Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
My cross-country GHB (Page 1 of 14)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:36:25 AM EDT
I work around the country and I mostly travel by air. For the last year I have been modifying and adding to my cross-continental GHB.

My threat scenarios include natural and man made disasters. I am fairly familiar with both; Rodney King - day 2, WTO from the start, NOLA from day 5, a couple fine African countries during violence, and Iraq.

I am not prepared for full scale or near full scale nuclear war. Nor am I prepared to be at ground zero for a CBRNE attack, but I have basic equipment to try to get out of a fallout area.

My GHB must also be everyday useable and provide comfort during inconveniences, as I have limited space and weight with air travel and at least one full checked bag must be work stuff and half of another minimum for normal clothes and such.

I have set it up to provide comfort for power outages, multi-day airline delays (stuck at the airport in snow, etc) and any other small situations I could think of.

The bag it all goes in. For flight the side pouches (SAW pouches) come off and go in my checked luggage) the bag is a SDS “conflict”. I like it overall but it may go away and become something smaller and my checked bag may become a larger more comfortable ruck. The bag has a 3L bladder in it.

Repair kit (9.8 oz) that goes in the bottom of the ruck. Sewing kit with iron on patch and lots of safety pins, crazy glue, gorilla tape, McNett sil fix and field repair kit put in a airborne canister wrapped with 20’ of 20ga wire covered with gorilla tape, platypus patches, bicycle repair patches, and a air mattress hot bond repair kit, and 16’ of 550

Hygiene kit (9.3oz) moist wipes, toilet paper, body glide, deet, sunblock, lip balm, tooth brush, soap, signal mirror. All in stick form, so no security problems. Not in the picture – purification tabs.

Snivel kit (6.8oz) bunch of blister stuff, iodine pads and antibiotic ointment, alka-seltzer, band aids and tape, cough drops, pills: pain, diarrhea, sleep, allergy, vitamins, probiotics.

Early warning kit (6.3oz) two personal alarms, trip wire, nails and eye screws.

Trauma kit (1lb 5oz) CAT, 2 curlex, 2 nasal airways, dressing, cravat, gloves, 2 needles, 2 ashermans, coban. (need a epi pen and need to reduce the weight of the bag)

Burning plane and hotel escape (7.9oz) nomex gloves, wool balaclava, breathing mask. Gloves and balaclava are obviously useful for more than getting out of a fire. (I try to wear natural fiber clothes, to include underwear, on the plane)

Radio (2lb 11oz) kenwood w extra battery and AA battery pack, antenna, 12v charger, notebook, space pen, photon light. I’d like to make this a lot lighter but it’s what I have and I don’t want to spend any more money on radios right now.

Misc electronics and B&E (3lb 11oz) 12V chargers for everything, long wire antenna for radio, alligator clip cigarette lighter (Even after a major event there will be plenty of car batteries and I can charge everything I carry off of 12v) large lock pick kit, hot wire kit.

Cooking: 2 T-cups, T spoon, 2oz alcohol stove, esbit, alcohol, lighter.

Shelter: what I take depends on the season. Snugpack jungle bag, Integral Designs 5’x8’ poncho, T stakes, spectra line, Thermolite sleeping bag liner (I usually sleep with this in hotels and take it with my in the airport), Heatsheets bivy, gossamer gear R2.27 ¾ length 8oz pad

Misc: Full size travel towel (I use it as my on plane blanket also), inflatable neck pillow, head-over bug net, puffy jacket (primaloft w/ hood) this is my main in-airport shelter and my second pillow for on the plane.

