Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
I am posting two videos for the LE crew to review.  The videos are of the same incident but taken from different dashcams and the view is shocking to say the least.  In the first cam it appears as though the Officers have violated just about every policy known and violated the suspects civil rights.  The second video shows the WHOLE story and provides a very clear cut lifesaving situation.  These videos are further proof that what is recorded on a little bitty screen without any peripheral vision is NEVER the whole story.

Shreveport PD Video 01

Click here to watch Shreveport-PD-01

Shreveport Video 02

Click here to watch Shreveport-PD-02

Note - These were not received on a secure website and were not marked as LE only.

Link Posted: 6/6/2006 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Point taken.  Wow.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
POINT TAKEN.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The camera doesn't lie, it just might not show all.

How many rounds did he take before he fell?  Damn.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw that a couple years ago. IIRC the perp had a cell phone in his hand, not a firearm. But serves him right for pretending he had one. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different video...

Either way, don't bring a cell phone to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That bastard took some hits before going down!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
That'll teach him to "show his ass"!
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged to show FTO.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know the story behind this?

You can bet that video 1 would be used by libs to show how "evil" cops are...
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a third camera as well.  

I have all three views and I use them in training classes.

I also have the video of the gun that looks like a cell phone that I show after they have seen the dash-cam vids.

It changes perspectives.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Great post, thanks for posting this TLD.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have mixed emotions about cameras, but they seem to help more than hurt.  I guess I should rephrase that, as long as you follow the rules they help more than they hurt.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
thank you
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow!

Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wonder what drugs he was on.  Drugs might also explain why he was walking away and pointing a cell phone at the cops he was leading on a chase...
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
DAMN!  He deserved that.  I'm shocked he was shot sooner when the initial arresting officer went for the take down.  Good shoot.

IBTMMQ (In Before The Monday Morning Quarterback)

-MEI

Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
WOW!!! That's is amazing! It's like watching two different videos! I'm glad for those officers that the second dashcam got the true view of the situation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#18]
One video, career ender, possibly jail time.
Two video, Grand Jury clear.

ETA: Is there an article or dispostion of the case to add to the video?
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have them so we can "save file as" to our computer? And the third to do the same?
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do you have them so we can "save file as" to our computer? And the third to do the same?

uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/15621234314.wmv
uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/15621255252.wmv

Excellent videos, they make the point quite clearly, thank you for sharing them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy crap!  What a difference 15 degrees of angle in point of view makes....

Woody
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/15621234314.wmv
uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/15621255252.wmv

Excellent videos, they make the point quite clearly, thank you for sharing them.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The camera doesn't lie, it just might not show all.

How many rounds did he take before he fell?  Damn.

One.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Holy crap!  What a difference 15 degrees of angle in point of view makes....

Woody

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn! I'm kinda curious what Caliber and type of rounds they were using and if drugs were involved, more than likely.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
For those not counting, that a minimum of eight round I saw, more likely ten. It looks like at least one went high into the triangle or the lower head, probably the real fight ender.

I think I'd have shot him the first time the object was point at the other officer, not the second time, but I'm not there. Thankfully.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
There was a third camera as well.  

I have all three views and I use them in training classes.

I also have the video of the gun that looks like a cell phone that I show after they have seen the dash-cam vids.

It changes perspectives.

So it was a cell phone he was waving around?!?

Damn! Looked like a small caliber chrome plated gun to me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:26:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Did the first cop take a shot when he had his gun to the perp's forehead?

Looks like he just missed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#30]
So what we are saying is...

It's ok to shoot someone in the back who has a cell phone, who is walking away and no longer posing a threat
Yes I did watch both clips.

I'm gonna pay for this one I think.
Taffyadvocate

Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's ok to shoot someone in the back who has a cell phone, who is walking away and no longer posing a threat

Taffyadvocate

No, what we are saying is it is OK to take that shot when the subject has an unknown object in his hand (BTW, there is no confirmation at this point that it was a cell phone), which he has pointed at officers in a threatening manner.

It could well have been a gun, and the guy was trying to figure out a safety, or resolve a failure.  He certainly acted like a threat.

Or do you think the officers should let a suspect get off a few shots first to make things more sporting?

Matt
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Taffyadvocate

Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
tag for home (where there are no stinking filters)
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#34]
so anyone know what the verdict on that shooting was?

