Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
FINALLY made it through all 40 pages tonight.  It's time to start back at the beginning.  I'm nowhere near ready to start shopping for hardware, but at least I'm beginning to learn what questions to ask.  

I've peruzed the internet for cctv info. and so far this thread is the where I've learned the most!
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JPL:
FINALLY made it through all 40 pages tonight.  It's time to start back at the beginning.  I'm nowhere near ready to start shopping for hardware, but at least I'm beginning to learn what questions to ask.  

I've peruzed the internet for cctv info. and so far this thread is the where I've learned the most!

Glad it's been helpful.

I'll try to crunch the pictures/screenshots I have of the Linux install, and post them up... but it will have to wait until I resuscitate my regular desktop PC.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
do you know of a DVR that happens to do both analog and IPcam?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AKsala:

NUUO
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 12:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPL] [#5]
I have many projects in mind, but let me run through my idea for the first one I want to do  and see if it will work.

My girlfriend and I have some sheep and donkeys back at a barn about 200 yds behind the house.  There are no hills in between, but a pretty dense wooded area does keep it from being line of sight.  I would like to be able to view what's going on inside the barn at night (no light in barn) on my laptop screen sitting on the couch.  I have a wall mounted box in a back room of the house where all of my cat 5 cables come in from various places throughout the house and I have five coming into the box from outside.

Let's start back at the barn.  I'm thinking I could mount a b&w camera and an infrared light for illumination.  I can then plug the camera into an encoder and then the encoder into a D-Link.  The reason I "think" I need the encoder is that I will be using an analog camera rather than an IP and if I understand correctly, you cannot plug an analog camera directly into the D-Link.

Now, for the house.  I can mount a D-Link in that back room I spoke of earlier and then plug the cat 5 cable that corresponds with the cat 5 plug I want to use in the house.  I simply use a cat 5 cable from my laptop to the plug in that I chose and I can see the goings on of the barn sitting on my couch.

There is no need at this time for recording.  I may decide to add recording at a later time once I understand all of this a little better.

Is this a viable idea, or do I need to forget DIY cctcv for my lack of reading comprehension?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 12:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#6]
Originally Posted By AKsala:

Exacqvision has a couple of those out... but they're NOT cheap... we're talking several thousand each.

If you're going to integrate analog cams into a digital/IP system, you're better off getting some Axis camera servers.  I have one of those in my almost-entirely-IP-based system... for one main reason:  all the very tiny hidden/covert cameras on the market are all analog.  My visible cameras are all IP-based... and I have a secondary group of covert analog cameras that are integrated into the IP system via camera server.

ETA:  And Salty is right... Nuuo systems also can integrate analog cameras (via their own encoder cards), and you can add IP cameras to the system by purchasing IP licenses for the system... they'll all coexist side-by-side (I've only done one of those systems)
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 12:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#7]
I have many projects in mind, but let me run through my idea for the first one I want to do  and see if it will work.

My girlfriend and I have some sheep and donkeys back at a barn about 200 yds behind the house.  There are no hills in between, but a pretty dense wooded area does keep it from being line of sight.  I would like to be able to view what's going on inside the barn at night (no light in barn) on my laptop screen sitting on the couch.  I have a wall mounted box in a back room of the house where all of my cat 5 cables come in from various places throughout the house and I have five coming into the box from outside.

Let's start back at the barn.  I'm thinking I could mount a b&w camera and an infrared light for illumination.  I can then plug the camera into an encoder and then the encoder into a D-Link.  The reason I "think" I need the encoder is that I will be using an analog camera rather than an IP and if I understand correctly, you cannot plug an analog camera directly into the D-Link.

Now, for the house.  I can mount a D-Link in that back room I spoke of earlier and then plug the cat 5 cable that corresponds with the cat 5 plug I want to use in the house.  I simply use a cat 5 cable from my laptop to the plug in that I chose and I can see the goings on of the barn sitting on my couch.

