Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By marksmatter:
Hehe - good for you GrayMan! Too bad that petty stuff still abounds, though.

Just got my first IP cam (ACM-1231) up and running.  Tools are on the way to make some ethernet cables so that I can mount it outside.

While I thank you for the education, my wallet does not share the same enthusiasm!  

At least this time I got pictures of them... unlike the last time where I didn't quite have good enough images.

And the last time it was eggs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a really stupid question, but one that I need an accurate answer to...

How far do you strip back your cables for the BNC screw-on connectors ?

This is what I have to work with:

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dragracer_Art:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/yullose/SDC107322.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/yullose/SDC107332.jpg

You know what? I've never measured... let me step out in my garage and see if I can tell you.

Stand by.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 3:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragracer_Art] [#4]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/yullose/SDC107322.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/yullose/SDC107332.jpg

You know what? I've never measured... let me step out in my garage and see if I can tell you.

Stand by.

AWESOME.

I'm pulling wire now... so your timing is excellent.

Edit to add...

It amazes me how business was slow all fucking day... then I climb to the top of my 8ft stepladder, and the phone rings. After I hang up, I get back up the ladder and customers start rolling in.

WTF ?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 3:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#5]
OK... here are two examples, taken from a short video jumper-wire I use for testing analog cams.  I unscrewed each end, and measured them... you can sort of eyeball it on the ruler:

End #1:

End #2:

So it looks like around 3/4" of outer jacket, then the copper shielding folded back, and about half of the exposed inner jacket stripped.

Or at least that's what it took for that particular connector.  You may have to play with yours just a little bit if the dimensions are different.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That's EXCELLENT...

Thanks a million !
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
That's EXCELLENT...

Thanks a million !

My pleasure.  

BTW, one of my systems just caught some more kids.  The manager contacted me, and I pulled the video down off the DVR and crunched it for him.  More middle-of-the-night vandalism.  The stupid part of the whole thing is that the perps spent a couple of minutes smoking-and-joking in a well-lit area, almost directly underneath one of the cameras.

You know how everyone on ARFCOM can tell when school's out, based on nothing more than the sudden explosion of extra-moronic posts in GD?  Well... it's the same around here; that's two vandalism incidents caught on-tape in a week... and it's not even July.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragracer_Art] [#8]
Yep... this is exactly why I'm adding another outside camera here at the shop...

I already have the 3rd range camera hooked up and working.

The extra outside camera is mounted already... just need to finish pulling cable and terminating the ends.

Your connector picture was a huge help. They work perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 1:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#9]
Here is what only-area-coverage cameras will get you... and these aren't really high-quality cameras.  Notice how they don't handle back-lighting very well.

I can only hope that these were low-res versions that were released to the media, and that the police have a higher-res version they're working from...

Link to attempted robbery

Here's the bad guy walking into the drive-thru, in broad daylight, and pointing a gun at the beer delivery guy (c'mon... who threatens the beer guy?)

Here's a top-down view, that only shows the top of the guy's head:

Here's a couple of frames where the guy is throwing himself at the door, trying to get it open (woman is laying down against the door from the inside, trying to keep it shut:

Here's his "oh sh*t" moment where she puts a round in him:

Notice that unless the guy shows up for medical care, there's no way they'll ID him from those images.  Resolution isn't high enough, camera angles aren't quite what you need to see a face, light-handling isn't good enough... no way to ID the bad guy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I put my cameras to work this week.  Long story short.  A van load of black kids came to town with baseball bats and unloaded at by brother in laws place wanting to fight.   They got ran off when confronted.  My brother in-law followed them to get a plate number.  They crashed into a house and scattered like roaches.  30 minutes later their older brothers showed up to fight.  They ended up running over 2 of my in-laws when they saw them.  So the police showed up and they all cried it was racism. The police totally bought their story.  Next day I collected video from 5 DVRs I have around town.   I showed it to the detective.  This changed the mind of all the police involved.   The "victims" are all facing criminal charges now.   This makes 15 that I have got locked up now with my cameras.  I am putting up more tomorrow.  I am getting close to 200 cameras now in a town of 100 homes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#11]
Originally Posted By AR-50:
I put my cameras to work this week.  Long story short.  A van load of black kids came to town with baseball bats and unloaded at by brother in laws place wanting to fight.   They got ran off when confronted.  My brother in-law followed them to get a plate number.  They crashed into a house and scattered like roaches.  30 minutes later their older brothers showed up to fight.  They ended up running over 2 of my in-laws when they saw them.  So the police showed up and they all cried it was racism. The police totally bought their story.  Next day I collected video from 5 DVRs I have around town.   I showed it to the detective.  This changed the mind of all the police involved.   The "victims" are all facing criminal charges now.   This makes 15 that I have got locked up now with my cameras.  I am putting up more tomorrow. I am getting close to 200 cameras now in a town of 100 homes.