Other stuff in my ruck: nalgene bottle w/ coffee filter, e-lite, surefire, water heater, monocular, airborne container w $10 quarters, aviators’ signal panel, fire starter, whetstone, spork, disposable poncho and 2 breathing masks, 123 batteries, scrub pad, visor ID flag

All the stuff I normally have on my person or in my jacket/vest:
G19 /x mag, Kramer leather, 2 spydercos, aviator, cingular 8525 w internet, leatherman, small pick kit, small snivel kit, compass (my watch also has a compass and altimeter) storm lighter, notebook & space pen, cloth zip ties, and money ( I try to always travel with at least $1000 extra cash just-in-case – I’ve been in a no-power situation were I ended up renting a car from a third rate type place for cash, if you have enough you can do most anything. I should up the amount.)

Things I will add, but have been to lazy to get: GPS kit for 8525, full database of everyone I know around the country, database of repeaters; 80GB Ipod for said databases, movies, computer files, maps, etc.

Things I have that I have considered adding: G19 AA 22lr w archangel, PVS14 w headmount.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Those sporks are the shit arn't they I've got a few and love them!
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Waldo:

No food? How far are you going to get on a couple of cough drops?

Farther than 99.9% of the populace with ease.

Since I can't carry enough food to get across even a good sized state on foot, carrying all my food from the start is not part of the plan.

I did not list the totality of my GH plan, just my equipment. Getting food is part of my planning, but I have no problem going 3+ weeks without eating if it is a serious enough situation.

I do carry 1-2 full days of snacks just for convenience in the airport, etc.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:09:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: georgiarebel6165] [#5]
Looks good.  

Only thing I'd add is that a LEO could give you a hard time about the pills not being in their prescription bottles pre-SHTF.  Ex - getting pulled over for a traffic stop.

Over the counter stuff shouldn't be a problem, but you could have some explaining to do if you run into a jerk.  Probably at the same time a group of illegals drive by stuffed 20 to the van.  

GR
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#6]
That is an excellent set-up RAGNAR.

I'll echo the comments about meds...if any of them are controlled, I'd chuck them in their original 'scrip containers.

I'm going to have to update my own bag now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JIMBEAM] [#7]
Have you had any problems carrying the lock pick?

Can you tell me more about the personal alarms?

Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
You mention that you can use that stuff in case of plane crash.  Which airline will let you carry that bag on the plane as a carry on?  I think it would be great to have some of that stuff with you on a plane, but I envision being harassed for hours at any security checkpoint with that stuff.

The only items that are plane crash specific are the breathing mask, wool hood and nomex gloves. The same items I would use to exit a burning building. The 6P is in the same pouch as this stuff.

About half the items (the ones that go in the SAW pouches) come of and go in checked baggage.

I have carried all of this +/- for about a year, no problems.

I have carried almost all of it as carry on a few times but the bag is too big. Just pulled all the knives, lighters, liquid, and the pick sets. I pull the trauma bag and go with just a cravat, culex, and dressing on the plane.

I have a little orange stuff sack that I de-rig into, all the stuff off my body and from the pack. I put it in my checked luggage and then I know were everything is.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#10]
You've got a versatile and complex setup there. Good for you, I like it.

I agree about keeping the pain meds with their prescription bottle, never know when someone would want to put another 'feather' in their cap.

ETA, To save weight and volume and since the coax is relatively short, I'd consider replacing it with the teflon version of RG-174, it's RG-316 or some number similar and use quality SMA conx [the good ones off eBay for cheap, not the imported ones altho they are probably OK to 450 MHz or higher, just don't have the good berilyum-cooper finger inside sometimes.

The additional RF loss might be offset by the other advantages.

Also, consider changing the flashlights to the new Fenix.

I can't find the picks in the pics.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
Have you had any problems carrying the lock pick?

Can you tell me more about the personal alarms?

I have never had a problem with the picks, I'm a member of
The Associated Locksmiths of America Inc. (ALOA) and a SFC in SF. I don't forsee a problem.

The alarms are something I made up. They are the stupid "personal alarms" they sell that you are supposed to pull and then the noise scares away your attacker. I just painted them and added the trip wire. Perfect for a stairwell or doorway and could still be used in the woods.

For this type of an emergency I don't see myself living in the woods. I am much more likely to be in a building no one else is using right now.