There is no need at this time for recording.  I may decide to add recording at a later time once I understand all of this a little better.

Is this a viable idea, or do I need to forget DIY cctcv for my lack of reading comprehension?

Actually, you've got it roughly correct.

You need an IP-based camera in the barn (no sense in making it as complicated as an analog+encoder arrangement... just get a straight-up network camera with IR LEDs).  If you don't have wireless internet at the house, you'll need a pair of wireless bridges, one at each location (one in barn, one at the house).  If you already have a wireless access point at the house, you can simply put a wireless bridge in the barn and connect to your AP at the house... provided you can get signal.  

I like the ubiquiti bridges (reviewed in this thread).  They're purpose-built, very weather-resistant, cheap, and come with a directional antenna built-in.  They'll also tolerate environmental extremes far better than a residential-type D-link unit.  Mount one up high on the outside wall of the barn, and one on the second floor of the house, on the inside of a window (they make a suction-cup mount that will allow you to attach it to the inside of a window... or outside on a wall... they're weather-hardened, so that shouldn't be a problem).  Point them roughly in each other's direction, and you've got a wireless bridge.

Those bridges should handle a single camera stream without even blinking.

ETA:  how dense is the vegetation?  That might knock down your signal a bit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 12:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPL] [#8]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
You need an IP-based camera in the barn (no sense in making it as complicated as an analog+encoder arrangement... just get a straight-up network camera with IR LEDs).  If you don't have wireless internet at the house, you'll need a pair of wireless bridges, one at each location (one in barn, one at the house).  If you already have a wireless access point at the house, you can simply put a wireless bridge in the barn and connect to your AP at the house... provided you can get signal.  

I like the ubiquiti bridges (reviewed in this thread).  They're purpose-built, very weather-resistant, cheap, and come with a directional antenna built-in.  They'll also tolerate environmental extremes far better than a residential-type D-link unit.  Mount one up high on the outside wall of the barn, and one on the second floor of the house, on the inside of a window (they make a suction-cup mount that will allow you to attach it to the inside of a window... or outside on a wall... they're weather-hardened, so that shouldn't be a problem).  Point them roughly in each other's direction, and you've got a wireless bridge.

ETA: how dense is the vegetation?  That might knock down your signal a bit.

In the winter, it's not too bad, but summer time it's thick.  Cutting some of it down isn't an option.

ETA:  I thought I read where Expy was using a bridge to run like 14 miles or something crazy like that.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]

ETA: how dense is the vegetation?  That might knock down your signal a bit.

In the winter, it's not too bad, but summer time it's thick.  Cutting some of it down isn't an option.

ETA:  I thought I read where Expy was using a bridge to run like 14 miles or something crazy like that.

I bet that's with very clear line-of-sight... pretty sure Expy's setup is in the mountains.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Would you recommend a camera?  It doesn't have to be too fancy as long as it can be used at night.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Would you recommend a camera?
 It doesn't have to be too fancy as long as it can be used at night.

What are you looking to spend?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]

That's why I was thinking of using analog and an encoder.  You probably suggested going IP because you will have spent as much as an IP camera cost by the time you purchase the encoder, correct?  Keep in mind, I'm patient and will watch ebay for the best deals.  

$200 - $400 is what I'd like to have in a camera, but I've been looking around since my last post and don't think it's possible for an IP camera.  I'll spend whatever it takes to get the least that will do what I want.  B&W is fine for me, but all IP cameras may be color.  I haven't come across anything in any of the posts saying if all IP's are color.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]

That's why I was thinking of using analog and an encoder.  You probably suggested going IP because you will have spent as much as an IP camera cost by the time you purchase the encoder, correct?  Keep in mind, I'm patient and will watch ebay for the best deals.  

