Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 1:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, those night pics really make the Hikvision shine.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redjeepxj] [#5]
I bought the China version from AliExpressit also had the bare wires.  Only difference between China and US is the day of week is in Chinese, which can be turned off.   Arrived in about 10-12 days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I had my doubts about ordering direct from China, but it worked out.  Also on the China camera you have to warranty back to China and not the US.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a huge difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Wanted to post a link to this thread as food for thought. I was impressed with how well this families setup worked and I think it was instrumental in the apprehension of the home invaders.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:02:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
First thing that sprang to mind was that the guy has the critical thinking of a squirrel. They know what they were planning to do but when it goes wrong the brainpower just isn't there to do anything else other than the original action.

I'm guessing they must've had a motion alert tied into it for mom to be able to have the hi-point ready to roll so fast.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Yes it is... and in a cheaper camera too.

And the Acti E72 doesn't have digital I/O.  Or a vari-focal lens.  Or on-board storage via a Micro-SD card.  The cheaper Hikvision cam has all of those things.

I may take some more images, just to see if I can improve on that picture.  Those results just seem too disparate to me.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

That is a huge difference.

Yes it is... and in a cheaper camera too.

And the Acti E72 doesn't have digital I/O.  Or a vari-focal lens.  Or on-board storage via a Micro-SD card.  The cheaper Hikvision cam has all of those things.

I may take some more images, just to see if I can improve on that picture.  Those results just seem too disparate to me.  

Good review.   I've been pretty happy with the bullet hikivision's I've been using.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried the motion detection on the Hikvision camera?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfk70] [#21]
What do you think of the Hikvision software?

Does the camera only record to the on board card or can it record to a network hard drive?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Synology lists it as being supported for Surveillance Station which is what I use so I'll be picking up the model above or the 2132-I. I don't need VF so leaning towards the 2132 (same sensor) at the moment. Those are good looking images and the price is right.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you have this camera connected to to get those screens?  Right to a POE switch and you are logging into the camera IP directly or is the camera connected to a NVR of some kind?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#25]
Nice posts and good review!

Impressive vid quality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#26]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]

I haven't tried the on-board storage yet, but I did put in a micro-SD card and format it.  

It says it records to an NAS, but it didn't give me a lot of info about what KIND of NAS.  Windows/SAMBA share?  NFS?  

I haven't drilled down into that part of it yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dfk70:
What do you think of the Hikvision software?

Does the camera only record to the on board card or can it record to a network hard drive?

I haven't tried the on-board storage yet, but I did put in a micro-SD card and format it.  

It says it records to an NAS, but it didn't give me a lot of info about what KIND of NAS.  Windows/SAMBA share?  NFS?  

I haven't drilled down into that part of it yet.

So Hikvision has it's own software, and you wouldn't need Blue Iris or some other software?
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:20:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProgressCheck] [#29]

No... I 'm talking about the internal firmware on the camera.  I don't know if Hikvision has its own software.  

The camera allows you to record to a Micro-SD card inside the camera, or to network storage.  I haven't yet parsed out precisely WHAT kind of network storage they support.
View Quote

Roger that. You know, I have been interested in having my own home camera setup, but I always figured it was a bit out of my price and knowledge range. However, with these new Hikvision cameras and some newly acquired server knowledge, a home camera setup might not be too far in the future.

ETA: And it's you, TheGrayMan, that I hold liable for any camera purchases in that near future.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I am finally going to get my first megapixel IP cam. Currently running 4 analogs.

I have been looking at these things off and on and figured I would get a cheap one to start off. I definitely want poe. Other than that I'm not sure. I figure at a given price 2mp is better than 1mp but Im sure there are other variables. The ones I have been looking at are actually in the $85-100 range. I was just reading your reviews on the Hikvision though and wondering if I should go that route.
I've been looking at these until they are all starting to run together. At a glance can you tell me your thoughts on these?

I typically like domes better than bullets but not sure why other than they are typically a bit more subtle and harder to misdirect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151219491295 - cheap 1mp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111289219897 - cheap 2mp bullet that was my favorite.
Just started looking at these two hikvisions:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271409161535 - 3mp bullet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271409152607 - 3mp dome

I am probably overlooking something big on the sensors and or capability. Also wondering if 3mp will completely hammer my DVR server (ZM setup). The analogs are already giving it a good workout.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey TGM, any experience with Dahua?