Wow... you've got me beat.  I'm small-time... maybe a couple of dozen cameras over a handful of locations.

Good job on locking up the street rats.  

ETA: I have another project in the works too.  Hopefully will have some pictures up when the gear comes in.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Comments on this system guys?

http://www.buy.com/prod/vue-remote-video-monitoring-system-includes-2-wireless-cameras/q/loc/101/216010641.html

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mrstang01:
Comments on this system guys?

http://www.buy.com/prod/vue-remote-video-monitoring-system-includes-2-wireless-cameras/q/loc/101/216010641.html

How interesting... but it's not designed for 24/7 surveillance.  You'd go through batteries like nobody's business if you used it on a constant basis.  Check out the reviews on Amazon

Neat idea... and probably perfect for the person who just wants to check on the house every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking for use as a door annunciator.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#15]
Originally Posted By mrstang01:
I was thinking for use as a door annunciator.

Would probably work for that.  Simply connect to it once you hear the doorbell ring... or your driveway alarm go off.

ETA: they're not weatherproof... so mount them carefully
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
grayman,
I already have a defender 8 system, however after reading this many times, i think i've caught the disease. What do you think of slowly building a mobotix camera, iomega ix4 nas for a second true system? Be kind I'm just learning about technology.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#17]
Originally Posted By firstelc:
grayman,
I already have a defender 8 system, however after reading this many times, i think i've caught the disease. What do you think of slowly building a mobotix camera, iomega ix4 nas for a second true system? Be kind I'm just learning about technology.

The Mobotix stuff is great... I have no complaints with any of it.

Ebay is key... unless you know somebody who deals in used equipment, you're best just watching the auction sites for used Mobotix equipment.  The >$1k retail price tag is absolutely insane, and out of the reach of most people.

You don't have to go Mobotix though... the Acti stuff is very good, and some of the newer lower-priced Axis stuff is also pretty good.  Axis used to be a lot more expensive, but they've come out with some cheaper lines recently.

ETA: you'd be surprised what some people choose to use.  I was recently outside the corporate offices of a large corporation (I mean LARGE... multi-billion-dollar company)... and do you know what they were using?  These:  

That's right... cheap, plastic, $300 consumer-grade Dlink cameras... and they didn't even use PoE, necessitating additional wiring to put electrical outlets above the drop-ceiling for the wall-warts these things require.  The resolution on those is a miserable 380TVL... which is very low.  They didn't even use a mount that would conceal the wiring... they literally had power wiring and ethernet cabling coming out of a hole in the drop ceiling, rather than attempting to conceal it within a mount or dome.

True story.

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#18]
would you recommend voipmodo? I would really like a supported dealership with these pricey tools.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By firstelc:
would you recommend voipmodo? I would really like a supported dealership with these pricey tools.

Those guys are out of NY state.  I've heard of them, and they're helpful folks.  They do know Mobotix cameras, and are Mobotix dealers/partners.