$200 - $400 is what I'd like to have in a camera, but I've been looking around since my last post and don't think it's possible for an IP camera. I'll spend whatever it takes to get the least that will do what I want.  B&W is fine for me, but all IP cameras may be color.  I haven't come across anything in any of the posts saying if all IP's are color.

You can actually get some of the more value-range IP cameras for that.  Check out 4XEM and Vivotek... make sure you check on Ebay.  Sometimes you can get the outgoing/older model (which, having been around longer, are often better-supported by Luxriot and other software suites).  Make sure it has the resolution you want... I'm assuming you just want area coverage inside the barn?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]

$200 - $400 is what I'd like to have in a camera, but I've been looking around since my last post and don't think it's possible for an IP camera. I'll spend whatever it takes to get the least that will do what I want.  B&W is fine for me, but all IP cameras may be color.  I haven't come across anything in any of the posts saying if all IP's are color.

You can actually get some of the more value-range IP cameras for that.  Check out 4XEM and Vivotek... make sure you check on Ebay.  Sometimes you can get the outgoing/older model (which, having been around longer, are often better-supported by Luxriot and other software suites).  Make sure it has the resolution you want... I'm assuming you just want area coverage inside the barn?

Yes, inside the barn is sufficient for this particular project.  Will software come with these cameras or do I need to purchase something like Luxriot?

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Yes, inside the barn is sufficient for this particular project.  Will software come with these cameras or do I need to purchase something like Luxriot?

Depends on what you want to do with it.  The camera will be functional out-of-the-box, and some of the Vivotek cameras actually come with an SD-card slot, so that you can record internally, if desired.  If all you want to do is be able to periodically check on what's happening in the barn, and you don't care to record anything, you don't need any sort of DVR software.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Depends on what you want to do with it.  The camera will be functional out-of-the-box, and some of the Vivotek cameras actually come with an SD-card slot, so that you can record internally, if desired.  If all you want to do is be able to periodically check on what's happening in the barn, and you don't care to record anything, you don't need any sort of DVR software.

Gotcha!  What about this camera?  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4XEM-IP7330-Surveillance-Network-Camera-/400157088442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2b389aba
(Tried to hotlink, but couldn't make it work)

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#17]

Gotcha!  What about this camera?  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4XEM-IP7330-Surveillance-Network-Camera-/400157088442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2b389aba
(Tried to hotlink, but couldn't make it work)

You're thinking along the right lines... though that's a pretty weather-hardened camera for indoors.  You could get away with something less robust.

Also, that one is not supported by Luxriot.  Their supported list for 4XEM is here.  It might be worth it to restrict yourself to that list, just in case you want to add that view to your DVR later (or Milestone, or Exacqvision, or whatever software suite you choose)

ETA:  (BTW, 4XEM simply sells/rebrands Vivotek cameras... they're the same hardware)
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]

You're thinking along the right lines... though that's a pretty weather-hardened camera for indoors.  You could get away with something less robust.

Also, that one is not supported by Luxriot.  Their supported list for 4XEM is here.  It might be worth it to restrict yourself to that list, just in case you want to add that view to your DVR later (or Milestone, or Exacqvision, or whatever software suite you choose)

ETA:  (BTW, 4XEM simply sells/rebrands Vivotek cameras... they're the same hardware)

I discovered that pretty quick.  Ill go check out the link for what camera's are compatible.  I'm gonna put a list together before I pull the trigger and make sure it's all compatible.  Thanks for all the help.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]

I discovered that pretty quick.  Ill go check out the link for what camera's are compatible.  I'm gonna put a list together before I pull the trigger and make sure it's all compatible.  Thanks for all the help.

NP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPL] [#20]
Well, I went to make a list and realized all I'm really purchasing is a camera and 2 bridges!

Here's my list:
•4XEM  4XFD7131 Camera (compatible with Luxriot software or at least it's on the list for the link you posted)
•Ubiquiti Powerbridge M5 Outdoor Mimi 5GhZ  (X2, 1 for barn, 1 for house)

Will the camera get power from the Bridge or do I need to also purchase a POE 24 volt power injector like this one here

ETA:  How worried do I need to be about the signal getting through the wooded area?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I went to make a list and realized all I'm really purchasing is a camera and 2 bridges!

