. The mAh represent the capacity of the battery. Therefore the higher the mAh rating the longer the battery will last once it is charged. A rechargeable battery that is rated 2000 mAh will power your electronic device twice as long as battery that is rated 1000 mAh.

Rechargeables are rated by mAh (milliamp hours) The higher the mAh, the longer the battery will power your device before needing a charge.

I quickly learned that a D cell alkaline battery might be rated at say 1200 mAh while a good AA NiMH cell might be 2000 mAh. That D Cell would be merely the housing for a battery with less power (run time) than a good AA.

NiMH rechargeable batteries are a newer technology then NiCD rechargeable batteries and have become the more popular choice these days.

There are 3 main differences between these 2 types of batteries.

1) Memory Effect - Nicd

batteries suffer from this issue. If you continuously charge your NiCD batteries when they are only half discharged they will eventually get a memory and you will only be able to use half their capacity. NiMH Batteries do not have the memory effect.

2) NiMH batteries have a much higher mAh rating then NiCD Batteries.

3) You can charge a NiMH battery almost twice as many times as a NiCD battery

Advantages of NiMH are pretty obvious.

Rechargeable batteries will come with very little to no charge. Once the battery is charged, they start to lose around 2% - 3% of their capacity a day, when not in use. Therefore after a month's time most Rechargeable batteries will need to be charged.

Reference above is to BOTH NiCD and NiMH.

BUT:

However there is now a new technology called low discharge rechargeable battery. This battery which also comes in all sizes will be delivered to you fully charged. As well it will only lose 15% of the capacity over an entire year.

Soooooo.... NiMH batteries with "low discharge" technology seems the way to go for devices where we insert batteries and let the device sit for a time. Flashlights and battery powered lanterns come to mind.

NiMH batteries with low discharge feature come fully charged.
We recommend getting NiMH batteries for high drainage devices such as Cameras, Flashes, Radios and Flash Lights. NiCD batteries are ideal for Solar lights, remote controls and other items not requiring an excessive amount of power

Site recommendations above.

http://www.onlybatteries.com/?cat1=14
Added note.

When you look on the site, you'll se that slightly higher mAh ratings are available in NiMH batteries WITHOUT the low discharge feature.

Example:

D-Cell WITH low discharge seems to be about 10,000 mAh maximum.

D-Cell WITHOUT low discharge feature seems to be 12,000 mAh maximum.

I'm sure there is a technical reason though I have no idea what that technical reason might be.
Specifications:

• Size: D

• Capacity: 10000 mAh

• Chemistry: Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)

• Voltage: 1.2V

• Brand: AccuPower

• Included Qty: 1

Features:

• No memory effect

• Reliable service life

• Long-Lasting Performance

• Low Self Discharge

• High Discharge Rate

• Recharges up to 1000 Cycles

• Saves you hundreds of dollars compared to Alkaline batteries

• Can be replaced in any product that uses D Batteries

Note: These Batteries come pre-charged, and can maintain 85% of their charge even after a year in storage or standby.

Above are specs on what I believe is a good NiMH D-cell battery.

NOTE:

No memory effect

Recharges up to 1000 cycles

Low discharge

I'm going to post my invoice where I ordered. In no way am I saying this is the best site to buy from or that my prices are good prices or that my battery selection is the best. The guy at this site spent some time with helping me understand on the phone and I bought batteries from him:

<th>#</th> <th>Product</th> <th>Description</th> <th>Quantity</th> <th>Price</th> <th>Amount</th> </>

1110676969: Vanson BC1HU Universal Smart Charger

2155768 x 12455: AA AccuEvolution 2200 mAH Nimh Battery (Low Discharge)

3153084 x 12254: C AccuEvolution 4500 mAH Nimh Battery (Low Discharge)

4153054 x 12255: D AccuEvolution 10000 mAH Nimh Battery (Low Discharge)

51560812320: 14 Head LED Flashlight (Die Cast Metal) - Black

6153558 x 12416: AAA *White* Tenergy 1000 mAh NiMH Battery (Low Discharge)

Shipping$17.30
Sub Total$216.51
GST/HST$0.00
PST$0.00
Total$216.51

As usual, as you can see from the prices above, there ain't no free lunch.