As far as the meds, when I add my epi pen and antibiotics I will keep the scrip with them. But honestly I do not forsee a time when LE will be rifling through my bag to that level.

For starters I would never give LE permission to search myself, my vehicle, or my bags. That alone takes care of 99% of the problem.

I also have tsa locks that I can secure all the bags compartments with if I thought I needed to (if I was traveling in an emergency with other people for one) not real security but now someone has to wake you up to get in your bag instead of just easily stealing stuff.

Link Posted: 7/7/2007 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:

As far as the meds, when I add my epi pen and antibiotics I will keep the scrip with them. But honestly I do not forsee a time when LE will be rifling through my bag to that level.

For starters I would never give LE permission to search myself, my vehicle, or my bags. That alone takes care of 99% of the problem.

I understand where you are coming from.  

However, the last thing you want is to get into confrontation with some local LE in BFE.  You may or may not have the chance to identify yourself.  Foresight and evasion are always part of preparedness, but none of us can be at a threatcon level that allows us to make the right choices 100% of the time.

I have both mil and FED LE credentials, but I am also aware that Murphy is lurking right around the corner.

There may come a time when the decision to search your bags is not up to you or the LE you are dealing with are ignorant of the law.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Where did you get the alarms I would like to get some.

Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice,  

Is there any provision for water filteration?

seem's that a foil pack of mainstay ration cubes would

augument the bag nicely, maybe some quick-clot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.streetdefender.com/MC-223-S.htm

This is the ones I got. My requirements were foremost that they have two attachment points so they could be rigged in a trip wire system. Next I wanted them small and light.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Ragnar, as in Ragnar Benson?
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By 944turbo:
Ragnar, as in Ragnar Benson?

Hardly, Ragnar as a old Ranger Battalion play on words.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 7:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#19]

The alarms are something I made up. They are the stupid "personal alarms" they sell that you are supposed to pull and then the noise scares away your attacker. I just painted them and added the trip wire. Perfect for a stairwell or doorway and could still be used in the woods.

That's freakin' genius right there.

I bookmarked this.

ETA: I dunno if you noticed this, but your leatherman is pink.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Tight-group:
Very nice,  

I just wrote a long response to this and my computer went down and I lost it. I’ll try to get time to rewrite it tonight. Thanks for all the comments, thats why I posted my bag. I like to hear other’s ideas, even if I don’t agree.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Do as you wish, and in a perfect world I agree with you 100% on the search, but post 9-11 America at a late night road block a LE only needs probable cause to do a search for anything, and if you refuse you could end up having free room and board for the night if not longer.  Just seems too much of a risk for the hassle.  I'd wait for post-SHTF to throw them in a true BO situation.  Other than that I'd keep them at the house

GR
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 9:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _RAGNAR_] [#22]

Very nice,  

It’s all a space/weight trade off. I have a carry-on and two 50# checked bags. One 50# is for work, another 20-30+# depending on weather and length of trip is personal clothes and gear. Bags themselves weigh 5-10#, so you start running out or room and weight really fast. This doesn’t just sit in a trunk, I travel with it 2+ times a month. If it starts to be a royal pain it will end up getting left at home.

I have considered a water filter. Before going to NOLA I would have told you all I needed was tabs, now I’m not so sure.

I can do a primary screening using my aviators panel and the nalgene coffee filter (I would do this even with a water filter just to save the filter)

The water filter would get rid of a lot, even most fallout particulate, but I don’t know if even it would make NOLA water safe to drink. I imagine most chemicals would go right through, but I don’t know much about chemicals and microns and such. Drinking feces is not on my high to-do-list, filtered and purified feces sounds better than just purified feces, but neither sounds very good. I have not made a decision on whether to have a filter and if yes, which one. Still working on that one.

As far as food, same thing applies. Does having a couple thousand calories really help? It is far more psychological than physical. For most people it’s a big deal. Like the guy who is making a bag for his wife, she probably will be significantly impaired if she has to go without meals of some sort. Food is the lowest priority on the list (Air, shelter, water, food) for a reason. I have had my education in suffering multiple times, not eating for a while will be no big deal.