Here's my list:
•4XEM  4XFD7131 Camera (compatible with Luxriot software or at least it's on the list for the link you posted)

Will the camera get power from the Bridge or do I need to also purchase a POE 24 volt power injector like this one here

ETA:  How worried do I need to be about the signal getting through the wooded area?

The camera should come with its own power wall-wart.  It runs on 12v, or on PoE, should you have it.

The powerbridge is overkill for what you need... I'd get a Nanostation or a Nanostation Loco... much cheaper, and it should be plenty of bandwidth.  The trees may be a significant problem... any chance you can mount the bridges high on the buildings and get above the foliage a little bit?  If you can get the antennas up some, that will help you... but dense enough vegetation could theoretically block the signal, despite the directional antennas you're using.

Still... it's only 200 yards...  at $49 each, it might be worth it to try the Nanos.  If it totally fails, you're not out much.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Here's my list:

The camera should come with its own power wall-wart.  It runs on 12v, or on PoE, should you have it.

I'm gonna take a look at the area between house and barn tomorrow.  It's hard to explain, but mounting higher would not help much I don't think.  We're talking one story buildings on flat land.  Trees are taller than either structure.  I'll know more tomorrow.  I'll probably order it all tomorrow too!!!
The powerbridge is overkill for what you need... I'd get a Nanostation or a Nanostation Loco... much cheaper, and it should be plenty of bandwidth.  The trees may be a significant problem... any chance you can mount the bridges high on the buildings and get above the foliage a little bit?  If you can get the antennas up some, that will help you... but dense enough vegetation could theoretically block the signal, despite the directional antennas you're using.

Still... it's only 200 yards...  at $49 each, it might be worth it to try the Nanos.  If it totally fails, you're not out much.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Here's my list:

I'm gonna take a look at the area between house and barn tomorrow.  It's hard to explain, but mounting higher would not help much I don't think.  We're talking one story buildings on flat land.  Trees are taller than either structure.  I'll know more tomorrow.  I'll probably order it all tomorrow too!!!

Good luck... and let me know if the Nanos are a total bust.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Here's my list:

ALWAYS PREVIEW BEFORE YOU HIT SUBMIT !!!  HAHA
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

Is it possible for me to just put a Bridge on the barn and pick its signal up with the wireless card in my laptop rather than mounting a bridge on the house and plugging a wire into the back of my laptop?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#26]
I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

Is it possible for me to just put a Bridge on the barn and pick its signal up with the wireless card in my laptop rather than mounting a bridge on the house and plugging a wire into the back of my laptop?

Yes.

ETA:  but you might find that the signal isn't quite strong enough.  A directional antenna buys you quite a bit... and the power you're putting out with those Nanos is going to beat your laptop eight ways to Sunday.  That said, it wouldn't hurt to try it with one before spending the money on two.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

Yes.

Good deal!  That'll save me $50.  I'll order the camera I listed and one of the Nano's tomorrow.  Will I just be able to click on the nano bridge in "wireless network connections" and see through the camera?

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

Yes.

Good deal!  That'll save me $50.  I'll order the camera I listed and one of the Nano's tomorrow.  Will I just be able to click on the nano bridge in "wireless network connections" and see through the camera?

That should work... but see my edit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPL] [#29]
I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

Yes.

That should work... but see my edit.

I saw it.  I'll try it with one and see if it will work.  Thanks again for the help.  Everything is a LOT clearer now.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:37:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#30]

Here's my list:

ALWAYS PREVIEW BEFORE YOU HIT SUBMIT !!!  HAHA

FYI, 2.4 gHz bridges will 'punch through' the trees far better than 5.8. It's still is a challenge. I used to go thru trees by pruning a 'hole' thru them. Watch out if the vegetation gets wet.