I'm hoping some of you better technical guys will add to/correct my posting.
5sub
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No mention of lithium ion? That's all I use. 18650s and 14500s, mostly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Sanyo Eneloop AA.

Agreed. I too like these batteries.
5sub

ETA:

Lacrosse BC-700 charger. Finally found the specs......turns out the specs are in the pictures.   Seems to be a good charger.  I'll wait on the one I have on the way but will probably get this charger too.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any links Skillshot ??

18650's and 14500's ...........D cells.............AA ??

Is a different charger necessary ??
5sub
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The most common consumer use Rechargeable batteries are categorized by 2 different types; NiMH Battery (Nickel Metal Hydride) and NiCD Battery (Nickel Cadmium). The working voltage on both of these types is 1.2V, whereas alkaline batteries have a voltage of 1.5v. There is no need to worry as NiMH and NiCD Batteries will work in any consumer product that takes alkaline batteries of the same size

I am no expert on batteries, but I know this is NOT true.

I have a handheld GPS (Magellan) which requires 2 akaline 'AA' batteries and it will NOT run with either NiCD or MiNH rechargeables. (and yes they were charged).
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the rechargeables you come across now will be NIMH. NiCad is something you have to look hard for, like at RC shops. The NiCad excels at extemely high output and fast charge times.

The low self discharge are considerably more robust than the high amphour batts, and take room away that could have been used for storing power otherwise. They also tend to do better than high capacity batteries in high discharge applications.

The lithium ion are a specialized battery that works in very few applications. It works at three times the voltage, requires a special charger, and loose cells require special care in use. Some flashlights allow their use, but beyond that they are a no go. You can't throw them in your digicam, mini mag, clock radio, remote control, etc.

I find that I use a lot of the AA and AAA batts, and have been using the Eneloops and their smart charger( which I don't think they sell anymore) for almost two years now. It is a lot easier to put batteries on the charger than to keep stocks around the house, and considerably cheaper. You can also get ahold of cheaper chargers that will run off 12v, which would be nice in a power outage. Use a smart charger normally, and then use the 12v one in an emergency. The smart charger will keep the batts in better shape.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a handheld GPS (Magellan) which requires 2 akaline 'AA' batteries and it will NOT run with either NiCD or MiNH rechargeables.

My Garmin also does not run on lithium cells.  Only alkaline works.

Question a couple posts up asking if lithium batteries need a different charge  –– strongly worded for emphasis –– DO NOT charge lithium batteries with any charger not expressly designed for lithium cells.

They have a tendency to explode and burn ... really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw&feature=related
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I run rechargeable AAs in jsut about everything I use AAs for.

I have this charger with a bunch of the 2500mAh batteries:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BCG-34HVE4-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000OOQ7MW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1250288960&sr=8-8

Mine didn't come with a car adapter though.

If you use older rechargeables it might be worth upgrading to the higher mAh batteries and a charger that can charge them. Capacity has changed quite a bit in the last few years.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any links Skillshot ??

18650's and 14500's ...........D cells.............AA ??

Is a different charger necessary ??
5sub

dablues states:

DO NOT charge lithium batteries with any charger not expressly designed for lithium cells. They have a tendency to explode and burn ... really.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Most of the rechargeables you come across now will be NIMH. NiCad is something you have to look hard for, like at RC shops. The NiCad excels at extemely high output and fast charge times.

The low self discharge are considerably more robust than the high amphour batts, and take room away that could have been used for storing power otherwise. They also tend to do better than high capacity batteries in high discharge applications.

The lithium ion are a specialized battery that works in very few applications. It works at three times the voltage, requires a special charger, and loose cells require special care in use. Some flashlights allow their use, but beyond that they are a no go. You can't throw them in your digicam, mini mag, clock radio, remote control, etc.