I carry approx 2 days of food onto the airplane, I always get another 1-2 days worth when I get to my destination for snacks and to replace what I ate on the trip in preparation for the return flight. One of the first things I will do upon notification of a serious problem is get 20 cans of spam and liter or two of olive oil. Not usually the first stuff that will be gone from the shelves.

As far as quick-clot and the others, contrary to popular opinion I don’t believe they work. I will qualify that. I don’t believe they work for life threatening bleeding. They work for scary bleeding, but there is no evidence to support the idea they will reliably stop what a tourniquet will, what a proper wound packing will, or what a clamp will stop. Scary bleeding just needs conventional aid, life-threatening bleeding needs one of the three techniques listed above. Quick-clot, like CPR, is mostly about making everyone feel like they did something. A CAT can be hands free in 30 seconds, a packing a wound doesn’t take much longer. Tactical first aid is about first stopping the source of the bleed and keeping as much red stuff in the pipes as possible. It is not about covering up the red stuff so you can’t see it. I do not believe Quick-clot will stop the source of a life threatening bleed.

All decent suggestions, but with weight/space consideration I have had to make significant trade-offs. If I added three more pounds it wound be a G19 AA 22lr w/ archangel and 100 rounds, and a pvs14 with headmount. If I added three more pounds it would probably be a level IIA vest. With some very careful reconfiguration I may be able to drop two pounds and keep all my capabilities. Keeping the pack well below 30# not counting food and water would be nice.

I really want a Hennessy Hammocks hyperlight backpacker but just can’t see adding the weight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Spade:

ETA: I dunno if you noticed this, but your leatherman is pink.

It's part of my covert signaling and rapport plan. Only gay commandos notice it.

Link Posted: 7/8/2007 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]
looks like you thought of most everything.

hmm. how about a camp towel?

but then, $1000+ buys an awful amount of cloth...

I can't tell you guys the number of time my "survival stash" of cash and coin have come in handy when on a trip for business or pleasure.

Link Posted: 7/8/2007 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#25]
there is a full sized camp towel in picture 12. It one of those things that may fall by the wayside during a long walk.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess the age has something to do with it at over 50 calories play

a big part of my daily needs.  

If the event was of size and duration the city refuge concept might become

hazardus after the first week.

Seems that alot of weight could be lost with less doubles light's, knife's etc.

A cheap AA maglite with the led kit will last a loooong time and if the

radio takes the same batteries  you could dump a bunch of stuff.  the one

cig charger is all I'd pack .

looseing some of that and getting the night vision would get me a lot farther imo

I even thought  of one of those bushman knives that you put on a stick

that can be great for two and four leged threats.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]

I guess the age has something to do with it at over 50 calories play

a big part of my daily needs.  

If the event was of size and duration the city refuge concept might become

hazardus after the first week.

Seems that alot of weight could be lost with less doubles light's, knife's etc.

A cheap AA maglite with the led kit will last a loooong time and if the

radio takes the same batteries  you could dump a bunch of stuff.  the one

cig charger is all I'd pack .

looseing some of that and getting the night vision would get me a lot farther imo

I even thought  of one of those bushman knives that you put on a stick

that can be great for two and four leged threats.

I’m not sure I understand all of your post. I have no plan of being a refuge. There is some redundancy, I could reduce some, and will. But not much without having a point of critical failure. I carry some things on me, some in my jacket and others in the pack. As I move up the chain from body to pack the things become heavier and better. Some weight (maybe a pound) could be discarded during an event do to redundancy, but then if later I loose either the pack or the jacket I may have lost important equipment.

One light stays with the breathing mask, hood, and gloves and goes with me in my airline seat, my jacket doesn’t usually, it’s in the overhead. If I loose my pack I want some capabilities on me and if I loose my jacket I need some on my body. I could transfer the light from my jacket to my seat, but because of my work its best to have two surefires anyway.