I think, but am not sure, never tried it, that the bridge to your laptop may not work in infrastructure mode since there is nothing to assign IP addys. The Nano may have that capability, may be able to be set up as a router.

You may be able to get around the above using static addresses.

You may have another option to set up the access point and laptop in client mode.

I do a lot of long range [>10 miles] bridging with network cams but have never tried exactly what you propose.

See if you can set the Nano as a router, I know the Tranzeos I use have that capability.

ETA You MIGHT get better penetration thru the woods down low at tree trunk level if brush is less dense or can be mowed. When I first started learning abt this, I did it thru the wood's and was going about a mile to a buddy's house [only a 150 yds or so in the woods, rest clear LOS] and using high perf parabolic antennas with amps and wimpy Linksys WAP11's driving them.

I found clearing brush was important. Hunt around until you can find a hole and set your links up as appropriate.  I'll be very interested in what you find out as I have a potential application similar to yours.

Thinking about this some more, I would be amazed if you can link from the barn through the trees directly to your laptop in the house.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're looking for more than a single camera view, you might consider This PTZ camera from Acti.  You can control that over your network, and look around your barn a bit if you think something might be outside your field-of-view.

It says it's day/night, and it's megapixel... and at that price, I couldn't pass it up.  

I'll post a review when I've had a chance to play with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're looking for more than a single camera view, you might consider This PTZ camera from Acti.  You can control that over your network, and look around your barn a bit if you think something might be outside your field-of-view.

It says it's day/night, and it's megapixel... and at that price, I couldn't pass it up.  

WOW, that is a good price for a PTZ isn't it?  I'll have to seriously consider it.  I'd be much more inclined to spend that much on a camera if I knew I was actually gonna be capable of hooking all this up and making it work.  I'm not the most computer savvy guy around.

I made a discovery tonight that could change things a little.  I said previously I had cat 5 connections throughout the house.  In reality, I'm using cat 5 CABLE and the telephone style plugs.  Will this still work if I wanted to use the plug into the back of my computer method rather than letting my wireless card pick up the signal?  I suppose if one bridge at the barn won't work and I have to also put a bridge at the house, I could just use my wireless card to pick up the signal from the bridge at the house?

Expy, I just looked on Ubiquiti's website and I couldn't find out if the Nano could be run as a router.  Any thoughts on where I might find this info. ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:13:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#33]

WOW, that is a good price for a PTZ isn't it?  I'll have to seriously consider it.  I'd be much more inclined to spend that much on a camera if I knew I was actually gonna be capable of hooking all this up and making it work.  I'm not the most computer savvy guy around.

I made a discovery tonight that could change things a little.  I said previously I had cat 5 connections throughout the house.  In reality, I'm using cat 5 CABLE and the telephone style plugs.  Will this still work if I wanted to use the plug into the back of my computer method rather than letting my wireless card pick up the signal?  I suppose if one bridge at the barn won't work and I have to also put a bridge at the house, I could just use my wireless card to pick up the signal from the bridge at the house?

Expy, I just looked on Ubiquiti's website and I couldn't find out if the Nano could be run as a router.  Any thoughts on where I might find this info. ?

Here... and when I skimmed through it, I didn't see a router mode.  It works as a bridge, station, or access point... but not a router.

ETA:  I should have read further... it mentions a router mode further into the document... my bad.  And you should note that the camera I linked is a pan/tilt camera... there is no optical zoom.  There is digital zoom, but in a 1.3 megapixel camera, that will only work for 1-2x... after that it gets grainy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Here... and when I skimmed through it, I didn't see a router mode.  It works as a bridge, station, or access point... but not a router.

ETA:  I should have read further... it mentions a router mode further into the document... my bad.  And you should note that the camera I linked is a pan/tilt camera... there is no optical zoom.  There is digital zoom, but in a 1.3 megapixel camera, that will only work for 1-2x... after that it gets grainy.