My View on Camera's: They can either be really good or really bad.  We use they to solve citizen complaints against officers on traffic stops and other events when they complain the officer was rude and what not.  I use mine faithfully, but not all of our officers do and it isnt policy that we use them, but it is highly recommended.  I really like to use them for OUI arrest.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/7/2006 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
... I use mine faithfully, but not all of our officers do and it isnt policy that we use them, but it is highly recommended.  I really like to use them for OUI arrest.

Really?  It is optional?  I would think that that might be a problem if an officer was involved in a shooting and he/she either was one of those who doesn't normally use the camera or who does but forgot to turn it on.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#37]
interesting
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Tagaroo for my continuing education later today.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I use mine faithfully, but not all of our officers do and it isnt policy that we use them, but it is highly recommended.  I really like to use them for OUI arrest.

Really?  It is optional?  I would think that that might be a problem if an officer was involved in a shooting and he/she either was one of those who doesn't normally use the camera or who does but forgot to turn it on.

I think when we do our annual SOP review its going to be changed.  Chief is ordering use cases to wear on our belts for the mics and i think that is why guys arent using them, but i bought my own so i can use it.  I havent lost an OUI case since i have been using it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taffyadvocate

No, what we are saying is it is OK to take that shot when the subject has an unknown object in his hand (BTW, there is no confirmation at this point that it was a cell phone), which he has pointed at officers in a threatening manner.

It could well have been a gun, and the guy was trying to figure out a safety, or resolve a failure.  He certainly acted like a threat.

Or do you think the officers should let a suspect get off a few shots first to make things more sporting?

Matt

It was a cell phone, but it was presented as if it were a weapon.

The third video shows the suspect walking away and pointing the cellphone/apparent gun behind him at the responding officers.

The third video really provides some clarification.

Unfortunately, I cant remember where I got them from and I can't post them.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#42]
[doubletap]
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#43]
As the site states, the shooting could have been avoided if the guy had:

1. Stopped for the first police car.
2. Stopped at any time during the chase.
3. Stayed in his stopped car until ordered out.
4. Got out of his car with nothing in his hands.
5. Not pointed the cell phone like a gun.
6. Not resisted the officer trying to stop him.
7. Stopped and raised his hands when he saw the officer's gun in his face.
8. Stopped and raised his hands when the first shots were fired.
9. Not turned around pointing the cell phone again while being chased.
10. Dropped to the ground at any time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It was a low budget flick.  They couldnt afford that cord thingy yanks stunt men backwards through the air.
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I live in Shreveport and I remember this , the guy did have a cell phone not a gun, the officers were cleared as a justified shoot. It caused a big shit storm here in the black community for awhile.

ETA: The police here carry 9MM, obviously that was the problem
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Officers should verify their policies.  some still read "immediate" threatened use of deadly force before being able to use deadly force in return.  They should read imminent fear of deadly force.  that can cause issues....

Though I am not a large fan of the 9mm either, i recognize that the issue is often selection of the projectile not just its diameter.  As well as shot placement.  We have had several one shot stops with 9mm Speer 124 gr +P GDHP.  Suspects pronouned DRT on scene.
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#47]
gonna agree-  1 camera= bad outcome for cop. 2 cameras =whole story, justified shooting.IMO

Roy
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
As the site states, the shooting could have been avoided if the guy had:

1. Stopped for the first police car.
2. Stopped at any time during the chase.
3. Stayed in his stopped car until ordered out.
4. Got out of his car with nothing in his hands.
5. Not pointed the cell phone like a gun.
6. Not resisted the officer trying to stop him.
7. Stopped and raised his hands when he saw the officer's gun in his face.
8. Stopped and raised his hands when the first shots were fired.
9. Not turned around pointing the cell phone again while being chased.
10. Dropped to the ground at any time.

check
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#49]
AGNTSA

DUPE for like the eleventybillionth time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Taffyadvocate

The man did point the cell phone directly at the officer, holding it like one would hold a handgun. The officer on the left in Video 2 believed he had a weapon because he ducked for a moment just as the man swung it past his head, and fired his weapon instinctively. Nice shooting on his part. Not enough time to decide if it's a weapon or not, so to me the shoot was justified...at least from what I saw on the tape.

Some may argue that the officer(s) were close enough to clearly identify the item, but to do that they would have to take their eyes of the sights of their weapon...not a good idea in this case, the man was moving about erratically and taking your eyes off the sights for a second is long enough to get yourself shot if he had a pistol in his hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top