I have considered a AA LED light. I don’t plan on using my surefires much, that’s what the e-lite is for, so I’m not deep on batteries and have no recharge ability on the surefires.

I am going to dump the extra battery for the radio and just stick with the AA pack as an extra. If I reduce the chargers just to the universal charger, I have no backup if something goes wrong with it, and all my electronics are for nothing. The universal charger is for backup and I have a primary 12v charger for each item.

I carry two pocket knives on me, they weigh 4oz total. The leatherman is for the tools, not for the knife. I’d almost rather it didn’t have a knife so I could leave it in my carry on. I plan to add a small bit set also. I could loose the mini-leatherman and will now that I have scissors in my sewing kit.

I don’t see myself ever using a spear for anything but fun.

I'm doing a layout and re-weigh of everything today, and I am going to figure out how to drop a few pounds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Where did you get the alarms?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
Where did you get the alarms?  

http://www.streetdefender.com/MC-223-S.htm
these are the only ones I found with two attachment points
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks I travel a lot and these would be good for hotel use.

Link Posted: 7/8/2007 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
That is an awesome setup you have there. I will be updating my GHB based on some of your ideas. Could you please answer a couple of questions? Where did you get the trip wire and reel for your perimeter security, and where did you get the Body Glide from? Again, awesome setup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By knowledgegreen:
That is an awesome setup you have there. I will be updating my GHB based on some of your ideas. Could you please answer a couple of questions? Where did you get the trip wire and reel for your perimeter security, and where did you get the Body Glide from? Again, awesome setup.

The trip wire came from some random surplus store, and the body glide came from REI. I figured since I don't road march every week anymore the body glide might help chaffing. Never actually used it. I need a 1oz bagbalm container also.

One of the reasons my kit is a little different is as soon as the NG is deployed I should be able to walk right up and be brought into the fold, so to speak. Of course I have gear in case that doesn't work out.

Any other questions or ideas?
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
water tabs?
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Very nice,  

As far as quick-clot and the others, contrary to popular opinion I don’t believe they work. I will qualify that. I don’t believe they work for life threatening bleeding. They work for scary bleeding, but there is no evidence to support the idea they will reliably stop what a tourniquet will, what a proper wound packing will, or what a clamp will stop. Scary bleeding just needs conventional aid, life-threatening bleeding needs one of the three techniques listed above. Quick-clot, like CPR, is mostly about making everyone feel like they did something. A CAT can be hands free in 30 seconds, a packing a wound doesn’t take much longer. Tactical first aid is about first stopping the source of the bleed and keeping as much red stuff in the pipes as possible. It is not about covering up the red stuff so you can’t see it. I do not believe Quick-clot will stop the source of a life threatening bleed.

I agree with this.  I can't see it shutting down a severed brachial, for instance.  I keep a couple of packs in my BOB but I'm reaching for the tourniquet, direct pressure supplies, and/or a couple of hemostats for anything serious.  I suppose I might try to use it to stanch a nasty scalp wound.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By just-mike:
water tabs?

I have two bottles of tabs, one was in the misc bag and one was normally in the hygiene bag but it was in another pouch because I had just been using them.

i just got some of those chlorine flat packed ones also I may put a tab or two in the jacket.

I just used tabs again for the first time in about ten years. I used to use them every damn week and didn't care about the taste a bit. Last week they sure tasted bad. I may need to get those double bottles with the second tab that kills the taste of the first tab.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By just-mike:
water tabs?

I have two bottles of tabs, one was in the misc bag and one was normally in the hygiene bag but it was in another pouch because I had just been using them.

i just got some of those chlorine flat packed ones also I may put a tab or two in the jacket.