Thanks Grayman.  I think I've talked myself into that camera you found.  I'm gonna sleep on it.  Not to hound, but what about the telephone connections.  Is that a deal breaker if I wanted to go that route?

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#35]

"Will this still work if I wanted to use the plug into the back of my computer method rather than letting my wireless card pick up the signal?  I suppose if one bridge at the barn won't work and I have to also put a bridge at the house, I could just use my wireless card to pick up the signal from the bridge at the house?"

Generally yes. You may find however that the barn bridge is so challenged that is it best to have a point to point bridge dedicated to the house/barn link and then handle the laptop/computers as a separate issue.

I'm not familiar w/ Ubiquiti products. I may order a few when time allows and experiment with them. This, in any case, won't be an issue with a dedicated bridge connected into your network at your house and gives you so many optoins as well.

One other thing, there are some bridges that work via the power line wiring. I'm not familiar with them but you may want to look into this and make a few phone calls to resellers. Do you have any wiring between the barn and house?

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Thanks Grayman.  I think I've talked myself into that camera you found.  I'm gonna sleep on it.  Not to hound, but what about the telephone connections.  Is that a deal breaker if I wanted to go that route?

Oh, you will love being able to steer the camera. Zooming is marvelous.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#37]

When you say "telephone connections," are you talking about RJ-45 or RJ-11?  One is the plug on the back of your computer (for the network connection... it's wider than a standard phone plug, and contains eight conductors), and one is a regular 4-conductor phone cable, which is significantly thinner/smaller.

If you have any sort of network in the house, I'm sure you're using RJ-45

Details here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

"Will this still work if I wanted to use the plug into the back of my computer method rather than letting my wireless card pick up the signal?  I suppose if one bridge at the barn won't work and I have to also put a bridge at the house, I could just use my wireless card to pick up the signal from the bridge at the house?"

Generally yes. You may find however that the barn bridge is so challenged that is it best to have a point to point bridge dedicated to the house/barn link and then handle the laptop/computers as a separate issue.

I'm not familiar w/ Ubiquiti products. I may order a few when time allows and experiment with them. This, in any case, won't be an issue with a dedicated bridge connected into your network at your house and gives you so many optoins as well.

One other thing, there are some bridges that work via the power line wiring. I'm not familiar with them but you may want to look into this and make a few phone calls to resellers. Do you have any wiring between the barn and house?

No.

I just walked out back and looked.  Punching a hole through the vegetation might be an option.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPL] [#39]

When you say "telephone connections," are you talking about RJ-45 or RJ-11?  One is the plug on the back of your computer (for the network connection... it's wider than a standard phone plug, and contains eight conductors), and one is a regular 4-conductor phone cable, which is significantly thinner/smaller.

Details here.

They are the 4 plug version.  It's a combination plug I got from Lowes that has both a telephone and a coaxial plug in.  I put them everywhere I thought I might someday want to put a TV.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Details here.

They are the 4 plug version.  It's a combination plug I got from Lowes that has both a telephone and a coaxial plug in.  I put them everywhere I thought I might someday want to put a TV.

Might be worth your while to run some Cat5/6... you'll need it to connect to the wireless bridge anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Details here.

Might be worth your while to run some Cat5/6... you'll need it to connect to the wireless bridge anyway.

It would be easy to do since the Cat 5 cable is run to the plug.  All I would have to do is get a different style plug to put on the wall and make it a RJ45 connector instead of the RJ11.  

I've got to be gone the rest of the afternoon, but hope to order some stuff when I get back.  I'll let you know if I do!

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Alrighty, I have the Axis PTZ camera GrayMan suggested and 2 Ubiquiti Nanostaions on the way to my house!  I decided to go ahead and order two bridges.  I plan to try it with one and if using one works, I'll put the other up and use it on a future project.