I'm frankly impressed with how much the cost has come down on high quality IP cameras.

I think it's time to finish replacing those few analog cams I have.

I have two analog domes and two bullets, and for what looks to be around $800 I can replace them all with 3MP IP cams.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#34]

I can't vouch for the quality of the no-brand "mystery cams" you listed first... I'd do the Hikvision cams.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackbird_Pilot:
I am finally going to get my first megapixel IP cam. Currently running 4 analogs.

I have been looking at these things off and on and figured I would get a cheap one to start off. I definitely want poe. Other than that I'm not sure. I figure at a given price 2mp is better than 1mp but Im sure there are other variables. The ones I have been looking at are actually in the $85-100 range. I was just reading your reviews on the Hikvision though and wondering if I should go that route.
I've been looking at these until they are all starting to run together. At a glance can you tell me your thoughts on these?

I typically like domes better than bullets but not sure why other than they are typically a bit more subtle and harder to misdirect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151219491295 - cheap 1mp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111289219897 - cheap 2mp bullet that was my favorite.
Just started looking at these two hikvisions:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271409161535 - 3mp bullet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271409152607 - 3mp dome

I am probably overlooking something big on the sensors and or capability. Also wondering if 3mp will completely hammer my DVR server (ZM setup). The analogs are already giving it a good workout.

I can't vouch for the quality of the no-brand "mystery cams" you listed first... I'd do the Hikvision cams.

OK I was really tempted by the low price but went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Hikvision dome.  They have some on Amazon for $189.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#35]

OK I was really tempted by the low price but went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Hikvision dome.  They have some on Amazon for $189.

View Quote
For the money they are pretty good.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#36]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Hikvision is not linux friendly. At least its not with my Mint 15 install. Either the plugin you need to be able to log in to the cam and view it in a browser doesn't exist or I just haven't found it.
Also of course none of the sw works with linux which was to be expected.
I'm reinstalling my virtual win7 to give that a go. I needed a good excuse to reinstall it anyway.
I think there are going to be a lot more gizmos to play with on this camera to say the least. I am not sure how to even add it to ZM yet though I figure its probably about as simple as the analog
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I finally got tired of messing with zoneminder for a while and figured I would try something else. I installed Win7 on my nvr box only to find that my pv-149 dvr card drivers won't work with a 64bit os. I dl'd and burned a 32bit copy and got the drivers lined out and then tossed on a demo copy of Blue Iris. So far it seems pretty nice. I was able to add all the cameras in minutes. I haven't fiddled with most of the settings yet as I am multitasking with actual work but I like the interface and ease of use. Granted its not doing the computing that ZM was doing yet since I haven't added any motion detection yet but cpu utilization looks promising. I just hope it doesn't go down the toilet when I start tweaking it. A license for up to 64 cameras is $50. Thats a pittance compared to some of the other packages you have reviewed. Granted though are enterprise class software packages and likely have a lot of functionality this doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]

I finally got tired of messing with zoneminder for a while and figured I would try something else. I installed Win7 on my nvr box only to find that my pv-149 dvr card drivers won't work with a 64bit os. I dl'd and burned a 32bit copy and got the drivers lined out and then tossed on a demo copy of Blue Iris. So far it seems pretty nice. I was able to add all the cameras in minutes. I haven't fiddled with most of the settings yet as I am multitasking with actual work but I like the interface and ease of use. Granted its not doing the computing that ZM was doing yet since I haven't added any motion detection yet but cpu utilization looks promising. I just hope it doesn't go down the toilet when I start tweaking it. A license for up to 64 cameras is $50. Thats a pittance compared to some of the other packages you have reviewed. Granted though are enterprise class software packages and likely have a lot of functionality this doesn't.
View Quote
I've been running BI for over a year and am pretty happy with it.   There are a good amount of settings and alerts.  I write my video to a Synology NAS which is another piece of hardware that I am happy with.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#41]
Seeking to know if this is a bad idea!....

I want to use a splitter to run this, along with a bullet camera:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1KAG83TZNAUNP&coliid=IY05AQWNQB345

With this kind of cable:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Video-Power-Security-Cameras/dp/B000P8X65S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394685874&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+bnc+100ft

I know I am missing specifics here, such as the amperage each unit draws (I don't have that info yet), in my head, one cable should be able to power a camera and this IR illumination spot light....no/yes?...am I crazy?