I've never bought anything from them, but from what I've seen, they should be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldrock] [#20]
just finished reading all 27 pages of this very informative thread. First I want to say a big thanks to all who contributed to this. Now, on to why I am here. As someone already mentioned, you can tell it is summer. I just got a suprise visit from some local youngsters who must have been bored. They decided to key both sides of my son's car that was parked in the driveway. If that wasn't bad enough, they decided to key one side of my shiny new pickup while they were at it

I try to be a peace loving guy but stuff like that really pushes my buttons. So I met with the nice policeman who came out to take my info and tell me without any video footage, there is nothing the police can do. So he suggested I get a security camera system which I did a quick search online for a package in my price range ($500)... I know, I know it is a crappy low budget for this but it is what I have to work with so gonna try to do the best I can with it.

What I ended up doing is getting a 4 input DVR system that came with 2 cheapie cameras HERE

The setup cost me about $275 shipped with tax which gives me $225 to add a couple extra cameras. So I thought i would at least get some opinions from you guys who have more experience on what you buy camera wise with my budget in mind? What I was thinking about doing is buying one better quality camera that is a day/night model to use over the garage. Then use the two cheapie cameras that came with the system to view front yard over front door and a side yard view that would also see the street (I am on a corner that does have a street light).

I saw an 1/3" outdoor low light camera that has a 0.3lux rating selling in the $120 range. I thought with the street light, that might work but know ZERO about cameras so any advice would be most helpful. I was thinking if I could get that camera for $120, then I have about a hundred left to add a 4th camera to finish my humble system.  Any suggestions on cameras would be most appreciated. I also found this low light with 0.1lux for $157
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By oldrock:
just finished reading all 27 pages of this very informative thread. First I want to say a big thanks to all who contributed to this. Now, on to why I am here. As someone already mentioned, you can tell it is summer. I just got a suprise visit from some local youngsters who must have been bored. They decided to key both sides of my son's car that was parked in the driveway. If that wasn't bad enough, they decided to key one side of my shiny new pickup while they were at it

I try to be a peace loving guy but stuff like that really pushes my buttons. So I met with the nice policeman who came out to take my info and tell me without any video footage, there is nothing the police can do. So he suggested I get a security camera system which I did a quick search online for a package in my price range ($500)... I know, I know it is a crappy low budget for this but it is what I have to work with so gonna try to do the best I can with it.

What I ended up doing is getting a 4 input DVR system that came with 2 cheapie cameras HERE

The setup cost me about $275 shipped with tax which gives me $225 to add a couple extra cameras. So I thought i would at least get some opinions from you guys who have more experience on what you buy camera wise with my budget in mind? What I was thinking about doing is buying one better quality camera that is a day/night model to use over the garage. Then use the two cheapie cameras that came with the system to view front yard over front door and a side yard view that would also see the street (I am on a corner that does have a street light).

I saw an 1/3" outdoor low light camera that has a 0.3lux rating selling in the $120 range. I thought with the street light, that might work but know ZERO about cameras so any advice would be most helpful. I was thinking if I could get that camera for $120, then I have about a hundred left to add a 4th camera to finish my humble system.  Any suggestions on cameras would be most appreciated. I also found this low light with 0.1lux for $157

A couple of pointers on what you have.

Make sure your DVR is set to record at D1 resolution.  It displays D1 at 120FPS (that's 30FPS per camera), but it only records D1 at 30FPS (spread across all your cameras).  In other words, the picture/framerate you're viewing live isn't the picture you're recording.  You're better off with a few higher-quality frames than a smooth video of low-resolution pictures.  The latter is smoother, but you can't ID anyone or anything.

For budget analog cameras, you could check out some of the CNB cameras (The panos are probably out of your price range).  If you can't find a local dealer for CNB tech, they're all over Ebay.  Try to get one with the MonaLisa chip, and an ICR (eg. a true day/night camera).  The manufacturer website is here.  They have a bunch of models.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
thanks for the pointers. So if i am understanding correctly, higher rez at lower frame rate is the way to go which does make sense. Doesn't really matter that much if the vid is smooth but you want the best resolution possible so you can id faces, car plates, etc. The DVR I went with was the newest model that company offered in a 4 channel. I could have got their older model with 4 cameras for same price but it didn't offer nearly as many choices on recording settings so I figured go with the new model w/2 cameras and add 2 better cameras to it. I also liked the fact this unit lets you check the images thru a cellphone or internet which might come in handy since i do have to travel some.