As stated before, I'm not the most computer savvy guy and every review I read about the Nanostation said they were complicated to set up unless you were experienced witht his stuff.  I'm not!  

I'll try to take pics and document in this thread everything I've done once I get it finished.  I hope this turns out to be a fun project and I don't get frustrated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#43]

It would be easy to do since the Cat 5 cable is run to the plug.  All I would have to do is get a different style plug to put on the wall and make it a RJ45 connector instead of the RJ11.  

I've got to be gone the rest of the afternoon, but hope to order some stuff when I get back.  I'll let you know if I do!

So all your phone wiring was done with Cat5 (eight-conductor twisted-pair)?  That's excellent... most new homes are done that way, but most older homes aren't.  It can be converted to a network jack by connecting the other two twisted-pairs and the appropriate jacks upstream and at the wall-plate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 2:09:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Did you notice it was an indoor camera?  I know it will be fine in a barn but still has limited use.  It is a great buy though

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AR-50:

Did you notice it was an indoor camera?  I know it will be fine in a barn but still has limited use.  It is a great buy though

Affirmative.

Mine's going in my garage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone here have any experience with the Synology DiskStation line of products?  They include NVR functionality in what appears to be a very nice NAS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
Does anyone here have any experience with the Synology DiskStation line of products?  They include NVR functionality in what appears to be a very nice NAS.

Never seen that before... but the interface looks vaguely Milestone-ish.  Wonder if they partnered with them to make that piece of software?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 8:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gasdoc09] [#48]
So all your phone wiring was done with Cat5 (eight-conductor twisted-pair)?  That's excellent... most new homes are done that way, but most older homes aren't.  It can be converted to a network jack by connecting the other two twisted-pairs and the appropriate jacks upstream and at the wall-plate.

I'm sure you know this, but for others' benefit - if all you need is 100 mbit fast ethernet speed you don't even need to swap out the RJ11 jack.

4 twisted pairs is needed for gigabit ethernet, but 100 mbit fast ethernet only uses two pairs, and it is possible to use ordinary phone jacks and RJ11 plugs/jacks.  It's easy enough to make a network cable with a RJ45 plug on one end for your computer or camera, and RJ11 on the other end.

(Long runs of non-twisted regular phone cable in the walls may or may not be a problem, but if you know it's CAT5 in the walls RJ11 jacks are fine for 100 mbit ethernet.  I used to live in an apartment building with regular flat / non-twisted cable in the walls, and they set up a 100 mbit network over it, it worked fine.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gasdoc09:

I'm sure you know this, but for others' benefit - if all you need is 100 mbit fast ethernet speed you don't even need to swap out the RJ11 jack.

4 twisted pairs is needed for gigabit ethernet, but 100 mbit fast ethernet only uses two pairs, and it is possible to use ordinary phone jacks and RJ11 plugs/jacks.  It's easy enough to make a network cable with a RJ45 plug on one end for your computer or camera, and RJ11 on the other end.

(Long runs of non-twisted regular phone cable in the walls may or may not be a problem, but if you know it's CAT5 in the walls RJ11 jacks are fine for 100 mbit ethernet.  I used to live in an apartment building with regular flat / non-twisted cable in the walls, and they set up a 100 mbit network over it, it worked fine.)

If it's not twisted-pair within the walls, I wonder how interference-resistant it would be... and how much speed you'd really get out of it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#50]
If it's not twisted-pair within the walls, I wonder how interference-resistant it would be... and how much speed you'd really get out of it.

Agreed, it may or may not work well.  Might be worth trying - it worked fine in 1995 in my apartment building ... the only problem there was the building manager promised 'high speed internet' to everyone in the building, but then put all 30 of us on one ISDN connection.  Sucked for about 4 months until he upgraded it to a T1.  Within the building though it was great.  I played a lot of Quake and killed a lot of neighbors' pixels in those days.  
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top