Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:05:23 PM EDT
I always feel I could of done much more for this country.  Went to Afghanistan... left the wire often but never really saw anything.  My best friend gets back and tells me all his stories of when he was there (same time as me).  CRAZY stories and CRAZY amounts of heroism that went unrecognized.  Now here I sit waiting for my EAS knowing I could of been a fucking grunt like him but I'm just a fucking POG ass bitch (AAVs).   Ineligible to reenlist so I am trying my luck with a grunt reserve unit near my area.  Whatever, I just wanted to give it my all but never had the opportunity
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you ineligible to reenlist?

I served and am proud of my service.  Never think your contribution was unimportant.  Could I have done more? Yeah but who couldn't have.   You did more than 99% of this country will ever do and that is something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Controll the controllables, accept the uncontrollables as uncontrolable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why are you ineligible to reenlist?

I served and am proud of my service.  Never think your contribution was unimportant.  Could I have done more? Yeah but who couldn't have.   You did more than 99% of this country will ever do and that is something to be proud of.

Got into some trouble early on... pretty hard to stay in the Marine Corps with even just one minor NJP.  Reserve side on the other hand... is easy to get into after active duty.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I did 10.5 years, deployed many times, also a civilian contractor that directly supports ground troops in a big way. I know I make a difference and am proud of what I do and what I've done. I've actually seen the acts I perform save lives and if I really think about it I get a bit choked up.

But yes I always wished I'd had done a combat arms type job. I was in the process of affiliating with the 20th SFG a few years back but stepped away for the current job I am doing because the money was too good. I always wished I had gone through with the Army SF thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, feel the same way.

Got out after only six years due to an unfortunately combination of injury and illness at the time. Finally getting a handle on things and I'm looking pretty hard at the NG and such. Still mutter to myself on occasion that I should have requested to extend my '06 deployment. Was embedded with a good Army unit, but being Navy my time there was a piddly 6 months. Should have stayed longer as I was finally starting to get good at that job I was doing (was tossed into a position I had never done or trained for, so I had to learn it PDQ on the job). *sigh*
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, thank you for your service. Thank you for your dedication. You have nothing to be sorry for and nothing to be down upon yourself for. You stepped up. Willingly. Millions of people in this country won't even think of doing what you did. Take pride in your achievement. Take pride in your service.

Get a job as a contractor working with the military. Get into a deployable position. Continue the good work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always feel I could of done much more for this country.  Went to Afghanistan... left the wire often but never really saw anything.  My best friend gets back and tells me all his stories of when he was there (same time as me).  CRAZY stories and CRAZY amounts of heroism that went unrecognized.  Now here I sit waiting for my EAS knowing I could of been a fucking grunt like him but I'm just a fucking POG ass bitch (AAVs).   Ineligible to reenlist so I am trying my luck with a grunt reserve unit near my area.  Whatever, I just wanted to give it my all but never had the opportunity
You are alive, some guys were not lucky enough to come home, think about them, I always do

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
After four years and two combat tours to Iraq with the Marines, I still feel I can do more. I kick myself for not trying harder to reenlist or extend when I had the chance. I've shifted my focus on becoming a Veterans Counselor so I can better help those who have served.

My military service is still my highest achievement in my life thus far, and I'll always be proud of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a lot of time deployed, spent a lot of time away from my family, but there are still people I look up to whom my sacrifices pale in comparison to.  These people have truly devoted their life to protecting this country and being professional warriors.  Maybe when I am in their shoes, I will feel like I have done enough.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. As I've said in the .mil forum. I will probably die feeling that way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done 12 years so far and within the current limits of my job, I can't really say I haven't done enough.  I did my job to the best of my ability and no one died, blew up a plane or stole anything vital to National Security on my watch so I think I've done enough.  There can always be that day that even more can be done.  I gave up worrying about not having done enough, I did a hell of alot more for my country than most people I know so thats enough comfort for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been there man.  I went to Iraq.  While we were shelled often and went outside the wire often, nothing exciting (to the average Marine) ever happened.  I kinda wish I would have joined the grunts so I could have "been in the shit" so to speak, but  I don't regret anything I've ever done.  The only people who will tell you you're a piece of shit POG is a grunt.  And that's because they fucking hate it.

Feeling like you could do more is admirable.  Show me one military person, grunts included, who doesn't feel that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
19 years, 1 left till retirement. Submarine force, and Navy diver working special projects. The shit I have done, would blow my mind if I sat back and thought about it and would probably freak a civilian out. Glad to have served and will continue to be a great citizen after I retire and support my armed forces and law enforcement brothers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
yes.  I enlisted (Army) when I was 25 back in 04.  I wish I would went in earlier.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd assume it is kind of a normal feeling. That's because we expect more from ourselves and more of ourselves as service men and women. I just graduated my mos school and I've been in the marine corps for 1 year on the 14th and I've got several friends who have been in the fleet and are deployed presently I am sad I have the feeling like I should be there with them but I could t as my training was still continuing. I guess in due time I might get to be on a MEU or what have you but I know the feeling.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I did 20 years as a an Airborne Combat Engineer, one year as a contractor in Iraq, I also feel that I could of done more...but that's the way it is...the fact that you did do something and you did honorable service to your country is in itself "having done more"...
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
At least you got to deploy. I've been in 3 1/2 years and have been told to get ready to deploy twice. One of which I volunteered for. Both times they've been canceled. I've got a friend in the Air Force and even he has deployed.

Now I've got something wrong with my muscles and am probably going to go up to a medical review board to see if they will keep me or not. Regardless of what happens I am proud as hell to be a Combat Enginner in the Marines and know that I did everything I could. As long as you do/did everything you could and put 100% into everything there is no reason to feel you could have done more. Don't worry about the stuff you have no control over.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
you can always go over as a civilian and make some cash, or you can move on and find a new purpose aka kids and a new career. You may feel like you didnt do much but your just a piece of a very large puzzle in the military, everyone has some purpose in it all.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
To the OP: thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd assume it is kind of a normal feeling. That's because we expect more from ourselves and more of ourselves as service men and women. I just graduated my mos school and I've been in the marine corps for 1 year on the 14th and I've got several friends who have been in the fleet and are deployed presently I am sad I have the feeling like I should be there with them but I could t as my training was still continuing. I guess in due time I might get to be on a MEU or what have you but I know the feeling.

I would hope that a Boot such as yourself would have the sense to capitalize Marine Corps.

To everyone who served honorably - thank you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm same boat, active 9 1/2  years in Aviation, left thinking I could come back prior service and found myself locked out.  Been in the NG in three different states now, making the jump to 12b in the middle of my 13th year of service and would suck a dick for one more tour before Afghanistan goes away like Iraq did.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Always feel like I haven't done enough.

If I wasn't so fucking broken, I'd be runnin' and gunnin' forever.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes.

Luckily being 22 allows me the option to serve if I want to. I kind of do, but I also want to get started on my career so that's why I'm mulling over the reserves or the National Call to Service.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks you OP and everyone else for their service. Don't for a second feel that you didn't do enough. I myself never served, and several guys that I went to school with didn't come home. I personally sometimes feel that I should have enlisted, but I look at my life and am very happy about where I am. So, I guess what I'm saying is that anyone who's served in any branch for any amount of time, has done more than most of us. Hold your head high, and be proud.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would hope that a Boot such as yourself would have the sense to capitalize Marine Corps.

To everyone who served honorably - thank you.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top