I just used tabs again for the first time in about ten years. I used to use them every damn week and didn't care about the taste a bit. Last week they sure tasted bad. I may need to get those double bottles with the second tab that kills the taste of the first tab.

an acquired taste to be sure
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _RAGNAR_] [#37]

Originally Posted By Radiant556:
.  I suppose I might try to use it to stanch a nasty scalp wound.

Watch for chemical burns that could scar the face and eye contact.

two of my main non-life threatening wound supplies are duct tape and superglue.

Anybody ever used that emergency dental stuff? Superglue works ok if you have a piece of tooth to put back on but what if you don't have a piece to put back on?
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Radiant556] [#38]

Originally Posted By Radiant556:
.  I suppose I might try to use it to stanch a nasty scalp wound.

Watch for chemical burns that could scar the face and eye contact.

two of my main non-life threatening wound supplies are duct tape and superglue.

Anybody ever used that emergency dental stuff? Superglue works ok if you have a piece of tooth to put back on but what if you don't have a piece to put back on?

Yeah, I thought about that.  QC in the eye would probably sting a little bit.

I have used the emergency filling shit once on a Saturdaywhen I lost a filling just to see if it would work.  It did, well enough to make it till Tuesday to see the dentist.  It covered the exposed pulp well enough that I could eat without the molar singing the Ave Maria.

ETA: I'm actually working on mine and my wife's bags right now.  I'll snap some pics in the process...
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 5:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#39]
I travel 3 to 4 weeks a months and many of my trips include multiple plane rides.

My kit is much, much smaller. I would like to have a little more, but I am great an improvisation and making things out of nothing. I would easily drop the lock pick, wiring for 12v charging as this can be cut out of a vehicle during SHTF.

My kit is spread throughout my computer back pack (which doubles as my GHB), and my luggage.

I carry:
Leatherman surge
benchmade stryker folder
Coast Tac torch (3 AA batts)
surefire U2
extra batteries
30ft. of para cord. (may increase)
small TI pot
TI spoon
Sweet water filter with viral guard
AMK bivy bag
compass
princeton tech led head lamp
mosquito repellent
storm whistle
bandana
Strike force fire starter without fuel tab
katadyn micropur tablets
thermometer (you may not know when it is dangerously cold)
OTC pain medication
benedryl
bandaids
anti diarrheal (loperamide)full bottle
gold bond powder travel size
medical tape
gauze for wrapping
gauze pads
hemostat
toe nail scizzor
super glue
hand sanitizer
extra tooth brush
vivarin tablets
triple anti ointment
heavy sweat jacket
duct tape
2 battle dressings
compressed muslin bandage ala military first aid kit
all my work clothes that are comfortable enough for short term Bug out.
In winter I carry a wind and water proof jacket for over the sweat shirt.

Most of this stuff is in a clear lexan container that could be used for carrying food in because it has strap slots. Some stuff I left off because it is in almost everyones toiletries bag.

I am planning on adding a few more items like a true BOK.

Your list has given me some things to think about for sure.
Glad to see other travelers who are thinking about this stuff.

Edited to add the 2L platypus I keep in my back pack.

The expensive computer gets sold or throw away.

Link Posted: 7/8/2007 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Thanks for listing your stuff. I’ll look all of it up and see if some of it is better choices than what I’ve made.

I can improvise also. The question become how much do I want to and what are the costs and benefits? I know in 30 minutes in any urban setting I can have shelter and decent sleeping from any weather. I really don’t need any more shelter than the clothes I am wearing. But the problem comes from how you look both to the man and the public at large. One of the things my GH plan hinges on is always looking like I’m from the good guy team and I’m just trying to make my way back across the country to my family (which is true)

Wearing a trashbag, clothes stuffed with newspaper, and balaclava made from bubblewrap; with a pad from a lawnchair and a flag as a puptent isn’t helping first impressions.

Right now my look should allow me to approach any checkpoint and be brought into the fold; or to approach almost any house, knock on the door, explain my situation and be allowed to sleep in the garage for a night.