I'll also start doing searching for the cameras you suggested. I looked at those video samples and that mon lisa chip one sure has great low light capability! I have $225 to spend on two cameras so was hoping to get two halfway decent ones for that price but if necessary, I can get one good one and one cheapie. I literally know nothing about the video cameras so all those specs are greek to me. Lots of the cameras mentioned on this thread are way out of my budget. If anyone has seen a site that reviews the lower cost cameras  in the $50-$150 range, that would sure be handy for low budget applications.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks for the pointers. So if i am understanding correctly, higher rez at lower frame rate is the way to go which does make sense. Doesn't really matter that much if the vid is smooth but you want the best resolution possible so you can id faces, car plates, etc. The DVR I went with was the newest model that company offered in a 4 channel. I could have got their older model with 4 cameras for same price but it didn't offer nearly as many choices on recording settings so I figured go with the new model w/2 cameras and add 2 better cameras to it. I also liked the fact this unit lets you check the images thru a cellphone or internet which might come in handy since i do have to travel some.

I'll also start doing searching for the cameras you suggested. I looked at those video samples and that mon lisa chip one sure has great low light capability! I have $225 to spend on two cameras so was hoping to get two halfway decent ones for that price but if necessary, I can get one good one and one cheapie. I literally know nothing about the video cameras so all those specs are greek to me. Lots of the cameras mentioned on this thread are way out of my budget. If anyone has seen a site that reviews the lower cost cameras  in the $50-$150 range, that would sure be handy for low budget applications.

What I've heard on the CNB cameras is just scuttlebutt... I don't know that I've seen an actual formal review.  You could try googling to see if there is anything out there.

Also, consider adding some auxiliary lighting.  ALL cameras do better with more light (and it will be a deterrent for your local teenage a**holes)  Even if you can get a picture in very low-light, it's going to be grainier, B&W, and the resolution will suffer a bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks for the info grayman. Will be doing some surfing this weekend to see if I can learn more about cameras in my price range. I'm thinking that monalisa chip is something I will look for. I've found several that include that chipset in my price range. Anyone have any opinions on this one. Seems like a good price for the feature set and does have that monalisa chipset CNB VBM-24VD MONALISA OUTDOOR DOME
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Good information for the user end.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks for the info grayman. Will be doing some surfing this weekend to see if I can learn more about cameras in my price range. I'm thinking that monalisa chip is something I will look for. I've found several that include that chipset in my price range. Anyone have any opinions on this one. Seems like a good price for the feature set and does have that monalisa chipset CNB VBM-24VD MONALISA OUTDOOR DOME

There's a thread over at CCTV forums about that camera.  Incidentally, they are one of the best sites I've found for this kind of thing:  Link to thread

If you have a CCTV question, try doing a search over there... you may find the answer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
that link is exactly what I've been looking for... thanks a million grayman! Going to be reading thru it tonight but from that one thread, looks like the one I linked might be a pretty good choice and at $120 each, won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#28]
just a quick follow up to say I ended up going with a CNB VBM-24VF instead of the VD one. It was about 20 bucks more but offered the true day night feature in addition to using the monalisa chipset. Thought rather than settle for two cheaper ones, I'd get one better one and just go with three cameras for now. Hopefully it will give me a good view of the cars in the driveway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
just a quick follow up to say I ended up going with a CNB VBM-24VF instead of the VD one. It was about 20 bucks more but offered the true day night feature in addition to using the monalisa chipset. Thought rather than settle for two cheaper ones, I'd get one better one and just go with three cameras for now. Hopefully it will give me a good view of the cars in the driveway.