Thanks, ahead of time!
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#44]

That illuminator probably pulls 800-1000mA, and your camera (depending on type/brand) may pull that much as well.  So let's figure a maximum of 2 Amps of current down that skinny little power wire (which is probably 20 or 22 gauge)  

That's a LOT of current for a 100-foot run, and you're going to lose a LOT of voltage to line loss.  Think of putting a high-pressure stream of water through a skinny little tube (like a straw)... you simply can't force that much down a thin tube.  

Reference this voltage-drop calculator

If you assume that power wire is 20 gauge, you're going to lose 4 volts just from cable losses.  In other words, with a 2 Amp current draw, put 12 volts in the head end, and you get 8 volts out of the other end.  This isn't enough to run most devices.

If you assume that power wire is 22 gauge, it gets even worse.  Now you lose HALF of your voltage from exactly the same cable run.

So skinny wire = bad.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
Seeking to know if this is a bad idea!....

I want to use a splitter to run this, along with a bullet camera:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71LNNeTtPdL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1KAG83TZNAUNP&coliid=IY05AQWNQB345

With this kind of cable:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41w6fRwq5DL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Video-Power-Security-Cameras/dp/B000P8X65S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394685874&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+bnc+100ft

I know I am missing specifics here, such as the amperage each unit draws (I don't have that info yet), in my head, one cable should be able to power a camera and this IR illumination spot light....no/yes?...am I crazy?

Thanks, ahead of time!

That illuminator probably pulls 800-1000mA, and your camera (depending on type/brand) may pull that much as well.  So let's figure a maximum of 2 Amps of current down that skinny little power wire (which is probably 20 or 22 gauge)  

That's a LOT of current for a 100-foot run, and you're going to lose a LOT of voltage to line loss.  Think of putting a high-pressure stream of water through a skinny little tube (like a straw)... you simply can't force that much down a thin tube.  

Reference this voltage-drop calculator

If you assume that power wire is 20 gauge, you're going to lose 4 volts just from cable losses.  In other words, with a 2 Amp current draw, put 12 volts in the head end, and you get 8 volts out of the other end.  This isn't enough to run most devices.

If you assume that power wire is 22 gauge, it gets even worse.  Now you lose HALF of your voltage from exactly the same cable run.

So skinny wire = bad.

thank you Grayman
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Guys,

Is anyone here using a central bus-based power distribution system for their cameras?  What I mean is, rather than finding power (assuming not POE) near each camera location, home-running power cables back to a central location, and then having a sufficiently robust power supply to power the cameras and compensate for wire length loss.  I'm looking at some POE cameras, but want to keep my options open for standard DC-powered cameras as well. Just don't want to have to locate power (or relocate, possibly against code and therefore voiding my homeowner's insurance policy) to get them to work.

Even if I go with POE cameras, I would like to install an IR illuminator with most or all of them, so power will be an issue there also.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tucansam:
Guys,

Is anyone here using a central bus-based power distribution system for their cameras?  What I mean is, rather than finding power (assuming not POE) near each camera location, home-running power cables back to a central location, and then having a sufficiently robust power supply to power the cameras and compensate for wire length loss.  I'm looking at some POE cameras, but want to keep my options open for standard DC-powered cameras as well. Just don't want to have to locate power (or relocate, possibly against code and therefore voiding my homeowner's insurance policy) to get them to work.

Even if I go with POE cameras, I would like to install an IR illuminator with most or all of them, so power will be an issue there also.

Thanks.
View Quote

I made a post on page 87, of this thread about this... perhaps it will help?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been running Blue Iris for just over a month now. I have 4 analog and 1 Hikvision ip cam. So far I love it. I like trying to use linux when I can but this is just SOO much more user friendly and has a very nice interface. Its dead simple to set up things like text alerts and emails as well as ftp uploads so that you have an off site copy of any shenanigans just in case. I have had a few updates to Blue Iris software since I had it and they are super simple. A pop up asks if you want to update and when you confirm the software restarts. Done. It was $50 for the license which is dirt cheap and definitely worth it IMO. The interface allows you to arrange your displays a lot better than ZM as well.  I don't have any hard data but it seems to be much less resource intensive than zoneminder as well for both memory and cpu.

Someone previously asked if Hikvision has its own software. It actually does but I never really bothered to play with it since I was running linux. Once I decided to try Blue Iris I just blew away my linux install and didn't fiddle with anything else once I got windows installed. It does seem that the Hikvision sw can manage multiple cameras though
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top