I find that I use a lot of the AA and AAA batts, and have been using the Eneloops and their smart charger( which I don't think they sell anymore) for almost two years now. It is a lot easier to put batteries on the charger than to keep stocks around the house, and considerably cheaper. You can also get ahold of cheaper chargers that will run off 12v, which would be nice in a power outage. Use a smart charger normally, and then use the 12v one in an emergency. The smart charger will keep the batts in better shape.

A-C,

not arguing with you but I see a good many Nicad around.

http://www.onlybatteries.com/?cat1=13

Thanks for the input re lithium ion.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A-C,

not arguing with you but I see a good many Nicad around.

http://www.onlybatteries.com/?cat1=13

Thanks for the input re lithium ion.

5sub

I hadn't seen those marketed like that. I thought that everyone had quit buying them so they disquised them as RC packs in order to get rid of remaining inventory. J/K.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sanyo Eneloop AA.

Agreed. I too like these batteries.
5sub

ETA:

Lacrosse BC-700 charger. Finally found the specs......turns out the specs are in the pictures. Seems to be a good charger. I'll wait on the one I have on the way but will probably get this charger too.

More on the Eneloop batteries:

Self-Discharge: Why Conventional Rechargeables Don't Cut It

Conventional rechargeable batteries have numerous advantages that make them great to use for your portable electronics. But they also come with certain disadvantages. After purchase, rechargeable batteries have to be charged before they can be used. And once charged, rechargeable batteries lose the stored energy rather fast. The charging takes quite long and rapid chargers are expensive. Not only that, but continuous charging or frequent charge to "top off" the lost energy (without complete discharge) can destroy the battery.

All these negative attributes have one root-cause: self discharge. Self-discharge means that a charged battery slowly discharges itself without any equipment consuming any current. This is the reason for rechargeable batteries being sold in a discharged state. And this is the reason that keeping charged batteries for some time did not make any sense. When you needed them, the energy was gone. Sanyo eneloop batteries have an extremely low rate of self-discharge, which means they hold their stored energy for a very long time––charge your batteries once and put them in your kitchen drawer, and over a year from now you'll still be able to use them right away, without needing to charge them again.

Under the Hood: How eneloop Controls Self-Discharge

How can the self-discharge in the eneloop be so reduced? The self-discharge of Ni-MH batteries is caused by three main reasons:

• The chemical decomposition of the cathode

• The natural disaggregation of the anode

• Impurities of the anode

The chemical decomposition of the cathode has been reduced substantially by the use of a new hydrogen-absorbing superlattice alloy. As an additional benefit the superlattice alloy increases the electrical capacity of the battery and reduces the internal resistance, which allows higher discharge currents than conventional rechargeables. Also, the anode has been strengthened by the improvement of the electrolyte composition, which reduces the natural decomposition by increasing the oxygen over-voltage.

This gives eneloop batteries a number of advantages over traditional alkaline batteries, including up to four times more power when used in a digital camera, high performance even at low temperatures (down to 23 degrees F) during your winter vacation, and a vast cost savings in the long run. The eneloop advantages are even more glaring when compared to typical NiMH batteries: not only are they ready for use right out of the box, but they generally last longer than most NiMH batteries (continuous and frequent recharging can destroy other NiMH models) and save both time and money (traditional NiMH charging is slow when you're in a hurry, while rapid chargers are expensive). All told, you can recharge eneloop batteries up to 1,000 times without experiencing a "memory effect"––just charge the amount you need and you're set.
Product Description

Rechargeable 1000 timesNo memory effect - a full charge every time.  Pre-charged for immediate use batteries into the 21st century. eneloop is a totally new type of battery, which satisfies in a unique way the needs and expectations of the consumers.

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is my favorite battery site: AllBattery

These are actually some pretty nice low cost NiMhs. Be advised after the first order, they send you a nice discount on your next one.

Good site. I found a flashlight I liked (http://www.all-battery.com/TenergyT80PREMIUMTacticalLEDFlashlight.aspx) and also bought some NiMh batteries. And YES, I received a coupon for free shipping on my next order of $25 or more.
5sub

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top