Post up an OPSEC-appropriate picture (license plates blacked out, etc) if you get the chance.  People are always looking for a good camera for the money, and a real-world picture is often the best way to judge.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#30]
tag and thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Your opinion
I have a light over the garage and plan on one camera there. Right side is very dark plan one one camera and IR there.
This is the system I plan to put together.
Figured IP since I'd like to only do this once and be able to add on later.
1  TRENDnet TPE-S44 10/100Mbps Switch  
1  TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G, OEM
1 Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 8810 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DVD-ROM Windows XP Pro (Off-Lease)
2 Panasonic WV-NF302
1 IR Axis T90A20
LuxRiot software
Other than wiring am I missing something?
Thanks
The house yellow represents the house walls. 6' fence starting half way down the right side encloses the yard around to the on the left garage. House is on a corner.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ger42:
Your opinion
I have a light over the garage and plan on one camera there. Right side is very dark plan one one camera and IR there.
This is the system I plan to put together.
Figured IP since I'd like to only do this once and be able to add on later.
1  TRENDnet TPE-S44 10/100Mbps Switch  
1  TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G, OEM
1 Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 8810 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DVD-ROM Windows XP Pro (Off-Lease)
2 Panasonic WV-NF302
1 IR Axis T90A20
LuxRiot software
Other than wiring am I missing something?
Thanks
The house yellow represents the house walls. 6' fence starting half way down the right side encloses the yard around to the on the left garage. House is on a corner.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Ger42/House%20Outside/Scan-1.jpg

Off the top of my head, that's pretty good... just think about how you're going to power the IR illuminator (that's a very high-quality one, BTW).  

As far as coverage, always cover the driveway... anybody who is going to break into your house will have to cart your stuff off somehow.  Always cover gates... those are perfect man-made choke-points, and great places to get a face shot.  After all... why jump a fence when there's an accessible gate?  And nobody is going to hump stolen stuff over a fence to avoid your cameras.  Alternatively, consider adding a gate alarm that activates inside the house (or get both).

I'd also cover the pool... neighborhood teenagers can't resist an accessible pool when you're out of town.  

One other important thing to note... those cameras have a nice feature.  They take an SD card... so add that into the cost of your system.  Think of it as a back-up plan.  You can have the cameras save pictures internally, as well as the stream that's going to the NVR... ensuring that unless the bad guys are motivated enough (and have enough time/gear) to open up or tear down every camera, you're still going to have some pictures of them, even if they locate/steal your Luxriot box.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Re: Post up an OPSEC-appropriate picture (license plates blacked out, etc) if you get the chance.  People are always looking for a good camera for the money, and a real-world picture is often the best way to judge.
Will do... I called before I ordered and they said it was in stock so hopefully I will have it in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#34]
[
Off the top of my head, that's pretty good... just think about how you're going to power the IR illuminator (that's a very high-quality one, BTW).  I have a spot there now but because it's so close to the sidewalk and road I've shut it down.

As far as coverage, always cover the driveway... anybody who is going to break into your house will have to cart your stuff off somehow.  Always cover gates... those are perfect man-made choke-points, and great places to get a face shot.  After all... why jump a fence when there's an accessible gate?  And nobody is going to hump stolen stuff over a fence to avoid your cameras.  Alternatively, consider adding a gate alarm that activates inside the house (or get both).

I'd also cover the pool... neighborhood teenagers can't resist an accessible pool when you're out of town.  

One other important thing to note... those cameras have a nice feature.  They take an SD card... so add that into the cost of your system.  Think of it as a back-up plan.  You can have the cameras save pictures internally, as well as the stream that's going to the NVR... ensuring that unless the bad guys are motivated enough (and have enough time/gear) to open up or tear down every camera, you're still going to have some pictures of them, even if they locate/steal your Luxriot box.

Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldrock] [#35]
got my dvr setup in yesterday and though I don't have my good camera yet, I did set up the system last night to test out the dvr and cheapie cameras that came with it. DVR worked fine but I got something seriously weird in the footage. I put a camera in the living room and let it run overnight so I could test the recorder and camera. Screening video this morning I found about a 8 second bit where this weird white ball of light flies across the living room. I'm not prone to believing in ghosts and such but have to admit this clip is pretty weird. I am kinda hoping there is some logical explanation for it.