One of the reasons I’m light on clothes and shelter is that I know I don’t need much. I can sleep in the snow in a summer rated bag using all my other clothes as part of the system. I really don’t even need the bag in an urban environment but it makes life easier. I don’t plan on carrying it unless it’s below 30. But you bring up good points, and I’ve been debating the shelter thing with myself from the beginning. I could probably do any weather with my raingear and my puffy jacket.

BTW my best urban test was in Buffalo in Jan, about 10 degrees and snowing. All I had was the clothes I was wearing (appropriate for walking outside in the winter) and a poncho liner. Within 15 minutes in a downtown area I found a secure sleeping area and was comfortable for the next eight hours. All it took was looking around and about 20# of free newspapers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I will also be studying your list as I am sure to find some pointers in there.

I don't have a tarp with me so I will be picking up the lightest version I can find asap.

My winter kit includes some thin polypro thermal undies that are very warm and comfy. My last trip to Minnesota was in 20 below temps and then did a wonderful job.

Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#42]

I've personally swapped all my synthetics for wool and I’m happy I did. I think they are warmer than any of the synthetics I’ve used and sleep better wet (more comfortable and dry better while worn). They also don’t melt to the side of your drink cup or to your muffler. (done both and a bunch more) I didn’t know I didn’t like my synthetics until I tried modern merino wool.

I personally choose the poncho tarp over just the tarp so in really bad rain I could put it over me and my gear, and in the worst case use it to protect me and my gear while moving out of a contaminated area. It cost another oz or two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Also, consider changing the flashlights to the new Fenix.

I can't find the picks in the pics.

I never seen a fenix in person so I’ve been weary of getting one, but they look interesting.

My small pick set, warded key set, and shims are on my jacket, lower center, with a spyderco sitting on top of the case.

The large set (with tubular pick not shown) is in picture nine, left side, zippered case.

I could reduce these by an oz or so, I have too many redundant picks. But with these I can get through the majority of American locks.

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I rember reading in a post by some guy who supposedly worked in civil water purification that chemical purification w/o filtration is ineffectual b/c some kinds of microbes can hide from the chemical agent in particles to which they are attached like little clay particles.  You might should look into this and consider getting a filter.  

I confess that I don't know just how small of particles that we are talking about here.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Very good info on you load out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#46]
oh man...you guys are trouble, I am sitting in my hotel room reading this and realizing just how unprepared my bag is....I travel 85-90% of the time, I drive if the drive time is less then 8 hours so I am able to take a little more with me, but what a great setup for flying...

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I just spent the entire day (14hrs total) flying from Cleveland, OH to San Francisco and driving to Gilroy, CA. I didn't even bother to see the customer today as it was after 3:30pm by time I got to the hotel I am sitting in. I just used some of my free time to go to a local sporting good store and buy a vinyl poncho. I don't have my wind proof jacket with me because of the warm weather.

I almost bought a North Face bag that was rated for 40 degrees and was quite small. Maybe one of these fleece bags would go inside of my AMK bivy bag for a good combination of heat retention and warmth. The fleece bags were $10. Probably wouldn't be such as good idea as it would hold moisture and get wet easily.

My next destination is Modesto, CA. Maybe I can find a good camping supply store there.

My next major purchase will probably be a sil nylon tarp that I can use for shelter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#48]
the Arktis Halo lis great for a really small packable bag.  That, plus the little polypro field pillow my wife made me when I reenlisted the last time (God love that woman - she even made sure it had its own little stuff sack/dry bag) and I can snooze like my conscience was clear down to 25 or so with a little polypro love inside the bag.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice thread in the old school format (pics and lots of 'em!)

[ctrl+s] to the library!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cerberous] [#50]
Look into solar chargers for your Elect. Equip. you may need it in the field. True SHTF are blacked out urban going to rural areas.

www.solio.com/v2/shop/shop2_cat.php?catid=1

check out the pink one for your covert signaling and rapport plan.

Great setup and great post by the way +10!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
My cross-country GHB (Page 1 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top