My recorder does an hour block of video in a file so can't post the video (300 megs) but I did capture a picture of it. The white thing comes thru the picture on the wall and moves towards the camera but to the left of it. In the pic, it is in front of the tv which was off at the time since it was a few mins before the wife usually gets up. Any logical explanation for this?

no clue what it is so you guys tell me?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]

got my dvr setup in yesterday and though I don't have my good camera yet, I did set up the system last night to test out the dvr and cheapie cameras that came with it. DVR worked fine but I got something seriously weird in the footage. I put a camera in the living room and let it run overnight so I could test the recorder and camera. Screening video this morning I found about a 8 second bit where this weird white ball of light flies across the living room. I'm not prone to believing in ghosts and such but have to admit this clip is pretty weird. I am kinda hoping there is some logical explanation for it.

My recorder does an hour block of video in a file so can't post the video (300 megs) but I did capture a picture of it. The white thing comes thru the picture on the wall and moves towards the camera but to the left of it. In the pic, it is in front of the tv which was off at the time since it was a few mins before the wife usually gets up. Any logical explanation for this?

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/oldrock/misc/orb72710a.jpg

Likely out of focus particulate matter that is being sidelit.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#37]
so that happens alot when shooting video? I have to say it sure made me raise an eyebrow when I saw it this morning but I'm totally new to surv video so didn't know the light balls, dust, reflections or whatever were common stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Could be a light reflection on the dome off of who-knows-what.  Could have been a car driving by, and reflecting the sun onto the dome surface.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Could be a light reflection on the dome off of who-knows-what.  Could have been a car driving by, and reflecting the sun onto the dome surface.

Ah - forgot about the dome.  What TheGreyMan said is also a strong possibility.

Ignore any one who tries to tell you that they are "orbs" or anything supernatural, they aren't.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#40]
thanks for the info guys. I left that camera in the same spot last night just to satisfy my own curiosity and didn't see anything unusual so writing it off as a reflection or dust or whatever. Here was a series of 4 still pics so you get an idea of why it at least caught my attention. Once I get the wiring run and the good dome (CNB 24VF) cam set up over the driveway, I'll post up pics of it in daytime/night mode to show how it is working out.  

Here was a series of 4 still pics from the clip so you can see why it at least caught my attention.

you can just see the white spot in the upper left portion of the tree in the pic

now you see it clearly as little white ball

very bright white ball of light here looks to be about even with the tv

it is just about out of the field of view on this pic
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#41]
New Project!

A common question that's asked on here is whether wireless cameras are feasible.  Some posters (like Expy) have managed to make it work.  Outbuildings, gates, barns, garages... or just for people who don't want to fish walls.

It seems like it would be ideal if you could just use wifi for a few cameras, and power them locally without running cat-6.  I've always been a hard-wired-is-best purist, but a friend tipped me to a line of APs that are supposedly outdoor-tough, and reasonably priced (enterprise-grade wireless stuff gets VERY spendy, particularly the big-name stuff like Cisco).  

So I bought one... just to play with:

It's actually smaller than I thought it would be, and even comes with a PoE power supply:

The antenna port is on the top, and the cable comes in a hole on the bottom.  It's a fairly well-sealed unit by all appearances, and is supposed to be linux-based.  I'll try to post up some more information after I've had a chance to play with it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2010 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#42]

New Project!

A common question that's asked on here is whether wireless cameras are feasible.  Some posters (like Expy) have managed to make it work.  Outbuildings, gates, barns, garages... or just for people who don't want to fish walls.

It seems like it would be ideal if you could just use wifi for a few cameras, and power them locally without running cat-6.  I've always been a hard-wired-is-best purist, but a friend tipped me to a line of APs that are supposedly outdoor-tough, and reasonably priced (enterprise-grade wireless stuff gets VERY spendy, particularly the big-name stuff like Cisco).  

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquity/APbox.jpg
It's actually smaller than I thought it would be, and even comes with a PoE power supply:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquity/APopenbox.jpg
The antenna port is on the top, and the cable comes in a hole on the bottom.  It's a fairly well-sealed unit by all appearances, and is supposed to be linux-based.  I'll try to post up some more information after I've had a chance to play with it.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Ubiquity/APinhand.jpg

Hmm..that looks pretty cool.  I've been a network engineer for over a decade and if that works well as an outdoor AP I may have to put a camera near my outbuildings.

I've been watching Ebay closely for a deal on used Mobotix D12's, and have not seen anything this week.

Anyone use the IPAD as a viewer for their cameras?  Curious to know how well the Mobotix cameras would work with that setup.  DVR is one thing, but I'd like the ability to pick up a tablet and quickly see what's going on LIVE from the comfort of wherever I am at.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 5:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#43]
Originally Posted By angrymarmot:

New Project!

Hmm..that looks pretty cool.  I've been a network engineer for over a decade and if that works well as an outdoor AP I may have to put a camera near my outbuildings.  

I've been watching Ebay closely for a deal on used Mobotix D12's, and have not seen anything this week.

Anyone use the IPAD as a viewer for their cameras?  Curious to know how well the Mobotix cameras would work with that setup.  DVR is one thing, but I'd like the ability to pick up a tablet and quickly see what's going on LIVE from the comfort of wherever I am at.

I've been playing with it a bit today... looks pretty solid, and has a metric ton of options and adjustments in the config pages.  I'm amazed as the functionality for the price.

I might actually replace my current home AP with one of these.

ETA:  there is supposedly an Iphone app for mobotix... but they work natively with Android and Windows Mobile 6.  I've not tested any of the apple stuff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#44]

I've been playing with it a bit today... looks pretty solid, and has a metric ton of options and adjustments in the config pages.  I'm amazed as the functionality for the price.

I might actually replace my current home AP with one of these.

ETA:  there is supposedly an Iphone app for mobotix... but they work natively with Android and Windows Mobile 6.  I've not tested any of the apple stuff.

If there was an Android tablet that had integrated 3G capability (with the same no-contract deal through ATT or Verizon), I'd much rather get that, but no one has produced a tablet yet that competes with the iPAD realistically.  I'll wait for now, rather than pay $650 for the IPAD.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:23:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#45]
Originally Posted By angrymarmot:

New Project!

We are sitting at an airshow and have access to roughly 10 cams in 2 different locations 1000 miles apart. [I'm hooked]

Right now using a Verizon USB 720 modem, Cradlepoint router, and it serves the PC in the trailer via the LAN and in the vehicle, serves the Acer netbook via 802.11a wireless.

Some of the cams go though 2 separate bridges totaling about 15 miles before going into the cable ISP and then to the Verizon modem here.

Here's a pix I downloaded yesterday, using an Axis 213 PTZ cam in the barn going thru all those hops... The cam is about 50 feet away from the thermometers and you can almost read them!

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:24:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARfanboy] [#46]
I just purchased a Panasonic BB-HCM715 IP Camera.  Will also purchase the Trendnet POE switch as well.  I plan on monitoring my main living quarters using my Iphone4.  Will post more once it is operational.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#47]
Oh, that's an Axis 211 cam near the left center of the pix monitioring temperatures on another IP addy. The temp gauges are illuminated by a Home-D LED lansdscape light, the black object.

The Axis PTZ isn't zoomed in all the way or we could easily read the thermometers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#48]
BTW, that AP can be purchased from these guys for less than 100 bucks.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Heck of a thread you've put together - this should get copied into the Library as a camera FAQ
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#50]
really enjoying reading this thread. I have 3 of my 4 cameras up and running now so thought I would post pics of the CNB VBN-24VF compared to the cheapies that came with the DVR. I will say these pics were recorded at CIF since I still can't figure out how to change the recording resolution on the DVR yet but I am still on the learning curve. I probably still need to do alot of tweaking on the dome camera but at least it is mounted and zoomed where I wanted it to overlook the driveway. I'll post up night pics once tomorrow. Not nearly sa crisp as your high res cams but considering I have under $500 invested, I think it should work for us.

cheapie cam #1 showing the street corner/front yard. This image is tinted kinda brown so not sure if maybe cam is bad

cheapie cam #3 showing side yard and bass boat. This one seems better than the other cheapier color wise

this is the 24vf camera. All I've done is adjust the zoom so still need to do the image tweaking but I really like this camera so far
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top